Help me fine-tune my training plan

Wacky

Explorer
Joined
May 17, 2026
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
London
I’ve been hitting the gym 6 days a week without missing a session for 3 months straight. My strength has gone up a lot (I’ll list my numbers below). As for my current split, honestly I don’t know what it’s called — all I know is that the back half of my week follows Arnold’s routine. I’ll attach a picture showing my split and which exercises I use for each muscle group. If you spot anything I should improve, please let me know. I’m still a beginner at the gym, but I’ve managed to get a handle on most of the basics. I really NEED advice for my wrist pain, oh my lord — it holds me back so much and I have no idea how to sort it out. Anyway, here are the benchmarks: (every machine is a Matrix machine)

Preacher Curl Machine: 73kg

Cable Tricep Pushdown: 37.5kg

Lat Pulldown: 93 (planning to go to 103 next week)

Incline Chest (Smith): 30kg per side, 71KG TOTAL ---------> My left wrist limits me a LOT, so now I can only manage around 25kg at about 4-5/10 pain.

Pec Fly: 120KG

Shoulder Press Machine: 40kg per side ------> Again, my left wrist drags it down to 30 kilos with 6/10 pain

If there’s any other machine you want to know about, just ask and I’ll give you the numbers.

Please tell me what I should change, what to keep, and anything else you think would help.
 
For pain in the wrist, a cortisone injection could be beneficial. You may also need to give it some rest so it can heal.
 
some guy is asking how to improve his training plan and all anyone says is to add more peptides, seriously?

Wacky said:

I’ve been hitting the gym 6 days a week without missing a session for 3 months straight. My strength has gone up a lot (I’ll list my numbers below). As for my current split, honestly I don’t know what it’s called — all I know is that the back half of my week follows Arnold’s routine. I’ll attach a picture showing my split and which exercises I use for each muscle group. If you spot anything I should improve, please let me know. I’m still a beginner at the gym, but I’ve managed to get a handle on most of the basics. I really NEED advice for my wrist pain, oh my lord — it holds me back so much and I have no idea how to sort it out. Anyway, here are the benchmarks: (every machine is a Matrix machine)

Preacher Curl Machine: 73kg

Cable Tricep Pushdown: 37.5kg

Lat Pulldown: 93 (planning to go to 103 next week)

Incline Chest (Smith): 30kg per side, 71KG TOTAL ---------> My left wrist limits me a LOT, so now I can only manage around 25kg at about 4-5/10 pain.

Pec Fly: 120KG

Shoulder Press Machine: 40kg per side ------> Again, my left wrist drags it down to 30 kilos with 6/10 pain

If there’s any other machine you want to know about, just ask and I’ll give you the numbers.

Please tell me what I should change, what to keep, and anything else you think would help.

What are you actually aiming for?

Is the aim fat loss? Getting stronger? Putting on size? Looking better? What exactly are you after
 
wildweasel said:

some guy is asking how to improve his training plan and all anyone says is to add more peptides, seriously?

Wacky said:

I’ve been hitting the gym 6 days a week without missing a session for 3 months straight. My strength has gone up a lot (I’ll list my numbers below). As for my current split, honestly I don’t know what it’s called — all I know is that the back half of my week follows Arnold’s routine. I’ll attach a picture showing my split and which exercises I use for each muscle group. If you spot anything I should improve, please let me know. I’m still a beginner at the gym, but I’ve managed to get a handle on most of the basics. I really NEED advice for my wrist pain, oh my lord — it holds me back so much and I have no idea how to sort it out. Anyway, here are the benchmarks: (every machine is a Matrix machine)

Preacher Curl Machine: 73kg

Cable Tricep Pushdown: 37.5kg

Lat Pulldown: 93 (planning to go to 103 next week)

Incline Chest (Smith): 30kg per side, 71KG TOTAL ---------> My left wrist limits me a LOT, so now I can only manage around 25kg at about 4-5/10 pain.

Pec Fly: 120KG

Shoulder Press Machine: 40kg per side ------> Again, my left wrist drags it down to 30 kilos with 6/10 pain

If there’s any other machine you want to know about, just ask and I’ll give you the numbers.

Please tell me what I should change, what to keep, and anything else you think would help.

What are you actually aiming for?

Is the aim fat loss? Getting stronger? Putting on size? Looking better? What exactly are you after
lol ikr!

Wacky said:

I’ve been hitting the gym 6 days a week without missing a session for 3 months straight. My strength has gone up a lot (I’ll list my numbers below). As for my current split, honestly I don’t know what it’s called — all I know is that the back half of my week follows Arnold’s routine. I’ll attach a picture showing my split and which exercises I use for each muscle group. If you spot anything I should improve, please let me know. I’m still a beginner at the gym, but I’ve managed to get a handle on most of the basics. I really NEED advice for my wrist pain, oh my lord — it holds me back so much and I have no idea how to sort it out. Anyway, here are the benchmarks: (every machine is a Matrix machine)

Preacher Curl Machine: 73kg

Cable Tricep Pushdown: 37.5kg

Lat Pulldown: 93 (planning to go to 103 next week)

Incline Chest (Smith): 30kg per side, 71KG TOTAL ---------> My left wrist limits me a LOT, so now I can only manage around 25kg at about 4-5/10 pain.

Pec Fly: 120KG

Shoulder Press Machine: 40kg per side ------> Again, my left wrist drags it down to 30 kilos with 6/10 pain

If there’s any other machine you want to know about, just ask and I’ll give you the numbers.

Please tell me what I should change, what to keep, and anything else you think would help.
Roughly 3 years back I got into lifting, and pretty quickly my wrists started holding me back too. What worked for me was dropping the load and doing each rep a bit more slowly, with cleaner technique and more control. That appeared to clear it up. The same pattern hit my left shoulder or left clavicle, particularly on bench. The cause was simply ego lifting. Once you ditch the ego, reduce the weight, make a big improvement to your form, and push the reps up into the 10 to 15 range, staying there and going to failure, then no joints ache. I've kept at this for a while now. The hypertrophy I'm getting is insane. So it's great that your strength has increased significantly, but maybe stop chasing heavy numbers and instead prioritize form and how good each single rep is. After I made that switch, every bit of my joint pain gradually vanished. I train daily for two hours (ppl split) and have zero joint pain. So my question to you is whats your rep range looking like? are you ego lifting?
 
Every one of those workout numbers holds up, sure — yet if the wrist is hurting or injured, none of it counts for much. I've dealt with wrist problems myself, one of them serious. After 7 years of treatments that went nowhere, the sidewinder finally sorted it out. Much like the ankle, the wrist is a fragile joint, but you can't do any upper-body work without it. Once I got it treated, it turned into the body part I most enjoy training.
 
Wacky said:

I’ve been hitting the gym 6 days a week without missing a session for 3 months straight. My strength has gone up a lot (I’ll list my numbers below). As for my current split, honestly I don’t know what it’s called — all I know is that the back half of my week follows Arnold’s routine. I’ll attach a picture showing my split and which exercises I use for each muscle group. If you spot anything I should improve, please let me know. I’m still a beginner at the gym, but I’ve managed to get a handle on most of the basics. I really NEED advice for my wrist pain, oh my lord — it holds me back so much and I have no idea how to sort it out. Anyway, here are the benchmarks: (every machine is a Matrix machine)

Preacher Curl Machine: 73kg

Cable Tricep Pushdown: 37.5kg

Lat Pulldown: 93 (planning to go to 103 next week)

Incline Chest (Smith): 30kg per side, 71KG TOTAL ---------> My left wrist limits me a LOT, so now I can only manage around 25kg at about 4-5/10 pain.

Pec Fly: 120KG

Shoulder Press Machine: 40kg per side ------> Again, my left wrist drags it down to 30 kilos with 6/10 pain

If there’s any other machine you want to know about, just ask and I’ll give you the numbers.

Please tell me what I should change, what to keep, and anything else you think would help.

wildweasel said:

some guy is asking how to improve his training plan and all anyone says is to add more peptides, seriously?

Wacky said:

I’ve been hitting the gym 6 days a week without missing a session for 3 months straight. My strength has gone up a lot (I’ll list my numbers below). As for my current split, honestly I don’t know what it’s called — all I know is that the back half of my week follows Arnold’s routine. I’ll attach a picture showing my split and which exercises I use for each muscle group. If you spot anything I should improve, please let me know. I’m still a beginner at the gym, but I’ve managed to get a handle on most of the basics. I really NEED advice for my wrist pain, oh my lord — it holds me back so much and I have no idea how to sort it out. Anyway, here are the benchmarks: (every machine is a Matrix machine)

Preacher Curl Machine: 73kg

Cable Tricep Pushdown: 37.5kg

Lat Pulldown: 93 (planning to go to 103 next week)

Incline Chest (Smith): 30kg per side, 71KG TOTAL ---------> My left wrist limits me a LOT, so now I can only manage around 25kg at about 4-5/10 pain.

Pec Fly: 120KG

Shoulder Press Machine: 40kg per side ------> Again, my left wrist drags it down to 30 kilos with 6/10 pain

If there’s any other machine you want to know about, just ask and I’ll give you the numbers.

Please tell me what I should change, what to keep, and anything else you think would help.

What are you actually aiming for?

Is the aim fat loss? Getting stronger? Putting on size? Looking better? What exactly are you after
Seems like zeroing in on the wrist pain was the right call, huh? 😈 😎 😉
 
Let your wrist recover, forget about perfecting every detail, and pick exercises that don't cause pain—it doesn't matter if your routine isn't "perfect". What counts most is a workout you're able and willing to stick with. You won't make progress if your wrist takes you out of the game.
 
Smiter said:

Every one of those workout numbers holds up, sure — yet if the wrist is hurting or injured, none of it counts for much. I've dealt with wrist problems myself, one of them serious. After 7 years of treatments that went nowhere, the sidewinder finally sorted it out. Much like the ankle, the wrist is a fragile joint, but you can't do any upper-body work without it. Once I got it treated, it turned into the body part I most enjoy training.
The reason I brought up all those workout metrics is that I figured his wrist pain showed up once he started training on a regular basis. So right now, I can't tell whether the wrist pain was something chronic—present even before he began training consistently—or whether it emerged afterward. If it came afterward, then the workout metrics are definitely useful. If it's been a long-standing problem, I honestly don't know what the move is 🤷‍♂️

in that case, your point about it possibly being a medical issue, like arthritis, and needing some peps to address it might be on the money
 
Crowreap said:

Smiter said:

Every one of those workout numbers holds up, sure — yet if the wrist is hurting or injured, none of it counts for much. I've dealt with wrist problems myself, one of them serious. After 7 years of treatments that went nowhere, the sidewinder finally sorted it out. Much like the ankle, the wrist is a fragile joint, but you can't do any upper-body work without it. Once I got it treated, it turned into the body part I most enjoy training.
The reason I brought up all those workout metrics is that I figured his wrist pain showed up once he started training on a regular basis. So right now, I can't tell whether the wrist pain was something chronic—present even before he began training consistently—or whether it emerged afterward. If it came afterward, then the workout metrics are definitely useful. If it's been a long-standing problem, I honestly don't know what the move is 🤷‍♂️

in that case, your point about it possibly being a medical issue, like arthritis, and needing some peps to address it might be on the money
No, that's not it at all. The timing of when his wrist started bothering him never crossed my mind, honestly. If this were just a strain from working out, then pushing through the discomfort could make sense. But based on what you're describing, it seems more like an injury — given how much his strength fluctuates and the level of pain he's reporting. That really points to an injury, or at least one that's developing. Sure, he'd need to build up his wrist strength, no question about that, but he should also get it looked at and figure out what's going on as soon as possible.
 
Wrist injuries can be tricky, especially something like a TFCC issue. Really hoping that's not what I'm dealing with.. I've heard that one is a b!tch to handle.
 
Oh, one more thing I left out. As I was grabbing my gym bag, I suddenly recalled a gadget I keep around. Your wrists hurt and mine don't, but even if my reason for using it is different, it should still help you. Try to find an equivalent item where you are in the UK.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0FDG1DQ1N
 
The routine is fine. It might be somewhat convoluted and/or repetitive in a few ways. But if your wrist is in agony, deal with that before anything else. When you can't grip the weight correctly, the effort you're investing won't yield much. Or, even worse, you could create imbalances that you'll later need to spend time correcting. Pick up some equipment to assist, such as wrist wraps, which add compression and stability to the joint. For certain movements, wrist straps with a D ring remove the grip element entirely and boost your grip so less force is needed to hold the weight. That improves back movements regardless, since your grip strength won't fail before your back does.

You're already running a modified PPLUL split, which is excellent. The lower sessions look like they'd take ages, and you're missing any direct hamstring work while also duplicating a pressing movement (leg press and squat). I'd replace one with a leg curl or hyperextension. Or even better, rotate which pressing move you do each session.

IMHO you've chosen one of the "best" splits that many people adore, but personally I'd consider switching a few small details to finish your work quicker. For example, do my calf raises on the leg press machine right after each set, so both exercises happen simultaneously. Drop the hanging leg raises, since they're very often performed incorrectly and are mostly a hip flexor movement for most people, and concentrate on cable ab crunches for the bulk of ab work. Replace the wide and narrow rows with just a solid neutral grip. I've found walking dumbbell lunges hit my adductor/abductors and glutes enough that I don't need those specific machines for them, letting me get much more done faster. Plus it's a good athletic movement for balance and a bit of cardio.

Just small things you COULD do to help you focus more and spend less time in the gym, if you wanted. It all comes down to what works for you.. but stop the damn wrist curls until your wrist is sorted lol
 
bbbilly said:

The routine is fine. It might be somewhat convoluted and/or repetitive in a few ways. But if your wrist is in agony, deal with that before anything else. When you can't grip the weight correctly, the effort you're investing won't yield much. Or, even worse, you could create imbalances that you'll later need to spend time correcting. Pick up some equipment to assist, such as wrist wraps, which add compression and stability to the joint. For certain movements, wrist straps with a D ring remove the grip element entirely and boost your grip so less force is needed to hold the weight. That improves back movements regardless, since your grip strength won't fail before your back does.

You're already running a modified PPLUL split, which is excellent. The lower sessions look like they'd take ages, and you're missing any direct hamstring work while also duplicating a pressing movement (leg press and squat). I'd replace one with a leg curl or hyperextension. Or even better, rotate which pressing move you do each session.

IMHO you've chosen one of the "best" splits that many people adore, but personally I'd consider switching a few small details to finish your work quicker. For example, do my calf raises on the leg press machine right after each set, so both exercises happen simultaneously. Drop the hanging leg raises, since they're very often performed incorrectly and are mostly a hip flexor movement for most people, and concentrate on cable ab crunches for the bulk of ab work. Replace the wide and narrow rows with just a solid neutral grip. I've found walking dumbbell lunges hit my adductor/abductors and glutes enough that I don't need those specific machines for them, letting me get much more done faster. Plus it's a good athletic movement for balance and a bit of cardio.

Just small things you COULD do to help you focus more and spend less time in the gym, if you wanted. It all comes down to what works for you.. but stop the damn wrist curls until your wrist is sorted lol
Exactly, man... Everyone else, pay attention.
 
Smiter said:

Correct your wrist. What's going on? Wolverine or GLOW might be useful.
Basically, whenever I do shoulder press or bench press, keeping my wrist and forearm aligned is a struggle — my wrist ends up rotating about 90 degrees, and during my working set that brings pain.

birdwhacker said:

For your wrist, take BPC at 0.5mg 2 to 3 times daily, along with cartalax 1mg and KPV 1mg each day. Once you're familiar with how BPC affects you, introduce tb4/tb500 at 3-5mg weekly.

View: https://youtu.be/GmMfW2kCkeE
Appreciate the video, but I'm not looking to add extra peps at this point. Right now reta is the only pep I'm on, since it's the only one I've researched thoroughly. Once I dig deeper into other peps, I'll start using them.

wildweasel said:

some guy is asking how to improve his training plan and all anyone says is to add more peptides, seriously?

Wacky said:

I’ve been hitting the gym 6 days a week without missing a session for 3 months straight. My strength has gone up a lot (I’ll list my numbers below). As for my current split, honestly I don’t know what it’s called — all I know is that the back half of my week follows Arnold’s routine. I’ll attach a picture showing my split and which exercises I use for each muscle group. If you spot anything I should improve, please let me know. I’m still a beginner at the gym, but I’ve managed to get a handle on most of the basics. I really NEED advice for my wrist pain, oh my lord — it holds me back so much and I have no idea how to sort it out. Anyway, here are the benchmarks: (every machine is a Matrix machine)

Preacher Curl Machine: 73kg

Cable Tricep Pushdown: 37.5kg

Lat Pulldown: 93 (planning to go to 103 next week)

Incline Chest (Smith): 30kg per side, 71KG TOTAL ---------> My left wrist limits me a LOT, so now I can only manage around 25kg at about 4-5/10 pain.

Pec Fly: 120KG

Shoulder Press Machine: 40kg per side ------> Again, my left wrist drags it down to 30 kilos with 6/10 pain

If there’s any other machine you want to know about, just ask and I’ll give you the numbers.

Please tell me what I should change, what to keep, and anything else you think would help.

What are you actually aiming for?

Is the aim fat loss? Getting stronger? Putting on size? Looking better? What exactly are you after
LOL FR.

My plan is to drop fat while keeping or building muscle mass.
 
Wacky said:

Smiter said:

Correct your wrist. What's going on? Wolverine or GLOW might be useful.
Basically, whenever I do shoulder press or bench press, keeping my wrist and forearm aligned is a struggle — my wrist ends up rotating about 90 degrees, and during my working set that brings pain.

birdwhacker said:

For your wrist, take BPC at 0.5mg 2 to 3 times daily, along with cartalax 1mg and KPV 1mg each day. Once you're familiar with how BPC affects you, introduce tb4/tb500 at 3-5mg weekly.

View: https://youtu.be/GmMfW2kCkeE
Appreciate the video, but I'm not looking to add extra peps at this point. Right now reta is the only pep I'm on, since it's the only one I've researched thoroughly. Once I dig deeper into other peps, I'll start using them.

wildweasel said:

some guy is asking how to improve his training plan and all anyone says is to add more peptides, seriously?

Wacky said:

I’ve been hitting the gym 6 days a week without missing a session for 3 months straight. My strength has gone up a lot (I’ll list my numbers below). As for my current split, honestly I don’t know what it’s called — all I know is that the back half of my week follows Arnold’s routine. I’ll attach a picture showing my split and which exercises I use for each muscle group. If you spot anything I should improve, please let me know. I’m still a beginner at the gym, but I’ve managed to get a handle on most of the basics. I really NEED advice for my wrist pain, oh my lord — it holds me back so much and I have no idea how to sort it out. Anyway, here are the benchmarks: (every machine is a Matrix machine)

Preacher Curl Machine: 73kg

Cable Tricep Pushdown: 37.5kg

Lat Pulldown: 93 (planning to go to 103 next week)

Incline Chest (Smith): 30kg per side, 71KG TOTAL ---------> My left wrist limits me a LOT, so now I can only manage around 25kg at about 4-5/10 pain.

Pec Fly: 120KG

Shoulder Press Machine: 40kg per side ------> Again, my left wrist drags it down to 30 kilos with 6/10 pain

If there’s any other machine you want to know about, just ask and I’ll give you the numbers.

Please tell me what I should change, what to keep, and anything else you think would help.

What are you actually aiming for?

Is the aim fat loss? Getting stronger? Putting on size? Looking better? What exactly are you after
LOL FR.

My plan is to drop fat while keeping or building muscle mass.
No problem at all.

Wacky said:

Smiter said:

Correct your wrist. What's going on? Wolverine or GLOW might be useful.
Basically, whenever I do shoulder press or bench press, keeping my wrist and forearm aligned is a struggle — my wrist ends up rotating about 90 degrees, and during my working set that brings pain.

birdwhacker said:

For your wrist, take BPC at 0.5mg 2 to 3 times daily, along with cartalax 1mg and KPV 1mg each day. Once you're familiar with how BPC affects you, introduce tb4/tb500 at 3-5mg weekly.

View: https://youtu.be/GmMfW2kCkeE
Appreciate the video, but I'm not looking to add extra peps at this point. Right now reta is the only pep I'm on, since it's the only one I've researched thoroughly. Once I dig deeper into other peps, I'll start using them.

wildweasel said:

some guy is asking how to improve his training plan and all anyone says is to add more peptides, seriously?

Wacky said:

I’ve been hitting the gym 6 days a week without missing a session for 3 months straight. My strength has gone up a lot (I’ll list my numbers below). As for my current split, honestly I don’t know what it’s called — all I know is that the back half of my week follows Arnold’s routine. I’ll attach a picture showing my split and which exercises I use for each muscle group. If you spot anything I should improve, please let me know. I’m still a beginner at the gym, but I’ve managed to get a handle on most of the basics. I really NEED advice for my wrist pain, oh my lord — it holds me back so much and I have no idea how to sort it out. Anyway, here are the benchmarks: (every machine is a Matrix machine)

Preacher Curl Machine: 73kg

Cable Tricep Pushdown: 37.5kg

Lat Pulldown: 93 (planning to go to 103 next week)

Incline Chest (Smith): 30kg per side, 71KG TOTAL ---------> My left wrist limits me a LOT, so now I can only manage around 25kg at about 4-5/10 pain.

Pec Fly: 120KG

Shoulder Press Machine: 40kg per side ------> Again, my left wrist drags it down to 30 kilos with 6/10 pain

If there’s any other machine you want to know about, just ask and I’ll give you the numbers.

Please tell me what I should change, what to keep, and anything else you think would help.

What are you actually aiming for?

Is the aim fat loss? Getting stronger? Putting on size? Looking better? What exactly are you after
LOL FR.

My plan is to drop fat while keeping or building muscle mass.
Wow man, it seems like you ought to use HGH or ipa/tesa so that mass gain / fat cut gets sped up significantly
 
Crowreap said:

wildweasel said:

some guy is asking how to improve his training plan and all anyone says is to add more peptides, seriously?

Wacky said:

I’ve been hitting the gym 6 days a week without missing a session for 3 months straight. My strength has gone up a lot (I’ll list my numbers below). As for my current split, honestly I don’t know what it’s called — all I know is that the back half of my week follows Arnold’s routine. I’ll attach a picture showing my split and which exercises I use for each muscle group. If you spot anything I should improve, please let me know. I’m still a beginner at the gym, but I’ve managed to get a handle on most of the basics. I really NEED advice for my wrist pain, oh my lord — it holds me back so much and I have no idea how to sort it out. Anyway, here are the benchmarks: (every machine is a Matrix machine)

Preacher Curl Machine: 73kg

Cable Tricep Pushdown: 37.5kg

Lat Pulldown: 93 (planning to go to 103 next week)

Incline Chest (Smith): 30kg per side, 71KG TOTAL ---------> My left wrist limits me a LOT, so now I can only manage around 25kg at about 4-5/10 pain.

Pec Fly: 120KG

Shoulder Press Machine: 40kg per side ------> Again, my left wrist drags it down to 30 kilos with 6/10 pain

If there’s any other machine you want to know about, just ask and I’ll give you the numbers.

Please tell me what I should change, what to keep, and anything else you think would help.

What are you actually aiming for?

Is the aim fat loss? Getting stronger? Putting on size? Looking better? What exactly are you after
lol ikr!

Wacky said:

I’ve been hitting the gym 6 days a week without missing a session for 3 months straight. My strength has gone up a lot (I’ll list my numbers below). As for my current split, honestly I don’t know what it’s called — all I know is that the back half of my week follows Arnold’s routine. I’ll attach a picture showing my split and which exercises I use for each muscle group. If you spot anything I should improve, please let me know. I’m still a beginner at the gym, but I’ve managed to get a handle on most of the basics. I really NEED advice for my wrist pain, oh my lord — it holds me back so much and I have no idea how to sort it out. Anyway, here are the benchmarks: (every machine is a Matrix machine)

Preacher Curl Machine: 73kg

Cable Tricep Pushdown: 37.5kg

Lat Pulldown: 93 (planning to go to 103 next week)

Incline Chest (Smith): 30kg per side, 71KG TOTAL ---------> My left wrist limits me a LOT, so now I can only manage around 25kg at about 4-5/10 pain.

Pec Fly: 120KG

Shoulder Press Machine: 40kg per side ------> Again, my left wrist drags it down to 30 kilos with 6/10 pain

If there’s any other machine you want to know about, just ask and I’ll give you the numbers.

Please tell me what I should change, what to keep, and anything else you think would help.
Roughly 3 years back I got into lifting, and pretty quickly my wrists started holding me back too. What worked for me was dropping the load and doing each rep a bit more slowly, with cleaner technique and more control. That appeared to clear it up. The same pattern hit my left shoulder or left clavicle, particularly on bench. The cause was simply ego lifting. Once you ditch the ego, reduce the weight, make a big improvement to your form, and push the reps up into the 10 to 15 range, staying there and going to failure, then no joints ache. I've kept at this for a while now. The hypertrophy I'm getting is insane. So it's great that your strength has increased significantly, but maybe stop chasing heavy numbers and instead prioritize form and how good each single rep is. After I made that switch, every bit of my joint pain gradually vanished. I train daily for two hours (ppl split) and have zero joint pain. So my question to you is whats your rep range looking like? are you ego lifting?
I wouldn't call it ego lifting—more like my grip is off. Everyone keeps telling me the wrist ought to stay aligned with the arm, and I can manage that for a few reps, but then I revert to the bent-back wrist position. I keep attempting to fix my form, yet I just can't lol. The pain showed up after I began using 35+ kilos on incline/flat benchpress. I'm aware not to ego lift because I tested ALL of my 1rm on every machine back when I started and ran the 60-80% calculation (I stayed at 65% initially), and my method is to target 8 clean reps; once I hit 9-10 clean reps without my form shifting too much, I add 2.5kg and build my reps back up, cycling like that. Lately, though, I've been stretching my wrists and doing wrist curls before chest + shoulder exercises.

rettta said:

Let your wrist recover, forget about perfecting every detail, and pick exercises that don't cause pain—it doesn't matter if your routine isn't "perfect". What counts most is a workout you're able and willing to stick with. You won't make progress if your wrist takes you out of the game.
yeah I kinda agree, but I don't want my shoulders to fall behind lol, my shoulders are pretty weak compared to the rest of my body.

Crowreap said:

Smiter said:

Every one of those workout numbers holds up, sure — yet if the wrist is hurting or injured, none of it counts for much. I've dealt with wrist problems myself, one of them serious. After 7 years of treatments that went nowhere, the sidewinder finally sorted it out. Much like the ankle, the wrist is a fragile joint, but you can't do any upper-body work without it. Once I got it treated, it turned into the body part I most enjoy training.
The reason I brought up all those workout metrics is that I figured his wrist pain showed up once he started training on a regular basis. So right now, I can't tell whether the wrist pain was something chronic—present even before he began training consistently—or whether it emerged afterward. If it came afterward, then the workout metrics are definitely useful. If it's been a long-standing problem, I honestly don't know what the move is 🤷‍♂️

in that case, your point about it possibly being a medical issue, like arthritis, and needing some peps to address it might be on the money
The wrist pain only began a month ago when I started getting stronger on certain exercises, and I think it works like this: the muscle group I'm trying to bias is strong enough for the weight, but the supporting muscles/joints aren't, so maybe I need to focus more on forearm + wrist exercises so my wrists stop lagging behind.
 
Smiter said:

Oh, one more thing I left out. As I was grabbing my gym bag, I suddenly recalled a gadget I keep around. Your wrists hurt and mine don't, but even if my reason for using it is different, it should still help you. Try to find an equivalent item where you are in the UK.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0FDG1DQ1N
for sure, i have wrist straps and hooks so there's less strain while i work on my wrist through a different exercise.

bbbilly said:

The routine is fine. It might be somewhat convoluted and/or repetitive in a few ways. But if your wrist is in agony, deal with that before anything else. When you can't grip the weight correctly, the effort you're investing won't yield much. Or, even worse, you could create imbalances that you'll later need to spend time correcting. Pick up some equipment to assist, such as wrist wraps, which add compression and stability to the joint. For certain movements, wrist straps with a D ring remove the grip element entirely and boost your grip so less force is needed to hold the weight. That improves back movements regardless, since your grip strength won't fail before your back does.

You're already running a modified PPLUL split, which is excellent. The lower sessions look like they'd take ages, and you're missing any direct hamstring work while also duplicating a pressing movement (leg press and squat). I'd replace one with a leg curl or hyperextension. Or even better, rotate which pressing move you do each session.

IMHO you've chosen one of the "best" splits that many people adore, but personally I'd consider switching a few small details to finish your work quicker. For example, do my calf raises on the leg press machine right after each set, so both exercises happen simultaneously. Drop the hanging leg raises, since they're very often performed incorrectly and are mostly a hip flexor movement for most people, and concentrate on cable ab crunches for the bulk of ab work. Replace the wide and narrow rows with just a solid neutral grip. I've found walking dumbbell lunges hit my adductor/abductors and glutes enough that I don't need those specific machines for them, letting me get much more done faster. Plus it's a good athletic movement for balance and a bit of cardio.

Just small things you COULD do to help you focus more and spend less time in the gym, if you wanted. It all comes down to what works for you.. but stop the damn wrist curls until your wrist is sorted lol
honestly when i put that list together i had no clue what the leg movements were called, so i had claude improvise from what i described 😭😭. hyperextensions are in there, i dropped 2 or 3 movements that were only padding it out for no good reason, and i switched to compound lifts. someone told me this split goes by the name batman split or something? my main priority is sorting out my wrist because i don't want it holding back my progress — 3 months of consistent gym attendance has already given me solid results ( which i don't think comes from ego lifting ), so i'd rather deal with it now than wait 6-12 months when my wrist is barely usable.
 
birdwhacker said:

Wacky said:

Smiter said:

Correct your wrist. What's going on? Wolverine or GLOW might be useful.
Basically, whenever I do shoulder press or bench press, keeping my wrist and forearm aligned is a struggle — my wrist ends up rotating about 90 degrees, and during my working set that brings pain.

birdwhacker said:

For your wrist, take BPC at 0.5mg 2 to 3 times daily, along with cartalax 1mg and KPV 1mg each day. Once you're familiar with how BPC affects you, introduce tb4/tb500 at 3-5mg weekly.

View: https://youtu.be/GmMfW2kCkeE
Appreciate the video, but I'm not looking to add extra peps at this point. Right now reta is the only pep I'm on, since it's the only one I've researched thoroughly. Once I dig deeper into other peps, I'll start using them.

wildweasel said:

some guy is asking how to improve his training plan and all anyone says is to add more peptides, seriously?

Wacky said:

I’ve been hitting the gym 6 days a week without missing a session for 3 months straight. My strength has gone up a lot (I’ll list my numbers below). As for my current split, honestly I don’t know what it’s called — all I know is that the back half of my week follows Arnold’s routine. I’ll attach a picture showing my split and which exercises I use for each muscle group. If you spot anything I should improve, please let me know. I’m still a beginner at the gym, but I’ve managed to get a handle on most of the basics. I really NEED advice for my wrist pain, oh my lord — it holds me back so much and I have no idea how to sort it out. Anyway, here are the benchmarks: (every machine is a Matrix machine)

Preacher Curl Machine: 73kg

Cable Tricep Pushdown: 37.5kg

Lat Pulldown: 93 (planning to go to 103 next week)

Incline Chest (Smith): 30kg per side, 71KG TOTAL ---------> My left wrist limits me a LOT, so now I can only manage around 25kg at about 4-5/10 pain.

Pec Fly: 120KG

Shoulder Press Machine: 40kg per side ------> Again, my left wrist drags it down to 30 kilos with 6/10 pain

If there’s any other machine you want to know about, just ask and I’ll give you the numbers.

Please tell me what I should change, what to keep, and anything else you think would help.

What are you actually aiming for?

Is the aim fat loss? Getting stronger? Putting on size? Looking better? What exactly are you after
LOL FR.

My plan is to drop fat while keeping or building muscle mass.
No problem at all.

Wacky said:

Smiter said:

Correct your wrist. What's going on? Wolverine or GLOW might be useful.
Basically, whenever I do shoulder press or bench press, keeping my wrist and forearm aligned is a struggle — my wrist ends up rotating about 90 degrees, and during my working set that brings pain.

birdwhacker said:

For your wrist, take BPC at 0.5mg 2 to 3 times daily, along with cartalax 1mg and KPV 1mg each day. Once you're familiar with how BPC affects you, introduce tb4/tb500 at 3-5mg weekly.

View: https://youtu.be/GmMfW2kCkeE
Appreciate the video, but I'm not looking to add extra peps at this point. Right now reta is the only pep I'm on, since it's the only one I've researched thoroughly. Once I dig deeper into other peps, I'll start using them.

wildweasel said:

some guy is asking how to improve his training plan and all anyone says is to add more peptides, seriously?

Wacky said:

I’ve been hitting the gym 6 days a week without missing a session for 3 months straight. My strength has gone up a lot (I’ll list my numbers below). As for my current split, honestly I don’t know what it’s called — all I know is that the back half of my week follows Arnold’s routine. I’ll attach a picture showing my split and which exercises I use for each muscle group. If you spot anything I should improve, please let me know. I’m still a beginner at the gym, but I’ve managed to get a handle on most of the basics. I really NEED advice for my wrist pain, oh my lord — it holds me back so much and I have no idea how to sort it out. Anyway, here are the benchmarks: (every machine is a Matrix machine)

Preacher Curl Machine: 73kg

Cable Tricep Pushdown: 37.5kg

Lat Pulldown: 93 (planning to go to 103 next week)

Incline Chest (Smith): 30kg per side, 71KG TOTAL ---------> My left wrist limits me a LOT, so now I can only manage around 25kg at about 4-5/10 pain.

Pec Fly: 120KG

Shoulder Press Machine: 40kg per side ------> Again, my left wrist drags it down to 30 kilos with 6/10 pain

If there’s any other machine you want to know about, just ask and I’ll give you the numbers.

Please tell me what I should change, what to keep, and anything else you think would help.

What are you actually aiming for?

Is the aim fat loss? Getting stronger? Putting on size? Looking better? What exactly are you after
LOL FR.

My plan is to drop fat while keeping or building muscle mass.
Wow man, it seems like you ought to use HGH or ipa/tesa so that mass gain / fat cut gets sped up significantly
right now I'm running reta, and I haven't done any real digging into ipa/tesa or HGH so far. That said, HGH did catch my attention because my goal is to go from 6'3 up to 6'5-6'6. The catch is I'd absolutely need an AI, something like skeldev or erdafitnib, but those come with eyesight risks so idk 😭😭😭 honestly though I don't figure I'm at that point yet. My thinking is that if I sort out my mild pelvic anterior tilt and drop some fat, which should let my spine decompress, I might get to 6'5 on my own. Any chance you could break down tesa/ipa as thoroughly as you can so I can wrap my head around it (things like dosing and how to stack it alongside reta)? I'll look into it more myself afterward.
 
Back
Top