Free testosterone doesn’t line up with total testosterone 😦

bay_area_schizo

Explorer
Joined
May 13, 2026
Messages
108
Reaction score
0
Location
CA
I got labs done in June of this year. My total testosterone was 694, but free testosterone was just 9.1. According to fitomics, 9.1 falls inside the normal range for someone my age (57-year-old male), yet it’s considered low once total testosterone is factored in.

I’m posting this here to see if anyone has any insight. What can I do to raise free testosterone? I’ve never used steroids, but I’m beginning to wonder if I might need to?
 
bay_area_schizo said:

I got labs done in June of this year. My total testosterone was 694, but free testosterone was just 9.1. According to fitomics, 9.1 falls inside the normal range for someone my age (57-year-old male), yet it’s considered low once total testosterone is factored in.

I’m posting this here to see if anyone has any insight. What can I do to raise free testosterone? I’ve never used steroids, but I’m beginning to wonder if I might need to?
For someone your age, your total is actually pretty solid (honestly, it would be solid even at 35).

The low free number most likely comes from a mix of deficiencies in boron, zinc, D3, and magnesium — all extremely common — which push SHBG up. Not a clinical deficiency in the strict sense, just sub-optimal. And even when these are in your diet, absorption drops off a lot after 35.

All of this assumes you aren't already on any of it.

I'm not a "supplement nut" (truth is I'm a fan of "big pharma" lol), I don't even bother with a multivitamin, but after digging deep into the research and then actually testing my levels, I began taking these. (Sadly there's no pharmaceutical equivalent, though they mostly use branded active ingredients, which means very high bioavailability and a fair amount of confidence the dosing is right).

What's great is that even with no testing, none of these can build up to harmful levels, yet they're enough to fix any sub-optimal deficiency.


https://a.co/d/025Pl77q



https://a.co/d/0iZ6LLBj



https://a.co/d/00EtB6aO


I'm confident that inside a month you'll notice the difference before bloodwork even comes back showing free T at least doubled.

Each one also delivers other meaningful, concrete benefits on its own.

Zinc will improve the quality of your hair and nails. Vertical ridges, if you have them, will fade.

D3 tends to lift mood and cognition (especially as light fades in fall and winter). K2 keeps calcium out of your arteries and sends it into bone and teeth instead.

Magnesium Threonate is fantastic for sleep, and plenty of people get less brain fog and less stress from it. This one you can genuinely feel.

If you'd like to "see" what changes, you can test Zinc, Copper, D3, Magnesium RBC (not serum), and naturally SHBG.

To repeat, I lean far more toward supplement skepticism, I don't buy into anything "herbal," and I'm well aware of the problems in the supplement industry — but these particular nutrients, since that's all they are, in highly bioavailable form, have genuinely surprised me with how much they improved my health (and all of it rests on fairly solid science).
 
islandtime50 said:

Did you have your SHBG checked?
yes it was 64.7, screenshot is attached

GLiPtest said:


Your total is quite good for your age (even for a 35 year old frankly).

The low free is likely a combination of boron, zinc, D3, and magnesium deficiency, all of which are very common, causing high SHBG. Not necessarily a clinical deficiency, but sub-optimal. Even if present in your diet, after 35 absorption becomes much less efficient.

Assuming you aren’t already doing any of this.

I’m not a “supplement nut” (I’m actually a fan of “big pharma” lol), I don’t even take a multivitamin, but after extensive research, then actually testing levels, I started using these. (Alas there are no pharmaceutical equivalents, but they use mostly branded active ingredients, which offer very high bioavailability and reasonable certainty they’re dosed correctly).

The beauty is even without testing your levels, none of these can reach harmful levels, but are enough to resolve any sub-optimal deficiency.


https://a.co/d/025Pl77q



https://a.co/d/0iZ6LLBj



https://a.co/d/00EtB6aO


Within a month, I’m confident you’ll feel the improvement before even getting bloodwork back showing at least a 2x rise in free T.

They all offer other significant, tangible, independent benefits too.

Your hair and nail quality will improve (zinc). If you have vertical ridges they’ll disappear.

Mood and condition often improves with D3 (especially with less light in the fall and winter). K2 keeps calcium out of arteries and redirects into bone and teeth.

Magnesium Threonate is amazing for sleep and many folks benefit from less brain fog and stress. You can really feel the impact of this.

If you want to “see” the changes, you can test Zinc, Copper, D3, Magnesium RBC (not serum), and of course SHBG.

Again, I’m far more of a supplement skeptic, don’t buy into “herbal” anything, am well aware of the issues surrounding the supplement industry, but these specific nutrients, because that’s what they all are, in high bioavailability form, have shocked me with their effectiveness in improving my health (and all backed by reasonably solid science).

Click to expand...
really appreciate the thorough breakdown! I'm going to place an order for all of these for sure! mineral deficiency being a possible reason or factor behind my low free T hadn't crossed my mind.

what stands out to me with this route is that, as you mentioned, it probably won't do any damage 💪🏾
 
GLiPtest said:


…If you want to “see” the changes, you can test Zinc, Copper, D3, Magnesium RBC (not serum), and of course SHBG.

Click to expand...

Quantitative data is something I really like.

Testing for Vitamin D, magnesium, and SHBG is already part of my routine. Tomorrow’s plan includes A, E, Ceruloplasmin, copper, and zinc. With a Fitomics coupon, that comes to $69.

bay_area_schizo said:

I got labs done in June of this year. My total testosterone was 694, but free testosterone was just 9.1. According to fitomics, 9.1 falls inside the normal range for someone my age (57-year-old male), yet it’s considered low once total testosterone is factored in.

I’m posting this here to see if anyone has any insight. What can I do to raise free testosterone? I’ve never used steroids, but I’m beginning to wonder if I might need to?

SHBG is the extra data you need. (You posted this just as I was typing.)

That’s precisely the reason your free test is low.
 
bay_area_schizo said:


yes came back at 64.7 I attached screenshot

thanks so much for this detailed response! I will definitely order these! I hadn't considered mineral deficiency as a potential cause or contributor to my low free T.

what I really like about this approach is that it's not likely to cause any harm like you said 💪🏾

Click to expand...
Did you have to fast for this, or not?
 
bay_area_schizo said:


yes came back at 64.7 I attached screenshot

thanks so much for this detailed response! I will definitely order these! I hadn't considered mineral deficiency as a potential cause or contributor to my low free T.

what I really like about this approach is that it's not likely to cause any harm like you said 💪🏾

Click to expand...

Hard as it may be to believe, keeping doses from climbing too high turned out to be the trickiest aspect of this stack. With most of these minerals, taking more does not translate into better results.

Take zinc. Locating a mineral supplement that contains 15mg is considerably more difficult than one with 25 or 50. That matters a great deal, because too much zinc strips copper from the body, whereas 15mg is enough to push nearly everyone into the upper part of the normal range. On top of that, the “TRAACS” version coats every zinc molecule in protein, which makes absorption much easier since the body takes in protein without resistance. It is better to take 15mg that you can be fairly confident will be almost completely absorbed than to hit it with a large dose where only some unpredictable fraction gets through each day, possibly leaving you short or landing well above the target.

D3 follows the same pattern. Enormous doses are everywhere, which is not what you want, and tracking down a middle-ground amount such as 5000iu together with 180mcg K2 (the lowest dose shown to work according to the data we have) is a pain (typically the k2 sits much lower alongside 5000iu D3, frequently 90mcg).
 
woundcarping said:


Was this fasting or not?

Click to expand...

actually, the plan was for me to be fasted, but I had no idea about that, so no. I didn’t do a proper fast before the blood draw 😔
 
woundcarping said:


I’m a big fan of quantitative data.

I already regularly test Vitamin D, magnesium, and SHBG. Tomorrow I’m going to test A, E, Ceruloplasmin, copper, and zinc. $69 with a coupon from Fitomics.

You need more data, namely SHBG. (You just posted this while I’m typing).

That’s exactly why your free test is low.

Click to expand...
Could this be the reason I'm constantly wiped out? Take today—leg day—and I'm absolutely drained
 
GLiPtest said:


Believe it or not, the most difficult part of this stack was ensuring things weren’t being dosed too high. It’s a case of more not being better for most of these minerals.

Zinc for instance. Finding 15mg in a mineral supplement is a LOT harder than 25 or 50. This is crucial since excess Zinc depletes copper, while 15mg is sufficient to bring almost everyone into the upper-normal range. Also, the “TRAACS” form wraps each zinc molecule in protein, allowing it to be absorbed far more easily because the body readily accepts protein. Better to have 15mg you know with reasonable certainty will be nearly fully absorbed, than throwing a high dose at it and having some variable amount absorbed each day, potentially not getting enough or going much higher than what’s ideal.

Same with D3. Crazy high doses are very common, which is undesirable, and finding a moderate dose like 5000iu, paired with 180mcg K2 (the effective minimum dose based on available data) is a hassle (usually the k2 is far lower with 5000iu D3, often 90mcg).

Click to expand...
Seeing a Thorne item in that first link made me glad, since my fitomics membership gives me a discount with them 🙂

The remaining 2 I picked up through the Amazon links you shared
 
bay_area_schizo said:


well it was supposed to be fasted but I didn't realize that so no. I did not fast properly prior to the draw 😔

Click to expand...

I would repeat a CMP with fasting, since the cost is just a few dollars. Also, I would check insulin and lipids.

What did your A1C come back as?

Were TSH and free T4 part of your testing?

What are your height and weight? Any recent weight loss (that seems to be the usual pattern around here 😂) ?
 
woundcarping said:


I'd run a fasted CMP again, it's only a few dollars. I'd run insulin, and lipids as well.

What was your A1C?

Did you test TSH and free T4?

What's your height/weight? Have you lost weight recently (Tends to be the common thing here 😂) ?

Click to expand...

That sounds worth doing. I already have another full panel covered and set up—just haven't gone in to get it drawn yet.

A1c came back elevated: 5.8...though that was without fasting.

tsh 1.1

t4 1.35

both within range

and yeah, tirz helped me drop 30 lbs 🙂
 
bay_area_schizo said:


that's a good idea. I have a whole new round of testing paid for and ready to go. just need to go make it happen.

A1c was high at 5.8...but again unfasted.

tsh 1.1

t4 1.35

both normal

and yes I lost 30 lbs with tirz 🙂

Click to expand...

Fasting isn't necessary for A1C.

Thyroid looks like it's doing its job, which is reassuring.

When did the weight come off relative to those June testosterone labs?

For testosterone panels, mornings are ideal—and sticking to the same time of day each draw matters. Since I'm on TRT, I schedule mine for Monday mornings; that keeps things consistent and lands at the trough of my cycle.
 
woundcarping said:


A1C testing doesn't require fasting.

The thyroid seems to be thyroiding, so that's good.

What was the timing of the weight loss vs the June Test labs?

Testosterone related labs are best done in the morning/same time of day every time. Being on TRT, I do my draws Monday morning, which is consistent and the lowest point in my cycle.

Click to expand...
when the labs were drawn, I had already dropped roughly 20 lbs. tirz didn’t enter the picture until the start of April.

is your trt managed by a physician, or are you going gray?
 
bay_area_schizo said:


that's a good idea. I have a whole new round of testing paid for and ready to go. just need to go make it happen.

A1c was high at 5.8...but again unfasted.

tsh 1.1

t4 1.35

both normal

and yes I lost 30 lbs with tirz 🙂

Click to expand...
Elevated fasting insulin can disrupt hormonal balance.

Testosterone and insulin resistance

1. Impact on the testes

According to research, insulin resistance harms Leydig cells in the testes directly. These cells are tasked with producing testosterone. When insulin resistance occurs:

• Leydig cells respond less to Luteinizing Hormone (LH)—the brain's signal to "start production."

• Despite the brain signaling for increased testosterone, the testes perceive it less effectively, resulting in reduced production.

2. Role of belly fat (aromatization)

Insulin resistance typically accompanies more visceral (belly) fat. This fat is not merely storage; it is metabolically active and holds an enzyme known as aromatase.

• Aromatase converts existing testosterone into estrogen.

• Elevated estrogen then signals the brain that hormone levels are sufficient, prompting it to reduce the signal for further testosterone production.

3. Reduction in SHBG

Insulin levels strongly affect Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG), a protein that transports testosterone in the blood.

• High insulin prompts the liver to make less SHBG.

• Although this might appear to increase "free" testosterone, low SHBG frequently indicates metabolic issues and is regularly associated with decreased total testosterone over time.

4. Inflammation's effect on the brain

Ongoing insulin resistance leads to a mild inflammatory condition. This inflammation can interfere with the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Gonadal (HPG) axis. In essence, the brain's regulatory center becomes less effective at overseeing hormone levels, causing a decline in production.

A positive aspect: reversibility

Fortunately, since this connection works both ways, addressing one issue often improves the other. Enhancing insulin sensitivity is among the most successful "natural" methods to raise testosterone.
 
bay_area_schizo said:


at time of labs I was down about 20 lbs . I only started tirz beginning of April.

are you doing trt with a doctor or gray?

Click to expand...

My prescription comes through TRT Nation. Since this is a controlled substance, I'd rather not risk going without a valid script and a reliable supply. TRT Nation says they'll field any questions, and the representative I've been speaking with appears okay with how I've been reasoning things out so far.

Officially, they want labs from me in September, though I'm hoping (and expecting) that this month's results will satisfy them.

Peptides began on 12/12/25, TRT on 1/19/26, and my weight has fallen from 282lb down to 196lb, with roughly 180lb as the eventual goal. Whether I'll actually remain that light is unclear, but at that point I ought to be able to see abs, which is what I'm after. A DEXA on 7/20/26 put my body fat at 25.7% when I weighed 207lb. After reaching 200lb on 8/5/26 I "took a break" and lowered my dose to ease off a trajectory of 1% loss per week. Now I'm gradually raising my collective dose again to resume losing. Another DEXA should happen in October, though it might slip to November. Broadly speaking, I'd like to hit 180lb around the end of October.
 
Using your TT and SHBG, the calculated Free T comes out to 10, which explains the 9.1 figure. That represents 1.44% of your FT, a bit under the typical 1.5-2.5% window.

For your age, your FT is impressive, but since SHBG rises with age, free T declines. Just picture having a FT in the 200+ range. TRT could readily bring you up to roughly 1100 TT and about 15 FT
 
Turbo-Farmer said:


High fasting insulin can mess with your hormones.

Insulin resistance and testosterone

1. The Direct Hit to the Testes

Research shows that insulin resistance directly impairs the Leydig cells in the testes. These are the cells responsible for churning out testosterone. When your body is resistant to insulin:

• The Leydig cells become less responsive to Luteinizing Hormone (LH)—the "start engine" signal from your brain.

• Even if your brain is screaming for more testosterone, the testes don't "hear" the signal as clearly, leading to lower output.

2. The "Belly Fat" Factor (Aromatization)

Insulin resistance is almost always tied to increased visceral (belly) fat. This fat isn't just storage; it’s metabolically active and contains an enzyme called aromatase.

• Aromatase takes the testosterone you do have and converts it into estrogen.

• Higher estrogen levels then tell your brain, "We have plenty of hormones," which causes the brain to slow down the signal to produce more testosterone.

3. SHBG Suppression

Insulin levels significantly influence Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG), a protein that carries testosterone through your blood.

• High insulin levels signal the liver to produce less SHBG.

• While this might sounds like it would leave more "free" testosterone, low SHBG is often a marker of metabolic dysfunction and is consistently linked to lower total testosterone levels over time.

4. Inflammation and the Brain

Chronic insulin resistance creates a low-grade inflammatory state. This inflammation can disrupt the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Gonadal (HPG) axis. Essentially, the "command center" in your brain becomes less efficient at monitoring and regulating your hormone levels, leading to a drop in production.

The Silver Lining: Reversibility

The good news is that because this relationship is bidirectional, fixing one often helps the other. Improving insulin sensitivity—is one of the most effective "natural" ways to boost testosterone.

Click to expand...
That's a ton of helpful info — really appreciate it! So what steps can I take to boost insulin sensitivity? Do I just stay consistent with training and keep taking tirz? Since starting tirz, my activity level has gone way up compared to before.
 
woundcarping said:


I use TRT Nation for the Rx. Being a controlled substance, I don't want to deal with the lack of having a prescription and legit supply. TRT Nation offers to answer whatever questions, but the guy I talk to seems comfortable with my decision logic so far.

Technically I'm supposed to have labs for them in September, but I'm hopeful (and expect) they'll be fine with my labs from this month.

I started peptides on 12/12/25, TRT on 1/19/26, and am down from 282lb to 196lb with the final target being ~180lb. I don't know that I'll stay that low, but I should be able to see abs there, which is the goal. At 207lb on 7/20/26 my DEXA body fat was 25.7%. I hit 200lb on 8/5/26 and "took a break", reducing my dose to slow my 1% week/week weight loss trajectory. I'm working my collective dose back up to get back on losing. I expect another DEXA in October, although perhaps it'll drag out to November. In general I'd like to see 180lb by the end of Octoberish.

Click to expand...
Honestly, I'm starting to think trt is something I should genuinely explore 💯 A dexa scan is already on the books for mid September...I really want to find out what's happening inside here 😂
 
woundcarping said:


I use TRT Nation for the Rx. Being a controlled substance, I don't want to deal with the lack of having a prescription and legit supply. TRT Nation offers to answer whatever questions, but the guy I talk to seems comfortable with my decision logic so far.

Technically I'm supposed to have labs for them in September, but I'm hopeful (and expect) they'll be fine with my labs from this month.

I started peptides on 12/12/25, TRT on 1/19/26, and am down from 282lb to 196lb with the final target being ~180lb. I don't know that I'll stay that low, but I should be able to see abs there, which is the goal. At 207lb on 7/20/26 my DEXA body fat was 25.7%. I hit 200lb on 8/5/26 and "took a break", reducing my dose to slow my 1% week/week weight loss trajectory. I'm working my collective dose back up to get back on losing. I expect another DEXA in October, although perhaps it'll drag out to November. In general I'd like to see 180lb by the end of Octoberish.

Click to expand...
Honestly, I think it's time I actually gave trt a serious look 💯 I've got a dexa scan booked for the middle of September...really want to see what's happening inside 😂

Mochizuki0124 said:

Using your TT and SHBG, the calculated Free T comes out to 10, which explains the 9.1 figure. That represents 1.44% of your FT, a bit under the typical 1.5-2.5% window.

For your age, your FT is impressive, but since SHBG rises with age, free T declines. Just picture having a FT in the 200+ range. TRT could readily bring you up to roughly 1100 TT and about 15 FT
yeah, it's been on my mind a lot lately. I'm just a bit afraid of it. I still haven't even given HGH a shot...I figured I'd first find out how much I could improve using tirz plus working out. but looking at these labs, it feels like I might be wasting my time.
 
Back
Top