Has Anyone Achieved Obstructive Sleep Apnea Remission Through Weight Loss???

Ragnar

Explorer
Joined
Oct 1, 2025
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Location
Ohio
The reason I opened this thread is simple: my biggest hope is that one night I won't snore like Darth Vader anymore. I'd also love to stop hauling that damn machine onto planes and fighting with flight attendants about it not counting toward my carry-on. Being able to camp in a tent or fall asleep outside under the stars would be great too, though that still feels like a far-off dream. Those wishes are what originally pushed me to start my Tirz weight-loss journey.

During my most recent sleep study, I was at my highest weight ever: 290lbs, BMI 39.3. That test showed an AHI of 55.5/hr, and my 90% pressure—the level needed to hold the airway open—was 17.2 cmH20. Back in September, when I began my glp1 journey, I was 260 lbs, and my CPAP pressure for keeping the airway open was roughly 12 cmH2O.

According to research, losing 10-15% of body weight may put about 40% of people into remission. The Surmount OSA trial found that close to 42-50% of participants taking Tirz reached the threshold for either remission or mild OSA. Across those studies, the typical weight reduction averaged 18-20% across 52 weeks.

Right now I weigh 222 lbs, and CPAP pressure is about 6.5 cmH2O. I don't know my AHI number, but with treatment it stays near 1.3. The only thing I'm sure of is that if the machine stays off, the next day still leaves me feeling like shit. I realize I should probably be relieved that my OSA is likely now “mild,” yet I had hoped to be in remission by this point. Going through this makes me believe I need to lose an additional 30 lbs of fat before I can get a peaceful night of sleep without the machine.

How have others fared when trying to reach OSA remission through weight loss? Is there anyone else who has managed to sleep without that giant elephant trunk strapped to their face??
 
Ragnar said:

The reason I opened this thread is simple: my biggest hope is that one night I won't snore like Darth Vader anymore. I'd also love to stop hauling that damn machine onto planes and fighting with flight attendants about it not counting toward my carry-on. Being able to camp in a tent or fall asleep outside under the stars would be great too, though that still feels like a far-off dream. Those wishes are what originally pushed me to start my Tirz weight-loss journey.

During my most recent sleep study, I was at my highest weight ever: 290lbs, BMI 39.3. That test showed an AHI of 55.5/hr, and my 90% pressure—the level needed to hold the airway open—was 17.2 cmH20. Back in September, when I began my glp1 journey, I was 260 lbs, and my CPAP pressure for keeping the airway open was roughly 12 cmH2O.

According to research, losing 10-15% of body weight may put about 40% of people into remission. The Surmount OSA trial found that close to 42-50% of participants taking Tirz reached the threshold for either remission or mild OSA. Across those studies, the typical weight reduction averaged 18-20% across 52 weeks.

Right now I weigh 222 lbs, and CPAP pressure is about 6.5 cmH2O. I don't know my AHI number, but with treatment it stays near 1.3. The only thing I'm sure of is that if the machine stays off, the next day still leaves me feeling like shit. I realize I should probably be relieved that my OSA is likely now “mild,” yet I had hoped to be in remission by this point. Going through this makes me believe I need to lose an additional 30 lbs of fat before I can get a peaceful night of sleep without the machine.

How have others fared when trying to reach OSA remission through weight loss? Is there anyone else who has managed to sleep without that giant elephant trunk strapped to their face??
Like you, I deal with sleep apnea and depend on a CPAP.

What you’ve accomplished so far stands out. A treated AHI reading of 1.3 doesn’t show what your untreated AHI would be today. OSA doesn’t come only from weight. The anatomy of your airway, where your tongue sits, and the structure of your jaw also count. For some, there’s a plateau at which losing more weight barely changes anything. Others can stop using CPAP therapy after weight loss. Should apnea remain, options exist, including MADs (dental device), when it is mild. In addition, losing weight can make you eligible for the inspire implant.

I’m wondering whether anyone in this group has had a repeat sleep study following weight loss, and what their AHI was?

As an aside, this mask is easily my favorite.

d0b826bb34f8d04b95f123565f5861ec384f7744887e2841cda87e10d80f940e.webp
 
Fordhayes said:

Ragnar said:

The reason I opened this thread is simple: my biggest hope is that one night I won't snore like Darth Vader anymore. I'd also love to stop hauling that damn machine onto planes and fighting with flight attendants about it not counting toward my carry-on. Being able to camp in a tent or fall asleep outside under the stars would be great too, though that still feels like a far-off dream. Those wishes are what originally pushed me to start my Tirz weight-loss journey.

During my most recent sleep study, I was at my highest weight ever: 290lbs, BMI 39.3. That test showed an AHI of 55.5/hr, and my 90% pressure—the level needed to hold the airway open—was 17.2 cmH20. Back in September, when I began my glp1 journey, I was 260 lbs, and my CPAP pressure for keeping the airway open was roughly 12 cmH2O.

According to research, losing 10-15% of body weight may put about 40% of people into remission. The Surmount OSA trial found that close to 42-50% of participants taking Tirz reached the threshold for either remission or mild OSA. Across those studies, the typical weight reduction averaged 18-20% across 52 weeks.

Right now I weigh 222 lbs, and CPAP pressure is about 6.5 cmH2O. I don't know my AHI number, but with treatment it stays near 1.3. The only thing I'm sure of is that if the machine stays off, the next day still leaves me feeling like shit. I realize I should probably be relieved that my OSA is likely now “mild,” yet I had hoped to be in remission by this point. Going through this makes me believe I need to lose an additional 30 lbs of fat before I can get a peaceful night of sleep without the machine.

How have others fared when trying to reach OSA remission through weight loss? Is there anyone else who has managed to sleep without that giant elephant trunk strapped to their face??
Like you, I deal with sleep apnea and depend on a CPAP.

What you’ve accomplished so far stands out. A treated AHI reading of 1.3 doesn’t show what your untreated AHI would be today. OSA doesn’t come only from weight. The anatomy of your airway, where your tongue sits, and the structure of your jaw also count. For some, there’s a plateau at which losing more weight barely changes anything. Others can stop using CPAP therapy after weight loss. Should apnea remain, options exist, including MADs (dental device), when it is mild. In addition, losing weight can make you eligible for the inspire implant.

I’m wondering whether anyone in this group has had a repeat sleep study following weight loss, and what their AHI was?

As an aside, this mask is easily my favorite.

View attachment 148
I’m with you that body weight isn’t the only factor at play. Back when OSA was first identified in me, I was 26 years old and overweight. I figured it out on my own and pushed the doctors into ordering a sleep study. At first they didn’t believe me, telling me I wasn’t heavy enough nor old enough for OSA. The specific figures escape me, but I do recall that my OSA was severe enough that I ended up seeing an ENT. The findings showed a significantly deviated septum plus an unusually large Uvula. I had a modified uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (uppp) along with septum correction, and that lowered my OSA AHI values substantially. Sadly, I didn’t keep my weight in check, and over time I put on a lot, which worsened my OSA again.

Right now, my estimated body fat is about 26% according to BIA. I’ve never been truly lean, but I hope my OSA can go into remission if I drop another 30 lbs, which should put me near 15% body fat. I’ve thought about a dental device before and may look into it again. Going under the knife again for sleep apnea doesn’t appeal to me at all; I’d treat that as an absolute last resort.

At present I use the Resmed AirFit N20 Nasal.
 
Ragnar said:

Fordhayes said:

Ragnar said:

The reason I opened this thread is simple: my biggest hope is that one night I won't snore like Darth Vader anymore. I'd also love to stop hauling that damn machine onto planes and fighting with flight attendants about it not counting toward my carry-on. Being able to camp in a tent or fall asleep outside under the stars would be great too, though that still feels like a far-off dream. Those wishes are what originally pushed me to start my Tirz weight-loss journey.

During my most recent sleep study, I was at my highest weight ever: 290lbs, BMI 39.3. That test showed an AHI of 55.5/hr, and my 90% pressure—the level needed to hold the airway open—was 17.2 cmH20. Back in September, when I began my glp1 journey, I was 260 lbs, and my CPAP pressure for keeping the airway open was roughly 12 cmH2O.

According to research, losing 10-15% of body weight may put about 40% of people into remission. The Surmount OSA trial found that close to 42-50% of participants taking Tirz reached the threshold for either remission or mild OSA. Across those studies, the typical weight reduction averaged 18-20% across 52 weeks.

Right now I weigh 222 lbs, and CPAP pressure is about 6.5 cmH2O. I don't know my AHI number, but with treatment it stays near 1.3. The only thing I'm sure of is that if the machine stays off, the next day still leaves me feeling like shit. I realize I should probably be relieved that my OSA is likely now “mild,” yet I had hoped to be in remission by this point. Going through this makes me believe I need to lose an additional 30 lbs of fat before I can get a peaceful night of sleep without the machine.

How have others fared when trying to reach OSA remission through weight loss? Is there anyone else who has managed to sleep without that giant elephant trunk strapped to their face??
Like you, I deal with sleep apnea and depend on a CPAP.

What you’ve accomplished so far stands out. A treated AHI reading of 1.3 doesn’t show what your untreated AHI would be today. OSA doesn’t come only from weight. The anatomy of your airway, where your tongue sits, and the structure of your jaw also count. For some, there’s a plateau at which losing more weight barely changes anything. Others can stop using CPAP therapy after weight loss. Should apnea remain, options exist, including MADs (dental device), when it is mild. In addition, losing weight can make you eligible for the inspire implant.

I’m wondering whether anyone in this group has had a repeat sleep study following weight loss, and what their AHI was?

As an aside, this mask is easily my favorite.

View attachment 148
I’m with you that body weight isn’t the only factor at play. Back when OSA was first identified in me, I was 26 years old and overweight. I figured it out on my own and pushed the doctors into ordering a sleep study. At first they didn’t believe me, telling me I wasn’t heavy enough nor old enough for OSA. The specific figures escape me, but I do recall that my OSA was severe enough that I ended up seeing an ENT. The findings showed a significantly deviated septum plus an unusually large Uvula. I had a modified uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (uppp) along with septum correction, and that lowered my OSA AHI values substantially. Sadly, I didn’t keep my weight in check, and over time I put on a lot, which worsened my OSA again.

Right now, my estimated body fat is about 26% according to BIA. I’ve never been truly lean, but I hope my OSA can go into remission if I drop another 30 lbs, which should put me near 15% body fat. I’ve thought about a dental device before and may look into it again. Going under the knife again for sleep apnea doesn’t appeal to me at all; I’d treat that as an absolute last resort.

At present I use the Resmed AirFit N20 Nasal.
With your history of UPPP plus septoplasty, it tracks that losing weight would bring your pressure down that much.

My nose is a mess, though there's no deviated septum. I went to an ENT and got either X-rays or a CT—I can't recall which. The finding was inflammation alone, and my allergies are severe. Flonase, nasal rinses, and a breathe right strip are what make nasal masks workable for me. The first mask they gave me was a full face mask, and I couldn't stand it.

Body fat going from 26% down to 15% is a meaningful shift for airway patency. Once you settle at a new plateau, a repeat sleep study would be worthwhile. I've considered getting another one too, since over the last year myAir has shown me averaging just 0.41 AHI a night, and 0.32 across the past 90 days. My weight hasn't changed during that year: 220-230 at 15-18% bf.

I've never used the mask you have or anything like it. The airfit p10, with the pillows that insert into the nose, didn't appeal to me; it's a common choice, but not my thing. With the mask I wear, it's wild how well it creates a perfect, comfortable seal.
 
Fordhayes said:

Ragnar said:

The reason I opened this thread is simple: my biggest hope is that one night I won't snore like Darth Vader anymore. I'd also love to stop hauling that damn machine onto planes and fighting with flight attendants about it not counting toward my carry-on. Being able to camp in a tent or fall asleep outside under the stars would be great too, though that still feels like a far-off dream. Those wishes are what originally pushed me to start my Tirz weight-loss journey.

During my most recent sleep study, I was at my highest weight ever: 290lbs, BMI 39.3. That test showed an AHI of 55.5/hr, and my 90% pressure—the level needed to hold the airway open—was 17.2 cmH20. Back in September, when I began my glp1 journey, I was 260 lbs, and my CPAP pressure for keeping the airway open was roughly 12 cmH2O.

According to research, losing 10-15% of body weight may put about 40% of people into remission. The Surmount OSA trial found that close to 42-50% of participants taking Tirz reached the threshold for either remission or mild OSA. Across those studies, the typical weight reduction averaged 18-20% across 52 weeks.

Right now I weigh 222 lbs, and CPAP pressure is about 6.5 cmH2O. I don't know my AHI number, but with treatment it stays near 1.3. The only thing I'm sure of is that if the machine stays off, the next day still leaves me feeling like shit. I realize I should probably be relieved that my OSA is likely now “mild,” yet I had hoped to be in remission by this point. Going through this makes me believe I need to lose an additional 30 lbs of fat before I can get a peaceful night of sleep without the machine.

How have others fared when trying to reach OSA remission through weight loss? Is there anyone else who has managed to sleep without that giant elephant trunk strapped to their face??
Like you, I deal with sleep apnea and depend on a CPAP.

What you’ve accomplished so far stands out. A treated AHI reading of 1.3 doesn’t show what your untreated AHI would be today. OSA doesn’t come only from weight. The anatomy of your airway, where your tongue sits, and the structure of your jaw also count. For some, there’s a plateau at which losing more weight barely changes anything. Others can stop using CPAP therapy after weight loss. Should apnea remain, options exist, including MADs (dental device), when it is mild. In addition, losing weight can make you eligible for the inspire implant.

I’m wondering whether anyone in this group has had a repeat sleep study following weight loss, and what their AHI was?

As an aside, this mask is easily my favorite.

View attachment 148
After testing more than twelve masks, I can confirm that this particular one comes out on top. That said, I do make one substitution: the rear strap gets swapped for the rear strap included in the Philips Dreamwear line, as that piece rests farther down on my head.
 
QueenMuntha said:

Fordhayes said:

Ragnar said:

The reason I opened this thread is simple: my biggest hope is that one night I won't snore like Darth Vader anymore. I'd also love to stop hauling that damn machine onto planes and fighting with flight attendants about it not counting toward my carry-on. Being able to camp in a tent or fall asleep outside under the stars would be great too, though that still feels like a far-off dream. Those wishes are what originally pushed me to start my Tirz weight-loss journey.

During my most recent sleep study, I was at my highest weight ever: 290lbs, BMI 39.3. That test showed an AHI of 55.5/hr, and my 90% pressure—the level needed to hold the airway open—was 17.2 cmH20. Back in September, when I began my glp1 journey, I was 260 lbs, and my CPAP pressure for keeping the airway open was roughly 12 cmH2O.

According to research, losing 10-15% of body weight may put about 40% of people into remission. The Surmount OSA trial found that close to 42-50% of participants taking Tirz reached the threshold for either remission or mild OSA. Across those studies, the typical weight reduction averaged 18-20% across 52 weeks.

Right now I weigh 222 lbs, and CPAP pressure is about 6.5 cmH2O. I don't know my AHI number, but with treatment it stays near 1.3. The only thing I'm sure of is that if the machine stays off, the next day still leaves me feeling like shit. I realize I should probably be relieved that my OSA is likely now “mild,” yet I had hoped to be in remission by this point. Going through this makes me believe I need to lose an additional 30 lbs of fat before I can get a peaceful night of sleep without the machine.

How have others fared when trying to reach OSA remission through weight loss? Is there anyone else who has managed to sleep without that giant elephant trunk strapped to their face??
Like you, I deal with sleep apnea and depend on a CPAP.

What you’ve accomplished so far stands out. A treated AHI reading of 1.3 doesn’t show what your untreated AHI would be today. OSA doesn’t come only from weight. The anatomy of your airway, where your tongue sits, and the structure of your jaw also count. For some, there’s a plateau at which losing more weight barely changes anything. Others can stop using CPAP therapy after weight loss. Should apnea remain, options exist, including MADs (dental device), when it is mild. In addition, losing weight can make you eligible for the inspire implant.

I’m wondering whether anyone in this group has had a repeat sleep study following weight loss, and what their AHI was?

As an aside, this mask is easily my favorite.

View attachment 148
After testing more than twelve masks, I can confirm that this particular one comes out on top. That said, I do make one substitution: the rear strap gets swapped for the rear strap included in the Philips Dreamwear line, as that piece rests farther down on my head.
People have said they like that head strap more than the one it includes. For me, the included strap does the job. A guy on TikTok, “Uncle Nicko,” convinced me to give this mask a shot; his entire page centers on sleep apnea, and he tests many different masks. It’s the mask he likes best. He was correct—it beats every other mask I’ve ever used.
 
Ragnar said:

The reason I opened this thread is simple: my biggest hope is that one night I won't snore like Darth Vader anymore. I'd also love to stop hauling that damn machine onto planes and fighting with flight attendants about it not counting toward my carry-on. Being able to camp in a tent or fall asleep outside under the stars would be great too, though that still feels like a far-off dream. Those wishes are what originally pushed me to start my Tirz weight-loss journey.

During my most recent sleep study, I was at my highest weight ever: 290lbs, BMI 39.3. That test showed an AHI of 55.5/hr, and my 90% pressure—the level needed to hold the airway open—was 17.2 cmH20. Back in September, when I began my glp1 journey, I was 260 lbs, and my CPAP pressure for keeping the airway open was roughly 12 cmH2O.

According to research, losing 10-15% of body weight may put about 40% of people into remission. The Surmount OSA trial found that close to 42-50% of participants taking Tirz reached the threshold for either remission or mild OSA. Across those studies, the typical weight reduction averaged 18-20% across 52 weeks.

Right now I weigh 222 lbs, and CPAP pressure is about 6.5 cmH2O. I don't know my AHI number, but with treatment it stays near 1.3. The only thing I'm sure of is that if the machine stays off, the next day still leaves me feeling like shit. I realize I should probably be relieved that my OSA is likely now “mild,” yet I had hoped to be in remission by this point. Going through this makes me believe I need to lose an additional 30 lbs of fat before I can get a peaceful night of sleep without the machine.

How have others fared when trying to reach OSA remission through weight loss? Is there anyone else who has managed to sleep without that giant elephant trunk strapped to their face??
When I started on a Cpap, I weighed 225lbs and had sleep apnea. I'm now down to 190, and the sleep apnea is no longer there. Snoring is still something I do, but the apnea has resolved.

Since then, I haven't completed a formal sleep study; even so, my Oura ring or Apple Watch isn't showing any significant breathing disturbances. Not needing the Cpap anymore has been excellent. I still want to drop about 15-20 lbs, and my hope is that this will make my snoring stop entirely.
 
Fordhayes said:

Ragnar said:

Fordhayes said:

Ragnar said:

The reason I opened this thread is simple: my biggest hope is that one night I won't snore like Darth Vader anymore. I'd also love to stop hauling that damn machine onto planes and fighting with flight attendants about it not counting toward my carry-on. Being able to camp in a tent or fall asleep outside under the stars would be great too, though that still feels like a far-off dream. Those wishes are what originally pushed me to start my Tirz weight-loss journey.

During my most recent sleep study, I was at my highest weight ever: 290lbs, BMI 39.3. That test showed an AHI of 55.5/hr, and my 90% pressure—the level needed to hold the airway open—was 17.2 cmH20. Back in September, when I began my glp1 journey, I was 260 lbs, and my CPAP pressure for keeping the airway open was roughly 12 cmH2O.

According to research, losing 10-15% of body weight may put about 40% of people into remission. The Surmount OSA trial found that close to 42-50% of participants taking Tirz reached the threshold for either remission or mild OSA. Across those studies, the typical weight reduction averaged 18-20% across 52 weeks.

Right now I weigh 222 lbs, and CPAP pressure is about 6.5 cmH2O. I don't know my AHI number, but with treatment it stays near 1.3. The only thing I'm sure of is that if the machine stays off, the next day still leaves me feeling like shit. I realize I should probably be relieved that my OSA is likely now “mild,” yet I had hoped to be in remission by this point. Going through this makes me believe I need to lose an additional 30 lbs of fat before I can get a peaceful night of sleep without the machine.

How have others fared when trying to reach OSA remission through weight loss? Is there anyone else who has managed to sleep without that giant elephant trunk strapped to their face??
Like you, I deal with sleep apnea and depend on a CPAP.

What you’ve accomplished so far stands out. A treated AHI reading of 1.3 doesn’t show what your untreated AHI would be today. OSA doesn’t come only from weight. The anatomy of your airway, where your tongue sits, and the structure of your jaw also count. For some, there’s a plateau at which losing more weight barely changes anything. Others can stop using CPAP therapy after weight loss. Should apnea remain, options exist, including MADs (dental device), when it is mild. In addition, losing weight can make you eligible for the inspire implant.

I’m wondering whether anyone in this group has had a repeat sleep study following weight loss, and what their AHI was?

As an aside, this mask is easily my favorite.

View attachment 148
I’m with you that body weight isn’t the only factor at play. Back when OSA was first identified in me, I was 26 years old and overweight. I figured it out on my own and pushed the doctors into ordering a sleep study. At first they didn’t believe me, telling me I wasn’t heavy enough nor old enough for OSA. The specific figures escape me, but I do recall that my OSA was severe enough that I ended up seeing an ENT. The findings showed a significantly deviated septum plus an unusually large Uvula. I had a modified uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (uppp) along with septum correction, and that lowered my OSA AHI values substantially. Sadly, I didn’t keep my weight in check, and over time I put on a lot, which worsened my OSA again.

Right now, my estimated body fat is about 26% according to BIA. I’ve never been truly lean, but I hope my OSA can go into remission if I drop another 30 lbs, which should put me near 15% body fat. I’ve thought about a dental device before and may look into it again. Going under the knife again for sleep apnea doesn’t appeal to me at all; I’d treat that as an absolute last resort.

At present I use the Resmed AirFit N20 Nasal.
With your history of UPPP plus septoplasty, it tracks that losing weight would bring your pressure down that much.

My nose is a mess, though there's no deviated septum. I went to an ENT and got either X-rays or a CT—I can't recall which. The finding was inflammation alone, and my allergies are severe. Flonase, nasal rinses, and a breathe right strip are what make nasal masks workable for me. The first mask they gave me was a full face mask, and I couldn't stand it.

Body fat going from 26% down to 15% is a meaningful shift for airway patency. Once you settle at a new plateau, a repeat sleep study would be worthwhile. I've considered getting another one too, since over the last year myAir has shown me averaging just 0.41 AHI a night, and 0.32 across the past 90 days. My weight hasn't changed during that year: 220-230 at 15-18% bf.

I've never used the mask you have or anything like it. The airfit p10, with the pillows that insert into the nose, didn't appeal to me; it's a common choice, but not my thing. With the mask I wear, it's wild how well it creates a perfect, comfortable seal.
Seeing treated AHI numbers like 0.41 or 0.32 honestly seems wild next to mine: 1.3 while on therapy. What I’d like to know is what your AHI looks like when you’re not using treatment. My pressure sits this low because I’ve got my CPAP on auto settings.

That mask has me intrigued for a different reason now: the tubing exits at the top, and the cushion appears to sit higher, around the nose. When I turn over during sleep, my hose tends to get in the way, and the seal under my nose bothers my beard.
 
MikeyMike said:

Ragnar said:

The reason I opened this thread is simple: my biggest hope is that one night I won't snore like Darth Vader anymore. I'd also love to stop hauling that damn machine onto planes and fighting with flight attendants about it not counting toward my carry-on. Being able to camp in a tent or fall asleep outside under the stars would be great too, though that still feels like a far-off dream. Those wishes are what originally pushed me to start my Tirz weight-loss journey.

During my most recent sleep study, I was at my highest weight ever: 290lbs, BMI 39.3. That test showed an AHI of 55.5/hr, and my 90% pressure—the level needed to hold the airway open—was 17.2 cmH20. Back in September, when I began my glp1 journey, I was 260 lbs, and my CPAP pressure for keeping the airway open was roughly 12 cmH2O.

According to research, losing 10-15% of body weight may put about 40% of people into remission. The Surmount OSA trial found that close to 42-50% of participants taking Tirz reached the threshold for either remission or mild OSA. Across those studies, the typical weight reduction averaged 18-20% across 52 weeks.

Right now I weigh 222 lbs, and CPAP pressure is about 6.5 cmH2O. I don't know my AHI number, but with treatment it stays near 1.3. The only thing I'm sure of is that if the machine stays off, the next day still leaves me feeling like shit. I realize I should probably be relieved that my OSA is likely now “mild,” yet I had hoped to be in remission by this point. Going through this makes me believe I need to lose an additional 30 lbs of fat before I can get a peaceful night of sleep without the machine.

How have others fared when trying to reach OSA remission through weight loss? Is there anyone else who has managed to sleep without that giant elephant trunk strapped to their face??
When I started on a Cpap, I weighed 225lbs and had sleep apnea. I'm now down to 190, and the sleep apnea is no longer there. Snoring is still something I do, but the apnea has resolved.

Since then, I haven't completed a formal sleep study; even so, my Oura ring or Apple Watch isn't showing any significant breathing disturbances. Not needing the Cpap anymore has been excellent. I still want to drop about 15-20 lbs, and my hope is that this will make my snoring stop entirely.
What great news — congratulations on the sleep apnea remission.
 
I’m on CPAP for OSA, and after beginning tirz I’ve dropped around 12% in body weight. The condition definitely hasn’t gone away. My pressure still sits in the low teens on average, though it has fallen by several cmH2O, and my overnight events are now down to 0.6/hour.

That said, I was snoring as a teen, which makes me think my anatomy is part of the picture. While the ENT was examining my tonsils, he told me “you have a large tongue and a long uvula”.
 
Ragnar said:

Fordhayes said:

Ragnar said:

Fordhayes said:

Ragnar said:

The reason I opened this thread is simple: my biggest hope is that one night I won't snore like Darth Vader anymore. I'd also love to stop hauling that damn machine onto planes and fighting with flight attendants about it not counting toward my carry-on. Being able to camp in a tent or fall asleep outside under the stars would be great too, though that still feels like a far-off dream. Those wishes are what originally pushed me to start my Tirz weight-loss journey.

During my most recent sleep study, I was at my highest weight ever: 290lbs, BMI 39.3. That test showed an AHI of 55.5/hr, and my 90% pressure—the level needed to hold the airway open—was 17.2 cmH20. Back in September, when I began my glp1 journey, I was 260 lbs, and my CPAP pressure for keeping the airway open was roughly 12 cmH2O.

According to research, losing 10-15% of body weight may put about 40% of people into remission. The Surmount OSA trial found that close to 42-50% of participants taking Tirz reached the threshold for either remission or mild OSA. Across those studies, the typical weight reduction averaged 18-20% across 52 weeks.

Right now I weigh 222 lbs, and CPAP pressure is about 6.5 cmH2O. I don't know my AHI number, but with treatment it stays near 1.3. The only thing I'm sure of is that if the machine stays off, the next day still leaves me feeling like shit. I realize I should probably be relieved that my OSA is likely now “mild,” yet I had hoped to be in remission by this point. Going through this makes me believe I need to lose an additional 30 lbs of fat before I can get a peaceful night of sleep without the machine.

How have others fared when trying to reach OSA remission through weight loss? Is there anyone else who has managed to sleep without that giant elephant trunk strapped to their face??
Like you, I deal with sleep apnea and depend on a CPAP.

What you’ve accomplished so far stands out. A treated AHI reading of 1.3 doesn’t show what your untreated AHI would be today. OSA doesn’t come only from weight. The anatomy of your airway, where your tongue sits, and the structure of your jaw also count. For some, there’s a plateau at which losing more weight barely changes anything. Others can stop using CPAP therapy after weight loss. Should apnea remain, options exist, including MADs (dental device), when it is mild. In addition, losing weight can make you eligible for the inspire implant.

I’m wondering whether anyone in this group has had a repeat sleep study following weight loss, and what their AHI was?

As an aside, this mask is easily my favorite.

View attachment 148
I’m with you that body weight isn’t the only factor at play. Back when OSA was first identified in me, I was 26 years old and overweight. I figured it out on my own and pushed the doctors into ordering a sleep study. At first they didn’t believe me, telling me I wasn’t heavy enough nor old enough for OSA. The specific figures escape me, but I do recall that my OSA was severe enough that I ended up seeing an ENT. The findings showed a significantly deviated septum plus an unusually large Uvula. I had a modified uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (uppp) along with septum correction, and that lowered my OSA AHI values substantially. Sadly, I didn’t keep my weight in check, and over time I put on a lot, which worsened my OSA again.

Right now, my estimated body fat is about 26% according to BIA. I’ve never been truly lean, but I hope my OSA can go into remission if I drop another 30 lbs, which should put me near 15% body fat. I’ve thought about a dental device before and may look into it again. Going under the knife again for sleep apnea doesn’t appeal to me at all; I’d treat that as an absolute last resort.

At present I use the Resmed AirFit N20 Nasal.
With your history of UPPP plus septoplasty, it tracks that losing weight would bring your pressure down that much.

My nose is a mess, though there's no deviated septum. I went to an ENT and got either X-rays or a CT—I can't recall which. The finding was inflammation alone, and my allergies are severe. Flonase, nasal rinses, and a breathe right strip are what make nasal masks workable for me. The first mask they gave me was a full face mask, and I couldn't stand it.

Body fat going from 26% down to 15% is a meaningful shift for airway patency. Once you settle at a new plateau, a repeat sleep study would be worthwhile. I've considered getting another one too, since over the last year myAir has shown me averaging just 0.41 AHI a night, and 0.32 across the past 90 days. My weight hasn't changed during that year: 220-230 at 15-18% bf.

I've never used the mask you have or anything like it. The airfit p10, with the pillows that insert into the nose, didn't appeal to me; it's a common choice, but not my thing. With the mask I wear, it's wild how well it creates a perfect, comfortable seal.
Seeing treated AHI numbers like 0.41 or 0.32 honestly seems wild next to mine: 1.3 while on therapy. What I’d like to know is what your AHI looks like when you’re not using treatment. My pressure sits this low because I’ve got my CPAP on auto settings.

That mask has me intrigued for a different reason now: the tubing exits at the top, and the cushion appears to sit higher, around the nose. When I turn over during sleep, my hose tends to get in the way, and the seal under my nose bothers my beard.
At the sleep study that gave me my sleep apnea diagnosis, my AHI came back as 14. That put me at the upper edge of mild, since moderate begins at 15. On auto mode, before any weight came off, with a full face mask, my AHI under treatment was about 1.25.

I stopped seeing my sleep doctor and took the rogue route. After plenty of research, I adjusted my CPAP settings on my own. I have EPR set to 3 and a pressure range of 8–15, and this setup performs much better for me than the auto mode ever did. The pressure averages 9. This isn’t medical advice, but it’s what works in my case.

The mask is excellent. An adjustable overhead arm holds the hose, keeping it clear. I’m able to toss and turn without restriction. The nose cradle rests at the bottom of my nose; it creates no beard irritation and leaves my mustache alone.
 
An OSA diagnosis came my way in 2017. In 2018, after I dropped 60 pounds, I did another sleep study. My doctor described the apnea as marginal and told me I could quit CPAP if I chose to. I did.

By autumn 2024, those 60lbs had returned and I’d added another 30lbs, and in October 2024 I was diagnosed with OSA again. I went back on CPAP and this time figured out how to view sleep data and change the clinical settings.

The pulmonologist I now see wants me to get rid of all the weight I plan to lose before he schedules another sleep study. I’m down roughly 118 pounds and likely still have about 20 lbs to go. I’ve adjusted the machine to its lowest possible pressure and probably no longer need CPAP. According to my apple watch and Oura ring, there are no breathing problems. 🤷🏻‍♂️

ETA: A nasal mask would be my preference, but because I breathe through my mouth, it isn’t an option. I had a panic attack when I taped my mouth while trying to use one. After 10 or more masks, I settled on the F40 and love it.
 
Anyone else found the snoring stops? Once you have been on it a while, or hit your goal?
 
WLBLD said:

Anyone else found the snoring stops? Once you have been on it a while, or hit your goal?
My nightly total went from 6 hours down to ~15 minutes. There are nights when it’s none. Once I got to around 4 mg of Reta, it was downhill from there.
 
Ragnar said:

The reason I opened this thread is simple: my biggest hope is that one night I won't snore like Darth Vader anymore. I'd also love to stop hauling that damn machine onto planes and fighting with flight attendants about it not counting toward my carry-on. Being able to camp in a tent or fall asleep outside under the stars would be great too, though that still feels like a far-off dream. Those wishes are what originally pushed me to start my Tirz weight-loss journey.

During my most recent sleep study, I was at my highest weight ever: 290lbs, BMI 39.3. That test showed an AHI of 55.5/hr, and my 90% pressure—the level needed to hold the airway open—was 17.2 cmH20. Back in September, when I began my glp1 journey, I was 260 lbs, and my CPAP pressure for keeping the airway open was roughly 12 cmH2O.

According to research, losing 10-15% of body weight may put about 40% of people into remission. The Surmount OSA trial found that close to 42-50% of participants taking Tirz reached the threshold for either remission or mild OSA. Across those studies, the typical weight reduction averaged 18-20% across 52 weeks.

Right now I weigh 222 lbs, and CPAP pressure is about 6.5 cmH2O. I don't know my AHI number, but with treatment it stays near 1.3. The only thing I'm sure of is that if the machine stays off, the next day still leaves me feeling like shit. I realize I should probably be relieved that my OSA is likely now “mild,” yet I had hoped to be in remission by this point. Going through this makes me believe I need to lose an additional 30 lbs of fat before I can get a peaceful night of sleep without the machine.

How have others fared when trying to reach OSA remission through weight loss? Is there anyone else who has managed to sleep without that giant elephant trunk strapped to their face??
I owe being 100% off it to weight loss. At 330 to start, I dropped 15-20lbs and it was no longer necessary. Best of luck! Freedom is just around the corner!
 
BlueDog55 said:

Ragnar said:

The reason I opened this thread is simple: my biggest hope is that one night I won't snore like Darth Vader anymore. I'd also love to stop hauling that damn machine onto planes and fighting with flight attendants about it not counting toward my carry-on. Being able to camp in a tent or fall asleep outside under the stars would be great too, though that still feels like a far-off dream. Those wishes are what originally pushed me to start my Tirz weight-loss journey.

During my most recent sleep study, I was at my highest weight ever: 290lbs, BMI 39.3. That test showed an AHI of 55.5/hr, and my 90% pressure—the level needed to hold the airway open—was 17.2 cmH20. Back in September, when I began my glp1 journey, I was 260 lbs, and my CPAP pressure for keeping the airway open was roughly 12 cmH2O.

According to research, losing 10-15% of body weight may put about 40% of people into remission. The Surmount OSA trial found that close to 42-50% of participants taking Tirz reached the threshold for either remission or mild OSA. Across those studies, the typical weight reduction averaged 18-20% across 52 weeks.

Right now I weigh 222 lbs, and CPAP pressure is about 6.5 cmH2O. I don't know my AHI number, but with treatment it stays near 1.3. The only thing I'm sure of is that if the machine stays off, the next day still leaves me feeling like shit. I realize I should probably be relieved that my OSA is likely now “mild,” yet I had hoped to be in remission by this point. Going through this makes me believe I need to lose an additional 30 lbs of fat before I can get a peaceful night of sleep without the machine.

How have others fared when trying to reach OSA remission through weight loss? Is there anyone else who has managed to sleep without that giant elephant trunk strapped to their face??
I owe being 100% off it to weight loss. At 330 to start, I dropped 15-20lbs and it was no longer necessary. Best of luck! Freedom is just around the corner!
My situation matches that. My wife used to get on me about my snoring too. For roughly the past 3 months, though, I haven't been snoring. Reta, along with a CJC-1295/Ipamorelin combo, helped me drop a significant amount of weight.

I also learned last year that even a slight deviated septum may trigger sleep apnea. An ENT examined me and verified that I have a slight deviated septum plus nasal polyps. On top of that, it appears my body attempted to compensate by growing additional nasal bone on one side.

Fixing it is still on my to-do list, but because of the weight I lost, I'm no longer using CPAP and the snoring has stopped.
 
I was never tested for sleep apnoea, even though I likely should have been, because tiredness was a constant issue for me and my snoring was extremely loud. At some point while my weight was anywhere from 145kg to 75 kg—and now 65kg—the snoring has disappeared entirely, even though my septum is severely deviated, which I figure happened because my nose was broken once or twice when I was a kid.
 
WLBLD said:

Anyone else found the snoring stops? Once you have been on it a while, or hit your goal?
My snoring has stopped completely, and my partner says the change has been remarkable. I still have roughly 30 pounds to go until my goal, but over the last 19 months I've lost about 85.
 
Major Update:

Since Dec 2023, I've been using CPAP for my severe OSA (obstructive sleep apnea) diagnosis, which had an AHI of 49. CPAP treatment has worked wonderfully; I haven't skipped a single night, and my AHI while on CPAP ranges from 0.0 to 0.2. Fantastic.

A week ago, I had two wisdom teeth extracted. They were located deep in the sinus and had bulbous roots, so my oral surgeon instructed me to keep my CPAP (BiLevel) off for Two Weeks. I expected that not using it would cause nightly AFib episodes, but I'm complying with his orders because I've heard a Dry Socket is the absolute worst.

Thus, over the last two nights, I conducted an experiment using my Wellue O2 ring—I wore it nonstop throughout the whole night-morning.

Consider me shocked. My untreated, no-CPAP night showed no oxygen dips under 92%! Holy shit! Since beginning GLP-1s last June, I've dropped 65 pounds, but since I still have 120 pounds left to lose, that's really not a huge amount of weight loss.

I've read that GLP1s fix OSA through more than just weight loss—they lower inflammation in the throat's tissue and reduce adipose tissue, and some people even think it involves brain-stimulated mechanisms for the entire breathing system.

I've booked an at-home Sleep Test to formally verify the results. This is insane!

So, in my case, beginning this class of medications has:

  1. Moved me from Stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD), where my eGFR was 49, down to Stage 2, where my eGFR is 78.
  2. Got rid of the agonizing chronic pain from bilateral knee osteoarthritis, which was bone-on-bone (no surgeon would perform a knee replacement due to my starting weight. [thank God now]). The pain was so crippling that I needed a cane full-time, and because of CKD I couldn't take any pain medication other than Tylenol.
  3. Completely cured my Overactive Bladder, so I no longer need fucking adult protection. Like, entirely.
  4. Completely wiped out my IBS.
  5. Halted Gout flares that Allopurinol wasn't fully resolving.
  6. Thus far seems to have sent my sleep apnea (severe obstructive) into remission
  7. Bringing lipedema down to levels I never imagined
  8. Sharply improving PCOS markers
  9. Gave me a new sensation of actually enjoying going out again, since I can now do it without getting breathless or needing a cane.
The weight loss is merely a bonus compared to the many other benefits these drugs are giving me. Although I've found that Reta causes gall bladder issues, Tirzepatide will likely be my lifelong choice, provided my overseas friends keep making it.

AND, don't get me started on what GLOW has done for me--THAT deserves its own separate post. 🤣

My GLP1 doses starting June 25

0fc01b3034437d994d6a7fdd72d9a9aa06ee169798d056c41c87e4936a763ed5.webp
 
Back
Top