GHK-Cu Test Shows 16.1% Copper, Above Theoretical Limit: Free Copper Concern? Need Advice!

findsource

Explorer
Joined
Jul 5, 2026
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Location
Germany
Hey everyone,

I just got back lab test/CoA results for a batch of GHK-Cu powder, and the elemental analysis came back with a copper concentration of 16.1%.

As far as I know, a pure GHK-Cu complex should max out at 15.81% copper. Because 16.1% sits above that stoichiometric ceiling for the pure peptide complex, I've got a few things I want to ask the community:

  1. Free Copper? Could going over that limit mean there's leftover, unbound copper salt left behind from sloppy manufacturing?
  2. Safety: Is this much free Cooper Injected dangerous? Orally, the body quickly binds the copper into a complex that's non toxic to the body, but what about free Copper injected straight into the body?
  3. Accept or Reject? Does this signal poor quality control overall? Is it safe to Inject?
I'd really like to hear from anyone who regularly reviews GHK-Cu CoAs. Thanks!

Here ist the COA: https://verify.janoshik.com/tests/216611-ghkcu_100mg_3QFBLGMLBTTN
 
ladyj779 said:

it's fine, even with very very very slightly more copper
That said, my understanding is that copper complexed within a GHK molecule or with other amino acids is not the same as free copper that gets injected straight into the body.
 
findsource said:

ladyj779 said:

it's fine, even with very very very slightly more copper
That said, my understanding is that copper complexed within a GHK molecule or with other amino acids is not the same as free copper that gets injected straight into the body.
Inquire about the error rate for this measurement
 
A zinc supplement taken 4 hours afterward can handle that. As I understand it, you need to wait 4 hours or more after ghk cu before taking zinc, otherwise the peptide's integrity is compromised. That way, zinc could neutralize any free copper.
 
findsource said:

What is the reason that free copper would be managed by zinc?
Before using a copper supplement, it makes sense to look into how GHK-Cu, copper, and zinc interact.

I would want to understand which elements it needs to work with for beneficial outcomes, and which ones might lead to unwanted effects, before adding it to my routine.
 
I get the whole copper-zinc equilibrium thing. What I'm missing is the pathway by which zinc is supposed to shield a person from unbound copper ions circulating in the body.

When copper is taken by mouth, it gets attached to amino acids right away before it reaches the bloodstream, because loose copper ions are harmful to the body. That's the reason GHK-Cu isn't toxic — it sits inside the GHK complex. But when there's extra copper in a sample, that copper never gets worked into the GHK complex. We can establish this because the copper value reported in the COA exceeds the ceiling of what could possibly be bound into the ghk complex. So with the batch described in that COA, what we'd be injecting is unbound copper ions that aren't attached to any complex.

I hope that lays it out more clearly, and apologies for any typos. English isn't my first language and my autocorrect is pretty weak.
 
findsource said:

I get the whole copper-zinc equilibrium thing. What I'm missing is the pathway by which zinc is supposed to shield a person from unbound copper ions circulating in the body.

When copper is taken by mouth, it gets attached to amino acids right away before it reaches the bloodstream, because loose copper ions are harmful to the body. That's the reason GHK-Cu isn't toxic — it sits inside the GHK complex. But when there's extra copper in a sample, that copper never gets worked into the GHK complex. We can establish this because the copper value reported in the COA exceeds the ceiling of what could possibly be bound into the ghk complex. So with the batch described in that COA, what we'd be injecting is unbound copper ions that aren't attached to any complex.

I hope that lays it out more clearly, and apologies for any typos. English isn't my first language and my autocorrect is pretty weak.

Adding GHK-Basic ought to take care of this issue. It works in my case! It also cuts down a great deal of the pain beneath the skin by “scavenging” surplus free copper ions.

“While GHK Basic itself is copper-free, its primary biological function is intrinsically linked to copper. Its histidine residue has a high affinity for copper (II) ions, allowing it to act as a natural copper carrier. It modulates the expression of over 4,000 human genes, influencing pathways involved in tissue remodeling, oxidative stress response, and inflammation. Its gene-regulating effects are often studied in comparison to its copper-bound form.”
 
findsource said:

I get the whole copper-zinc equilibrium thing. What I'm missing is the pathway by which zinc is supposed to shield a person from unbound copper ions circulating in the body.

When copper is taken by mouth, it gets attached to amino acids right away before it reaches the bloodstream, because loose copper ions are harmful to the body. That's the reason GHK-Cu isn't toxic — it sits inside the GHK complex. But when there's extra copper in a sample, that copper never gets worked into the GHK complex. We can establish this because the copper value reported in the COA exceeds the ceiling of what could possibly be bound into the ghk complex. So with the batch described in that COA, what we'd be injecting is unbound copper ions that aren't attached to any complex.

I hope that lays it out more clearly, and apologies for any typos. English isn't my first language and my autocorrect is pretty weak.

Turns out I had it backwards in what I wrote below. According to AI, taking zinc by mouth won't strip copper out of tissues or the bloodstream. So that's where things stand. Even so, copper does have a daily ceiling once you go past 10mg.

Do you think that anything swallowed never gets taken up and never reaches the rest of the body? In Williams syndrome, as I understand it, those individuals are unable to clear copper, and zinc supplements are what they're given to help.
 
moodymama76 said:

A zinc supplement taken 4 hours afterward can handle that. As I understand it, you need to wait 4 hours or more after ghk cu before taking zinc, otherwise the peptide's integrity is compromised. That way, zinc could neutralize any free copper.
I've used ghk-cu for roughly 6-7 months, and 2 blood tests came back showing low zinc. Pretty sure I've figured out what's behind it. Zinc supplementation is a good idea, just don't take it alongside ghk-cu
 
AlexSilver said:


The addition of GHK-Basic should solve your problem. Works for me! Also removes a lot of the under the skin pain by “scavenging” excess free copper ions.

“While GHK Basic itself is copper-free, its primary biological function is intrinsically linked to copper. Its histidine residue has a high affinity for copper (II) ions, allowing it to act as a natural copper carrier. It modulates the expression of over 4,000 human genes, influencing pathways involved in tissue remodeling, oxidative stress response, and inflammation. Its gene-regulating effects are often studied in comparison to its copper-bound form.”

Click to expand...
Hey! I'm new to this space and planning to give GHK-Cu a shot (still weighing whether to use it solo or pick KLOW instead). Could someone explain what "GHK-Basic" refers to? Also, should I get bloodwork done that looks specifically at copper and zinc levels?
 
AlexSilver said:


The addition of GHK-Basic should solve your problem. Works for me! Also removes a lot of the under the skin pain by “scavenging” excess free copper ions.

“While GHK Basic itself is copper-free, its primary biological function is intrinsically linked to copper. Its histidine residue has a high affinity for copper (II) ions, allowing it to act as a natural copper carrier. It modulates the expression of over 4,000 human genes, influencing pathways involved in tissue remodeling, oxidative stress response, and inflammation. Its gene-regulating effects are often studied in comparison to its copper-bound form.”

Click to expand...
I had the same reaction. If anything, the skin irritation points toward leftover free copper in the sample rather than the GHK-Cu compound on its own.

So your approach is to take some already reconstituted ghk and add it into your already reconstituted GHK-Cu?
 
findsource said:


Yes that's what I also thought. The skin irritation is rather a sign of excess free copper in the samples than from GHK-Cu itself.

So you just mix a bit of reconstituted ghk into you reconstituted ghk-cu

Click to expand...
Yeah, I go with a 1 to 1 ratio when I blend it, though I'm aware some folks go lighter on the basic than I do. Everything gets mixed into a pen cartridge for me; other people steer clear of pens and simply combine it in a larger vial instead. Adding KPV is a popular move too. Hard to argue with that. KPV is a favorite of mine.



After that, so you don't end up with skin that's sore and itchy: when you're using a pen, make absolutely sure the tip has zero residue on it, not even a microscopic amount. If your method is drawing from a vial, wipe down the needle with an alcohol wipe prior to pinning.

CuriousV said:


Hi! New here, about to try GHK-Cu (still deciding if I want to run it on its own or go with KLOW). What is "GHK-Basic"? And would you suggest doing bloodwork to specifically check both copper and zinc levels?

Click to expand...

Look, bloodwork should always be part of your routine so you have a sense of where your health stands. That said, no — in my view copper testing isn't necessary just because you're pinning GHK-cu. Plenty of people have had theirs checked and it came back normal or even on the low side, myself included.

Odds are you're already low on zinc, so try to source a whole food zinc supplement rather than the chemical version, which keeps you from building up excess zinc. I'm not a doctor, and none of this should be taken as medical advice, etc.

GHK-Basic (no copper)

  1. Signaling Molecule for Tissue Repair: GHK Basic works as an endogenous signal that gets released when tissue is injured, setting off processes such as fibroblast migration and gene expression changes tied to repair and regeneration. It shows up in human plasma, saliva, and urine, with levels dropping from ~200 ng/mL at age 20 to ~80 ng/mL at age 60.
  2. Potent Antioxidant Activity: GHK Basic is a strong scavenger of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and cytotoxic byproducts of lipid peroxidation (e.g., acrolein and 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal). At 10µM, it can reduce ROS levels by nearly 50% in cells. Its capacity to quench hydroxyl radicals exceeds that of glutathione (GSH), a major cellular antioxidant.
  3. Anti-Inflammatory Effects: In cellular models, GHK Basic lowers the expression of key pro-inflammatory cytokines like TNF-α and IL-6. It modulates inflammatory pathways, including NF-κB and p38 MAPK signaling, which are central regulators of the body's inflammatory response.
  4. Copper Homeostasis and Gene Regulation: Even though GHK Basic is copper-free on its own, its main biological role is tightly connected to copper. Its histidine residue binds copper (II) ions with high affinity, which lets it serve as a natural copper carrier. It modulates the expression of over 4,000 human genes, influencing pathways involved in tissue remodeling, oxidative stress response, and inflammation. Its gene-regulating effects are often studied in comparison to its copper-bound form.
 
A reading of 16.1% versus the theoretical ~15.8% amounts to just a few tenths of a percent. Typically that falls within assay noise, moisture content, or differences in salt form — it does not establish that free unbound copper is present. On its own, an elemental copper number on a COA is unable to distinguish bound from unbound. Should doubt persist, request the method and its uncertainty (and preferably a test that directly addresses the complex, such as UV-Vis around 525 nm or a proper Cu😛eptide molar ratio) instead of discarding the batch purely because of that slight excess.
 
John_C said:

A reading of 16.1% versus the theoretical ~15.8% amounts to just a few tenths of a percent. Typically that falls within assay noise, moisture content, or differences in salt form — it does not establish that free unbound copper is present. On its own, an elemental copper number on a COA is unable to distinguish bound from unbound. Should doubt persist, request the method and its uncertainty (and preferably a test that directly addresses the complex, such as UV-Vis around 525 nm or a proper Cu😛eptide molar ratio) instead of discarding the batch purely because of that slight excess.
I get that, but based on what I know about basic chemistry, hitting the exact copper amount for GHK-Cu is difficult. So it seems producers should lean toward using a bit less copper than GHK requires. That means the result should be slightly under 15.8% rather than above it.

Still, I do like the approach of adding basic GHK into the GHK-Cu so any extra copper gets bound. I don't have it on hand right now, though I might pick some up before long.
 
Back
Top