How to get every last drop out of a vial

What causes this is how much water you use to reconstitute, plus how precise the syringe is.

Take 3 ml mixed for 10 doses at 0.3 ml each: if 0.02 ml (2 units) remains, you lose 6-7% per dose. With your numbers, the loss is nearer 20%. Lab pens typically dose 0.6 ml for this reason — accuracy is better.

A 3 or 5ml syringe is tougher to read than a 1ml one. Whenever my water volume is small (0.5 to 1.2 ml), I reach for an insulin syringe.

So: add more diluent, and pick the syringe that sits closest to your reconstitution volume.

Between easy mixing and the amount you inject, you'll need to locate your own balance. At 10 units, pens are what I use. A Gansulin just arrived: my new favorite toy

🙂
 
eidos said:

What causes this is how much water you use to reconstitute, plus how precise the syringe is.

Take 3 ml mixed for 10 doses at 0.3 ml each: if 0.02 ml (2 units) remains, you lose 6-7% per dose. With your numbers, the loss is nearer 20%. Lab pens typically dose 0.6 ml for this reason — accuracy is better.

A 3 or 5ml syringe is tougher to read than a 1ml one. Whenever my water volume is small (0.5 to 1.2 ml), I reach for an insulin syringe.

So: add more diluent, and pick the syringe that sits closest to your reconstitution volume.

Between easy mixing and the amount you inject, you'll need to locate your own balance. At 10 units, pens are what I use. A Gansulin just arrived: my new favorite toy

🙂

eidos said:

What causes this is how much water you use to reconstitute, plus how precise the syringe is.

Take 3 ml mixed for 10 doses at 0.3 ml each: if 0.02 ml (2 units) remains, you lose 6-7% per dose. With your numbers, the loss is nearer 20%. Lab pens typically dose 0.6 ml for this reason — accuracy is better.

A 3 or 5ml syringe is tougher to read than a 1ml one. Whenever my water volume is small (0.5 to 1.2 ml), I reach for an insulin syringe.

So: add more diluent, and pick the syringe that sits closest to your reconstitution volume.

Between easy mixing and the amount you inject, you'll need to locate your own balance. At 10 units, pens are what I use. A Gansulin just arrived: my new favorite toy

🙂
Neither is right.
 
BNLFL said:

eidos said:

What causes this is how much water you use to reconstitute, plus how precise the syringe is.

Take 3 ml mixed for 10 doses at 0.3 ml each: if 0.02 ml (2 units) remains, you lose 6-7% per dose. With your numbers, the loss is nearer 20%. Lab pens typically dose 0.6 ml for this reason — accuracy is better.

A 3 or 5ml syringe is tougher to read than a 1ml one. Whenever my water volume is small (0.5 to 1.2 ml), I reach for an insulin syringe.

So: add more diluent, and pick the syringe that sits closest to your reconstitution volume.

Between easy mixing and the amount you inject, you'll need to locate your own balance. At 10 units, pens are what I use. A Gansulin just arrived: my new favorite toy

🙂

eidos said:

What causes this is how much water you use to reconstitute, plus how precise the syringe is.

Take 3 ml mixed for 10 doses at 0.3 ml each: if 0.02 ml (2 units) remains, you lose 6-7% per dose. With your numbers, the loss is nearer 20%. Lab pens typically dose 0.6 ml for this reason — accuracy is better.

A 3 or 5ml syringe is tougher to read than a 1ml one. Whenever my water volume is small (0.5 to 1.2 ml), I reach for an insulin syringe.

So: add more diluent, and pick the syringe that sits closest to your reconstitution volume.

Between easy mixing and the amount you inject, you'll need to locate your own balance. At 10 units, pens are what I use. A Gansulin just arrived: my new favorite toy

🙂
Neither is right.
Please at minimum provide the reasoning.
 
ultima thule said:

Today I wrapped up a Reta vial. It contained precisely 0.1ml of liquid. My issue: I wasn't able to pull the full amount, and in the end the syringe only captured 0.08ml. Initially I figured that was simply the remainder, since some is lost each time earlier doses are drawn, but I could see a few drops still sitting in the vial that the syringe couldn't get to. Does anyone have a reliable trick for extracting all the remaining liquid from a vial that's almost empty?
A 1 1/2 inch needle on a mixing syringe will get you to the bottom of the vial, letting you pull out all of the contents.
 
eidos said:

BNLFL said:

eidos said:

What causes this is how much water you use to reconstitute, plus how precise the syringe is.

Take 3 ml mixed for 10 doses at 0.3 ml each: if 0.02 ml (2 units) remains, you lose 6-7% per dose. With your numbers, the loss is nearer 20%. Lab pens typically dose 0.6 ml for this reason — accuracy is better.

A 3 or 5ml syringe is tougher to read than a 1ml one. Whenever my water volume is small (0.5 to 1.2 ml), I reach for an insulin syringe.

So: add more diluent, and pick the syringe that sits closest to your reconstitution volume.

Between easy mixing and the amount you inject, you'll need to locate your own balance. At 10 units, pens are what I use. A Gansulin just arrived: my new favorite toy

🙂

eidos said:

What causes this is how much water you use to reconstitute, plus how precise the syringe is.

Take 3 ml mixed for 10 doses at 0.3 ml each: if 0.02 ml (2 units) remains, you lose 6-7% per dose. With your numbers, the loss is nearer 20%. Lab pens typically dose 0.6 ml for this reason — accuracy is better.

A 3 or 5ml syringe is tougher to read than a 1ml one. Whenever my water volume is small (0.5 to 1.2 ml), I reach for an insulin syringe.

So: add more diluent, and pick the syringe that sits closest to your reconstitution volume.

Between easy mixing and the amount you inject, you'll need to locate your own balance. At 10 units, pens are what I use. A Gansulin just arrived: my new favorite toy

🙂
Neither is right.
Please at minimum provide the reasoning.
What's the reason for switching up the BAC amount used in the original reconstitution? A 3ml or 5ml syringe isn't what most of us reach for. Depending on how big the shot is, I go with my Easy Touch syringes in .05 or 1ml, and there's next to no loss — I've verified it, they retain almost nothing. After filtering, I do a BAC purge. That's just how I see it.
 
When it comes to mixing, my usual tool is a 1ml syringe. This isn't about injecting.

The issue I'm raising: if you're trying to add 1 ml or more of BAC into the vial, a 3ml syringe doesn't offer enough precision.

Take two setups. First: reconstitute with 1 ml, yielding 10 doses at 10 units each. Second: reconstitute with 3 ml, yielding 10 doses at 30 units each. The second has a weaker concentration, so the volume that gets left behind is unchanged — yet the quantity of drug lost is only a third as much.
 
That decision is up to you. For my own reconstitution, I reach for 3ml and 5ml sizes since my range goes from R24 up to R60. An R140 is on its way to me, and for that one I'll use the 5ml. Even with an R30, I'll put in 3ml BAC and grab the 5ml, because that 3 ml fills it completely. Filtering is a whole different matter. What vial mg are you working with?
 
Gt3294a said:

ultima thule said:

RicFlair said:

ultima thule said:

RicFlair said:

Not sure if this is already your approach, but when a vial is down to its final dose, I pull the needle back so it's only just through the rubber stopper and inside the vial, not pushed in any further, and I hold the vial inverted so the liquid collects where the needle tip is. That way I can usually pull out nearly all of it — at worst, maybe 1 drop stays behind, which isn't anything meaningful.
I did precisely that. I kept moving the syringe plunger back and forth multiple times, yet at the end it still wouldn't work... I considered cracking the vial open and pulling the liquid straight out, but the morning rush left me with no chance to do it...
Thinking about it more, could this explain why nearly every peptide COA I come across tends to be filled above the stated amount, even if only by a little?
True, but in the end, that final dose—even if it's short by a few drops—remains smaller than every earlier dose drawn from that same vial.
If losing those few cents really bothers you, and you'd rather not borrow a bit from the vial you'll use next, just add another .2 ml of BAC. That way you'll pull out 95 percent of whatever is left behind.
If you had 1 syringe, would you split it between 2 vials, or would you do 2 separate injections?
 
BNLFL said:

That decision is up to you. For my own reconstitution, I reach for 3ml and 5ml sizes since my range goes from R24 up to R60. An R140 is on its way to me, and for that one I'll use the 5ml. Even with an R30, I'll put in 3ml BAC and grab the 5ml, because that 3 ml fills it completely. Filtering is a whole different matter. What vial mg are you working with?
With R20, I've switched to using 0.6 ml of BAC, which I move into a vial for an injection pen. That way, each dose stays at 0.3 ml (so 10mg). I'm not a fan of injecting too much BA. Reta dissolves easily up to 80 mg/ml, so there's some wiggle room.
 
DidntMakeBrownies said:

Gt3294a said:

ultima thule said:

RicFlair said:

ultima thule said:

RicFlair said:

Not sure if this is already your approach, but when a vial is down to its final dose, I pull the needle back so it's only just through the rubber stopper and inside the vial, not pushed in any further, and I hold the vial inverted so the liquid collects where the needle tip is. That way I can usually pull out nearly all of it — at worst, maybe 1 drop stays behind, which isn't anything meaningful.
I did precisely that. I kept moving the syringe plunger back and forth multiple times, yet at the end it still wouldn't work... I considered cracking the vial open and pulling the liquid straight out, but the morning rush left me with no chance to do it...
Thinking about it more, could this explain why nearly every peptide COA I come across tends to be filled above the stated amount, even if only by a little?
True, but in the end, that final dose—even if it's short by a few drops—remains smaller than every earlier dose drawn from that same vial.
If losing those few cents really bothers you, and you'd rather not borrow a bit from the vial you'll use next, just add another .2 ml of BAC. That way you'll pull out 95 percent of whatever is left behind.
If you had 1 syringe, would you split it between 2 vials, or would you do 2 separate injections?
A single syringe is what I'd use — and I've done it before. Though I'm sure some will call that careless of me.
 
I

Gt3294a said:

DidntMakeBrownies said:

Gt3294a said:

ultima thule said:

RicFlair said:

ultima thule said:

RicFlair said:

Not sure if this is already your approach, but when a vial is down to its final dose, I pull the needle back so it's only just through the rubber stopper and inside the vial, not pushed in any further, and I hold the vial inverted so the liquid collects where the needle tip is. That way I can usually pull out nearly all of it — at worst, maybe 1 drop stays behind, which isn't anything meaningful.
I did precisely that. I kept moving the syringe plunger back and forth multiple times, yet at the end it still wouldn't work... I considered cracking the vial open and pulling the liquid straight out, but the morning rush left me with no chance to do it...
Thinking about it more, could this explain why nearly every peptide COA I come across tends to be filled above the stated amount, even if only by a little?
True, but in the end, that final dose—even if it's short by a few drops—remains smaller than every earlier dose drawn from that same vial.
If losing those few cents really bothers you, and you'd rather not borrow a bit from the vial you'll use next, just add another .2 ml of BAC. That way you'll pull out 95 percent of whatever is left behind.
If you had 1 syringe, would you split it between 2 vials, or would you do 2 separate injections?
A single syringe is what I'd use — and I've done it before. Though I'm sure some will call that careless of me.
From a hygiene standpoint, drawing from a fresh vial first and then the old one strikes me as fine, but nailing the dose afterward would be tricky. Going into the old vial and then the new one feels kind of…?
 
DidntMakeBrownies said:

I

Gt3294a said:

DidntMakeBrownies said:

Gt3294a said:

ultima thule said:

RicFlair said:

ultima thule said:

RicFlair said:

Not sure if this is already your approach, but when a vial is down to its final dose, I pull the needle back so it's only just through the rubber stopper and inside the vial, not pushed in any further, and I hold the vial inverted so the liquid collects where the needle tip is. That way I can usually pull out nearly all of it — at worst, maybe 1 drop stays behind, which isn't anything meaningful.
I did precisely that. I kept moving the syringe plunger back and forth multiple times, yet at the end it still wouldn't work... I considered cracking the vial open and pulling the liquid straight out, but the morning rush left me with no chance to do it...
Thinking about it more, could this explain why nearly every peptide COA I come across tends to be filled above the stated amount, even if only by a little?
True, but in the end, that final dose—even if it's short by a few drops—remains smaller than every earlier dose drawn from that same vial.
If losing those few cents really bothers you, and you'd rather not borrow a bit from the vial you'll use next, just add another .2 ml of BAC. That way you'll pull out 95 percent of whatever is left behind.
If you had 1 syringe, would you split it between 2 vials, or would you do 2 separate injections?
A single syringe is what I'd use — and I've done it before. Though I'm sure some will call that careless of me.
From a hygiene standpoint, drawing from a fresh vial first and then the old one strikes me as fine, but nailing the dose afterward would be tricky. Going into the old vial and then the new one feels kind of…?
I don't see any issue with measuring. The needle does get a little duller. With an insulin needle it's not too bad. That's the reason I use a separate needle for drawing and a different one for injecting when dealing with higher gauge oil needles.
 
DidntMakeBrownies said:

I

Gt3294a said:

DidntMakeBrownies said:

Gt3294a said:

ultima thule said:

RicFlair said:

ultima thule said:

RicFlair said:

Not sure if this is already your approach, but when a vial is down to its final dose, I pull the needle back so it's only just through the rubber stopper and inside the vial, not pushed in any further, and I hold the vial inverted so the liquid collects where the needle tip is. That way I can usually pull out nearly all of it — at worst, maybe 1 drop stays behind, which isn't anything meaningful.
I did precisely that. I kept moving the syringe plunger back and forth multiple times, yet at the end it still wouldn't work... I considered cracking the vial open and pulling the liquid straight out, but the morning rush left me with no chance to do it...
Thinking about it more, could this explain why nearly every peptide COA I come across tends to be filled above the stated amount, even if only by a little?
True, but in the end, that final dose—even if it's short by a few drops—remains smaller than every earlier dose drawn from that same vial.
If losing those few cents really bothers you, and you'd rather not borrow a bit from the vial you'll use next, just add another .2 ml of BAC. That way you'll pull out 95 percent of whatever is left behind.
If you had 1 syringe, would you split it between 2 vials, or would you do 2 separate injections?
A single syringe is what I'd use — and I've done it before. Though I'm sure some will call that careless of me.
From a hygiene standpoint, drawing from a fresh vial first and then the old one strikes me as fine, but nailing the dose afterward would be tricky. Going into the old vial and then the new one feels kind of…?

That's exactly why splitting it into 2 shots works better. From the old syringe, draw whatever is still available and record the units. Inject. Then take a fresh syringe, pull the remaining amount of the dose from the new vial. Inject. Carry on with your day.

I would never stick a needle into a new vial after it has been inside an old one. Syringes cost almost nothing and I'm not short on cash. The money was already saved by getting grey market peps from drug dealers and doing the pretend-pharmacist thing at home; everywhere else, I make a point of keeping my risk down except in that one spot.
 
Back
Top