Has anyone used tirzepatide beyond 15mg?

6friedeggs

Explorer
Joined
Mar 28, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Uk
Has anyone used tirzepatide beyond 15mg?

At the moment I take 15mg and I'm considering increasing the dose, or perhaps even stacking cagrilintide to help with appetite suppresion
 
I've come across posts from folks discussing ongoing trials, and a fair number of members say they're taking 25-30mg or more.

As for me, I've stayed at 15mg for a good while now, but since I've hit my goal, I won't be increasing.

Here's additional information about the trials currently underway:

For tirzepatide (Mounjaro and Zepbound), the maintenance doses that the FDA has approved top out at 15 mg per week. Trials are currently running that look directly at the 25 mg dose as a higher-tier choice (together with a 20 mg dose), assessing how well it works and how safe it is for those who respond more slowly. [1, 2, 3]

Important Points About the 25 mg Tirzepatide Trial

  • Clinical Trial ID: NCT06037252
  • Sponsor: Eli Lilly and Company
  • Target Audience: Adults living with both obesity and Type 2 diabetes.
  • Study Goal: This trial is set up specifically to examine the safety, tolerability, and efficacy of investigational higher doses (20 mg and 25 mg). It seeks to find out whether moving up to these amounts delivers better glycemic control and faster weight loss for patients who get only limited results from the 15 mg maximum. [1, 2, 3, 4]
 
Indeed, I came across such a case described in a Calgary emergency department report.

U.S. health officials recently announced 18,000 overdose cases, with many of those affected having administered several injections or the full pen contents.

Should Tirz prove ineffective at 15 mg, consider Reta; if that also fails, you fall within the 10-20% of individuals carrying receptor mutations.
 
I’ve done 20 and 22 mg and noticed no change from 15mg, though a few weeks back I accidentally took 30mg and spent 2 days feeling awful. Every time, my weight loss stayed the same as it normally is
 
6friedeggs said:

Has anyone used tirzepatide beyond 15mg?

At the moment I take 15mg and I'm considering increasing the dose, or perhaps even stacking cagrilintide to help with appetite suppresion
Yeah, for more than a month I've been on 20/19.5mg tirz., having moved up from 15mg.

What your goal is, I can't say, but eating just about anything brings on nausea. It became normal for me. I wouldn't tell anyone to do it. This peptide exists so that obese people can handle a caloric deficit. Look at the indications. Gastric emptying is slowed by it. It's a glp and g1p agonist. A lot of people treat it like speed. Higher equals better. No. They're meant to support a caloric deficit program. As one approaches goal, the game becomes more difficult. Out of 16 months, 9-10 months were basically too easy. This is showing up for many. Sorry for the ramble
 
Sasquatch said:

6friedeggs said:

Has anyone used tirzepatide beyond 15mg?

At the moment I take 15mg and I'm considering increasing the dose, or perhaps even stacking cagrilintide to help with appetite suppresion
Yeah, for more than a month I've been on 20/19.5mg tirz., having moved up from 15mg.

What your goal is, I can't say, but eating just about anything brings on nausea. It became normal for me. I wouldn't tell anyone to do it. This peptide exists so that obese people can handle a caloric deficit. Look at the indications. Gastric emptying is slowed by it. It's a glp and g1p agonist. A lot of people treat it like speed. Higher equals better. No. They're meant to support a caloric deficit program. As one approaches goal, the game becomes more difficult. Out of 16 months, 9-10 months were basically too easy. This is showing up for many. Sorry for the ramble
Yeah, 10 months went by smoothly, but all at once it got harder and stopped delivering the same results.
 
For a few months now, I've been taking 10 mg every 5 days and haven't run into any issues. The strongest hunger control I've gotten came from putting in a little Sema a few days following the Tirz. Cagri does the job for that as well. At various points I've stacked all 3 while trying to keep my appetite in check. Each of them helped me reach my goal. Wishing you luck.
 
Summer48 said:

I’ve done 20 and 22 mg and noticed no change from 15mg, though a few weeks back I accidentally took 30mg and spent 2 days feeling awful. Every time, my weight loss stayed the same as it normally is
Were you stalled and saw no additional loss, or did you simply not drop more pounds than you normally would?

Sure, either scenario is possible—but saying “more weight than usual” suggests you were already shedding pounds to begin with.
 
I'm fine with the notion of exceeding 15 if the need arises, though luckily I haven't reached that point. Does anybody have an idea when those studies are expected to come out?
 
JuneBug1956 said:

For a few months now, I've been taking 10 mg every 5 days and haven't run into any issues. The strongest hunger control I've gotten came from putting in a little Sema a few days following the Tirz. Cagri does the job for that as well. At various points I've stacked all 3 while trying to keep my appetite in check. Each of them helped me reach my goal. Wishing you luck.
I'd like to know what amount of sema you included. Could you tell me more about it? Right now I take 15mg of T every week, but it isn't having the same effect as before. I've got some sema on hand, and I'm thinking about putting it into my rotation. Thanks!
 
Skidude said:

I've come across posts from folks discussing ongoing trials, and a fair number of members say they're taking 25-30mg or more.

As for me, I've stayed at 15mg for a good while now, but since I've hit my goal, I won't be increasing.

Here's additional information about the trials currently underway:

For tirzepatide (Mounjaro and Zepbound), the maintenance doses that the FDA has approved top out at 15 mg per week. Trials are currently running that look directly at the 25 mg dose as a higher-tier choice (together with a 20 mg dose), assessing how well it works and how safe it is for those who respond more slowly. [1, 2, 3]

Important Points About the 25 mg Tirzepatide Trial

  • Clinical Trial ID: NCT06037252
  • Sponsor: Eli Lilly and Company
  • Target Audience: Adults living with both obesity and Type 2 diabetes.
  • Study Goal: This trial is set up specifically to examine the safety, tolerability, and efficacy of investigational higher doses (20 mg and 25 mg). It seeks to find out whether moving up to these amounts delivers better glycemic control and faster weight loss for patients who get only limited results from the 15 mg maximum. [1, 2, 3, 4]
I went through every one of those reference links pretty carefully, trying to track down where the doses you listed came from, since I'd looked for that same info before without success. The only thing I could turn up regarding doses was an OTP blog post citing "sources" and stating those were the doses. It could be accurate — studying 20-25mg would make sense — but it isn't a definitive source the way Lilly, a paper, or a trial would be. As for the trial info, it says nothing at all about which doses were used.
 
lessthanhalf said:

Skidude said:

I've come across posts from folks discussing ongoing trials, and a fair number of members say they're taking 25-30mg or more.

As for me, I've stayed at 15mg for a good while now, but since I've hit my goal, I won't be increasing.

Here's additional information about the trials currently underway:

For tirzepatide (Mounjaro and Zepbound), the maintenance doses that the FDA has approved top out at 15 mg per week. Trials are currently running that look directly at the 25 mg dose as a higher-tier choice (together with a 20 mg dose), assessing how well it works and how safe it is for those who respond more slowly. [1, 2, 3]

Important Points About the 25 mg Tirzepatide Trial

  • Clinical Trial ID: NCT06037252
  • Sponsor: Eli Lilly and Company
  • Target Audience: Adults living with both obesity and Type 2 diabetes.
  • Study Goal: This trial is set up specifically to examine the safety, tolerability, and efficacy of investigational higher doses (20 mg and 25 mg). It seeks to find out whether moving up to these amounts delivers better glycemic control and faster weight loss for patients who get only limited results from the 15 mg maximum. [1, 2, 3, 4]
I went through every one of those reference links pretty carefully, trying to track down where the doses you listed came from, since I'd looked for that same info before without success. The only thing I could turn up regarding doses was an OTP blog post citing "sources" and stating those were the doses. It could be accurate — studying 20-25mg would make sense — but it isn't a definitive source the way Lilly, a paper, or a trial would be. As for the trial info, it says nothing at all about which doses were used.

Here's how I found out about the trial:

Phase 2 clinical trials are being run by Eli Lilly to test investigational, higher doses of tirzepatide (the active ingredient in Zepbound and Mounjaro). At present, 15 mg is the highest dosage the FDA has approved, though studies that are underway (ClinicalTrials.gov identifier NCT06037252) are evaluating the safety and efficacy of previously unexplored, higher doses. [1, 2, 3, 4]

What's Behind the Interest in Higher Doses

  • Target Audience: Adults with Type 2 diabetes and obesity who are already taking metformin are the focus of these trials.
  • Enhanced Efficacy: The purpose of these studies is to determine whether higher doses can deliver deeper glycemic control and speed up weight loss in patients who do not respond fully to current dosages.
  • Trial Timeline: The Phase 2 study officially concludes in October. [1, 2, 3]
 
lessthanhalf said:

Skidude said:

I've come across posts from folks discussing ongoing trials, and a fair number of members say they're taking 25-30mg or more.

As for me, I've stayed at 15mg for a good while now, but since I've hit my goal, I won't be increasing.

Here's additional information about the trials currently underway:

For tirzepatide (Mounjaro and Zepbound), the maintenance doses that the FDA has approved top out at 15 mg per week. Trials are currently running that look directly at the 25 mg dose as a higher-tier choice (together with a 20 mg dose), assessing how well it works and how safe it is for those who respond more slowly. [1, 2, 3]

Important Points About the 25 mg Tirzepatide Trial

  • Clinical Trial ID: NCT06037252
  • Sponsor: Eli Lilly and Company
  • Target Audience: Adults living with both obesity and Type 2 diabetes.
  • Study Goal: This trial is set up specifically to examine the safety, tolerability, and efficacy of investigational higher doses (20 mg and 25 mg). It seeks to find out whether moving up to these amounts delivers better glycemic control and faster weight loss for patients who get only limited results from the 15 mg maximum. [1, 2, 3, 4]
I went through every one of those reference links pretty carefully, trying to track down where the doses you listed came from, since I'd looked for that same info before without success. The only thing I could turn up regarding doses was an OTP blog post citing "sources" and stating those were the doses. It could be accurate — studying 20-25mg would make sense — but it isn't a definitive source the way Lilly, a paper, or a trial would be. As for the trial info, it says nothing at all about which doses were used.
Somewhere I came across mention that patent filings exist for 20mg and 25 mg strengths. That's what Gemini told me, though I haven't gone through the citations myself. Hallucinations do happen.

Indeed, Eli Lilly has submitted patent applications that zero in on higher concentrations and doses of tirzepatide (the active ingredient behind Mounjaro and Zepbound).

The main international application covering this is WO2024006662A1 (named "Tirzepatide Compositions and Use"), published early in 2024.

What the filings show about Eli Lilly's preparations for higher-dose versions:

  • Higher Concentration: The currently approved ceiling for tirzepatide sits at 15 mg (given as a 0.5 mL injection, a concentration of 30 mg/mL), yet the application lays explicit claim to stable, pharmaceutically acceptable compositions holding more than 30 mg/mL, up to 60 mg/mL of tirzepatide.
  • Named Dosing Strengths: Concentrations spelled out in the filing include 40 mg/mL, 50 mg/mL, 55 mg/mL, and 60 mg/mL. At the usual 0.5 mL injection volume, 40 mg/mL through 60 mg/mL would mean larger total doses, for example 20 mg, 25 mg, or 30 mg.
  • Stated Purpose: According to the application, a substantial number of patients need "additional weight management benefit" past the approved 15 mg ceiling. Its focus is the chemical stability required to keep these more concentrated peptides shelf-stable for at least 6 months, while also handling the gastrointestinal side effects that come with higher doses.
With these patents in hand, Eli Lilly is building the legal and regulatory foundation to one day roll out stronger Mounjaro and Zepbound versions, should clinical trials demonstrate that higher doses deliver better weight loss or glycemic control without unacceptable safety issues.
 
CJsMom said:

lessthanhalf said:

Skidude said:

I've come across posts from folks discussing ongoing trials, and a fair number of members say they're taking 25-30mg or more.

As for me, I've stayed at 15mg for a good while now, but since I've hit my goal, I won't be increasing.

Here's additional information about the trials currently underway:

For tirzepatide (Mounjaro and Zepbound), the maintenance doses that the FDA has approved top out at 15 mg per week. Trials are currently running that look directly at the 25 mg dose as a higher-tier choice (together with a 20 mg dose), assessing how well it works and how safe it is for those who respond more slowly. [1, 2, 3]

Important Points About the 25 mg Tirzepatide Trial

  • Clinical Trial ID: NCT06037252
  • Sponsor: Eli Lilly and Company
  • Target Audience: Adults living with both obesity and Type 2 diabetes.
  • Study Goal: This trial is set up specifically to examine the safety, tolerability, and efficacy of investigational higher doses (20 mg and 25 mg). It seeks to find out whether moving up to these amounts delivers better glycemic control and faster weight loss for patients who get only limited results from the 15 mg maximum. [1, 2, 3, 4]
I went through every one of those reference links pretty carefully, trying to track down where the doses you listed came from, since I'd looked for that same info before without success. The only thing I could turn up regarding doses was an OTP blog post citing "sources" and stating those were the doses. It could be accurate — studying 20-25mg would make sense — but it isn't a definitive source the way Lilly, a paper, or a trial would be. As for the trial info, it says nothing at all about which doses were used.
Somewhere I came across mention that patent filings exist for 20mg and 25 mg strengths. That's what Gemini told me, though I haven't gone through the citations myself. Hallucinations do happen.

Indeed, Eli Lilly has submitted patent applications that zero in on higher concentrations and doses of tirzepatide (the active ingredient behind Mounjaro and Zepbound).

The main international application covering this is WO2024006662A1 (named "Tirzepatide Compositions and Use"), published early in 2024.

What the filings show about Eli Lilly's preparations for higher-dose versions:

  • Higher Concentration: The currently approved ceiling for tirzepatide sits at 15 mg (given as a 0.5 mL injection, a concentration of 30 mg/mL), yet the application lays explicit claim to stable, pharmaceutically acceptable compositions holding more than 30 mg/mL, up to 60 mg/mL of tirzepatide.
  • Named Dosing Strengths: Concentrations spelled out in the filing include 40 mg/mL, 50 mg/mL, 55 mg/mL, and 60 mg/mL. At the usual 0.5 mL injection volume, 40 mg/mL through 60 mg/mL would mean larger total doses, for example 20 mg, 25 mg, or 30 mg.
  • Stated Purpose: According to the application, a substantial number of patients need "additional weight management benefit" past the approved 15 mg ceiling. Its focus is the chemical stability required to keep these more concentrated peptides shelf-stable for at least 6 months, while also handling the gastrointestinal side effects that come with higher doses.
With these patents in hand, Eli Lilly is building the legal and regulatory foundation to one day roll out stronger Mounjaro and Zepbound versions, should clinical trials demonstrate that higher doses deliver better weight loss or glycemic control without unacceptable safety issues.
60mg here we gooooooooooo
 
CJsMom said:

lessthanhalf said:

Skidude said:

I've come across posts from folks discussing ongoing trials, and a fair number of members say they're taking 25-30mg or more.

As for me, I've stayed at 15mg for a good while now, but since I've hit my goal, I won't be increasing.

Here's additional information about the trials currently underway:

For tirzepatide (Mounjaro and Zepbound), the maintenance doses that the FDA has approved top out at 15 mg per week. Trials are currently running that look directly at the 25 mg dose as a higher-tier choice (together with a 20 mg dose), assessing how well it works and how safe it is for those who respond more slowly. [1, 2, 3]

Important Points About the 25 mg Tirzepatide Trial

  • Clinical Trial ID: NCT06037252
  • Sponsor: Eli Lilly and Company
  • Target Audience: Adults living with both obesity and Type 2 diabetes.
  • Study Goal: This trial is set up specifically to examine the safety, tolerability, and efficacy of investigational higher doses (20 mg and 25 mg). It seeks to find out whether moving up to these amounts delivers better glycemic control and faster weight loss for patients who get only limited results from the 15 mg maximum. [1, 2, 3, 4]
I went through every one of those reference links pretty carefully, trying to track down where the doses you listed came from, since I'd looked for that same info before without success. The only thing I could turn up regarding doses was an OTP blog post citing "sources" and stating those were the doses. It could be accurate — studying 20-25mg would make sense — but it isn't a definitive source the way Lilly, a paper, or a trial would be. As for the trial info, it says nothing at all about which doses were used.
Somewhere I came across mention that patent filings exist for 20mg and 25 mg strengths. That's what Gemini told me, though I haven't gone through the citations myself. Hallucinations do happen.

Indeed, Eli Lilly has submitted patent applications that zero in on higher concentrations and doses of tirzepatide (the active ingredient behind Mounjaro and Zepbound).

The main international application covering this is WO2024006662A1 (named "Tirzepatide Compositions and Use"), published early in 2024.

What the filings show about Eli Lilly's preparations for higher-dose versions:

  • Higher Concentration: The currently approved ceiling for tirzepatide sits at 15 mg (given as a 0.5 mL injection, a concentration of 30 mg/mL), yet the application lays explicit claim to stable, pharmaceutically acceptable compositions holding more than 30 mg/mL, up to 60 mg/mL of tirzepatide.
  • Named Dosing Strengths: Concentrations spelled out in the filing include 40 mg/mL, 50 mg/mL, 55 mg/mL, and 60 mg/mL. At the usual 0.5 mL injection volume, 40 mg/mL through 60 mg/mL would mean larger total doses, for example 20 mg, 25 mg, or 30 mg.
  • Stated Purpose: According to the application, a substantial number of patients need "additional weight management benefit" past the approved 15 mg ceiling. Its focus is the chemical stability required to keep these more concentrated peptides shelf-stable for at least 6 months, while also handling the gastrointestinal side effects that come with higher doses.
With these patents in hand, Eli Lilly is building the legal and regulatory foundation to one day roll out stronger Mounjaro and Zepbound versions, should clinical trials demonstrate that higher doses deliver better weight loss or glycemic control without unacceptable safety issues.
Appreciate the info — I'd been wondering about this myself, though my own digging was nowhere near as deep as yours, and checking patents never crossed my mind. Seeing that they're at least exploring doses as high as 30mg is fairly strong evidence, and it's the nearest thing to solid confirmation I've come across.

Those doses do add up, too. The high dose semaglutide trials caught me off guard with how far they pushed things, whether 7.2mg or 16mg, while the outcomes were roughly what I expected: a modest bit more weight lost, offset by a much larger burden of side effects. Still, even 5% additional weight loss from a higher tirz dose might matter for people carrying a lot of weight or those losing below average, provided the side effects stay tolerable.

What I'd really like to see is a trial testing higher doses in non responders or weak responders — particularly the ones who barely had side effects at full doses — to find out whether it makes a difference, since somewhere around 5-10% respond poorly.
 
Back
Top