How to Handle Anhedonia While on Tirz

WriteYourWay

Explorer
Joined
Feb 23, 2026
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
From what I gather, Tirzepetide lowers dopamine levels, which is what eliminates food noise and the dopamine you get from anticipating things. For me it's been very effective, yet it brings on anhedonia, so I barely want to do the activities that used to bring me pleasure. I'd really like to know whether anyone here has discovered a method to reduce this.
 
I gave it time. Eventually, my brain seemed to stop moping in the corner, crying out for more dopamine and labeling everything else "not fun enough". It let out a sigh, accepted that food wouldn't provide that anymore, and began nudging me toward other activities. These days I'm involved in plenty of other things and feel happy once more, though it took months.
 
Along with a few other things, I layer Weed on top of my Tirz. Doing that lifted my dopamine somewhat. Mary Jane, you and I are never parting ways.
 
This might stem from dropping pounds, eating less, and a slower metabolism—not necessarily from tirz alone. If you've been using it for a while and shed a good amount of weight, that could be the culprit rather than the medication itself. One option is behavioural activation: engage in activities you don't feel like doing right now, and often that leads to positive feedback that lifts mood and drive? If your time on it has been brief and weight loss is minimal, tirz is likely the cause; should it last beyond a few weeks, switching to reta could be worth considering?

Perhaps avoid dwelling on it too much—the placebo effect is powerful, and it's very easy to convince yourself these things are happening, particularly since you clearly understand how it can affect dopamine in reward pathways. On the whole, the evidence doesn't indicate that GLP's raise depression rates, implying they aren't behind anhedonia that is widespread and long-lasting.
 
randompersonrandom said:

I gave it time. Eventually, my brain seemed to stop moping in the corner, crying out for more dopamine and labeling everything else "not fun enough". It let out a sigh, accepted that food wouldn't provide that anymore, and began nudging me toward other activities. These days I'm involved in plenty of other things and feel happy once more, though it took months.

That's right.
 
Back
Top