How do the smartpants design the drug so that it's stable only for 4 weeks?

Sasquatch said:

CNCCurrency said:

Sasquatch said:

@Labcat pointed out that bacterial growth is slowed by keeping things dry, cool, & dark.

Mounjaro/Zepbound vials, though, arrive as a liquid (I won't call it reconstituted) that is sealed. They get shipped in coolers packed with ice. The carton is enormous—10x10x12 inches—just for about 2ml of liquid. How long it sits in the house is anyone's guess.
That isn't my situation—the folks in China got around it.
So the liquid is coming from China? Most likely pens 😀
No, it's a lyophilized formulation.
 
lastresort said:

Maybe this isn't only about reta—other peptides might be relevant too.

People often say that once a peptide has been reconstituted, it should be finished within 4 weeks. What's the reason for that? And when it comes to GLP1 drugs in particular, what makes these peptides able to remain stable for 4 weeks in a refrigerator?
A single vial lasts me close to 4 months. My process: reconstitute using Hospira bac water, run it through a filter, then store it refrigerated.
 
lessthanhalf said:

skaylife said:

If every bit of that holds up, then why does Mounjaro carry an expiration date reaching July 2027? Isn't it also tirzepatide that has been reconstituted? The difference has more to do with how we handle things and the environment in which we mix our peptides. When we mix and then keep it in the vial, air is always present inside, and that air volume grows with every shot. The benzyl alcohol contained in BAC water will, over time, evaporate once it is exposed to air, turning back into sterile water (assuming nothing from that internal air has contaminated it). So breakdown would happen considerably quicker, I would guess? It is solely for this reason that I use an insulin pen holding a 3ml cartridge. After mixing, I load the cartridge and push all the air out of it. That removes any further chance of alcohol evaporating, of extra air being present, or of air-borne contamination. I also mix my peptides and load cartridges in front of a laminar flow hood, alongside a bad particle (<2,5 micron) counter. I am confident it works, because I used to grow mushrooms as a hobby. I never saw bacteria or mold develop in cultures made under a controlled environment. Prior to that, the odds of contamination were above %60. Mostly trichoderma aggressivum. The green mold we encounter everywhere.

I do not anticipate my reconstitution staying good until 2027 the way Mounjaro does. But under the right conditions it ought to last beyond 4 weeks. I also doubt that a pen needle piercing it can introduce contamination. That is not the same as piercing with a syringe needle, and with it you cannot push anything into the cartridge either. The only direction is outward.
With commercial peptides such as mounjaro and similar products, the formulation is done with great care: several additional chemicals are included to keep the peptide stable, and then extensive testing is carried out so that a reasonable shelf life after reconstitution can be guaranteed. These products are also made sterile, which means the chance of contamination is very low. By contrast, preparing it at home using bac water is a much cruder approach, so it does not come with that shelf life of a couple of years.
When it comes to mounjaro, I don't draw comparisons with my own either. Yet assuming every chart and stated property regarding peptides on this site holds up, then to some degree that ought to apply to mounjaro as well, right? Either way, I can still measure mine against people who every day draw their solution from a vial using a syringe and inject it. Right now, for maintenance I take 2mg tirz, and I mix 20mg with 2ml Bac. I'm comfortable stretching that to 10 weeks of use, no second thoughts. It won't get discarded once 4 weeks pass.
 
Back
Top