Gastroscopy while on Retatrutide

vale113

Explorer
Joined
Apr 12, 2026
Messages
154
Reaction score
0
Location
Italia
Hey all, I've got a gastroscopy coming up as part of a routine check. Retatrutide has been part of my routine for 2 months now. When do I need to pause it ahead of the procedure? Anyone been through this themselves? A friend of mine who's a doctor told me it has no effect on digestion speed. My feeling is he doesn't really know Retatrutide and is just guessing.
 
According to AI, you should stop 1-2 weeks beforehand. I underwent an endoscopy not long ago, and I halted it 8 days prior, with no problems at all.
 
CMA Pooky said:

According to AI, you should stop 1-2 weeks beforehand. I underwent an endoscopy not long ago, and I halted it 8 days prior, with no problems at all.
My procedure got moved up to Friday, and my last injection was the Thursday before. If 8 days worked out fine in your case, then I should be okay to go ahead. I'd also considered skipping food for the entire day before.
 
Peptide_J said:

I’m also due for mine shortly, so I’m interested in hearing about this too
On the 26th of this month I've got both a colonoscopy and an endoscopy scheduled for the same day. My most recent injection was on the 15th. I'm hoping everything will be fine and I'll be able to proceed.
 
Different countries handle this differently. In my area, the rule is that you must cease the medication 2 weeks beforehand, plus follow a clear liquid diet for 24 hours leading up to the procedure. If I were in your position, I would also make my pre-procedure fast longer, stretching it as far as you can manage.

Most importantly, you absolutely must inform your anaesthetist/anaesthesiologist before the procedure that you are taking this medication. Should they not know it, make it clear to them that it works in a similar way to ozempic/mounjaro. The majority of doctors will never have heard of Reta, though they would recognise the others.

I once was in the room for a Gastroscopy performed on a patient using tirzepatide. It was genuinely possible to see + identify the precise food he had eaten the previous night, because it was still sitting in his stomach without having been digested.
 
Here in the US, the American Society of Anesthesiologists updated its guidance not long ago, and stopping GLP medications is no longer something they require of patients. A lot of practices, though, appear to still be working off the old policies. My suggestion would be to push back if you're told you have to stop. They might not budge, but for most people stopping really shouldn't be necessary.
 
5byfive said:

Here in the US, the American Society of Anesthesiologists updated its guidance not long ago, and stopping GLP medications is no longer something they require of patients. A lot of practices, though, appear to still be working off the old policies. My suggestion would be to push back if you're told you have to stop. They might not budge, but for most people stopping really shouldn't be necessary.
Also, what about any food still sitting in your stomach? In the days before the procedure, should your diet be adjusted?
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

Peptide_J said:

I’m also due for mine shortly, so I’m interested in hearing about this too
On the 26th of this month I've got both a colonoscopy and an endoscopy scheduled for the same day. My most recent injection was on the 15th. I'm hoping everything will be fine and I'll be able to proceed.
were they performed? is all fine?
 
On the 26th of this month I had a colonoscopy, after 9 days without Rita and Triz, and there were no problems. Based on what I have seen, a single week is not something I would choose.
 
vale113 said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

Peptide_J said:

I’m also due for mine shortly, so I’m interested in hearing about this too
On the 26th of this month I've got both a colonoscopy and an endoscopy scheduled for the same day. My most recent injection was on the 15th. I'm hoping everything will be fine and I'll be able to proceed.
were they performed? is all fine?
Ugh, no — turns out I've got some separate problems, and they've decided to hold off. I'm scheduled for both the throat and butt procedures, and I asked for anesthesia. But my potassium is through the roof?; fuuuuuckkkkk. I'm heading back early next week to get it retested.

I allowed myself to become way too fucking fat, and now it's causing health problems 🙁
 
harradm said:

On the 26th of this month I had a colonoscopy, after 9 days without Rita and Triz, and there were no problems. Based on what I have seen, a single week is not something I would choose.
In your opinion, does a longer wait make sense? What's the reason?
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

vale113 said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

Peptide_J said:

I’m also due for mine shortly, so I’m interested in hearing about this too
On the 26th of this month I've got both a colonoscopy and an endoscopy scheduled for the same day. My most recent injection was on the 15th. I'm hoping everything will be fine and I'll be able to proceed.
were they performed? is all fine?
Ugh, no — turns out I've got some separate problems, and they've decided to hold off. I'm scheduled for both the throat and butt procedures, and I asked for anesthesia. But my potassium is through the roof?; fuuuuuckkkkk. I'm heading back early next week to get it retested.

I allowed myself to become way too fucking fat, and now it's causing health problems 🙁
I truly apologize
 
vale113 said:

harradm said:

On the 26th of this month I had a colonoscopy, after 9 days without Rita and Triz, and there were no problems. Based on what I have seen, a single week is not something I would choose.
In your opinion, does a longer wait make sense? What's the reason?
A week wouldn't be something I'd rely on either. My plan is to do my final injection on the 29th, and if my latest labs even allow the procedure to go ahead, that leaves 10 days before it. The new scheduled date is june 10th.

His reluctance to accept a shorter gap comes down to this: if there's too much food sitting in your gut during these procedures, they fail. Doctors have no way of seeing inside you, so the whole thing is wasted. To get a proper result, you'd have to repeat the entire process. Gastric slowing is real.
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

vale113 said:

harradm said:

On the 26th of this month I had a colonoscopy, after 9 days without Rita and Triz, and there were no problems. Based on what I have seen, a single week is not something I would choose.
In your opinion, does a longer wait make sense? What's the reason?
A week wouldn't be something I'd rely on either. My plan is to do my final injection on the 29th, and if my latest labs even allow the procedure to go ahead, that leaves 10 days before it. The new scheduled date is june 10th.

His reluctance to accept a shorter gap comes down to this: if there's too much food sitting in your gut during these procedures, they fail. Doctors have no way of seeing inside you, so the whole thing is wasted. To get a proper result, you'd have to repeat the entire process. Gastric slowing is real.
I assumed you were referring to a far longer period than 10 days. Gastric slowdown is something I'm aware of, and I'd want to know whether skipping solid food for the day prior could work without running into a full stomach issue.
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

vale113 said:

harradm said:

On the 26th of this month I had a colonoscopy, after 9 days without Rita and Triz, and there were no problems. Based on what I have seen, a single week is not something I would choose.
In your opinion, does a longer wait make sense? What's the reason?
A week wouldn't be something I'd rely on either. My plan is to do my final injection on the 29th, and if my latest labs even allow the procedure to go ahead, that leaves 10 days before it. The new scheduled date is june 10th.

His reluctance to accept a shorter gap comes down to this: if there's too much food sitting in your gut during these procedures, they fail. Doctors have no way of seeing inside you, so the whole thing is wasted. To get a proper result, you'd have to repeat the entire process. Gastric slowing is real.

That's exactly right!
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

vale113 said:

harradm said:

On the 26th of this month I had a colonoscopy, after 9 days without Rita and Triz, and there were no problems. Based on what I have seen, a single week is not something I would choose.
In your opinion, does a longer wait make sense? What's the reason?
A week wouldn't be something I'd rely on either. My plan is to do my final injection on the 29th, and if my latest labs even allow the procedure to go ahead, that leaves 10 days before it. The new scheduled date is june 10th.

His reluctance to accept a shorter gap comes down to this: if there's too much food sitting in your gut during these procedures, they fail. Doctors have no way of seeing inside you, so the whole thing is wasted. To get a proper result, you'd have to repeat the entire process. Gastric slowing is real.
When I went for mine back in March, they never told me to pause the GLP-1 injection—they said it wasn't a problem. As for every supplement I'm on, though, they had me stop those 7 days ahead.
 
CNCCurrency said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

vale113 said:

harradm said:

On the 26th of this month I had a colonoscopy, after 9 days without Rita and Triz, and there were no problems. Based on what I have seen, a single week is not something I would choose.
In your opinion, does a longer wait make sense? What's the reason?
A week wouldn't be something I'd rely on either. My plan is to do my final injection on the 29th, and if my latest labs even allow the procedure to go ahead, that leaves 10 days before it. The new scheduled date is june 10th.

His reluctance to accept a shorter gap comes down to this: if there's too much food sitting in your gut during these procedures, they fail. Doctors have no way of seeing inside you, so the whole thing is wasted. To get a proper result, you'd have to repeat the entire process. Gastric slowing is real.
When I went for mine back in March, they never told me to pause the GLP-1 injection—they said it wasn't a problem. As for every supplement I'm on, though, they had me stop those 7 days ahead.
Did you change anything about what you ate?
 
Back
Top