How did you decide your goal weight?

I began at Obese 3 and never let myself hope for more than losing 40 pounds. Once I saw that this could actually work, I set my sights on getting below 200, which felt unbelievable. After I realized that was achievable, I aimed to leave obesity behind and land merely in the "overweight" category on the BMI chart. These days my final target is the maximum weight the US military allows, since the kids have turned our family into a military family. For my 5'7", that number is 166. My advice: choose a goal that means something to you personally while also being broadly accepted as healthy. Back in my early 20s, I was a size 6 and looked great around 140ish, but I adore food, work in the food industry, and am 51 years old now. 166 suits me just fine and will mark a dream fulfilled after 25+ years.
 
leeann82 said:

Maybe this sounds silly....but was a bmi chart what you used? Or something else?

I've never been a normal sized adult, so that isn't something I can use as a reference. Right now my goal is 130, and for reference, im a 44F and 5'4..the bmi chart for normal says i should be between 110-140 lbs. Not long ago I saw an old friend who was shocked by my appearance and told me I looked too skinny. I'm currently 142 pounds.
Someone very close to me, whose judgment I trust and who genuinely wants the best for me, told me that at 5'7" and 195 pounds I was looking too thin. By the charts, that weight still falls within the "obesity" range for my height. Yes, I've dropped 85 pounds and I understand my appearance has changed a lot, but honestly, that remark was absurd. Try not to let remarks like that throw you off track with your health goals.
 
The number I'm aiming for is whatever is printed on my driver's license. I haven't changed it in years, so I thought it would be a simple target to hit within this year.

Starting weight: 288, November 2025

Current weight: 247, April 2026

Goal weight: 210 (still to be determined)

Longer term, I'd like to be somewhere in the 170-180 range by some point next year. Right now I'm taking 7.5mg of Tirzepatide along with Wolverine.
 
BMI was my method, and the reason is that 3 women in my biological family struggle with fairly severe eating disorders, so I have every reason to think I'd never notice when my weight was actually fine. As for my friends, there was no chance I'd let them have a say in my target—most of them don't really know what a healthy weight looks like, a few were privately uneasy about me losing weight at all, and every one of them would tell me I looked great and ought to quit while I was still obese. To their credit, they did this carefully, respectfully, and with a huge amount of effort not to mention my body or offer advice I hadn't asked for. I love them, I know each one is speaking from her own experience, and not one of them would ever intentionally be snide or unkind—but they got no vote on my goal.

My target was the middle of the lower half of the healthy BMI range, which came to 125 lbs. Months afterward I figured out I must have been exhausted when I ran those numbers, since the correct figure is 121 lbs, not 125. Even so, I keep thinking of it as 125, which is a bit depressing.
 
cldfront said:

leeann82 said:

Maybe this sounds silly....but was a bmi chart what you used? Or something else?

I've never been a normal sized adult, so that isn't something I can use as a reference. Right now my goal is 130, and for reference, im a 44F and 5'4..the bmi chart for normal says i should be between 110-140 lbs. Not long ago I saw an old friend who was shocked by my appearance and told me I looked too skinny. I'm currently 142 pounds.
Someone very close to me, whose judgment I trust and who genuinely wants the best for me, told me that at 5'7" and 195 pounds I was looking too thin. By the charts, that weight still falls within the "obesity" range for my height. Yes, I've dropped 85 pounds and I understand my appearance has changed a lot, but honestly, that remark was absurd. Try not to let remarks like that throw you off track with your health goals.
In my opinion, a lot of folks measure you against the heavier person they still picture in their heads. Once you're at a typical weight, those two pictures don't line up for them. I realize their intentions are good, but I'm with you: your own health goals are what matter. People around you will come around . . . in time.
 
leeann82 said:

Maybe this sounds silly....but was a bmi chart what you used? Or something else?

I've never been a normal sized adult, so that isn't something I can use as a reference. Right now my goal is 130, and for reference, im a 44F and 5'4..the bmi chart for normal says i should be between 110-140 lbs. Not long ago I saw an old friend who was shocked by my appearance and told me I looked too skinny. I'm currently 142 pounds.
Since I've never had a "normal" body size either, picking a target weight felt unclear. To get a better picture of my current lean mass, I had a dexa scan done. That number became the foundation for my goal. Still, I don't see it as final or absolute. I may land above or below it, and I'll adjust along the way.

For what it's worth, my goal weight sits 40lbs above the figure BMI alone would have led me to pick. Getting the dexa really helped me understand the situation.
 
Old airplanes appeal to me, even though flying isn’t something I do. Perhaps someday.

The “FAA Pilot” stands five-ten and weighs 175lb. Height isn’t something I can reduce, but weight is. Once I’m back at that number, I’ll purchase a plane.
 
Vash_ said:

For me, it’s not a number on the scale—it’s a look I’m aiming for.
At first, I set a target number and reached it. The issue is that my belly is still somewhat there, and I likely have more visceral fat than I'd prefer. At this point, I want to see my abs once more and get a flat stomach. I figure I'm about 10lbs from achieving that, though I'll reassess as I get nearer. It's simple to misjudge how much fat must be shed to reach a given bf%.
 
leeann82 said:

Maybe this sounds silly....but was a bmi chart what you used? Or something else?

I've never been a normal sized adult, so that isn't something I can use as a reference. Right now my goal is 130, and for reference, im a 44F and 5'4..the bmi chart for normal says i should be between 110-140 lbs. Not long ago I saw an old friend who was shocked by my appearance and told me I looked too skinny. I'm currently 142 pounds.
You single??? A friend wants to know...
 
m100568 said:

cldfront said:

leeann82 said:

Maybe this sounds silly....but was a bmi chart what you used? Or something else?

I've never been a normal sized adult, so that isn't something I can use as a reference. Right now my goal is 130, and for reference, im a 44F and 5'4..the bmi chart for normal says i should be between 110-140 lbs. Not long ago I saw an old friend who was shocked by my appearance and told me I looked too skinny. I'm currently 142 pounds.
Someone very close to me, whose judgment I trust and who genuinely wants the best for me, told me that at 5'7" and 195 pounds I was looking too thin. By the charts, that weight still falls within the "obesity" range for my height. Yes, I've dropped 85 pounds and I understand my appearance has changed a lot, but honestly, that remark was absurd. Try not to let remarks like that throw you off track with your health goals.
In my opinion, a lot of folks measure you against the heavier person they still picture in their heads. Once you're at a typical weight, those two pictures don't line up for them. I realize their intentions are good, but I'm with you: your own health goals are what matter. People around you will come around . . . in time.
otherwise not
 
skeptick said:

leeann82 said:

Maybe this sounds silly....but was a bmi chart what you used? Or something else?

I've never been a normal sized adult, so that isn't something I can use as a reference. Right now my goal is 130, and for reference, im a 44F and 5'4..the bmi chart for normal says i should be between 110-140 lbs. Not long ago I saw an old friend who was shocked by my appearance and told me I looked too skinny. I'm currently 142 pounds.
You single??? A friend wants to know...
🤭🤣
 
MsGizmo said:

leeann82 said:

Maybe this sounds silly....but was a bmi chart what you used? Or something else?

I've never been a normal sized adult, so that isn't something I can use as a reference. Right now my goal is 130, and for reference, im a 44F and 5'4..the bmi chart for normal says i should be between 110-140 lbs. Not long ago I saw an old friend who was shocked by my appearance and told me I looked too skinny. I'm currently 142 pounds.
The data behind the BMI charts came only from white men. Even back when I was slim, my large chest and rear meant the charts labeled me "overweight." There was exactly 1 period in my life after puberty when the BMI charts put me in the healthy range. During that time I held down a full time job, attended college full time, worked on a fixer upper house, and babysat on weekends. I was running myself ragged. I looked gaunt and was exhausted. It was horrible. I am also 5'4" and I had dropped down to 145 at that time.

At 160-170 I was at my healthiest and happiest. But at this point in my life I would be happy just to get under 200.
To be honest...I figure that's the reason it doesn't stand out to me the way it does for other people...I carry a lot of weight up top...though I do wish there was a bit more down below for balance! Lol
 
m100568 said:

cldfront said:

leeann82 said:

Maybe this sounds silly....but was a bmi chart what you used? Or something else?

I've never been a normal sized adult, so that isn't something I can use as a reference. Right now my goal is 130, and for reference, im a 44F and 5'4..the bmi chart for normal says i should be between 110-140 lbs. Not long ago I saw an old friend who was shocked by my appearance and told me I looked too skinny. I'm currently 142 pounds.
Someone very close to me, whose judgment I trust and who genuinely wants the best for me, told me that at 5'7" and 195 pounds I was looking too thin. By the charts, that weight still falls within the "obesity" range for my height. Yes, I've dropped 85 pounds and I understand my appearance has changed a lot, but honestly, that remark was absurd. Try not to let remarks like that throw you off track with your health goals.
In my opinion, a lot of folks measure you against the heavier person they still picture in their heads. Once you're at a typical weight, those two pictures don't line up for them. I realize their intentions are good, but I'm with you: your own health goals are what matter. People around you will come around . . . in time.
When I look in the mirror, the 347 version of me is still what I see. After going through every skin removal surgery, I honestly look great now...I'm not the same person I used to be at all. It's been a long journey, but even at this point, whenever I'm clothes shopping, my hand goes straight to the back of the rack for the XXL, even though a small or medium is what I should actually be taking 😅
 
Turbo-Farmer said:

Keep in mind that BMI is just a math formula, and it isn’t valid for every person. If your body type isn’t typical, you might sit outside the standard range and still be in good health.

In the same way, some people whose BMI lands in the normal range can still have an unhealthy level of visceral fat.

Broadly speaking, if you are shorter or taller than the average, the measurement may not match your body type accurately.

In my case, at 6’9”, it always lists me as overweight even though I’m at ease with my weight. I do have weight to lose, but it’s much less than what the BMI suggests.

At my most recent appointment, I asked my Dr what I should weigh. Using the New BMI calculator from Oxford University, she said that if I reached 255 rather than the CDC’s recommended 235, I would be fine. That’s a gap of 20 pounds.
A BMI chart ought to factor in frame size as well. Some charts I've come across are tailored to gender, yet frame categories—small, medium, and large—should be part of them too. I'd call myself a medium frame, so because of that, my target sits closer to the center of the normal weight range.
 
Devilseye said:

Vash_ said:

For me, it’s not a number on the scale—it’s a look I’m aiming for.
At first, I set a target number and reached it. The issue is that my belly is still somewhat there, and I likely have more visceral fat than I'd prefer. At this point, I want to see my abs once more and get a flat stomach. I figure I'm about 10lbs from achieving that, though I'll reassess as I get nearer. It's simple to misjudge how much fat must be shed to reach a given bf%.
I believe there's some visceral fat in my case as well. More than 200 pounds have come off, and even after skin removal procedures plus a 360 tummy tuck, my midsection still strikes me as somewhat broad....I'm hoping tesa will make a difference here...fingers crossed, week two is just about to begin 🤞
 
leeann82 said:

Maybe this sounds silly....but was a bmi chart what you used? Or something else?

I've never been a normal sized adult, so that isn't something I can use as a reference. Right now my goal is 130, and for reference, im a 44F and 5'4..the bmi chart for normal says i should be between 110-140 lbs. Not long ago I saw an old friend who was shocked by my appearance and told me I looked too skinny. I'm currently 142 pounds.

Starting weight: 230# in Jan 2022

Current weight: 168# as of Apr 2026

Goal weight: 150#

Looking back through my medical records, here are the weights recorded at different points:

Sep 1990- 135# Enlistment

Oct 1991- 155#

Jul 1992- 160#

Jul 1995- 168#

Jan 1998- 172# early pregnancy

Aug 1998- 210# delivery

Jan 1999- 210#

Jan 2000- 180# ETS

Jun 2000- 260# Waking up and seeing what my body had become during that depression was really tough.

Jun 2001- 180#

Jun 2004- 200#

Jun 2009- 220#

Jun 2013- 220#

Jun 2015- 200#

Jun 2018- 230#

Jan 2022- 230#- started Oz

Then a gradual decline to my current weight... I'm dealing with some loose skin and hair loss, but I'm tackling each issue as it comes ... One thing at a time.

Be kind to yourself.

It's tough to face where we've been, and perhaps still are, in mind, heart, and body.
 
The weight I’m aiming for is one I hit (and maintained for a period) after dropping 18kg 30 years back.

It just so happens that this lines up with a BMI of 24.9, meaning normal.

I’ve got just a handful of pounds left to go.
 
I consulted AI, giving it my age, ethnicity, height, and bone structure. As a 61-year-old white male standing 6'0", the suggestion came back at 165-170. I currently weigh 170 with 11% body fat (so muscle mass is present). Friends tell me I look too thin. Even so, my health is better than it has been in 30 years.

A great deal of it comes down to ignorance. I invite them to compare blood work, but they decline.
 
BMI has never been something I bothered checking, because it was always far too elevated and was simply a figure I avoided and acted like it wasn't there. In that sense, not knowing feels better. Regarding a target weight, I figure losing 50-60lbs down to 205-210 is doable, though I'm hesitant about giving up any muscle. I've been going to the gym 3-5 times weekly since 10/1/24, and closer to 3 times weekly over the prior 10 years.
 
Foggy-Hollow said:

When I dropped the weight the first time, my target was the upper boundary of the BMI range. That figure intimidated me. Reaching it felt incredible — that was roughly 17 years back, and I haven't been at that point for over 14 years.

Those close to you are noticing a difference, and that's a positive thing. Interpret what they say like this: the change might be frightening to them. Since more than 70% of Americans are overweight or obese, YES a healthy appearance seems thin next to the majority. That's literally true.

Body fat came up in someone's reply, and it's a better measure. Just be ready: most people think they have more muscle than they do. (I include myself in that.) Another thing to remember: impedance scales work fine as /directional/ signals even when the figure itself isn't spot on. In other words, if your BF% is falling on one of those scales, it's likely genuinely falling. The exact number, though, comes with a wide margin of error. Still, for tracking direction they're helpful provided the time of day and hydration stay fairly steady.

Choose a measure, then go achieve it. 🙂
Huge congrats on keeping the weight off for so long!!!! That's amazing.
 
Back
Top