GLP-1 and Cartilage Regeneration

Honestly… I'm not sure. I had a hip replacement roughly 3 years back. My surgeon figured the other hip had about 10yrs left before I'd need to start thinking about dealing with it. Now, 3 years on, after 8 months on Reta and 120lbs lost, those first twinges of hip arthritis pain are showing up. Could it be that my improved fitness and higher activity are what's causing it?
 
AxlBundy said:

Honestly… I'm not sure. I had a hip replacement roughly 3 years back. My surgeon figured the other hip had about 10yrs left before I'd need to start thinking about dealing with it. Now, 3 years on, after 8 months on Reta and 120lbs lost, those first twinges of hip arthritis pain are showing up. Could it be that my improved fitness and higher activity are what's causing it?
That sounds rough. Do you run, or do any kind of training that loads the joints? Arthritis and poor hips run in my family. Back in 2020 the gyms shut down, so I took up running, and that's when really bad hip pain showed up, which made me quit.
 
Nope, running isn't part of my routine. Cycling, walking, and the elliptical make up all of my cardio. At 46, I'm in pretty good shape. So it's a real letdown to start feeling those first twinges of pain.
 
AxlBundy said:

Nope, running isn't part of my routine. Cycling, walking, and the elliptical make up all of my cardio. At 46, I'm in pretty good shape. So it's a real letdown to start feeling those first twinges of pain.
We're both the same age. For me, the bike and elliptical cause zero discomfort, yet somehow longer walks can set it off 🤷‍♀️

Beyond peptides, I'm on quite a few supplements to try to keep my hip pain in check. Testing showed my uric acid was high, and a few synthetic acidic foods set it off too, so identifying my triggers turned out to be useful. Right now I have to avoid anything with white vinegar (ACV is fine). Acetic and malic acid really did a number on me—bad enough that I couldn't sleep on that side because of the pain.

I hope you manage to work out what helps and get some relief!
 
Back in 2006 or so, I had surgery to fix my ACL. For the past 2 years, I've been taking Tirzepatide. When the weather turns humid or it rains, my knee still aches. That's just my personal take. Should things improve, I'll share an update.
 
Research into GLP1s and cartilage repair also involved hyaluronic acid. Only a VERY slight improvement was seen, roughly 17%. It isn't truly regrowth, since losing weight takes stress and pressure off cartilage, allowing it to expand a bit. Cartilage's built-in ability to regenerate is quite limited.
 
cujet said:

Research into GLP1s and cartilage repair also involved hyaluronic acid. Only a VERY slight improvement was seen, roughly 17%. It isn't truly regrowth, since losing weight takes stress and pressure off cartilage, allowing it to expand a bit. Cartilage's built-in ability to regenerate is quite limited.
How was the HA administered? Thanks!
 
CurlySlacker42 said:

cujet said:

Research into GLP1s and cartilage repair also involved hyaluronic acid. Only a VERY slight improvement was seen, roughly 17%. It isn't truly regrowth, since losing weight takes stress and pressure off cartilage, allowing it to expand a bit. Cartilage's built-in ability to regenerate is quite limited.
How was the HA administered? Thanks!
The way hyaluronic acid was given was through intra-articular injections straight into the knee joint.

One thing to keep in mind: on its own, HA did not lead to cartilage improvement, yet when GLP1 and HA were used together, it did.
 
I'm 58 and stay quite active. Over time I've had 2 meniscus tears, and every so often my knees act up. Reta did help me drop 15lbs, which means less load on those joints (and possibly the anti-inflammatory action of Reta played a part too), yet the discomfort still comes and goes. Just recently I began a Cartalax cycle — a peptide positioned around cartilage support, joint repair, and guarding against degenerative changes. Whether it produces anything I can actually feel is still up in the air.
 
Just sharing my own experience, nothing scientific here, but reta appears to be helping. Bilateral knee OA was my diagnosis 4 months back. The pain got severe after I overdid it with squats. PT for three months helped somewhat, though only marginally. After 1 month of reta at 2 mg weekly, roughly 95% of the pain has disappeared. My workouts are back to their usual routine.
 
Back
Top