deleted.user.16
Explorer
We've all seen discussions about sterility failures and endotoxin worries. But something I came across on other social media platforms—yet oddly haven't spotted here—is the possibility of developing antibodies against GLP medications. Data from the Retatrutide trials showed that a notable proportion of participants formed antibodies (ranging from 4% in the 1mg group up to 18% in the 12mg group). And those were the "legitimate" trial compounds; the stuff we're injecting may be far more degraded due to dubious manufacturing, shipping, and storage practices from grey-market suppliers, which could lead to even higher rates of antibody formation.
One theory I've encountered suggests these antibodies might not only neutralize our beloved Chinese peptides but could also target our body's own naturally produced GLP-1 hormones. This idea stems from numerous real-world cases in the 1990s involving epoetin alfa (rHuEPO), a hormone given subcutaneously to boost red blood cell production. Poor storage and handling (potentially due to chemicals in the rubber stoppers of pre-filled syringes interacting with the protein) led to aggregation and degradation, which in turn caused patients to generate antibodies that attacked both the injected protein and their own endogenous hormone.
I haven't been able to track down any follow-up on how those patients fared—whether the antibodies disappeared after discontinuing the drug or if they required regular blood transfusions for life.
Now, I doubt the theoretical consequences of GLP-1 antibodies would be anywhere near as severe as those of erythropoietin antibodies. No one would need blood transfusions; I suspect you'd just feel extremely hungry if your GLP-1 levels dropped? As for what GIP or glucagon antibodies might theoretically do, I won't even try to guess because I have no clue.
If antibodies pose any risk at all, it would substantially alter the risk-benefit analysis for many people (myself included) who are overweight or borderline obese and have no intention of being on GLP medications forever. At minimum, I wonder if it might be wiser to switch from Reta to Tirz or Sema (which are more stable peptides) and start purchasing smaller vials to minimize how long the peptide sits after reconstitution.
I'm eager to hear what the forum thinks. Does anyone have additional information? I know some of you have medical or chemistry backgrounds, so your insights would be particularly valuable.
One theory I've encountered suggests these antibodies might not only neutralize our beloved Chinese peptides but could also target our body's own naturally produced GLP-1 hormones. This idea stems from numerous real-world cases in the 1990s involving epoetin alfa (rHuEPO), a hormone given subcutaneously to boost red blood cell production. Poor storage and handling (potentially due to chemicals in the rubber stoppers of pre-filled syringes interacting with the protein) led to aggregation and degradation, which in turn caused patients to generate antibodies that attacked both the injected protein and their own endogenous hormone.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15792922/PRCA [Pure red cell aplasia] occurs from the generation of antibodies against rHuEPO, which neutralize not only the recombinant protein, but also native erythropoietin, resulting in the absence of red cell precursors in the bone marrow.
Click to expand...
I haven't been able to track down any follow-up on how those patients fared—whether the antibodies disappeared after discontinuing the drug or if they required regular blood transfusions for life.
Now, I doubt the theoretical consequences of GLP-1 antibodies would be anywhere near as severe as those of erythropoietin antibodies. No one would need blood transfusions; I suspect you'd just feel extremely hungry if your GLP-1 levels dropped? As for what GIP or glucagon antibodies might theoretically do, I won't even try to guess because I have no clue.
If antibodies pose any risk at all, it would substantially alter the risk-benefit analysis for many people (myself included) who are overweight or borderline obese and have no intention of being on GLP medications forever. At minimum, I wonder if it might be wiser to switch from Reta to Tirz or Sema (which are more stable peptides) and start purchasing smaller vials to minimize how long the peptide sits after reconstitution.
I'm eager to hear what the forum thinks. Does anyone have additional information? I know some of you have medical or chemistry backgrounds, so your insights would be particularly valuable.