tendency
Explorer
Hi - I'm wondering whether anyone in this community has tried taking an SSRI, for instance lexapro, for 4-6 months each year and then stopping for the remainder?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
What possible reason is there to cycle an SSRI? I'm speaking as a person who is right now tapering down from the highest dose of one, and I can tell you it is not a good time. You end up with what people call 'brain zaps' — it's like a strange electrical jolt hitting your head out of nowhere. Like lessthanhalf said, either SSRIs are something you need or they aren't. In my view, playing around with them by cycling is a pretty stupid idea.tendency said:
Hi - I'm wondering whether anyone in this community has tried taking an SSRI, for instance lexapro, for 4-6 months each year and then stopping for the remainder?
It isn't that. While constructing a deck, a guy who took pleasure in physical work and loved laboring like a horse fell from it. His ankle suffered a compound fracture.lessthanhalf said:
Antidepressants leave a lot to be desired as medications, and frequently they fail to help, yet in most cases nothing better is on offer. Talking treatments, CBT in particular, deliver comparable results, except many individuals lack the means to obtain them.
Across more than 40 years I have gone through numerous serious depressive episodes and at one time or another have used almost every antidepressant in existence. They are far from ideal, still they frequently do help and at times they save lives.
The healthcare apparatus definitely contains problems, but portraying it as malevolent bears little resemblance to how it actually functions. On this forum, roughly every 2nd or 3rd member has probably had their life preserved at some stage thanks to contemporary medical treatment. Receiving antibiotics for pneumonia rather than succumbing to it is in no sense malevolent.
What happened to your friend is something I regret, however attributing the whole of it to a single first antidepressant script seems to leave out the greater part of what really occurred.
Yeah, this is about SAD. For me, SSRIs are a great fit — barely any side effects and they help a lot. Usually they kick in fast too, often within 2-3 days. I've moved back to a region of the US where my SAD is clinically severe, so I've been thinking about starting lexapro again.lessthanhalf said:
why? Either the mood holds steady while on treatment and then worsens once you stop, in which case you're better off continuing it ? or it holds steady when treatment ends, in which case you don't need to cycle it or start over ? Or is this seasonal affective disorder that doesn't answer to bright light therapy?
Hmm, I appreciate the idea — bupropion is something I'll consider. My history has generally been that serotonin-boosting medications work better for my SAD, so wellbutrin gives me some hesitation. Still, it's worth mulling over..retarequired said:
I realize this is unlikely, but has bupropion been something you've tried? It's more amenable to cycling and it also has approval for treating SAD.
Yeah, I've done it, and honestly it isn't the kind of thing you cycle. With these, you're either taking them or you're not. I stopped that and switched to breath work, which has helped me a lot.tendency said:
Hi - I'm wondering whether anyone in this community has tried taking an SSRI, for instance lexapro, for 4-6 months each year and then stopping for the remainder?
GTS97 said:
Wtf? No. SSRI/SNRIs don't function that way. For many of them — possibly every one — you won't see any effect until you've taken them steadily for 4-8 weeks.
These aren't PRN drugs, they aren't "take it when you feel like you need it" drugs, and they aren't "take it occasionally for fun" drugs.
What an annoying post.
My advice: stay with prozac unless you have confirmed that Prozac is ineffective for you. Its half life is long, and tolerance is generally good. Cycling it should be feasible.tendency said:
Hi - I'm wondering whether anyone in this community has tried taking an SSRI, for instance lexapro, for 4-6 months each year and then stopping for the remainder?
Plenty of takes here—some solid, some poor, and a few that could put you at risk. Honestly, this question belongs in a different setting. The right move is to bring it up with a psychologist or a psychiatric NP. Many primary care physicians wander far beyond their training when it comes to psychiatric medication, and although I wouldn't call it catastrophic when they hand out a low-dose antidepressant every now and then, they're frequently practicing well outside what they're qualified to do. So if it's questionable for most physicians, an online message board is hardly the ideal source of guidance (though it can be useful for figuring out which questions you ought to ask).tendency said:
Yeah, this is about SAD. For me, SSRIs are a great fit — barely any side effects and they help a lot. Usually they kick in fast too, often within 2-3 days. I've moved back to a region of the US where my SAD is clinically severe, so I've been thinking about starting lexapro again.lessthanhalf said:
why? Either the mood holds steady while on treatment and then worsens once you stop, in which case you're better off continuing it ? or it holds steady when treatment ends, in which case you don't need to cycle it or start over ? Or is this seasonal affective disorder that doesn't answer to bright light therapy?
I realize these meds often get criticized, but for a certain % of people they're extremely effective and can be life savers. My worry is what long term use might do.
Also, light therapy barely touches my symptoms.
Yeah, that's fair. Actually, the suggestion came from my therapist, who mentioned a handful of their other patients are doing something along those lines .. still, I tend to be skeptical and like to hear what others think - appreciate it!lessthanhalf said:
It looks like most people replying missed the section where the original poster gives his reason: it is for seasonal affective disorder, and it helps him. I cannot see any problem with discontinuing it during the months when it is not required.