How Should Reta Dosing Increases Actually Be Scheduled?

Wenjo

Explorer
Joined
May 15, 2026
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Location
Sweden
Hi! I'm new to reta and I've been reading so much about it that I'm actually getting more confused instead.

There are those who say you ought to begin with a low dose and then titrate up gradually. Others say begin at 2mg and raise it by 1mg/week.

I decided to start low and titrate up, but now I'm also hearing people say you should remain at a low dose for four weeks, since that's the estimated time the body needs to get used to reta and begin getting the full effect.

What do you all think? Is there any real facts about this, or is it just peoples own experiences?
 
2mg for 4 weeks, then 5mg for 4 weeks, then 6mg for 4 weeks. After that the plan was 9mg, and 12mg if it became necessary. I ended up holding at 6mg for 6 or 7 weeks, waiting until my weight stopped moving and the “Reta” sensation disappeared entirely. I moved up to 8mg and that is where I remain. My #5 shot was scheduled for Friday, but since I am traveling I will take it Monday morning. My intention is to remain at 8mg until it appears to stop working. After that, perhaps 9mg or 10mg. Since 1/9/26 I have dropped 48lbs. Best of luck.
 
Check out glp plotter — it graphs an estimate of how much of the drug is in your blood over time, which makes it simpler to grasp.

Doses are raised gradually so you don’t get slammed by a sudden, harsh reaction. Roughly 1% end up needing hospital care when they begin or step up GLP doses, because nausea and vomiting lead to dehydration. That’s the outcome to steer clear of. It isn’t the only side effect, but it is the most frequent serious one.

Once you take a dose, absorption takes roughly 24 hours and blood levels peak around then — that’s usually when side effects are at their worst. After that, 6 days pass before the level falls by half, which matters because if you do get severe side effects, or even milder ones, they can take a week to calm down. Every later dose accumulates in your bloodstream, and reaching the top level takes about 4 weeks of weekly dosing — so side effects can worsen several weeks after an increase. That’s the reason you’re supposed to wait 4 weeks between increases: that’s how long the new steady-state blood level takes to arrive after the previous step up.

The manufacturer’s standard schedule is built to keep the risk of abrupt severe side effects fairly low: begin at 2mg, then add 2mg every 4 weeks until you reach 12mg. If your excess weight isn’t severe, you might not require doses that high; with a BMI of 35+ you probably will.

With reta, the usual side effects are nausea, vomiting, constipation and diarrhoea; skin sensory symptoms are also fairly common, and some people see a rise in heart rate.

Chances are you’ll experience some side effects at some point, but where that happens varies a lot from person to person. One might feel nausea starting at 10mg, while another might vomit for a week at 4mg, and around half won’t get nausea at all. The one useful tip I can offer is to let your own response guide the increases. If lower doses already suppress your appetite well, you may not need to keep going up; if a dose gives you mild nausea, it will likely be worse at a higher dose, so that could be the moment to ease off on increasing.
 
The Eli Lilly "triumph"(phase 3) trials use this schedule: 2mg/week x4, 4mg/week x4, 6mg/week x4, 9mg/week x4, then 12mg/week x4.

Begin with 2mg and titrate upward. Remain at the lowest dose that is effective. If progress stops, then go higher. At 9mg I had a 2 week stall(total 6 weeks)and moved up to 12mg/week. After 2 weeks at that dose, it worked. At the moment I've reached my goal and am maintaining on 2mg/week.
 
I only made it a little simpler, since my feeling is that the larger steps—6 to 9 and 9 to 12—tend to bring problems more often than a 6, 8, 10, 12 path would. That said, you are absolutely right: your approach is the proper protocol.
 
My own approach: began with 0.25mg, then bumped it up by 0.25mg every week, and that brought me to where I am now at 4.0mg. The process stretched out over quite a while, and the outcome wasn't all that impressive for me. On top of that, I introduced 0.50mg of Cagri to quiet down the food noise. For me, this combination does the job. What works can be different for each person 😉
 
igottapee said:

The Eli Lilly "triumph"(phase 3) trials use this schedule: 2mg/week x4, 4mg/week x4, 6mg/week x4, 9mg/week x4, then 12mg/week x4.

Begin with 2mg and titrate upward. Remain at the lowest dose that is effective. If progress stops, then go higher. At 9mg I had a 2 week stall(total 6 weeks)and moved up to 12mg/week. After 2 weeks at that dose, it worked. At the moment I've reached my goal and am maintaining on 2mg/week.
Once you hit your goal, if you drop the dose from 12mg down to 2mg, did hunger come roaring back?
 
Lots of cautious folks kick off with 1mg or even lower, then ramp up gradually, so their system and daily routine don’t get slammed by rough side effects like diarrhea, constipation, or just feeling awful.

A good number of people also start dropping weight on smaller amounts. Everyone’s body responds in its own way.
 
The drug accumulates in your body gradually. As long as it is delivering the result you want, raising your dose gives you nothing extra.
 
CMA Pooky said:


After reaching goal, did your appetite return drastically when dosing down from 12mg to 2mg?

Click to expand...
The main aim is to build better routines and eat healthier. Luckily, while on reta, your appetite doesn't vanish completely, so I could choose cleaner foods. I stepped down gradually to 2mg, taking more than just 1 week to do it. I had planned to quit entirely, but the extra perks (high bp) make staying on a maintenance dose worthwhile. I might even switch to dosing every other week rather than every week.
 
Wenjo said:

Hi! I'm new to reta and I've been reading so much about it that I'm actually getting more confused instead.

There are those who say you ought to begin with a low dose and then titrate up gradually. Others say begin at 2mg and raise it by 1mg/week.

I decided to start low and titrate up, but now I'm also hearing people say you should remain at a low dose for four weeks, since that's the estimated time the body needs to get used to reta and begin getting the full effect.

What do you all think? Is there any real facts about this, or is it just peoples own experiences?
From what I can gather, people tend to go one of two ways. The first: push the dose and the results as high as they'll go, racing through the weight-loss phase and then switching to maintenance. That route produces the "biggest" outcomes -- as much as 30% of starting weight lost -- because it means staying on the maximum dose for however long it takes. The second: find the smallest dose that still does the job and hold there. In 1 study, 1mg/week over a year led to 9% of starting weight lost.

I sit somewhere between those two. Tirz is what I began with in December, and I'm a big fan. By March I'd hit a stall at 1.66mg/week, so I layered in 2mg reta (spending a month titrating up), figuring I'd accelerate the loss and later return to tirz for maintenance. So far the weight is coming off. Maintenance is still an open question for me.

On "real facts": research protocols generally go the high-dose route. Individual experimentation is different -- that's where a person works out whether small doses do the trick or whether they have to climb higher for the effects they want. Who will turn out to be a low-dose responder isn't something we can predict yet, so it helps to keep an open mind and let your body determine the right dose.

Think of yourself as a fascinating science experiment. Begin at .5mg and see if you can tolerate side effects. This is especially important if this is your first GLP1. Titrate up slowly, observing yourself carefully. Some people are happy staying at 2mg or even 1mg long-term, while others don't feel any changes on such low doses. It's not a contest! It's just information. Only your body can inform you about that.

Start low and go as slowly or quickly as you like, using your personal criteria. Some will push through ugly sides to drop weight as fast as they can. Others will avoid, say, vomiting by taking it slower. It's all up to you. Tune in to yourself and pay less attention to what others do. HTH
 
AngieHolmes said:

Wenjo said:

Hi! I'm new to reta and I've been reading so much about it that I'm actually getting more confused instead.

There are those who say you ought to begin with a low dose and then titrate up gradually. Others say begin at 2mg and raise it by 1mg/week.

I decided to start low and titrate up, but now I'm also hearing people say you should remain at a low dose for four weeks, since that's the estimated time the body needs to get used to reta and begin getting the full effect.

What do you all think? Is there any real facts about this, or is it just peoples own experiences?
From what I can gather, people tend to go one of two ways. The first: push the dose and the results as high as they'll go, racing through the weight-loss phase and then switching to maintenance. That route produces the "biggest" outcomes -- as much as 30% of starting weight lost -- because it means staying on the maximum dose for however long it takes. The second: find the smallest dose that still does the job and hold there. In 1 study, 1mg/week over a year led to 9% of starting weight lost.

I sit somewhere between those two. Tirz is what I began with in December, and I'm a big fan. By March I'd hit a stall at 1.66mg/week, so I layered in 2mg reta (spending a month titrating up), figuring I'd accelerate the loss and later return to tirz for maintenance. So far the weight is coming off. Maintenance is still an open question for me.

On "real facts": research protocols generally go the high-dose route. Individual experimentation is different -- that's where a person works out whether small doses do the trick or whether they have to climb higher for the effects they want. Who will turn out to be a low-dose responder isn't something we can predict yet, so it helps to keep an open mind and let your body determine the right dose.

Think of yourself as a fascinating science experiment. Begin at .5mg and see if you can tolerate side effects. This is especially important if this is your first GLP1. Titrate up slowly, observing yourself carefully. Some people are happy staying at 2mg or even 1mg long-term, while others don't feel any changes on such low doses. It's not a contest! It's just information. Only your body can inform you about that.

Start low and go as slowly or quickly as you like, using your personal criteria. Some will push through ugly sides to drop weight as fast as they can. Others will avoid, say, vomiting by taking it slower. It's all up to you. Tune in to yourself and pay less attention to what others do. HTH




Is titrating up too fast unsafe?



This is precisely the compulsive pattern I'm hoping Tirz will help me break. So the plan is to stop overeating by overmedicating? What you'll discover is that the effectiveness fades before the weight does, and at that point I suppose you'll simply stack on more meds and become the person in here announcing they're on the max dose of both Reta and Tirz...

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com
 
BNLFL said:

AngieHolmes said:

Wenjo said:

Hi! I'm new to reta and I've been reading so much about it that I'm actually getting more confused instead.

There are those who say you ought to begin with a low dose and then titrate up gradually. Others say begin at 2mg and raise it by 1mg/week.

I decided to start low and titrate up, but now I'm also hearing people say you should remain at a low dose for four weeks, since that's the estimated time the body needs to get used to reta and begin getting the full effect.

What do you all think? Is there any real facts about this, or is it just peoples own experiences?
From what I can gather, people tend to go one of two ways. The first: push the dose and the results as high as they'll go, racing through the weight-loss phase and then switching to maintenance. That route produces the "biggest" outcomes -- as much as 30% of starting weight lost -- because it means staying on the maximum dose for however long it takes. The second: find the smallest dose that still does the job and hold there. In 1 study, 1mg/week over a year led to 9% of starting weight lost.

I sit somewhere between those two. Tirz is what I began with in December, and I'm a big fan. By March I'd hit a stall at 1.66mg/week, so I layered in 2mg reta (spending a month titrating up), figuring I'd accelerate the loss and later return to tirz for maintenance. So far the weight is coming off. Maintenance is still an open question for me.

On "real facts": research protocols generally go the high-dose route. Individual experimentation is different -- that's where a person works out whether small doses do the trick or whether they have to climb higher for the effects they want. Who will turn out to be a low-dose responder isn't something we can predict yet, so it helps to keep an open mind and let your body determine the right dose.

Think of yourself as a fascinating science experiment. Begin at .5mg and see if you can tolerate side effects. This is especially important if this is your first GLP1. Titrate up slowly, observing yourself carefully. Some people are happy staying at 2mg or even 1mg long-term, while others don't feel any changes on such low doses. It's not a contest! It's just information. Only your body can inform you about that.

Start low and go as slowly or quickly as you like, using your personal criteria. Some will push through ugly sides to drop weight as fast as they can. Others will avoid, say, vomiting by taking it slower. It's all up to you. Tune in to yourself and pay less attention to what others do. HTH




Is titrating up too fast unsafe?



This is precisely the compulsive pattern I'm hoping Tirz will help me break. So the plan is to stop overeating by overmedicating? What you'll discover is that the effectiveness fades before the weight does, and at that point I suppose you'll simply stack on more meds and become the person in here announcing they're on the max dose of both Reta and Tirz...

View attachment 11133


GLP1Chat.com
In what way does what I posted connect to me being "the guy in here saying I take max dose of Reta and Tirz"?
 

Attachments

  • 051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png
    051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 3
AngieHolmes said:

BNLFL said:

AngieHolmes said:

Wenjo said:

Hi! I'm new to reta and I've been reading so much about it that I'm actually getting more confused instead.

There are those who say you ought to begin with a low dose and then titrate up gradually. Others say begin at 2mg and raise it by 1mg/week.

I decided to start low and titrate up, but now I'm also hearing people say you should remain at a low dose for four weeks, since that's the estimated time the body needs to get used to reta and begin getting the full effect.

What do you all think? Is there any real facts about this, or is it just peoples own experiences?
From what I can gather, people tend to go one of two ways. The first: push the dose and the results as high as they'll go, racing through the weight-loss phase and then switching to maintenance. That route produces the "biggest" outcomes -- as much as 30% of starting weight lost -- because it means staying on the maximum dose for however long it takes. The second: find the smallest dose that still does the job and hold there. In 1 study, 1mg/week over a year led to 9% of starting weight lost.

I sit somewhere between those two. Tirz is what I began with in December, and I'm a big fan. By March I'd hit a stall at 1.66mg/week, so I layered in 2mg reta (spending a month titrating up), figuring I'd accelerate the loss and later return to tirz for maintenance. So far the weight is coming off. Maintenance is still an open question for me.

On "real facts": research protocols generally go the high-dose route. Individual experimentation is different -- that's where a person works out whether small doses do the trick or whether they have to climb higher for the effects they want. Who will turn out to be a low-dose responder isn't something we can predict yet, so it helps to keep an open mind and let your body determine the right dose.

Think of yourself as a fascinating science experiment. Begin at .5mg and see if you can tolerate side effects. This is especially important if this is your first GLP1. Titrate up slowly, observing yourself carefully. Some people are happy staying at 2mg or even 1mg long-term, while others don't feel any changes on such low doses. It's not a contest! It's just information. Only your body can inform you about that.

Start low and go as slowly or quickly as you like, using your personal criteria. Some will push through ugly sides to drop weight as fast as they can. Others will avoid, say, vomiting by taking it slower. It's all up to you. Tune in to yourself and pay less attention to what others do. HTH




Is titrating up too fast unsafe?



This is precisely the compulsive pattern I'm hoping Tirz will help me break. So the plan is to stop overeating by overmedicating? What you'll discover is that the effectiveness fades before the weight does, and at that point I suppose you'll simply stack on more meds and become the person in here announcing they're on the max dose of both Reta and Tirz...

View attachment 11133


GLP1Chat.com
In what way does what I posted connect to me being "the guy in here saying I take max dose of Reta and Tirz"?
That was a general post, and you were the simplest one to quote. I'm exhausted.
 
Wenjo said:

Hi! I'm new to reta and I've been reading so much about it that I'm actually getting more confused instead.

There are those who say you ought to begin with a low dose and then titrate up gradually. Others say begin at 2mg and raise it by 1mg/week.

I decided to start low and titrate up, but now I'm also hearing people say you should remain at a low dose for four weeks, since that's the estimated time the body needs to get used to reta and begin getting the full effect.

What do you all think? Is there any real facts about this, or is it just peoples own experiences?
Each person reacts differently. My own start was 1mg, and I never increased it, which led to a 30lb loss over 8 weeks. After a 1-month break, I began again at 1mg, and 4 weeks in I'm down 10lbs. If the scale keeps moving, there's no need to raise the dose.
 
BlueDog55 said:

Wenjo said:

Hi! I'm new to reta and I've been reading so much about it that I'm actually getting more confused instead.

There are those who say you ought to begin with a low dose and then titrate up gradually. Others say begin at 2mg and raise it by 1mg/week.

I decided to start low and titrate up, but now I'm also hearing people say you should remain at a low dose for four weeks, since that's the estimated time the body needs to get used to reta and begin getting the full effect.

What do you all think? Is there any real facts about this, or is it just peoples own experiences?
Each person reacts differently. My own start was 1mg, and I never increased it, which led to a 30lb loss over 8 weeks. After a 1-month break, I began again at 1mg, and 4 weeks in I'm down 10lbs. If the scale keeps moving, there's no need to raise the dose.
Dropping weight too quickly is a problem. The timeframe for that 10lb loss was acceptable.
 
Hi Wenjo 🙂

Begin at a low amount and step it up gradually.

The aim isn’t to reach the biggest dose, it’s to reach the dose that works for you.

Before I switched to reta 11 weeks ago, I had spent 6 years on liraglutide (type2 diabetes). Given that history, my starting point was 2mg, I stayed at 3mg for the majority of the time, and only today did I go up to 3.5mg. So far I’m down 10kg, recomping at the same time, training 3 times per week and logging every macro in Fitatu.

The first doses are simply filling up your system, so by week 3 you ought to notice something.

If you don’t, that tells you something useful as well.

How I’d suggest titrating from zero (first small increase after 1 week, then after 2):

0.5 —> 1mg —> 1mg —> 1.5mg if needed. Stay patient between each jump.

Locate the point where appetite suppression is doing its job and sides stay manageable, and that will be your dosage for a while.

Wishing you all the best 😁
 
When experimenting with research molecules outside of medical oversight, keep 3 rules in mind.

1. Begin with 2 or 3 extremely low doses — this tells you whether you can tolerate the compound and, above all, whether the product itself is any good.

2. Raise the amount once every 4 periods, provided those intervals match the molecule's half-life. Doing so lets a steady state develop, and at that point the main and side effects specific to you become visible. On that basis you can judge whether to keep going, quit, or drop back down.

3. Never introduce multiple molecules simultaneously. That is the single-varying-factor rule from experimental design.

One more thing matters about published clinical trial protocols. The doses chosen there come from a mix of: whatever the lab could supply at the time, how simple they were to explain to participants, and how easy they were for researchers to calculate and present. At this point in understanding what the molecule does, few rules are established, so dosing is largely pragmatic.

With pens such as Ozempic or Mounjaro, dosing turns into a trade-off among medical, pharmaceutical, and business factors. And if you know this kind of company, you already realize those choices are not always rational.

For my own part, I mostly used 20mg bottles. The math was simpler, and nothing went to waste, measuring in 2.5/5/6.7/10mg.
 
peptideus said:

Hi Wenjo 🙂

Begin at a low amount and step it up gradually.

The aim isn’t to reach the biggest dose, it’s to reach the dose that works for you.

Before I switched to reta 11 weeks ago, I had spent 6 years on liraglutide (type2 diabetes). Given that history, my starting point was 2mg, I stayed at 3mg for the majority of the time, and only today did I go up to 3.5mg. So far I’m down 10kg, recomping at the same time, training 3 times per week and logging every macro in Fitatu.

The first doses are simply filling up your system, so by week 3 you ought to notice something.

If you don’t, that tells you something useful as well.

How I’d suggest titrating from zero (first small increase after 1 week, then after 2):

0.5 —> 1mg —> 1mg —> 1.5mg if needed. Stay patient between each jump.

Locate the point where appetite suppression is doing its job and sides stay manageable, and that will be your dosage for a while.

Wishing you all the best 😁
Hi!

Yeah, since it was my very first peptide, I was a bit nervous about pushing things too far. I began at 0,5 and raised it by 0,5 every fifth day. Right now I'm in week 6 and taking 3mg/5day.

The only reason I chose every fifth day rather than weekly was that my appetite returned with a vengeance on day five or six. But at 3mg now, I'm thinking of switching to a weekly dose, since it feels much stronger and more steady.
 
Wenjo said:

peptideus said:

Hi Wenjo 🙂

Begin at a low amount and step it up gradually.

The aim isn’t to reach the biggest dose, it’s to reach the dose that works for you.

Before I switched to reta 11 weeks ago, I had spent 6 years on liraglutide (type2 diabetes). Given that history, my starting point was 2mg, I stayed at 3mg for the majority of the time, and only today did I go up to 3.5mg. So far I’m down 10kg, recomping at the same time, training 3 times per week and logging every macro in Fitatu.

The first doses are simply filling up your system, so by week 3 you ought to notice something.

If you don’t, that tells you something useful as well.

How I’d suggest titrating from zero (first small increase after 1 week, then after 2):

0.5 —> 1mg —> 1mg —> 1.5mg if needed. Stay patient between each jump.

Locate the point where appetite suppression is doing its job and sides stay manageable, and that will be your dosage for a while.

Wishing you all the best 😁
Hi!

Yeah, since it was my very first peptide, I was a bit nervous about pushing things too far. I began at 0,5 and raised it by 0,5 every fifth day. Right now I'm in week 6 and taking 3mg/5day.

The only reason I chose every fifth day rather than weekly was that my appetite returned with a vengeance on day five or six. But at 3mg now, I'm thinking of switching to a weekly dose, since it feels much stronger and more steady.
The reason comes down to how long Reta stays active in the body. I stuck with a 7-day schedule, yet the weight came off at roughly the same pace each week. This week went differently, though. Friday is normally my injection day, but I wasn't home until late last night. I took our 8mg this morning, and now I'll move to every 6 days until we're back on Fridays. Getting back to Fridays should take about 3 weeks.

SoCalGirl said:

My own approach: began with 0.25mg, then bumped it up by 0.25mg every week, and that brought me to where I am now at 4.0mg. The process stretched out over quite a while, and the outcome wasn't all that impressive for me. On top of that, I introduced 0.50mg of Cagri to quiet down the food noise. For me, this combination does the job. What works can be different for each person 😉
That's probably because the dose is so tiny at .25mg. On that .25, what line do you draw the syringe up to?
 
Back
Top