Full Reta cycle and how to taper off Reta

Shadow27

Explorer
Joined
Apr 15, 2026
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
PA
Hey everyone! Tomorrow marks 8 weeks on Reta, heading into week 9, and the results have been great — I've paired it with a consistent gym routine 6-7 days per week plus a high protein diet. My starting dose was .5 mg, and this week I've titrated up to 6.5mg.

I've come across different approaches: some folks run Reta for 12 weeks and then cycle off, others stay on it until they reach their target body weight, or until they're at a really high weekly amount like 12-13mg and then stop.

For those of you with Reta experience, what has worked best? And once I do decide to cycle off, how fast would you suggest tapering back down — both in terms of weeks and example mg dosages — before taking a break?

Also, for anyone who has run multiple Reta cycles, how long do you usually pause and let your body rest before starting again? (I've heard something in the range of 4-8 weeks)

Thanks everyone! 🤙🏻💪🏻
 
Shadow27 said:

Hey everyone! Tomorrow marks 8 weeks on Reta, heading into week 9, and the results have been great — I've paired it with a consistent gym routine 6-7 days per week plus a high protein diet. My starting dose was .5 mg, and this week I've titrated up to 6.5mg.

I've come across different approaches: some folks run Reta for 12 weeks and then cycle off, others stay on it until they reach their target body weight, or until they're at a really high weekly amount like 12-13mg and then stop.

For those of you with Reta experience, what has worked best? And once I do decide to cycle off, how fast would you suggest tapering back down — both in terms of weeks and example mg dosages — before taking a break?

Also, for anyone who has run multiple Reta cycles, how long do you usually pause and let your body rest before starting again? (I've heard something in the range of 4-8 weeks)

Thanks everyone! 🤙🏻💪🏻
For the majority of folks on Reta, obesity is a chronic, long-term condition — and many of us have accepted that this will likely be a lifelong medication. There are those taking it for bodybuilding purposes, or simply to shed a few pounds, who might be able to stop and keep their results. Still, my sense is that most users have been through too many cycles of losing and regaining weight to make anything short of a long-term commitment work.
 
RoadRash said:

Shadow27 said:

Hey everyone! Tomorrow marks 8 weeks on Reta, heading into week 9, and the results have been great — I've paired it with a consistent gym routine 6-7 days per week plus a high protein diet. My starting dose was .5 mg, and this week I've titrated up to 6.5mg.

I've come across different approaches: some folks run Reta for 12 weeks and then cycle off, others stay on it until they reach their target body weight, or until they're at a really high weekly amount like 12-13mg and then stop.

For those of you with Reta experience, what has worked best? And once I do decide to cycle off, how fast would you suggest tapering back down — both in terms of weeks and example mg dosages — before taking a break?

Also, for anyone who has run multiple Reta cycles, how long do you usually pause and let your body rest before starting again? (I've heard something in the range of 4-8 weeks)

Thanks everyone! 🤙🏻💪🏻
For the majority of folks on Reta, obesity is a chronic, long-term condition — and many of us have accepted that this will likely be a lifelong medication. There are those taking it for bodybuilding purposes, or simply to shed a few pounds, who might be able to stop and keep their results. Still, my sense is that most users have been through too many cycles of losing and regaining weight to make anything short of a long-term commitment work.
Understood, that makes sense. I’m 23 and fairly young, and my reason for taking it is to get leaner — from 35% body fat down to 9-10%, and I’m at 20% at the moment. My plan was to stay on it until I reach that target, then stop, and rely on the better routines I’ve built to hold a lower body fat percentage.

What I’m really unsure about, though, is the right way to taper off, and if I later decide I need it again, how long should I stay off before restarting?
 
Shadow27 said:

Hey everyone! Tomorrow marks 8 weeks on Reta, heading into week 9, and the results have been great — I've paired it with a consistent gym routine 6-7 days per week plus a high protein diet. My starting dose was .5 mg, and this week I've titrated up to 6.5mg.

I've come across different approaches: some folks run Reta for 12 weeks and then cycle off, others stay on it until they reach their target body weight, or until they're at a really high weekly amount like 12-13mg and then stop.

For those of you with Reta experience, what has worked best? And once I do decide to cycle off, how fast would you suggest tapering back down — both in terms of weeks and example mg dosages — before taking a break?

Also, for anyone who has run multiple Reta cycles, how long do you usually pause and let your body rest before starting again? (I've heard something in the range of 4-8 weeks)

Thanks everyone! 🤙🏻💪🏻
That's a pretty quick ramp-up.

Roadrash has a point — your end goal is what really decides this. I'm in week 6 right now and just bumped up from 1mg to 2mg. For me, the aim is simply to bring my body fat down from the low 20s to somewhere around 12-15. After that, I'll likely pause for a month to check whether I can hold steady, and then adjust my dose based on how that goes.
 
Mochizuki0124 said:

Shadow27 said:

Hey everyone! Tomorrow marks 8 weeks on Reta, heading into week 9, and the results have been great — I've paired it with a consistent gym routine 6-7 days per week plus a high protein diet. My starting dose was .5 mg, and this week I've titrated up to 6.5mg.

I've come across different approaches: some folks run Reta for 12 weeks and then cycle off, others stay on it until they reach their target body weight, or until they're at a really high weekly amount like 12-13mg and then stop.

For those of you with Reta experience, what has worked best? And once I do decide to cycle off, how fast would you suggest tapering back down — both in terms of weeks and example mg dosages — before taking a break?

Also, for anyone who has run multiple Reta cycles, how long do you usually pause and let your body rest before starting again? (I've heard something in the range of 4-8 weeks)

Thanks everyone! 🤙🏻💪🏻
That's a pretty quick ramp-up.

Roadrash has a point — your end goal is what really decides this. I'm in week 6 right now and just bumped up from 1mg to 2mg. For me, the aim is simply to bring my body fat down from the low 20s to somewhere around 12-15. After that, I'll likely pause for a month to check whether I can hold steady, and then adjust my dose based on how that goes.
Yep, the ramp-up was quick, haha. Alongside Reta I'm taking Tesa and Mots-C, and I train daily for roughly 2 hrs, which includes 40 mins of zone 2-3 cardio. Because of that, I found hunger and cravings came back sooner whenever I was on the lower doses. No side effects so far.

Understood! Once this higher-dose cycle wraps up, my idea was to follow your plan: after a break, use a small weekly dose for maintenance. Appreciate it!
 
“Cycling” belongs to gym-bro nonsense; it has no relevance for a person whose starting body fat is 35%.

Even though you never stated it outright, I’m quite confident that 15% body fat did not come off you in 7 weeks.
 
woundcarping said:

“Cycling” belongs to gym-bro nonsense; it has no relevance for a person whose starting body fat is 35%.

Even though you never stated it outright, I’m quite confident that 15% body fat did not come off you in 7 weeks.
In 8 weeks (nearly 9), I dropped from 230 lbs down to 204 lbs. My scan 1 month back showed 30% BF at 217.5 lbs, and the scan I got yesterday put me at 20.7% BF, all while doing a body recomp. That means I've gained muscle during my time on Reta.

As for cycling, I've come across mixed opinions, since eventually I'd rather not be on 12mg each week for the sake of my wallet lol.
 
Losing about 3.25lbs each week is excessive. Since I began monitoring it, I've dropped 5.5% BF over 16 weeks. Your BF loss seems implausible to me, but whatever.
 
BNLFL said:

Losing about 3.25lbs each week is excessive. Since I began monitoring it, I've dropped 5.5% BF over 16 weeks. Your BF loss seems implausible to me, but whatever.
Honestly, no clue lol. I'm at the gym constantly once my 10 hr shift ends, plus I'm still fairly young, so that might play a part? Or maybe the scanning scale they use at my gym is off lmaooo. 🤷🏻‍♂️. Still, the mirror has been looking better these days for sure
 
Cycling off just to jump right back on within a few weeks doesn't make sense to me. In that case, you might as well stay on it continuously—there's no upside to pausing and resuming.

If you've reached your target weight and don't want to keep shedding pounds, then I can understand the value in dialing in a reduced dose to maintain on.

However, stopping for a few weeks only to restart later strikes me as having no purpose
 
BigRed1 said:

Cycling off just to jump right back on within a few weeks doesn't make sense to me. In that case, you might as well stay on it continuously—there's no upside to pausing and resuming.

If you've reached your target weight and don't want to keep shedding pounds, then I can understand the value in dialing in a reduced dose to maintain on.

However, stopping for a few weeks only to restart later strikes me as having no purpose
Understood, that clears things up. Thanks for the guidance!
 
Your weight history matters here. When someone has carried extra weight for years, approaching it as something short-term that can be resolved and then left behind probably won't give the lasting outcome being hoped for. The likely scenario is that the weight comes back once the medication is stopped — unless the person happens to be among the uncommon few who lock in permanently improved habits around food and training.

As things stand, the most dependable approach developed so far for keeping weight off over the long haul is to remain on GLP medications.
 
For those cutting — lifters or athletes, that is — cycling is not a problem. But if weight loss is the goal, cycling is something you really should avoid. Research in mice found that after a cycle, GLP1 drugs worked much less well, and that drop was especially sharp following the initial cycle. What people report anecdotally lines up with that, based on what I've seen in this space over roughly the last year.
 
Right, that's the worry. A fairly recent rodent trial showed that when semaglutide was given in an on-and-off pattern — several weeks on, then several weeks off — while the animals ate a high fat diet, they put the weight back on during the off stretches, and across repeated rounds of restarting semaglutide the amount of weight they lost kept shrinking.

So far nobody has reproduced this in humans. That said, some people posting online have gone off and then back on and ended up with results worse than they anticipated after the restart. If it does turn out that this is a genuine and sizeable effect in people, that would be a very strong reason not to cycle GLPs — particularly when there is an underlying obesity problem, since damaging the effectiveness of the drugs that do work over the long term seems like a bad trade just to shave off a bit more body fat. When someone's starting point is already quite lean, I'm less sure it matters as much, but my view is that you would then be taking on the entire risk profile of glp therapy, things like pancreatitis or NAION, purely for a cosmetic outcome, and there might be no health upside to balance those risks — while in obesity the health benefits outweigh the risks by an enormous margin.
 
What convinces me most that continuous GLP use does not lead to tolerance or desensitisation against the weight loss effect are the long term follow up studies: on an unchanged dose, average weight loss stayed a flat line across 4 years. Had efficacy been falling off, weight would have climbed.

Nor do I see an obvious reason why intermittent use would alter that picture. Maybe the problem comes from the weight regain happening over and over — something clearly goes wrong in obesity, and it appears to worsen with each additional weight gain.

There was also a paper I came across recently that examined rival explanations for how human weight is regulated. Every current theory had flaws, and they could not build models whose results matched the data. So when something that basic remains unresolved, it makes sense that not every finding lines up perfectly.
 
If you quit Retatrutide abruptly, its half-life means it keeps circulating for roughly 4 weeks. In my view, going cold turkey still gives you a step-down effect over time.

80a7057aaa26320f4f7ed90ef6d36e175aaf5efe167577f8843180b84966f52b.webp
 
qwertyuiop said:


most peoples' experiences that GLPs do have less effect over time

Click to expand...
Imagine my blood pressure was elevated at 140/90, so my physician put me on telmisartan. After starting it, a few weeks pass and I swing by a pharmacy—already measuring 130/85. Two months down the road, at a follow-up visit, I’m at 120/80, and my doctor tells me, “great, we’ll keep you on that dose for now”. A year later, during my annual exam, the reading is still 120/80. Would it make sense to tell my doctor, “it seems like this drug isn’t working anymore, my blood pressure has been plateaued for a year now”? Obviously not. Yet that’s exactly what people do with GLP-1s.
 
SVT810E said:

qwertyuiop said:


most peoples' experiences that GLPs do have less effect over time

Click to expand...
Imagine my blood pressure was elevated at 140/90, so my physician put me on telmisartan. After starting it, a few weeks pass and I swing by a pharmacy—already measuring 130/85. Two months down the road, at a follow-up visit, I’m at 120/80, and my doctor tells me, “great, we’ll keep you on that dose for now”. A year later, during my annual exam, the reading is still 120/80. Would it make sense to tell my doctor, “it seems like this drug isn’t working anymore, my blood pressure has been plateaued for a year now”? Obviously not. Yet that’s exactly what people do with GLP-1s.
I don't think that comparison really lines up.
 
BNLFL said:

Losing about 3.25lbs each week is excessive. Since I began monitoring it, I've dropped 5.5% BF over 16 weeks. Your BF loss seems implausible to me, but whatever.
To be upfront, results vary from person to person. In my case, 14 weeks have passed and I've dropped 17.7% of my body weight. Is that too much for each week? Yes, it's regarded as excessive, but my calorie deficit is properly worked out alongside exercise, something I couldn't do earlier because of health issues. Still, dropping that amount is quite achievable for someone depending on their starting point and how disciplined their diet is now. For scale, 58.86 lb equals 26.7kg.

548a436e34a758e1404fabf4b8a4f351a38d684c8d33b8feeeff0acebd303cca.webp
 
JoonyO said:

SVT810E said:

qwertyuiop said:


most peoples' experiences that GLPs do have less effect over time

Click to expand...
Imagine my blood pressure was elevated at 140/90, so my physician put me on telmisartan. After starting it, a few weeks pass and I swing by a pharmacy—already measuring 130/85. Two months down the road, at a follow-up visit, I’m at 120/80, and my doctor tells me, “great, we’ll keep you on that dose for now”. A year later, during my annual exam, the reading is still 120/80. Would it make sense to tell my doctor, “it seems like this drug isn’t working anymore, my blood pressure has been plateaued for a year now”? Obviously not. Yet that’s exactly what people do with GLP-1s.
I don't think that comparison really lines up.
I don’t accept the claim that these two things are fundamentally different. With blood pressure medication, the drop doesn’t happen right away; it accumulates across several weeks and then levels off. In the same way, GLP-1s don’t take you all the way to your goal weight immediately; that response develops over several months and then levels off.

Once it levels off, that isn’t evidence the drug quit working. It’s evidence the drug is working. Hitting that leveling-off point is exactly what we hope for when we take the drug. And with both GLP-1s and blood pressure drugs, the leveling-off point sometimes isn’t where we’d prefer. My blood pressure medication might bring me down only to 130/85, just as my GLP-1 might bring my BMI down only to 28 once each reaches its plateau.

The mechanics line up. A GLP-1 failing to push our BMI to 22, reaching a less ideal plateau after months of improvement, doesn’t mean it’s having “less effect over time” any more than a blood pressure drug that plateaued at 130/85 after weeks of improvement.

When a drug behaves like this:

6692cf2a43de375d7b1786882ac8d4381724f63178ce81723e49f4801742eabb.webp


Should we describe that as a “loss of effect over time”? That’s a steady drug effect! The problem is that people expect a drug to fix everything for them, and that expectation is unrealistic.
 
Back
Top