Great results, yet... could I be moving too quickly?

randompersonrandom said:

BallingOnABudget said:

Honestly, it really comes down to what you're aiming for. Are you chasing a shredded look? Wanting to live healthier overall? Is this piece of a bigger glow up plan? Or are you targeting a specific body fat percentage?

First off, dropping 70lbs across 18 weeks is amazing. For lasting weight loss and body recomp, 1-2lbs per week is typically considered the safe range, so you're "technically" going a bit fast (~4lbs per week). Plenty of research points to weight coming back after stopping glps, so it's crucial that you pick up healthier nutrition and eating habits too, to help keep the weight off long term.

How has your physical activity looked during those 4.5mos? What was your physical activity like before you began? Has the weight come off mostly because of appetite suppression? If that's the case, your body still needs macro and micronutrients. You're still young, but building this foundation matters for longevity.

Exercise and protein matter for limiting muscle loss. Fairlife Corepower Elite is god status (lactose free), or you could simply get ultra filtered milk and mix in whatever protein powder you prefer. Definitely add a multivitamin. Fruits/veggies, lean protein, healthy fats, and whole grains. Healthy fats matter especially for hormones and many other things. Don't fear good carbs, avoid the bad ones. Once you find your groove, cooking doesn't need to be a long drawn out process.

You're already fairly close to a healthy BMI, so maybe now start focusing on how to keep that healthy BMI for life without crazy rebounds.

Hello! I just wanted to drop in and softly challenge that sort of assumption.

A lot of folks already know plenty about eating better, yet before glp-1's they still couldn't keep their eating healthy and moderate. Among other things, these medications address the overwhelming drive to eat excessively and too frequently, and that condition isn't something you can "learn" your way out of.

I'm on thyroid medication and will be for life, because I can't "learn" to make a suitable amount of thyroid hormone—but the meds get me the levels I need. I'm also on glp-1's because I can't "learn" to avoid feeling wretched while eating a moderate number of calories—but the glp-1's get me the right level of interest in food.
Wow, you picked out a single word from my entire comment just so you could get on a soapbox 😂

Pavlovian conditioning and scientific research are not assumptions. Clearly your circumstances are different and have zero relevance to OP’s post, which was asking for opinions. Biology alone doesn’t determine health and longevity—psychology factors in as well.

Trying to link my comment to your thyroid condition and the idea that you can’t “learn” to make that hormone is quite a reach.

Every study on GLPs emphasizes pairing them with healthy lifestyle changes for a reason—but what do doctors and scientists know? Perhaps read (or re-read) the original post before the selective outrage and drama.
 
mrcurtain said:

I would love to give each of you a personal response, but there simply aren't enough hours to write back to every single person! Instead, I'll cover the main themes and touch on a few particular points.

For everyone who said I'm clearly dropping weight quickly (or that asking the question means I already suspect it), I appreciate the confirmation. Of course I already knew it was pretty fast, but my main worry was probably my health, plus wanting to see how my rate stacked up against what others typically experience. I'm getting close to my target of 160 lbs, though whether that number is actually healthy is another matter (and I'm happy to talk about that). Hearing that I'm probably physically fine as long as I feel okay and aren't having bad side effects did ease my mind somewhat. The one side effect I genuinely don't like is a tiredness that hangs over my non-work hours, though at least it isn't crippling fatigue. The lack of motivation isn't great either, but I can live with that temporarily until I reach where I want to be.

Many of you suggested adding a multivitamin, starting to exercise, increasing protein, and generally making sure I'm set up to eat properly once I transition to maintenance. I'll absolutely pick up a multivitamin and maybe some meal replacement shakes for days when I can't use the kitchen. Someone specifically asked what my exercise looks like, and honestly it's just walking. I love walking. That said, how much I walk has clearly dropped off since I started retatrutide. Typically I walk at least 15-30 minutes daily, and most weeks I'll take a couple days to walk for a few hours depending on how I'm feeling. One thing that worried me early on about this fast loss was that my multi-hour walks now leave me sorer than they did before. I still do the longer walks, but I've been doing the shorter ones less often. It's also winter here, which naturally cuts down on walking. Beyond walking, I don't really do anything except try to move around as much as possible. So if I had to guess, most of my weight loss is definitely coming from appetite suppression and slower digestion.

As for getting into the habit of cooking and eating healthy, nutritious food, that's something I do want to begin, but the reduced motivation plus my living situation make it extra hard. I'll do my best to start eating better as soon as I can, and I always intended to do that before stopping or moving to maintenance. I think my first nutrition priorities will be a good multivitamin, getting some form of protein into my diet, and picking up meal replacement shakes for when I lack the motivation to figure out when and how to cook.

The motivation shortage and constant tiredness I mentioned make it hard to picture exercising beyond my walks. I know it needs to happen, though, and I'm sure a lot of the fat I still see would look much better as muscle. The main reason I've delayed it is that I knew I probably wasn't taking in nearly enough protein, or nutrients overall, to build muscle. Once my nutrition is in better shape, I'll look into exercises beyond just obsessive walking.

On the topic of rebound weight gain, quitting reta entirely, or choosing maintenance, that's clearly a very personal call. I definitely agree that for some people retatrutide works almost like a corrective medication for appetite, and honestly, I feel like I might be a lifer on this stuff. That's not the plan, obviously, but it wouldn't shock me to find myself on it forever at very low doses. My hunger is insatiable, and frankly I'm almost disgusted by how much food I used to be able to eat. Being able to make sensible choices about what I eat instead of impulsively grabbing something, being able to stick to portions, and just not thinking about food every god damn 5-10 minutes has been a godsend. Personally, I do plan to taper down very slowly once I hit my goal weight. Since I intend to do a more formal recomposition phase then, I plan to come off retatrutide for that period to see how I do without it. After that I'll assess and decide whether I want to continue on a long-term maintenance dose. I appreciate having that choice, and I think either path is perfectly acceptable and should be up to the individual and what they feel benefits them most.

To wrap up this very long reply, thank you to everyone who took the time to write these responses. They felt very thoughtful, and I appreciate all the advice and suggestions given to me. While I obviously know all of this generally, hearing it from real people going through this same wild journey is very helpful. Feel free to ask me any more questions, and if you have suggestions for simple, equipment-free exercises I could do outside the gym, please throw them at me! I could at least start doing little things at home until I get my nutrition in order.

Seth
Take a moment to appreciate how far you’ve come. What you’ve achieved is genuinely difficult.

With just 2 x 20 lb dumbbells, you open up plenty of training possibilities. Resistance bands are another affordable and useful option.

Getting your nutrition and cooking sorted doesn’t need to be complicated. Frozen vegetables, ready-made healthy sauces, whole grain pasta or rice, plus ground beef or chicken can give you a week’s worth of meal prep in 15-20 minutes. Part of that tiredness may come from not enough calories and missing micro/macro nutrients. Exercise and better nutrition will probably give you an energy boost, and building muscle will also help you reach your goal weight faster.

And try not to be too hard on yourself about eating habits. The majority of food that’s advertised to us is designed to trigger cravings and make us overeat. Many of us are dealing with the same thing.

Keep it up!
 
Dialing back your dosage is a perfectly reasonable choice. Excess loose skin is both frightening and a medical concern on its own. My own plan is a gradual reduction so I can hopefully avoid needing surgery to remove skin.
 
Back
Top