Hitting a wall with Reta dosing

Omxxl

Explorer
Joined
Mar 6, 2026
Messages
161
Reaction score
0
Location
Europa
My situation, in short. Eight months is how long I've been on Reta, and roughly two months ago the maximum came into view: 4 mg, split into two weekly injections. Jumping straight to 3 mg per injection was something I tried, and heartburn followed — it felt like gastritis. Then 2.5 mg, and even at 2 mg there are still times I notice it.

Dropping to 1.5 mg per injection (3 mg weekly) a couple of weeks ago made things much better. But going back up to 2 mg (4 mg weekly) brought the heartburn back, mildly.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Increasing the dose any further isn't possible for me, which means the effects are barely noticeable now; the scale has crept up a bit too, since appetite suppression isn't as strong.
 
Omxxl said:

My situation, in short. Eight months is how long I've been on Reta, and roughly two months ago the maximum came into view: 4 mg, split into two weekly injections. Jumping straight to 3 mg per injection was something I tried, and heartburn followed — it felt like gastritis. Then 2.5 mg, and even at 2 mg there are still times I notice it.

Dropping to 1.5 mg per injection (3 mg weekly) a couple of weeks ago made things much better. But going back up to 2 mg (4 mg weekly) brought the heartburn back, mildly.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Increasing the dose any further isn't possible for me, which means the effects are barely noticeable now; the scale has crept up a bit too, since appetite suppression isn't as strong.
Grab a PPI such as omeprazole and you're set. I had a similar problem (nothing to do with Reta) and it works perfectly!
 
An L. Acidophilus probiotic appears to have done me some good. Heartburn used to hit me at the lower doses, but I kept titrating up every 4 weeks regardless, and in the end it faded.
 
Yes — the skin sensitivity is what does me in at 4mg twice a week, so we're in the same boat. Staying at the dose you tolerate best and covering the shortfall with some added tirz is one option.
 
Starting a KPV trial of my own soon. While reading up on it, I kept running into reports that it clears up the heartburn and reflux people get from reta. Worth a try, and it doesn't cost much.
 
Omxxl said:

My situation, in short. Eight months is how long I've been on Reta, and roughly two months ago the maximum came into view: 4 mg, split into two weekly injections. Jumping straight to 3 mg per injection was something I tried, and heartburn followed — it felt like gastritis. Then 2.5 mg, and even at 2 mg there are still times I notice it.

Dropping to 1.5 mg per injection (3 mg weekly) a couple of weeks ago made things much better. But going back up to 2 mg (4 mg weekly) brought the heartburn back, mildly.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Increasing the dose any further isn't possible for me, which means the effects are barely noticeable now; the scale has crept up a bit too, since appetite suppression isn't as strong.
Appetite suppression is what you want, and this is the wrong med for it — transition over to Tirzepatide. Higher doses are often needed with Reta for appetite suppression. Eating more low calorie dense foods and tracking your intake is probably where the larger focus should go.
 
Back when I was on 4mg the burn showed up for a spell, though never during the day - nights only. A few Tums sorted it out. Give it time; it fades on its own, trust me. By the time I hit 10mg there was nothing at all.
 
Yamfer2026 said:

Omxxl said:

My situation, in short. Eight months is how long I've been on Reta, and roughly two months ago the maximum came into view: 4 mg, split into two weekly injections. Jumping straight to 3 mg per injection was something I tried, and heartburn followed — it felt like gastritis. Then 2.5 mg, and even at 2 mg there are still times I notice it.

Dropping to 1.5 mg per injection (3 mg weekly) a couple of weeks ago made things much better. But going back up to 2 mg (4 mg weekly) brought the heartburn back, mildly.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Increasing the dose any further isn't possible for me, which means the effects are barely noticeable now; the scale has crept up a bit too, since appetite suppression isn't as strong.
Grab a PPI such as omeprazole and you're set. I had a similar problem (nothing to do with Reta) and it works perfectly!
I agree — a 14 day run of Prilosec is what I did, and no problem so far.
 
BNLFL said:

Back when I was on 4mg the burn showed up for a spell, though never during the day - nights only. A few Tums sorted it out. Give it time; it fades on its own, trust me. By the time I hit 10mg there was nothing at all.
Exactly the same happened when I started Tirz…a split dose of Reta went in 3 weeks ago, and titrating up is what I'll do over the next dose or so, with the tums kept handy for that…

…and KPV is what I use, as was mentioned, and I think that helps a lot as well…
 
Flash-BCR said:

BNLFL said:

Back when I was on 4mg the burn showed up for a spell, though never during the day - nights only. A few Tums sorted it out. Give it time; it fades on its own, trust me. By the time I hit 10mg there was nothing at all.
Exactly the same happened when I started Tirz…a split dose of Reta went in 3 weeks ago, and titrating up is what I'll do over the next dose or so, with the tums kept handy for that…

…and KPV is what I use, as was mentioned, and I think that helps a lot as well…
That stuff got a look from me yesterday, in connection with that other deal.
 
BNLFL said:

Back when I was on 4mg the burn showed up for a spell, though never during the day - nights only. A few Tums sorted it out. Give it time; it fades on its own, trust me. By the time I hit 10mg there was nothing at all.
Where are you dose-wise now? Going to 6 mg is what I'm fixing to do. 38 lbs gone so far. People Tell me that at 6 mg it's like a switch turned on, and the glucagon effects kick in. 20 more lbs to go for me.
 
BNLFL said:

Flash-BCR said:

BNLFL said:

Back when I was on 4mg the burn showed up for a spell, though never during the day - nights only. A few Tums sorted it out. Give it time; it fades on its own, trust me. By the time I hit 10mg there was nothing at all.
Exactly the same happened when I started Tirz…a split dose of Reta went in 3 weeks ago, and titrating up is what I'll do over the next dose or so, with the tums kept handy for that…

…and KPV is what I use, as was mentioned, and I think that helps a lot as well…
That stuff got a look from me yesterday, in connection with that other deal.
My guess is a bit will make its way to you before long, and then you can give it a whirl…. 👍
 
Omxxl said:

My situation, in short. Eight months is how long I've been on Reta, and roughly two months ago the maximum came into view: 4 mg, split into two weekly injections. Jumping straight to 3 mg per injection was something I tried, and heartburn followed — it felt like gastritis. Then 2.5 mg, and even at 2 mg there are still times I notice it.

Dropping to 1.5 mg per injection (3 mg weekly) a couple of weeks ago made things much better. But going back up to 2 mg (4 mg weekly) brought the heartburn back, mildly.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Increasing the dose any further isn't possible for me, which means the effects are barely noticeable now; the scale has crept up a bit too, since appetite suppression isn't as strong.
Heartburn on Tirzepatide, and I mean extreme. The reflux kind — acid in the mouth, waking you at night. Daily Omeprazole is what I started on, and the heartburn vanished completely (a day or two is what it needs to take effect). A few weeks in, the Omeprazole was reduced, and in the end dropped altogether. It has never come back, most likely down to the eating habit change that GLP-1s bring about.
 
FartfulCodger said:

Omxxl said:

My situation, in short. Eight months is how long I've been on Reta, and roughly two months ago the maximum came into view: 4 mg, split into two weekly injections. Jumping straight to 3 mg per injection was something I tried, and heartburn followed — it felt like gastritis. Then 2.5 mg, and even at 2 mg there are still times I notice it.

Dropping to 1.5 mg per injection (3 mg weekly) a couple of weeks ago made things much better. But going back up to 2 mg (4 mg weekly) brought the heartburn back, mildly.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Increasing the dose any further isn't possible for me, which means the effects are barely noticeable now; the scale has crept up a bit too, since appetite suppression isn't as strong.
Heartburn on Tirzepatide, and I mean extreme. The reflux kind — acid in the mouth, waking you at night. Daily Omeprazole is what I started on, and the heartburn vanished completely (a day or two is what it needs to take effect). A few weeks in, the Omeprazole was reduced, and in the end dropped altogether. It has never come back, most likely down to the eating habit change that GLP-1s bring about.
Not eating anything at least 4 hours before bed was one of the things I had to learn with Tirz. Reflux follows as surely as clockwork if I eat inside that pre-bed window. Honor the window and there's never a problem.
 
HARLEYV2 said:

BNLFL said:

Back when I was on 4mg the burn showed up for a spell, though never during the day - nights only. A few Tums sorted it out. Give it time; it fades on its own, trust me. By the time I hit 10mg there was nothing at all.
Where are you dose-wise now? Going to 6 mg is what I'm fixing to do. 38 lbs gone so far. People Tell me that at 6 mg it's like a switch turned on, and the glucagon effects kick in. 20 more lbs to go for me.
10mg was where I was, and my wife as well. These days it's between 6 and 8mg that I bounce, each stretch running 4 weeks, with the Friday 5AM scale deciding. Maintenance mode. 30 weeks is what it took to drop 60lbs. The 4-6 and 8mg steps really did work on me, and each one was held for something like 6 weeks. Next Friday is doses day for my wife, and 12mg is the likely next step since she's still on 10.

Flash-BCR said:

BNLFL said:

Flash-BCR said:

BNLFL said:

Back when I was on 4mg the burn showed up for a spell, though never during the day - nights only. A few Tums sorted it out. Give it time; it fades on its own, trust me. By the time I hit 10mg there was nothing at all.
Exactly the same happened when I started Tirz…a split dose of Reta went in 3 weeks ago, and titrating up is what I'll do over the next dose or so, with the tums kept handy for that…

…and KPV is what I use, as was mentioned, and I think that helps a lot as well…
That stuff got a look from me yesterday, in connection with that other deal.
My guess is a bit will make its way to you before long, and then you can give it a whirl…. 👍
Why was I feeling that? 😉
 
BNLFL said:

HARLEYV2 said:

BNLFL said:

Back when I was on 4mg the burn showed up for a spell, though never during the day - nights only. A few Tums sorted it out. Give it time; it fades on its own, trust me. By the time I hit 10mg there was nothing at all.
Where are you dose-wise now? Going to 6 mg is what I'm fixing to do. 38 lbs gone so far. People Tell me that at 6 mg it's like a switch turned on, and the glucagon effects kick in. 20 more lbs to go for me.
10mg was where I was, and my wife as well. These days it's between 6 and 8mg that I bounce, each stretch running 4 weeks, with the Friday 5AM scale deciding. Maintenance mode. 30 weeks is what it took to drop 60lbs. The 4-6 and 8mg steps really did work on me, and each one was held for something like 6 weeks. Next Friday is doses day for my wife, and 12mg is the likely next step since she's still on 10.

Flash-BCR said:

BNLFL said:

Flash-BCR said:

BNLFL said:

Back when I was on 4mg the burn showed up for a spell, though never during the day - nights only. A few Tums sorted it out. Give it time; it fades on its own, trust me. By the time I hit 10mg there was nothing at all.
Exactly the same happened when I started Tirz…a split dose of Reta went in 3 weeks ago, and titrating up is what I'll do over the next dose or so, with the tums kept handy for that…

…and KPV is what I use, as was mentioned, and I think that helps a lot as well…
That stuff got a look from me yesterday, in connection with that other deal.
My guess is a bit will make its way to you before long, and then you can give it a whirl…. 👍
Why was I feeling that? 😉
How did Friday's weigh in go? still losing?
 
spanky2026 said:

FartfulCodger said:

Omxxl said:

My situation, in short. Eight months is how long I've been on Reta, and roughly two months ago the maximum came into view: 4 mg, split into two weekly injections. Jumping straight to 3 mg per injection was something I tried, and heartburn followed — it felt like gastritis. Then 2.5 mg, and even at 2 mg there are still times I notice it.

Dropping to 1.5 mg per injection (3 mg weekly) a couple of weeks ago made things much better. But going back up to 2 mg (4 mg weekly) brought the heartburn back, mildly.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Increasing the dose any further isn't possible for me, which means the effects are barely noticeable now; the scale has crept up a bit too, since appetite suppression isn't as strong.
Heartburn on Tirzepatide, and I mean extreme. The reflux kind — acid in the mouth, waking you at night. Daily Omeprazole is what I started on, and the heartburn vanished completely (a day or two is what it needs to take effect). A few weeks in, the Omeprazole was reduced, and in the end dropped altogether. It has never come back, most likely down to the eating habit change that GLP-1s bring about.
Not eating anything at least 4 hours before bed was one of the things I had to learn with Tirz. Reflux follows as surely as clockwork if I eat inside that pre-bed window. Honor the window and there's never a problem.
Yup. In bed I do get a slight touch of heartburn — not even worthy of an antacid — and it always follows a foolish small bowl of cereal at 10PM.
 
Yamfer2026 said:

Omxxl said:

My situation, in short. Eight months is how long I've been on Reta, and roughly two months ago the maximum came into view: 4 mg, split into two weekly injections. Jumping straight to 3 mg per injection was something I tried, and heartburn followed — it felt like gastritis. Then 2.5 mg, and even at 2 mg there are still times I notice it.

Dropping to 1.5 mg per injection (3 mg weekly) a couple of weeks ago made things much better. But going back up to 2 mg (4 mg weekly) brought the heartburn back, mildly.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Increasing the dose any further isn't possible for me, which means the effects are barely noticeable now; the scale has crept up a bit too, since appetite suppression isn't as strong.
Grab a PPI such as omeprazole and you're set. I had a similar problem (nothing to do with Reta) and it works perfectly!
Thanks a million for everyone's advice. Omeprazole is where I'll start.
 
Should omeprazole not work completely, the newest medication for heartburn is Voquezna, which is available as a generic from India. After trying all the other PPIs, it was nothing short of a miracle for me.

When heartburn is minor, Alka-Seltzer is my go-to.

In theory, KPV isn't the only option — BPC could help too.
 
Researcher.Rigby said:

An L. Acidophilus probiotic appears to have done me some good. Heartburn used to hit me at the lower doses, but I kept titrating up every 4 weeks regardless, and in the end it faded.
Acidophilus is what gets my vote. It cleared my sulfur burps up entirely.
 
Back
Top