How long is a reconstituted vial actually good for?

CNCCurrency said:

E41604 said:

A question for the more experienced among you:

After a peptide is reconstituted with bacteriostatic water and kept properly refrigerated, what length of time do you personally treat it as stable and usable?

28 days comes up a lot, though 6–8 weeks or more is what other people say, depending on the peptide.

What everyone actually follows in practice is what I'm curious about, and whether a general rule is what you use or the specific peptide is what it gets based on.

Moving on from that: a vial of bacteriostatic water that has been opened and stored properly — how much longer is it good for before you throw it out?

Appreciate the info!
Some test results are below




View attachment 19
Does that come off the PTDS testing server? I had heard they were running a study on peptide degradation.

And why does the same compound show up under several separate entries — a different vendor for each?
 
Chili777 said:

HereKittyKitty said:

6 weeks and my Tz and Survo are finished.

GHK-Cu & KPV go in daily, so whatever is left gets binned at the 45 day mark.

Before drawing I hold the vial up to the light. Cloudy, or anything floating in it, and it goes in the bin.
Has a Tirz vial ever turned on you at the 45 day mark? Mine never has on Reta, though I do run everything through a filter. Back when I was not filtering — the first vial or two — I still never saw cloudiness or floaters.
Nope, never. I still check every vial before drawing from it.

Filtering is part of the routine now — the first one or two went in unfiltered.

Beyond that I simply aim for a clean setup whenever I filter and whenever I pin. No fancy kit here, and no sterile lab training either. What I do have is a wiped-down stainless surface, washed hands, and supplies that stay in their individual wrappers.

People keep saying a filter can itself drag contaminants in, and I suppose the same argument holds for the injection. I just do what I can. Around day 38 to 45 my Cu starts giving me ISR — whether that is down to me or to the peptide I cannot say. Anything left gets ditched, which is never much, so it is not worth getting worked up over.
 
Reta is the one I will push 10 weeks on, though 8 is the furthest I have actually taken a single vial.
 
E41604 said:

A question for the more experienced among you:

After a peptide is reconstituted with bacteriostatic water and kept properly refrigerated, what length of time do you personally treat it as stable and usable?

28 days comes up a lot, though 6–8 weeks or more is what other people say, depending on the peptide.

What everyone actually follows in practice is what I'm curious about, and whether a general rule is what you use or the specific peptide is what it gets based on.

Moving on from that: a vial of bacteriostatic water that has been opened and stored properly — how much longer is it good for before you throw it out?

Appreciate the info!
28 days is where bacterial inhibition is generally treated as safe; the bac water helps but does not stop growth outright.

So long as it is still clear with no colour shift, I will keep using a vial out to 6 weeks and never past that. Mixing is part of my job most days, so aseptic handling and proper storage are simply habit (guidelines where I can follow them, close enough otherwise). Labs will quote all sorts of shelf lives, but that depends on which peptide you reconstituted, plus the 28 day limit that applies to the water itself. Studies specific to these peptides I do not know of any yet; bac water, on the other hand, has been studied, and 28 days is the ceiling for a multi-dose vial.

Some labs may well have looked at how long the peptides themselves hold, but the 28 day bac water safety window still sits on top of that.
 
Hospira 30ml gets drawn from until it runs dry — 4 months or more with no trouble at all

Aseptic technique is the whole game, and there is a test posted somewhere in this thread.

Reconstituted peptides are good for 45 days minimum, most of them

Tirz and its relatives will stretch well past that

What matters is staying clean either side of the pin, storing it right, and eyeballing every dose for colour change or specks.

Anyone who has been around a while sees this same question arrive at least once a week.

And the answer never changes
 
Skidude said:

Hospira 30ml gets drawn from until it runs dry — 4 months or more with no trouble at all

Aseptic technique is the whole game, and there is a test posted somewhere in this thread.

Reconstituted peptides are good for 45 days minimum, most of them

Tirz and its relatives will stretch well past that

What matters is staying clean either side of the pin, storing it right, and eyeballing every dose for colour change or specks.

Anyone who has been around a while sees this same question arrive at least once a week.

And the answer never changes
What is your ceiling on a mixed Tirz? Reta I would happily run 8 weeks, maybe 10, though I have never pushed one past 8 yet.
 
My Tirz originally came from compounding pharmacies. Their model was a flat monthly subscription regardless of dose, which naturally encourages you to inflate the schedule you report so they will ship bigger vials. The result was compounded stock sitting around past the 3 month mark before it got used, and no harm came of it.

Now that I buy grey, I plan around a 4 to 8 week vial. Longer would be fine, but the price bump for more, smaller vials is trivial, and one less thing to keep track of is worth something.
 
BNLFL said:

Skidude said:

Hospira 30ml gets drawn from until it runs dry — 4 months or more with no trouble at all

Aseptic technique is the whole game, and there is a test posted somewhere in this thread.

Reconstituted peptides are good for 45 days minimum, most of them

Tirz and its relatives will stretch well past that

What matters is staying clean either side of the pin, storing it right, and eyeballing every dose for colour change or specks.

Anyone who has been around a while sees this same question arrive at least once a week.

And the answer never changes
What is your ceiling on a mixed Tirz? Reta I would happily run 8 weeks, maybe 10, though I have never pushed one past 8 yet.
Honestly, my biggest vial is 60mg, and at 15mg weekly that disappears fast.

The record for me on a smaller, fixed dose was 7 weeks, and going that long on 1 caused no problems.

Even 8 to 10 weeks would not bother me, given how careful I am with technique and how stable Tirz appears to be.
 
That 60mg reta vial has been in service since the first week of May 2026 and is still going. No complaints: the weight keeps coming down and appetite is completely flat. We are roughly 15 weeks in now.
 
iDeclareBankruptcy! said:

That 60mg reta vial has been in service since the first week of May 2026 and is still going. No complaints: the weight keeps coming down and appetite is completely flat. We are roughly 15 weeks in now.
Degradation would not worry me much at that stage either. Puncturing the same vial 15 times and pushing air in on every one of them, though, that might.

Same logic as Blackjack: hitting 16, 17 or 18+ is allowed, it simply carries more risk each time you do it.

Then again I take plenty of other risks in my life, so it is not my place to judge what anyone else chooses.
 
timebomb85 said:

Back when I was buying Tirzepatide from a compounding pharmacy, the BUD dates sometimes ran a full year out. What I do not have is reliable general information about degradation over time. According to some sources the clock starts the moment the peptide is reconstituted — and each one breaks down at its own rate, even under ideal conditions. Add to that the usual bac water caveats once the vial has been punctured. The charts posted in this thread and elsewhere put something like Tirzepatide as very stable well past 120 days. Contrast GHK-Cu, which loses something like 1/2 its potency after about 2 to 3 weeks. Mostly I think two separate questions get bundled together under "peptide stability". One is the bac water itself and whatever bacteria punctures and handling introduce. The other is how stable the peptide genuinely is. Both have to be weighed.
The point being that the 1 year BUD dates set by 503B compounders are not pulled out of thin air; stability was tested out to that date. Branded Monjaro/Zepbound carries a manufacturer BUD of 2 years, though the final form matters — vials versus pens.
 
Blueeyedme said:

timebomb85 said:

Back when I was buying Tirzepatide from a compounding pharmacy, the BUD dates sometimes ran a full year out. What I do not have is reliable general information about degradation over time. According to some sources the clock starts the moment the peptide is reconstituted — and each one breaks down at its own rate, even under ideal conditions. Add to that the usual bac water caveats once the vial has been punctured. The charts posted in this thread and elsewhere put something like Tirzepatide as very stable well past 120 days. Contrast GHK-Cu, which loses something like 1/2 its potency after about 2 to 3 weeks. Mostly I think two separate questions get bundled together under "peptide stability". One is the bac water itself and whatever bacteria punctures and handling introduce. The other is how stable the peptide genuinely is. Both have to be weighed.
The point being that the 1 year BUD dates set by 503B compounders are not pulled out of thin air; stability was tested out to that date. Branded Monjaro/Zepbound carries a manufacturer BUD of 2 years, though the final form matters — vials versus pens.
This source should clear your point up a little.



9209fa2ab9661b49b00667a5f2045c3781e0eb46a18e23c1e40f543a53b2a0fe.png




New USP Guidelines: What Changes Impact My Veterinarian Practice? - Epicur Pharma®



A Closer Look at the Revised USP Guidelines. Learn more about the options for your patients & veterinary practice under the new beyond-use dating.

13db2cb7b13a6af6679852906e4867aa903182bf0702b111c70ca12641c655e1.png



epicurpharma.com

So that particular Epicur Pharma piece is addressed to veterinary practices. The rules it lays out, though — the USP Chapter <797> updates — govern all sterile compounding pharmacies in the United States, human and veterinary alike.
 
Back
Top