Gray RETA and your Doctor / PCP

gimmeshelter

Explorer
Joined
Feb 22, 2026
Messages
162
Reaction score
0
Location
NC
Morning. I'm wondering how other people handle the subject of starting Reta with their private healthcare provider - in other words, their doctor. Right now I'm in the sourcing stage, sitting on a pile of bookmarks and gradually trimming the list down (it has been a journey........). The plan for my next step is a blood panel to check where things stand, then kick off RETA in 4-6 weeks.

So I'm curious......is anyone out there open with their doc about using a gray market product? Do most people get bloodwork done first and then begin a protocol?

For those who did bring it up with their doc, how did they react? Thanks !
 
What a coincidence you brought that up. Only 7 days back, I told my physician I'd quit Ozempic and switched to Reta. He didn't recognize the name at all, so he searched it right there. He went over what he found out loud, and we talked about it for a bit. Once he understood I had no plans to quit it, he began to panic. He brought up the unfinished phase 3 trials and the lack of FDA approval, as if that would make me reconsider. I explained that I'd looked into it extensively and accepted the risk. After that, he gave me the line about how he couldn't be held responsible for any consequences. I told him I'm accountable for my own choices and simply wanted to be upfront with my doctor. Then came his question: "where do you get it" I'd begun with a local source before finding China, so I said "China". OMG, everything exploded after that....
 
If it were me, I'd tell them it's compounded tirzepatide—or a comparable medication—that a physician prescribed via a telehealth provider. And because you're located in the U.S., keep in mind that if any health issues tied to 'grey market' peptides end up documented in your medical records, that gives insurers a straightforward reason to refuse coverage should problems emerge later on.
 
In a few weeks I've got an appointment with the PCP I see locally. This is the same doctor who wrote me a Zepbound prescription, and afterward it was clear to both of us that the cost meant I wouldn't be using it.

That same PCP, not having the information we now have, went on to recommend I look into things like Hims. (and we're all familiar with how THAT turns out)

So my plan is to tell them about the telehealth path I've been following this year, go over the telehealth research I've gathered, warn them against pointing people toward Hims, and stop there.

About the grey research, I won't be saying anything, for the reasons already covered in this thread.
 
I skipped any lab tests and kept my doctor in the dark. Still, part of me wishes I had baseline bloodwork done, if only to compare before and after.
 
gimmeshelter said:

Morning. I'm wondering how other people handle the subject of starting Reta with their private healthcare provider - in other words, their doctor. Right now I'm in the sourcing stage, sitting on a pile of bookmarks and gradually trimming the list down (it has been a journey........). The plan for my next step is a blood panel to check where things stand, then kick off RETA in 4-6 weeks.

So I'm curious......is anyone out there open with their doc about using a gray market product? Do most people get bloodwork done first and then begin a protocol?

For those who did bring it up with their doc, how did they react? Thanks !
When it comes up, I simply mention that tirzepatide is being prescribed to me through a telehealth service. His reaction was completely unfazed. These days, I'd guess that situation is pretty widespread.
 
AcadiaPeptides said:

In a few weeks I've got an appointment with the PCP I see locally. This is the same doctor who wrote me a Zepbound prescription, and afterward it was clear to both of us that the cost meant I wouldn't be using it.

That same PCP, not having the information we now have, went on to recommend I look into things like Hims. (and we're all familiar with how THAT turns out)

So my plan is to tell them about the telehealth path I've been following this year, go over the telehealth research I've gathered, warn them against pointing people toward Hims, and stop there.

About the grey research, I won't be saying anything, for the reasons already covered in this thread.
HIMS is a name I've come across before — so are you saying it's completely fraudulent? Fill me in, I'm clueless!
 
gimmeshelter said:

AcadiaPeptides said:

In a few weeks I've got an appointment with the PCP I see locally. This is the same doctor who wrote me a Zepbound prescription, and afterward it was clear to both of us that the cost meant I wouldn't be using it.

That same PCP, not having the information we now have, went on to recommend I look into things like Hims. (and we're all familiar with how THAT turns out)

So my plan is to tell them about the telehealth path I've been following this year, go over the telehealth research I've gathered, warn them against pointing people toward Hims, and stop there.

About the grey research, I won't be saying anything, for the reasons already covered in this thread.
HIMS is a name I've come across before — so are you saying it's completely fraudulent? Fill me in, I'm clueless!
Hims and Hers belong to the same parent company, and among telehealth providers they rank as one of the largest sellers of glp 1 products. Their business is essentially prescription sales, which lets you obtain compounded glp 1.
 
At my yearly appointment 3 weeks back, I kept it to myself. They drew blood, then I came back to go over the results. All my numbers came back squarely in the normal range, BP and HR included. The scale showed a 3lbs drop, though he was already aware I'd dialed back beer and carbs while eating less and cleaner.
 
When I made the switch from namebrand to compound, I let my doc know I'd bought enough compound to survive the apocalypse. He tried to go over expiration dates and such. I told him I'm aware, thanks. The next appointment will play out the same way.
 
I didn't, and I won't. Trying things his way cost me a great deal of time—these days, we do it my way. The 2 liver enzymes that kicked off the whole discussion ([[Q1]]) aren't a problem anymore.

Perhaps someday I'll come clean with him. More probably, though, I'll let him know exactly how useless and draining some of the hurdles he put me through turned out to be. There's nothing quite like being instructed to put on weight so a surgery would approve you, or being herded into a room with a crowd of people to be weighed like livestock before everyone sits through the same video, or having your intake cut down to a constantly shifting allowance of "points"—a system that, for someone who cooks at home like me, turns almost algebraic.

For the first time since I was 8 years old, I'm not on a diet. I eat real food, in appropriate amounts without obsession. IMO this medication has done as much for my mental health as it has my waistline, and I am not debating it with anyone who has not physically experienced obesity or deeply loved and respected someone who has.

Sorry if that was a downer. I guess the idea hit a nerve.
 
During appointments, I let both my PCP and my cardiologist know that I was using Reta. I brought printed medical articles on reta for my PCP, and he said it had already come up at the Internal Medicine convention he went to. He was very happy because every one of my metabolic values had returned to normal and my A1C had dropped into the normal range. At my annual cardiologist visit, the moment he entered the room he asked, [[Q1]]. He was shocked that I had lost 100lbs since the previous visit. After I explained the reta and the exercise, he said to keep up the great work and discontinued my blood pressure pills. I recently had a repeat sleep study, and they told me I no longer had to use the CPAP. Both of them asked where I got the reta, and I said a chinese manufacturer makes it. They weren't surprised, since a lot of the generic drugs available in the US come from chinese factories.
 
At my previous physical, I mentioned to my provider that Zepbound was something I wanted to try. Labs were ordered for me, and she suggested the pill version because it costs less. Oddly enough, my primary provider has started up a "Weight Loss Clinic" and recommended that I give it a look.

I took the brochure, said thanks, and continued on my way.





1d45e0b1793d6c6af48bb0b05cdb80e3ed69683d64357d2e6936583e3f136500.webp
 

What do you tell your Doctor



Let's say you show up for your normal appointments and have your labs drawn. Are you upfront about your regimen, or do you keep it to yourself? I've come across advice that you should never withhold information from your physician, but after I mentioned enjoying an occasional cigarette, I ended up billed for a smoking cessation...

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com
 
I never brought it up with mine. For the past decade, my annual appointment has basically gone: "labs look good, you're healthy as a horse, but you're over weight. Work on that. Have a nice day, thanks for the $$$."

I get blood work done every 3 months, and it's more thorough than what they order, at 1/4 the cost. I also track heart rate, sleep, and other metrics with my watch, plus I check blood pressure on a regular basis. Them not knowing doesn't really bother me, and for my particular circumstances I doubt it would change anything.
 
Birdie said:

I didn't, and I won't. Trying things his way cost me a great deal of time—these days, we do it my way. The 2 liver enzymes that kicked off the whole discussion ([[Q1]]) aren't a problem anymore.

Perhaps someday I'll come clean with him. More probably, though, I'll let him know exactly how useless and draining some of the hurdles he put me through turned out to be. There's nothing quite like being instructed to put on weight so a surgery would approve you, or being herded into a room with a crowd of people to be weighed like livestock before everyone sits through the same video, or having your intake cut down to a constantly shifting allowance of "points"—a system that, for someone who cooks at home like me, turns almost algebraic.

For the first time since I was 8 years old, I'm not on a diet. I eat real food, in appropriate amounts without obsession. IMO this medication has done as much for my mental health as it has my waistline, and I am not debating it with anyone who has not physically experienced obesity or deeply loved and respected someone who has.

Sorry if that was a downer. I guess the idea hit a nerve.
"Perhaps someday I'll come clean with him. But honestly, it's more probable that I'll end up describing exactly how pointless and draining those hurdles he made me clear actually were." THIS!

AND THIS

"At 8 years old was the last time I was dieting — until now. I consume actual food, in sensible portions, without letting it consume me. As I see it, this drug has benefited my mind every bit as much as my body, and I won't argue the point with anybody who hasn't lived through obesity themselves or cared deeply for and admired someone who has."

MENTAL HEALTH YES!!!!
 
Birdie said:

I didn't, and I won't. Trying things his way cost me a great deal of time—these days, we do it my way. The 2 liver enzymes that kicked off the whole discussion ([[Q1]]) aren't a problem anymore.

Perhaps someday I'll come clean with him. More probably, though, I'll let him know exactly how useless and draining some of the hurdles he put me through turned out to be. There's nothing quite like being instructed to put on weight so a surgery would approve you, or being herded into a room with a crowd of people to be weighed like livestock before everyone sits through the same video, or having your intake cut down to a constantly shifting allowance of "points"—a system that, for someone who cooks at home like me, turns almost algebraic.

For the first time since I was 8 years old, I'm not on a diet. I eat real food, in appropriate amounts without obsession. IMO this medication has done as much for my mental health as it has my waistline, and I am not debating it with anyone who has not physically experienced obesity or deeply loved and respected someone who has.

Sorry if that was a downer. I guess the idea hit a nerve.

Wow, that's a fantastic reply. Really glad to hear it !!!
 
gimmeshelter said:

Morning. I'm wondering how other people handle the subject of starting Reta with their private healthcare provider - in other words, their doctor. Right now I'm in the sourcing stage, sitting on a pile of bookmarks and gradually trimming the list down (it has been a journey........). The plan for my next step is a blood panel to check where things stand, then kick off RETA in 4-6 weeks.

So I'm curious......is anyone out there open with their doc about using a gray market product? Do most people get bloodwork done first and then begin a protocol?

For those who did bring it up with their doc, how did they react? Thanks !
Last week I went in for a physical and mentioned to my physician that reta was part of my routine. His response was a stare, followed by, "I hope you've got a good source."

I told him that was covered, and he continued by noting the data looks extremely promising, plus a warning: watch out with BP meds, since dropping weight means those doses will need tweaking. He's been my primary for 25 years. That's why.
 
This Friday I've got a visit scheduled with my PA. My plan was to ask for a broad blood panel plus an ecg, since I'm on TRT and might experiment with a TRT+ down the road, so I want a snapshot of my current numbers. The issue of how I'd respond to her questions about my weight loss hadn't crossed my mind, and I'd rather keep my Chinese Reta use off the record. I figure I'll go with the zepbound telehealth "white lie."
 
Lovedog100 said:

What a coincidence you brought that up. Only 7 days back, I told my physician I'd quit Ozempic and switched to Reta. He didn't recognize the name at all, so he searched it right there. He went over what he found out loud, and we talked about it for a bit. Once he understood I had no plans to quit it, he began to panic. He brought up the unfinished phase 3 trials and the lack of FDA approval, as if that would make me reconsider. I explained that I'd looked into it extensively and accepted the risk. After that, he gave me the line about how he couldn't be held responsible for any consequences. I told him I'm accountable for my own choices and simply wanted to be upfront with my doctor. Then came his question: "where do you get it" I'd begun with a local source before finding China, so I said "China". OMG, everything exploded after that....
My doctor reacted the same way — she was so furious that she wouldn't even make eye contact with me. That happened last year.
 
Back
Top