How do reta side effects stack up against tirzepatide?

Jilla

Explorer
Joined
May 15, 2026
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Location
England
For anyone who began with tirzepatide and then moved over to reta, what was your experience with side effects like in comparison?

I'm thinking about making the switch because even at only 2.5mg of tirz, the fatigue hits me hard for the first 3 days following my injection. Still, I can't tell whether reta would actually be any easier on that front.
 
I'm lowering my tirz dose while raising my reta dose. I used to take 10mg of tirz, and now I take 5mg of tirz plus 2.5mg of reta. In my case, the side effects match what I had when increasing tirz. After injecting, I have terrible sleep for the first few nights. There's also a bit of skin irritation.
 
On mounjaro I dealt with sulfur burps, though eventually that stopped. Since adding reta, those burps have returned — and their flavor is not the same. They hit harder 😝 Beyond that, I haven’t picked up on anything else.
 
On Reta my sleep has turned out to be HORRIBLE. With Tirz I got more sleep and it was better quality. My plan is to lower my Reta dose and go back to Tirz completely. Beyond that, Reta hasn't done much for weight loss when compared with Tirz. For me they seem to perform the same, the difference being poor sleep and a higher HR.
 
For me, the jump in RHR was what made it unbearable.. adding only 1 mg of Reta (split dose @ 500 mcg) pushed me from the mid 50's into the low 60's. My sleep has never been great (I have a UARS diagnosis), and once the "Reta-somnia" showed up I called it quits. Currently at 7.5 mg of Tirz and everything's fine. Yeah, the RHR increase happens to a lot of people, but mine wasn't as severe as what Reta caused. YMMV! Good Luck!
 
ibsir said:

On Reta my sleep has turned out to be HORRIBLE. With Tirz I got more sleep and it was better quality. My plan is to lower my Reta dose and go back to Tirz completely. Beyond that, Reta hasn't done much for weight loss when compared with Tirz. For me they seem to perform the same, the difference being poor sleep and a higher HR.
My sleep has been completely thrown off by Reta, and I'm at a loss for how to handle it. Switching might end up being necessary for me too...
 
bgddy32 said:

ibsir said:

On Reta my sleep has turned out to be HORRIBLE. With Tirz I got more sleep and it was better quality. My plan is to lower my Reta dose and go back to Tirz completely. Beyond that, Reta hasn't done much for weight loss when compared with Tirz. For me they seem to perform the same, the difference being poor sleep and a higher HR.
My sleep has been completely thrown off by Reta, and I'm at a loss for how to handle it. Switching might end up being necessary for me too...
I actually began with Reta and later moved to Tirz, mostly due to the rise in RHR. During my first 2 months on Reta, sleep was rough. I recall someone suggesting carbs before bed, since waking up could stem from a cortisol spike? The specifics escape me, but you can find info if you look around.
 
I went in the reverse direction. Reta was what I used for weight loss, then I moved to Tirz for upkeep because of how Reta affected me.

After my shot day, Tirz leaves me perhaps slightly more fatigued, but that is the only effect I have noticed. My dose is split into 1.5mg two times per week.

With Reta I dealt with insomnia, though an evening routine of CJC no Dac + Ipa or Tesa + Ipa took care of it. In short, Tirz and Reta feel quite distinct in my case, and I believe that holds for many others too. It is not a matter of one being entirely bad or entirely good. They are simply different.

The only way to find out is to try, but my advice is to stop pinning one for a few doses before you begin the other, so you can be certain which compound is responsible for what.
 
I guess I'm an outlier — neither reta nor tirz has given me any bad reactions. I'm on both at the moment, my heart rate has stayed normal the whole time, and I sleep great. To anyone dealing with negative effects, though, I'm sorry — that really sucks
 
derekd419 said:

I guess I'm an outlier — neither reta nor tirz has given me any bad reactions. I'm on both at the moment, my heart rate has stayed normal the whole time, and I sleep great. To anyone dealing with negative effects, though, I'm sorry — that really sucks
What amount are you taking?
 
I experienced the same set of issues as with Tirz...queasiness that fluctuated in intensity, plus loose stools that also varied in severity.
 
On either Tirz or Reta, I pretty much experienced zero negative effects.

My time on Tirz was only about a month, and during that stretch my digestion seemed more consistent than it normally is. With Reta, that improvement isn't as noticeable as it was on Tirz, though it likely still beats my baseline—though recency bias and similar factors make it tough to judge accurately.
 
derekd419 said:

I guess I'm an outlier — neither reta nor tirz has given me any bad reactions. I'm on both at the moment, my heart rate has stayed normal the whole time, and I sleep great. To anyone dealing with negative effects, though, I'm sorry — that really sucks
What's your dosage, and how are you finding the combination? My RS is using reta, but a free tirz kit came their way, so stacking the two is a possibility.
 
bgddy32 said:

ibsir said:

On Reta my sleep has turned out to be HORRIBLE. With Tirz I got more sleep and it was better quality. My plan is to lower my Reta dose and go back to Tirz completely. Beyond that, Reta hasn't done much for weight loss when compared with Tirz. For me they seem to perform the same, the difference being poor sleep and a higher HR.
My sleep has been completely thrown off by Reta, and I'm at a loss for how to handle it. Switching might end up being necessary for me too...
I was on tirz for roughly 1 1/2 years when I began. 65 pounds came off, and on the whole I felt improved. Honestly, sleep stayed the same. The reason I later brought Reta in was that 15mg of Tirz no longer had the same impact. My body had adapted to it, though keeping my weight steady was simple enough. From here I intend to put far more emphasis on exercise and eating well while on Tirz. During that first stretch, my only real activity was walking 15-20,000 steps a day at work — not nothing, and it did work, but lifting weights needs to be part of it now. Anyway, best of luck if you decide to switch; my feeling is you won't be sorry.
 
woundcarping said:

On either Tirz or Reta, I pretty much experienced zero negative effects.

My time on Tirz was only about a month, and during that stretch my digestion seemed more consistent than it normally is. With Reta, that improvement isn't as noticeable as it was on Tirz, though it likely still beats my baseline—though recency bias and similar factors make it tough to judge accurately.
That's awesome, to be honest I haven't given Tirz a shot yet, and I figure I might try it just to compare how it feels and what effects show up. On reta I get exactly 6 hours of sleep and then no matter what I do, I can't stay asleep any longer. Beyond that, the only thing I notice is bloating, which tracks with gastric emptying being slower. One thing I actually enjoy is that reta gets me sweating while I train, so that's a plus, particularly when I'm doing incline treadmill.
 
When I began Tirz, I experienced some mild GI issues. With Reta, it's been more challenging. During the first month, I had skin aches, and now I'm dealing with an elevated heart rate that triggers panic. I'll likely keep Reta at a lower dose and Tirz higher. At the moment, I'm on 7.5mg Tirz and 3mg Reta.
 
At 1.25mg twice weekly, the dose would be split, which might lower the peaks and ease the fatigue, especially since symptoms last only 3 days. Before making the switch to reta, I'd try that approach first. When you compare tirz and reta, the differences are minor, and without giving reta a try, you can't know if it would work better for you.

Another thing to consider: if you're in a significant calorie deficit or not drinking enough fluids, that could be making the fatigue worse too.
 
Back
Top