Freezing dry powder vs. storing it somewhere cool — which is preferable?

mysteriousfossa

Explorer
Joined
May 22, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Queensland
A vendor has just put out word that dry powder ought not to be frozen… back when I first began looking into reta, the common advice was to store dry powder in the freezer, so mine has sat there for roughly 2 months at this point. Would it be better to relocate the dry powder to a cool, dark spot instead, or has it likely already broken down? Any guidance anyone can give on this would be much appreciated
 
What reason did they give? Everything I’ve come across says the opposite. Stating it that broadly doesn’t seem right. What exactly was their wording?

There’s a YouTube interview with Peter magic from janoshik where he says this approach is optimal for preventing any kind of degradation, and that in the freezer it might remain stable for “decades”
 
Lab-grade “official” suppliers — meaning those outside the grey market — state on their datasheets that the product lasts 1 year at 4°C (refrigerator) or 2 years at -20°C (freezer).

(https://www.google.com/search?q=LY3437943+datasheet)

A problem concerns the excipient mannitol, brought to light by research that came out in the fall of 2025. Mannitol has a tendency to crystallize while freeze-drying is underway, and in doing so it breaks down peptides of the same size as our aGLP1s. The fix now beginning to be rolled out is to add trehalose to the excipient. A number of us have put this question to our vendors, yet no answer has come back (see other forum threads). Yours would be the first vendor to pass along this information. Still, we won’t press you to reveal which vendor it is, since identifying a source might get your account banned.

EDIT: link to research article

(https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC12736198/)
 
I would want to know the reasoning behind their advice against freezing. As long as it is still in its unreconstituted form, freezing ought to be acceptable — unless they are able to give you a concrete explanation for avoiding it. And if they refuse to provide any justification, I would begin searching for a different vendor.
 
Builderman said:

What reason did they give? Everything I’ve come across says the opposite. Stating it that broadly doesn’t seem right. What exactly was their wording?

There’s a YouTube interview with Peter magic from janoshik where he says this approach is optimal for preventing any kind of degradation, and that in the freezer it might remain stable for “decades”
here’s their exact wording:

Peptide Vial Storage Instructions

1. Dry powder (not yet mixed): a cool, dark spot works for short-term; for longer storage use a refrigerator; freezing is NOT allowed.

2. After reconstitution (liquid peptide): refrigeration is REQUIRED. Freezing breaks the structure and makes it insoluble.

Every lyophilized powder product requires only cold storage at 2–8℃, freezing is NOT allowed

If it has been frozen, the peptide structure gets damaged,

leading to cloudy liquid that won’t dissolve & no effect.
 
eidos said:

Lab-grade “official” suppliers — meaning those outside the grey market — state on their datasheets that the product lasts 1 year at 4°C (refrigerator) or 2 years at -20°C (freezer).

(https://www.google.com/search?q=LY3437943+datasheet)

A problem concerns the excipient mannitol, brought to light by research that came out in the fall of 2025. Mannitol has a tendency to crystallize while freeze-drying is underway, and in doing so it breaks down peptides of the same size as our aGLP1s. The fix now beginning to be rolled out is to add trehalose to the excipient. A number of us have put this question to our vendors, yet no answer has come back (see other forum threads). Yours would be the first vendor to pass along this information. Still, we won’t press you to reveal which vendor it is, since identifying a source might get your account banned.

EDIT: link to research article

(https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC12736198/)

Thanks — I didn't know trehalose could stop peptide degradation, so that's quite interesting! The vendor is (fairly well known?) and this was the first time I'd come across conflicting storage guidance, so I was just surprised.
 
A few thoughts.

1. The cynical part of me thinks the reason they discourage freezing is so that you end up reordering more frequently.

2. I keep my peps in insulated containers when frozen and have never run into problems. Insulated containers help prevent the temperature swings that happen inside frost free freezers. Those fluctuations are what can harm the peptides. The vendor may be trying to prevent that, along with customers returning to complain that the product was faulty.

3. Before reconstituting frozen peps, I let them come up to room temp. I've heard of people reconstituting directly from frozen without issues, but I just think the odds are higher in that situation, and the vendor might be trying to prevent that too.
 
Mood said:

A few thoughts.

1. The cynical part of me thinks the reason they discourage freezing is so that you end up reordering more frequently.

2. I keep my peps in insulated containers when frozen and have never run into problems. Insulated containers help prevent the temperature swings that happen inside frost free freezers. Those fluctuations are what can harm the peptides. The vendor may be trying to prevent that, along with customers returning to complain that the product was faulty.

3. Before reconstituting frozen peps, I let them come up to room temp. I've heard of people reconstituting directly from frozen without issues, but I just think the odds are higher in that situation, and the vendor might be trying to prevent that too.

😂 Try harder with that cynical angle…

Drop the vial and the peptides get damaged — reduced effectiveness lands on you.

Let the BAC come in as a jet and the peptide takes damage — reduced effectiveness lands on you.

It turns to gel — that's your BAC, your problem.

Swirl it too aggressively during reconstitution and effectiveness drops — your fault.

Your fridge happens to have a cold spot dipping below freezing, or you stick them in the freezer — reduced effectiveness lands on you.

It's just one more convenient escape hatch for degradation, effectiveness, or a ready-made excuse when peptides are low quality.
 
HARLEYV2 said:

BNLFL said:

That's something I haven't heard before.
Has your frozen peps ever turned cloudy, or appeared to lose potency?
Not once, and I've run plenty of them.

woundcarping said:

Mood said:

A few thoughts.

1. The cynical part of me thinks the reason they discourage freezing is so that you end up reordering more frequently.

2. I keep my peps in insulated containers when frozen and have never run into problems. Insulated containers help prevent the temperature swings that happen inside frost free freezers. Those fluctuations are what can harm the peptides. The vendor may be trying to prevent that, along with customers returning to complain that the product was faulty.

3. Before reconstituting frozen peps, I let them come up to room temp. I've heard of people reconstituting directly from frozen without issues, but I just think the odds are higher in that situation, and the vendor might be trying to prevent that too.

😂 Try harder with that cynical angle…

Drop the vial and the peptides get damaged — reduced effectiveness lands on you.

Let the BAC come in as a jet and the peptide takes damage — reduced effectiveness lands on you.

It turns to gel — that's your BAC, your problem.

Swirl it too aggressively during reconstitution and effectiveness drops — your fault.

Your fridge happens to have a cold spot dipping below freezing, or you stick them in the freezer — reduced effectiveness lands on you.

It's just one more convenient escape hatch for degradation, effectiveness, or a ready-made excuse when peptides are low quality.
Standard cover-your-ass stuff.
 
woundcarping said:

Mood said:

A few thoughts.

1. The cynical part of me thinks the reason they discourage freezing is so that you end up reordering more frequently.

2. I keep my peps in insulated containers when frozen and have never run into problems. Insulated containers help prevent the temperature swings that happen inside frost free freezers. Those fluctuations are what can harm the peptides. The vendor may be trying to prevent that, along with customers returning to complain that the product was faulty.

3. Before reconstituting frozen peps, I let them come up to room temp. I've heard of people reconstituting directly from frozen without issues, but I just think the odds are higher in that situation, and the vendor might be trying to prevent that too.

😂 Try harder with that cynical angle…

Drop the vial and the peptides get damaged — reduced effectiveness lands on you.

Let the BAC come in as a jet and the peptide takes damage — reduced effectiveness lands on you.

It turns to gel — that's your BAC, your problem.

Swirl it too aggressively during reconstitution and effectiveness drops — your fault.

Your fridge happens to have a cold spot dipping below freezing, or you stick them in the freezer — reduced effectiveness lands on you.

It's just one more convenient escape hatch for degradation, effectiveness, or a ready-made excuse when peptides are low quality.
Doesn't the freeze-drying step exist precisely to form the lyophilized puck?
 
HARLEYV2 said:

woundcarping said:

Mood said:

A few thoughts.

1. The cynical part of me thinks the reason they discourage freezing is so that you end up reordering more frequently.

2. I keep my peps in insulated containers when frozen and have never run into problems. Insulated containers help prevent the temperature swings that happen inside frost free freezers. Those fluctuations are what can harm the peptides. The vendor may be trying to prevent that, along with customers returning to complain that the product was faulty.

3. Before reconstituting frozen peps, I let them come up to room temp. I've heard of people reconstituting directly from frozen without issues, but I just think the odds are higher in that situation, and the vendor might be trying to prevent that too.

😂 Try harder with that cynical angle…

Drop the vial and the peptides get damaged — reduced effectiveness lands on you.

Let the BAC come in as a jet and the peptide takes damage — reduced effectiveness lands on you.

It turns to gel — that's your BAC, your problem.

Swirl it too aggressively during reconstitution and effectiveness drops — your fault.

Your fridge happens to have a cold spot dipping below freezing, or you stick them in the freezer — reduced effectiveness lands on you.

It's just one more convenient escape hatch for degradation, effectiveness, or a ready-made excuse when peptides are low quality.
Doesn't the freeze-drying step exist precisely to form the lyophilized puck?
Exactly.
 
I’ve never gotten the point of putting your stash in the freezer. Unless you’ve got decades of it? And even then… what for? New shit will come out.
 
mysteriousfossa said:

eidos said:

Lab-grade “official” suppliers — meaning those outside the grey market — state on their datasheets that the product lasts 1 year at 4°C (refrigerator) or 2 years at -20°C (freezer).

(https://www.google.com/search?q=LY3437943+datasheet)

A problem concerns the excipient mannitol, brought to light by research that came out in the fall of 2025. Mannitol has a tendency to crystallize while freeze-drying is underway, and in doing so it breaks down peptides of the same size as our aGLP1s. The fix now beginning to be rolled out is to add trehalose to the excipient. A number of us have put this question to our vendors, yet no answer has come back (see other forum threads). Yours would be the first vendor to pass along this information. Still, we won’t press you to reveal which vendor it is, since identifying a source might get your account banned.

EDIT: link to research article

(https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC12736198/)

Thanks — I didn't know trehalose could stop peptide degradation, so that's quite interesting! The vendor is (fairly well known?) and this was the first time I'd come across conflicting storage guidance, so I was just surprised.
What we accept as scientific fact keeps shifting. Something can be treated as settled until a new experiment comes along and overturns it.

Think about how cigarettes were once viewed, doctors going between patients without washing their hands, cocaine available without a prescription over 100 years ago, radium handed out by physicians, the idea that humans only use under 10% of their brains, and countless other claims that were not as dramatic but were eventually shown to be wrong.
 
Back
Top