Ghk-cu separation

john_askins

Explorer
Joined
Dec 16, 2025
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable
 
What is that mixing device called? I've been using a tattoo ink mixer I got from Amazon. Ever since I ran it along the edges, separation hasn't happened. I do move it into a different airless pump, though I doubt that makes a difference. Isn't this The Ordinary 2% HA?
 
john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
 
joseblo said:

What is that mixing device called? I've been using a tattoo ink mixer I got from Amazon. Ever since I ran it along the edges, separation hasn't happened. I do move it into a different airless pump, though I doubt that makes a difference. Isn't this The Ordinary 2% HA?
The tattoo ink spinner/mixer is what I use too. Whenever I need the serum, I've been running it through that. I was truly hoping to find some method to keep it suspended. And yes, it's the Ordinary 2%.
 
CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
Shoot. I suspected that would be the case, though I was wishing it wasn't. Appreciate it.
 
john_askins said:

CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
Shoot. I suspected that would be the case, though I was wishing it wasn't. Appreciate it.

My approach is to take the unprocessed powder and mix it directly into an inexpensive serum that comes with copper already included, meaning an emulsifier is present from the start. The price is roughly equivalent to a basic hyaluronic acid serum.

Give it a light stir now and then. Full dissolution requires 1 to 2 days, but the settling issue never happens for me.
 
AlexSilver said:

john_askins said:

CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
Shoot. I suspected that would be the case, though I was wishing it wasn't. Appreciate it.

My approach is to take the unprocessed powder and mix it directly into an inexpensive serum that comes with copper already included, meaning an emulsifier is present from the start. The price is roughly equivalent to a basic hyaluronic acid serum.

Give it a light stir now and then. Full dissolution requires 1 to 2 days, but the settling issue never happens for me.
Ahh, that explains why I'm not dealing with this! I had no idea about that small detail.
 
Could you share the link for the product you're using?

AlexSilver said:

john_askins said:

CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
Shoot. I suspected that would be the case, though I was wishing it wasn't. Appreciate it.

My approach is to take the unprocessed powder and mix it directly into an inexpensive serum that comes with copper already included, meaning an emulsifier is present from the start. The price is roughly equivalent to a basic hyaluronic acid serum.

Give it a light stir now and then. Full dissolution requires 1 to 2 days, but the settling issue never happens for me.
 
CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
Exactly. In a formulation like this, the proper term is actually a solubilizer—otherwise you'll wind up with an emulsion (lotions, creams).

AlexSilver said:

john_askins said:

CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
Shoot. I suspected that would be the case, though I was wishing it wasn't. Appreciate it.

My approach is to take the unprocessed powder and mix it directly into an inexpensive serum that comes with copper already included, meaning an emulsifier is present from the start. The price is roughly equivalent to a basic hyaluronic acid serum.

Give it a light stir now and then. Full dissolution requires 1 to 2 days, but the settling issue never happens for me.
Consider yourself fortunate, my friend. That approach may have succeeded in your case, but it won't succeed for everyone. And the copper is certainly not distributed uniformly through the solution.

What matters more with these DIY experiments, however, is contamination. Any DIY formulation that wasn't made from scratch using a proper solubilizer, stabilizer, and preservative system should be kept refrigerated, and used within a short window.
 
john_askins said:

Could you share the link for the product you're using?

AlexSilver said:

john_askins said:

CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
Shoot. I suspected that would be the case, though I was wishing it wasn't. Appreciate it.

My approach is to take the unprocessed powder and mix it directly into an inexpensive serum that comes with copper already included, meaning an emulsifier is present from the start. The price is roughly equivalent to a basic hyaluronic acid serum.

Give it a light stir now and then. Full dissolution requires 1 to 2 days, but the settling issue never happens for me.

This is the type I normally go with, though I noticed the cost climbed by a few dollars at some point over the past few months.... lucky I stocked up back when they cost just $7.

Also, make sure you move it into a dark-colored bottle, or put black tape around it or do something similar so no light gets in.


https://www.ebay.com/itm/398036445532
 
miameow said:

CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
Exactly. In a formulation like this, the proper term is actually a solubilizer—otherwise you'll wind up with an emulsion (lotions, creams).

AlexSilver said:

john_askins said:

CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
Shoot. I suspected that would be the case, though I was wishing it wasn't. Appreciate it.

My approach is to take the unprocessed powder and mix it directly into an inexpensive serum that comes with copper already included, meaning an emulsifier is present from the start. The price is roughly equivalent to a basic hyaluronic acid serum.

Give it a light stir now and then. Full dissolution requires 1 to 2 days, but the settling issue never happens for me.
Consider yourself fortunate, my friend. That approach may have succeeded in your case, but it won't succeed for everyone. And the copper is certainly not distributed uniformly through the solution.

What matters more with these DIY experiments, however, is contamination. Any DIY formulation that wasn't made from scratch using a proper solubilizer, stabilizer, and preservative system should be kept refrigerated, and used within a short window.

I never ran any tests on it, but the color comes out uniform and smooth every time, and both my GF and I are getting solid results from it.
 
miameow said:

CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
Exactly. In a formulation like this, the proper term is actually a solubilizer—otherwise you'll wind up with an emulsion (lotions, creams).

AlexSilver said:

john_askins said:

CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
Shoot. I suspected that would be the case, though I was wishing it wasn't. Appreciate it.

My approach is to take the unprocessed powder and mix it directly into an inexpensive serum that comes with copper already included, meaning an emulsifier is present from the start. The price is roughly equivalent to a basic hyaluronic acid serum.

Give it a light stir now and then. Full dissolution requires 1 to 2 days, but the settling issue never happens for me.
Consider yourself fortunate, my friend. That approach may have succeeded in your case, but it won't succeed for everyone. And the copper is certainly not distributed uniformly through the solution.

What matters more with these DIY experiments, however, is contamination. Any DIY formulation that wasn't made from scratch using a proper solubilizer, stabilizer, and preservative system should be kept refrigerated, and used within a short window.
I've been preparing these myself with germall added — does it still need to go in the fridge?
 
From what I've found personally when combining ghk-cu into an H acid serum: 2% appears to be the sweet spot in my case. If I go above that, clumping happens and it sinks to the bottom. My approach is to use bac water for reconstitution and wait until everything is completely dissolved, then introduce it into the serum.
 
john_askins said:

miameow said:

CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
Exactly. In a formulation like this, the proper term is actually a solubilizer—otherwise you'll wind up with an emulsion (lotions, creams).

AlexSilver said:

john_askins said:

CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
Shoot. I suspected that would be the case, though I was wishing it wasn't. Appreciate it.

My approach is to take the unprocessed powder and mix it directly into an inexpensive serum that comes with copper already included, meaning an emulsifier is present from the start. The price is roughly equivalent to a basic hyaluronic acid serum.

Give it a light stir now and then. Full dissolution requires 1 to 2 days, but the settling issue never happens for me.
Consider yourself fortunate, my friend. That approach may have succeeded in your case, but it won't succeed for everyone. And the copper is certainly not distributed uniformly through the solution.

What matters more with these DIY experiments, however, is contamination. Any DIY formulation that wasn't made from scratch using a proper solubilizer, stabilizer, and preservative system should be kept refrigerated, and used within a short window.
I've been preparing these myself with germall added — does it still need to go in the fridge?
The reason for refrigeration is to maintain Ghk-Cu's stability. When you're adding it to a pre-made product, Germall Plus isn't needed.
 
AlexSilver said:

miameow said:

CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
Exactly. In a formulation like this, the proper term is actually a solubilizer—otherwise you'll wind up with an emulsion (lotions, creams).

AlexSilver said:

john_askins said:

CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
Shoot. I suspected that would be the case, though I was wishing it wasn't. Appreciate it.

My approach is to take the unprocessed powder and mix it directly into an inexpensive serum that comes with copper already included, meaning an emulsifier is present from the start. The price is roughly equivalent to a basic hyaluronic acid serum.

Give it a light stir now and then. Full dissolution requires 1 to 2 days, but the settling issue never happens for me.
Consider yourself fortunate, my friend. That approach may have succeeded in your case, but it won't succeed for everyone. And the copper is certainly not distributed uniformly through the solution.

What matters more with these DIY experiments, however, is contamination. Any DIY formulation that wasn't made from scratch using a proper solubilizer, stabilizer, and preservative system should be kept refrigerated, and used within a short window.

I never ran any tests on it, but the color comes out uniform and smooth every time, and both my GF and I are getting solid results from it.
Look, you may be fortunate once more, and I truly hope that keeps holding true for you. Yet how something looks does not confirm uniform distribution, stability, or preservation. A color that appears smooth and even tells you nothing about whether the copper is spread consistently, whether the formulation is still stable, or whether the preservative system still works after you have modified the product.

john_askins said:

miameow said:

CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
Exactly. In a formulation like this, the proper term is actually a solubilizer—otherwise you'll wind up with an emulsion (lotions, creams).

AlexSilver said:

john_askins said:

CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
Shoot. I suspected that would be the case, though I was wishing it wasn't. Appreciate it.

My approach is to take the unprocessed powder and mix it directly into an inexpensive serum that comes with copper already included, meaning an emulsifier is present from the start. The price is roughly equivalent to a basic hyaluronic acid serum.

Give it a light stir now and then. Full dissolution requires 1 to 2 days, but the settling issue never happens for me.
Consider yourself fortunate, my friend. That approach may have succeeded in your case, but it won't succeed for everyone. And the copper is certainly not distributed uniformly through the solution.

What matters more with these DIY experiments, however, is contamination. Any DIY formulation that wasn't made from scratch using a proper solubilizer, stabilizer, and preservative system should be kept refrigerated, and used within a short window.
I've been preparing these myself with germall added — does it still need to go in the fridge?
I am hoping you meant Germall Plus rather than Germall. It is good that you are putting in another preservative, but refrigeration would still be my recommendation.

The problem is this: the moment GHK-Cu raw powder goes into a pre-made product, the original formulation is no longer what it was. Whether the GHK-Cu, the preservative, the stabilizers, and the rest of the ingredients are uniformly distributed or still doing their jobs is something you cannot really know. Refrigeration adds a layer of safety; it does not make anything certain.

CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

miameow said:

CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
Exactly. In a formulation like this, the proper term is actually a solubilizer—otherwise you'll wind up with an emulsion (lotions, creams).

AlexSilver said:

john_askins said:

CandyCap said:

john_askins said:

What can I do to keep it from separating? I used 2mL of sterile water to reconstitute. I poured it directly into the serum. It still sinks to the bottom every time. I got a spinner device to stir it back together, but that's a hassle. 1g in 30mL serum

Image unavailable

To keep this from happening, you'd have to make the formula yourself rather than starting with premasexserum, and add an emulsifier into the mix.

As for me, I give mine a good shake right before I use it.
Shoot. I suspected that would be the case, though I was wishing it wasn't. Appreciate it.

My approach is to take the unprocessed powder and mix it directly into an inexpensive serum that comes with copper already included, meaning an emulsifier is present from the start. The price is roughly equivalent to a basic hyaluronic acid serum.

Give it a light stir now and then. Full dissolution requires 1 to 2 days, but the settling issue never happens for me.
Consider yourself fortunate, my friend. That approach may have succeeded in your case, but it won't succeed for everyone. And the copper is certainly not distributed uniformly through the solution.

What matters more with these DIY experiments, however, is contamination. Any DIY formulation that wasn't made from scratch using a proper solubilizer, stabilizer, and preservative system should be kept refrigerated, and used within a short window.
I've been preparing these myself with germall added — does it still need to go in the fridge?
The reason for refrigeration is to maintain Ghk-Cu's stability. When you're adding it to a pre-made product, Germall Plus isn't needed.
No, that is completely wrong.

Keeping it cold is not only about GHK-Cu stability. It also lowers microbial risk, particularly in hot conditions and particularly once a pre-made formula has been altered. On top of that, cosmetic formulations face contamination repeatedly during use, which is not the case with peptides.

Once you bring in something new, the original preservative system is not assured to keep working. The pH, dispersion, solubility, and overall stability are each impacted to some degree.

Do not hand people misplaced confidence about preservation. Homemade topical products have caused genuine serious harm; these are not hypothetical worries.
 
[/QUOTE]

No, that is completely wrong.

Keeping it cold isn't only about GHK-Cu staying stable. It also lowers the chance of microbes growing, particularly when it's hot out and particularly once you've changed a ready-made formula. On top of that, cosmetics get repeatedly contaminated while being used, which isn't the case with peptides.

Once you add something new, there's no promise the original preservative system will still work. To some degree, pH, dispersion, solubility, and overall stability all get affected.

Please don't hand people false confidence about preservation. Homemade topical products have caused real serious harm; these aren't just hypothetical worries.

[/QUOTE]

I make bath and body products (professionally, not as a hobbyist). In most situations I'd agree that putting in an extra ingredient could be a big concern, but I think you're overreacting. GHK-Cu is widely recognized as something that gets along fine with other (non-acidic) body product ingredients. Usually I'm the first one shouting exactly what you're shouting when there's a problem. If this were a liquid, I'd probably agree more.

If I said something like "it's fine to add peach puree to your body lotion," then I'd get why you reacted that way (and I have actually seen people say that on forums).

Anyway, I'm off to sleep after a terrible migraine.
 
Back
Top