Flying to Southeast Asia with Reta — customs, paperwork and cooling

captain_spork

Explorer
Joined
May 19, 2026
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Location
Dublin
Hello all,

I'd like advice from anyone who has taken peptides abroad outside Europe and North America.

I'll be flying out of the EU to Southeast Asia, with a transit through the UAE (Abu Dhabi), then moving around Indonesia/Bali, Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia for a few months. Nearly all the travel threads I've come across online are about the US or Europe, so what I'm trying to get a feel for is how it goes at Asian, Oceanic or Middle Eastern airports, whether transit or destination.

On customs and security: has anyone hit problems carrying GLP-1s, injection pens, vials or cartridges through airports in the UAE or Southeast Asia? Did you keep it all in hand luggage? Were you asked for a prescription, a doctor's letter, pharmacy labels or original packaging?

And if you did have paperwork, what exactly was it?

All I want to bring is my Reta, so getting proper paperwork doesn't look possible for me. A prescription for Semaglutide or Tirzepatide I could get quickly, but it obviously wouldn't match what I'm actually carrying, and the vials or cartridges won't be labelled properly either.

For those who have travelled with peptides or GLP-1s that weren't in pharmacy packaging, how did customs or security handle it? Did anyone really look at the label or the paperwork, or was it treated as ordinary medication and injection supplies?

What I have right now is an Eli Lilly Humapen Savvio pen with a recon'd cartridge, plus a double vacuum cooler flask that should hold the temperature for a few days at a time. The cartridge ought to last a month, but I'm unsure what the best approach is for the remainder of the trip. Would it be better to carry a lyophilised vial and reconstitute later, or to reconstitute another cartridge ahead of time and hope it stays stable? My assumption is that white powder in a vial won't go down well in these nations — what has the experience been like?

Am I overthinking this, or have folks genuinely run into problems travelling through these regions?
 
I travel constantly and have no problem carrying vials and syringes in most countries. Asia is the exception - I leave them at home. We're talking about a region where falling foul of the law can be extremely unpleasant, where you don't get the same right to a fair jury trial, and where anything injectable carries a strong taboo. Crossing that many borders is a lot of rolls of the dice. Honestly, treat it as a chance to reset and go and eat some excellent pork belly.
 
Back
Top