Getting protein in when you're not hungry

17albanch

Explorer
Joined
Sep 9, 2026
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
texas/dallas
I've been wondering how folks manage their protein intake once a GLP-1 kills their appetite.

Hitting my protein goal usually isn't an issue for me, but on days when eating feels like a chore, I can tell it would get tough.

Do you switch up your food choices to make protein easier to get down, or do you just eat your usual meals?
 
I realize I'm an outlier since I follow a carnivore diet. Still, the advice most people would give is to adjust what you eat. Make protein the first thing you consume, ahead of everything else. Otherwise, you might fall short. Muscle loss while taking these medications happens VERY OFTEN. Also include weight-bearing exercise.
 
17albanch said:

I've been wondering how folks manage their protein intake once a GLP-1 kills their appetite.

Hitting my protein goal usually isn't an issue for me, but on days when eating feels like a chore, I can tell it would get tough.

Do you switch up your food choices to make protein easier to get down, or do you just eat your usual meals?
During my weight-loss phase, my routine was fairly simple: in the morning I relied on protein powder plus yogurt that provided 20g per serving, midday I had a protein bar, and in the evening I ate chicken or pork...the total grams weren't high, yet it appeared to carry me from A to B...
 
I'm on board with prioritizing protein. I look for little ways to work it into what I already eat each day.

For my coffee, I stopped using plant milk and now add part of a protein shake instead — not the entire shake.
 
HereKittyKitty said:

I'm on board with prioritizing protein. I look for little ways to work it into what I already eat each day.

For my coffee, I stopped using plant milk and now add part of a protein shake instead — not the entire shake.
My usual afternoon pick-me-up: coffee mixed with 1/3 of a vanilla shake 🙂
 
Shittersfull said:

I realize I'm an outlier since I follow a carnivore diet. Still, the advice most people would give is to adjust what you eat. Make protein the first thing you consume, ahead of everything else. Otherwise, you might fall short. Muscle loss while taking these medications happens VERY OFTEN. Also include weight-bearing exercise.
Same here. I wouldn't call myself carnivore since I do eat a bit of carbs, but my diet leans heavily on animal products and dairy. Protein and fat come first; only if I'm still hungry do I touch the carbs.
 
I say this constantly, both on the internet and face to face: order a “venti sugar free iced protein caramel latte with salted caramel cold foam” at Starbucks. If you end up just as hooked as I got, you can whip them up yourself with Fairlife skim, blending decaf with cold brew so you don't overdo the caffeine. For the cold foam, use 2% Fairlife. I drink 3 or 4 of these every day. Each one has 15g whey isolate plus roughly 10g from the milk. In 1 of them I throw in another 10g protein from collagen. Combined with the milk and whey, that's substantial enough. These alone give me 80-100g per day. Adding extra whey to any of them would be simple. You also stay well hydrated.

p.s. give egg life noodles a shot, prepared whichever way you like, and mix in Kraft fat free mozzarella wherever it fits. The macros are unbeatable and with a bit of culinary skill both taste great
 
It's genuinely tough. I aim for 200g of protein daily. Since my appetite has come back, I'm at last increasing my tirz dose today. I usually get most of my protein ready over the weekend. I really don't want to drop any more muscle.
 
For the vast majority, reaching 120 is enough, provided they aren't inactive all day. If someone gets 120 and also takes a solid 30 minute walk, they'll drop a healthy amount of weight without putting muscle at risk. Naturally this isn't a permanent approach… it's simply that on any single day, doing only this won't do you harm
 
Sources

Protein Shake *when solid food is unappealing, go with a drink

Ultra Filtered Milk *

Eggs

Cottage Cheese

Yogurt

Kefir

Actual Meat: Chicken, Salmon, Pork, Beef
 
Back
Top