Fun Fact: GLP1's origins trace back to a venomous lizard — the Gila monster

DjJoshua

Explorer
Joined
Jan 11, 2026
Messages
345
Reaction score
0
Location
Utah
Just came across this,

GLP-1 drugs owe their beginnings to the venom — or more accurately, the saliva/venom secretions — of the Gila monster, a venomous lizard native to the southwestern United States.



e155521b3b41df610d485c755e4a722d901a8ac2f546e5f65ff3adc9d8405760.png




Exenatide — History & Discovery



A toxic desert lizard, a determined researcher at a Bronx VA hospital, and a government that wouldn't patent the finding — that's the improbable tale of…

Image unavailable


peptideinitiative.com
 
Back in the late 2000's, if someone had told me that Gila monster spit would be the key to losing weight—and I actually bought it—I would have gone out and gotten a pet Gila monster immediately. Me and Mr. Spittles would have been locking lips daily until I could squeeze into those size 7 L.E.I. jeans (which, these days, I can wear without any of that).
 
Back
Top