Has anyone run oil-based test through a pen?

Shittersfull

Explorer
Joined
Jul 4, 2026
Messages
357
Reaction score
0
Location
Washington
Yes, I did search first; this isn't the same as the other pen threads.

Testosterone is what I'd like to try in a pen. A few people have told me it doesn't work well, which sounds logical. Still, I want to dig deeper and ask around. I've found 29 gauge tips, which is what I use now for testosterone injections. So a heavy duty manual pen is probably my best bet. An auto pen's spring strikes me as insufficient. So my question is: who here has actually tried this themselves? Did it work? And which pen? I'd also like to know which manual pen is the most heavy duty/best built. I intend to try this, since I'm buying a pen for peps anyway. Any advice would be appreciated.
 
Personally I've got nothing to go on, but the word is that lots of people favor the Convi and Gensu2 for oils. My read is that the real concern is whether ordinary cartridge stoppers survive oils, since they can degrade over time. Somewhere out there a company is producing cartridges from an oil friendly compound -- the name escapes me. I believe Goodlife was planning to source them?
 
My own trial was a Grapeseed Oil Testosterone, and after months sitting in a cartridge the plastic plunger showed no change whatsoever. I never did inject it, though.

Carrier oil is what it hinges on, in my view. Take MCT oil -- its viscosity is low, which makes it friendlier in a pen, but that same trait makes it likelier to attack the plastic plunger inside the cartridge.
 
Houston, two issues to report.

1. Carrier oil frequently melts black rubber plungers. True, it normally takes more than a week, but meds sit in those pens longer than a week. Is the pen even compatible with the oil long term?

2. Thin needles can be used, yes, but most carrier oils simply aren't thin enough to cooperate with anything under a 25g needle. Pen needles in larger sizes are hard (impossible) to find.

Short of finding a special setup (a heavy duty pen plus the right unicorn large pen needles), I don't see how this can work.
 
27g insulin syringes plus test 250 is my setup. Normally it slides right in without trouble. Delts can put up a fight sometimes. My guess is that subq would be fine.

Oh, I do warm it first though.
 
Vash said:

27g insulin syringes plus test 250 is my setup. Normally it slides right in without trouble. Delts can put up a fight sometimes. My guess is that subq would be fine.

Oh, I do warm it first though.
29g and 31g in my case. The vials ride in my bra for 5 minutes or so.

For a stretch I ran pens with my grapeseed-based.

Pulling from the vial with a 31 (syringes) and dispensing through a pen both take real patience. Possible, though. Nothing ever melted my rubber stoppers. What strikes me as very slow might be unbearable to somebody else so YMMV.

Here's what starts happening when oil meets a pen and a thinner gauge: each click needs more pressure and more time. Which made it easier for me to knock things around while reaching awkwardly for spots like the upper glute. My HRT is SQ. The jostling (ow) wore me down, so oils went back to syringes.

A 25g I tried once -- not being a health care professional, I harpooned myself. Perhaps a 27 deserves a shot sometime. For pulling in a leuer lock I'll use 25, but not for injecting. Ow.

Water-based in a pen is a no-brainer. I wish I had jumped on it sooner.
 
MCT oil works fine, just much slower, and if your room runs cold try keeping the pen in a pocket to warm up. Pair it with Gansulin, and measure accuracy against syringes several times before you trust it. Myself, I wait 5 Mississippi's once the last click sounds.

On manual pens like the V2, how fast you push the plunger changes the accuracy noticeably. Go very slowly and it lands within a unit or two, time after time; go as fast as the oil allows and you'll come up grossly short.
 
A V2 pen with a 31ga 1/2” needle, subq. You wait 30 seconds while 20 units go in, then hold for 10 seconds before withdrawing. There's a minute of burning, but otherwise it's easy. No cartridge has ever leaked, and I fill 2 at a time, which carries me a few months.
 
AndresX24 said:


UPDATEEEEEEEE 😡

Good afternoon guys:

I have to say I’m a bit disappointed in my doctor; he diagnosed me with secondary hypogonadism and hyporeninemic hypertension. It turns out that, in order to prescribe the testosterone and give me the dosage protocol, the doctor requires an annual fee that I can't afford. My plan was to use the testosterone he prescribed and go in for check-ups every three months with the tests he ordered, but that’s not going to happen now.

So, I am asking for your guidance and wisdom.

What should I do? How much should I inject, what blood tests should I get, and when should I have them done after the injection?

any advice its wellcome.

Click to expand...
The common advice is not to DIY in year one -- use a clinic such as TRT nation, and I'm sure others get suggested around here.

Should you insist on doing it alone, fitomics or goodlabs would be my picks. Begin with a base line test, and the portal will give you tracking.

Labcorp is my preference, though I'm sure quest offers something comparable through their portal.

That way, when you later go on your own, a history exists.

Here are my labs





0009979aa82d1b2fa67969c28cd4e339dae170da735ce72683a5b7c669a6fd10.webp
 
Skidude said:

AndresX24 said:


UPDATEEEEEEEE 😡

Good afternoon guys:

I have to say I’m a bit disappointed in my doctor; he diagnosed me with secondary hypogonadism and hyporeninemic hypertension. It turns out that, in order to prescribe the testosterone and give me the dosage protocol, the doctor requires an annual fee that I can't afford. My plan was to use the testosterone he prescribed and go in for check-ups every three months with the tests he ordered, but that’s not going to happen now.

So, I am asking for your guidance and wisdom.

What should I do? How much should I inject, what blood tests should I get, and when should I have them done after the injection?

any advice its wellcome.

Click to expand...
The common advice is not to DIY in year one -- use a clinic such as TRT nation, and I'm sure others get suggested around here.

Should you insist on doing it alone, fitomics or goodlabs would be my picks. Begin with a base line test, and the portal will give you tracking.

Labcorp is my preference, though I'm sure quest offers something comparable through their portal.

That way, when you later go on your own, a history exists.

Here are my labs





View attachment 208
apologies, my reply landed in the wrong place, im not based in USA 🙁
 
A V1 with a 29g needle is what I had in mind. Right now I draw with a 18 and pin with a 25 3x a week. Mostly I want to cut down the time involved, and not in the morning -- that's when I run or work out, and getting to work is always a race.

Worth adding: I've read threads on here and on meso where guys ran every kind of pen with oils.
 
This is fascinating! Oils and TRT I'd always lumped in with IM shots, and pen needles I assumed were too short for that (though I'll admit I know almost nothing about these.) Reading everyone's experiences and picking up something new is very cool.
 
HouseCat said:

This is fascinating! Oils and TRT I'd always lumped in with IM shots, and pen needles I assumed were too short for that (though I'll admit I know almost nothing about these.) Reading everyone's experiences and picking up something new is very cool.
The instructions on my testosterone cypionate say IM, the reasoning being that muscle carries more blood flow and therefore delivers the test into your system faster (and clears it faster too). Sq absorbs more slowly and slightly less consistently. Injecting often enough evens that out to the point where it makes no measurable difference. Sub q is what I prefer. With peps, self injecting a 31 gauge 5/16" insulin syringe was hard for me at first. A 1.25" 25 gauge IM really freaked me out and I'd rather not do it. Even though it doesn't hurt any more than the 31 gauge sq.
 
Shittersfull said:

HouseCat said:

This is fascinating! Oils and TRT I'd always lumped in with IM shots, and pen needles I assumed were too short for that (though I'll admit I know almost nothing about these.) Reading everyone's experiences and picking up something new is very cool.
The instructions on my testosterone cypionate say IM, the reasoning being that muscle carries more blood flow and therefore delivers the test into your system faster (and clears it faster too). Sq absorbs more slowly and slightly less consistently. Injecting often enough evens that out to the point where it makes no measurable difference. Sub q is what I prefer. With peps, self injecting a 31 gauge 5/16" insulin syringe was hard for me at first. A 1.25" 25 gauge IM really freaked me out and I'd rather not do it. Even though it doesn't hurt any more than the 31 gauge sq.
Delts have been my spot for a year now.. patience is the whole trick when loading the syringe.. decent air pressure in there helps too.

I push in deep, then rotate right to left...

Barely any fat in that spot, so "hybrid"?

Someone posted a few days back that it's a popular method.

Per the web:

Key Takeaways​
  • Shallow IM injection penetrates 0.5-0.75 inches into muscle tissue using 25-27 gauge needles
  • Provides 15-20% better absorption than subcutaneous with less pain than deep IM
  • Deltoid and vastus lateralis are optimal injection sites for this technique
  • Requires proper needle selection and injection angle for safety and effectiveness
  • Most suitable for patients seeking improved absorption without deep muscle discomfort

Click to expand...
 
Skidude said:

Shittersfull said:

HouseCat said:

This is fascinating! Oils and TRT I'd always lumped in with IM shots, and pen needles I assumed were too short for that (though I'll admit I know almost nothing about these.) Reading everyone's experiences and picking up something new is very cool.
The instructions on my testosterone cypionate say IM, the reasoning being that muscle carries more blood flow and therefore delivers the test into your system faster (and clears it faster too). Sq absorbs more slowly and slightly less consistently. Injecting often enough evens that out to the point where it makes no measurable difference. Sub q is what I prefer. With peps, self injecting a 31 gauge 5/16" insulin syringe was hard for me at first. A 1.25" 25 gauge IM really freaked me out and I'd rather not do it. Even though it doesn't hurt any more than the 31 gauge sq.
Delts have been my spot for a year now.. patience is the whole trick when loading the syringe.. decent air pressure in there helps too.

I push in deep, then rotate right to left...

Barely any fat in that spot, so "hybrid"?

Someone posted a few days back that it's a popular method.

Per the web:

Key Takeaways​
  • Shallow IM injection penetrates 0.5-0.75 inches into muscle tissue using 25-27 gauge needles
  • Provides 15-20% better absorption than subcutaneous with less pain than deep IM
  • Deltoid and vastus lateralis are optimal injection sites for this technique
  • Requires proper needle selection and injection angle for safety and effectiveness
  • Most suitable for patients seeking improved absorption without deep muscle discomfort

Click to expand...
That's my approach with NAD+ too, using 8mm needles! LOL and here I thought I was being innovative!
 
Shittersfull said:

HouseCat said:

This is fascinating! Oils and TRT I'd always lumped in with IM shots, and pen needles I assumed were too short for that (though I'll admit I know almost nothing about these.) Reading everyone's experiences and picking up something new is very cool.
The instructions on my testosterone cypionate say IM, the reasoning being that muscle carries more blood flow and therefore delivers the test into your system faster (and clears it faster too). Sq absorbs more slowly and slightly less consistently. Injecting often enough evens that out to the point where it makes no measurable difference. Sub q is what I prefer. With peps, self injecting a 31 gauge 5/16" insulin syringe was hard for me at first. A 1.25" 25 gauge IM really freaked me out and I'd rather not do it. Even though it doesn't hurt any more than the 31 gauge sq.

Bingo. Frequency of injection, depth (IM vs SQ vs uh ”hybrid” lol) and which hormone you're using all have to compliment each other inside the treatment plan. Twice a week is mine. Some females, I've heard, visit a clinic monthly for test -- slower acting, maybe in a slower location? 🤷‍♀️ Not my concern I guess. Steady levels suit me.

Which ties into that very good idea of working through a clinic for the first year or three. Recipes online can be followed, but a clinic dials things in nicely. This isn't as formulaic as peptides.
 
The proof is in the pudding. Tonight every one of our peps went into pens, except Tirz since it's only once a week. 29G 1/2" pen tips are on the way but hadn't arrived and I was impatient. A Savvio will pin 40 units of test cypionate in cottonseed oil through a 32G 1/4" tip. It took a little time but gave no trouble, and it still beats swapping luer locks while sending considerably less into the sharps bin.
 
Alright. For a while now I've been doing daily subcutaneous test c shots using a pen paired with 29 gauge tips. Zero issues so far. It's simple. A pep shot goes quicker, sure, but this is still pretty quick.
 
Shittersfull said:

Alright. For a while now I've been doing daily subcutaneous test c shots using a pen paired with 29 gauge tips. Zero issues so far. It's simple. A pep shot goes quicker, sure, but this is still pretty quick.
What pen are you using, and what carrier oil? That way we can gather more info about what works and what doesn't.
 
Back
Top