First-Timer's Crypto Journey: My Experience

ChicagoFit

Explorer
Joined
Feb 5, 2026
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Location
Chicago, IL
The moment I reached out to the vendor, the whole idea of a hassle-free crypto payment fell apart. I had given them a heads-up: "Crypto novice here. I need hand-holding." What I pictured was a smooth, guided walkthrough. What I got? Nothing but silence. It wasn't even clear if the vendor's English was good enough to assist, assuming they wanted to.

Since the vendor was a bust, I turned to online experts: YouTube and AI. After spending hours watching tutorials, I described my situation to Gemini, which responded with a set of extremely confident, almost biblical instructions. The first rule: "Thou shalt only proceed on thy Android phone".

Then came the search for a wallet. Exodus was praised everywhere—called the "easiest wallet to use" in forum chatter. Downloading it took no time. The disappointment hit right after. The polished app I saw didn't match the old versions shown in the YouTube videos, which made an otherwise "straight forward" task feel really stressful. Just before I added funds, Gemini jumped in with a clever, fee-saving idea: use Google Wallet and connect a debit card. I did that. What happened? A frustrating, pointless struggle. Google Wallet and Google Pay simply wouldn't work with Exodus, so I got angry, quit, and quickly installed a new option: Coinbase.

Starting over meant watching new YouTube guides. Coinbase looked easy enough. But it wasn't Coinbase anymore—it had turned into Base. After getting "Base," I had a small win: I managed to load the wallet with $300 directly from my bank. It worked! After a day or two of finding time, I was set for the final step.

The goal: $282 in USDC. The vendor gave me a QR code for USDC on Solana (sol). For days that felt endless, the Base wallet kept rejecting it, showing the same vague message: "the QR was not recognizable". I tried countless times and in countless ways, like I was fighting a digital phantom. Then, out of nowhere, the vendor sent a different QR code. This time it was for USDC on Ethereum. Boom! The transfer went through right away. What a relief.

The money got there. Victory felt great—until the vendor hit me with the catch. The items I wanted from the US warehouse were suddenly unavailable. They'd ship from China instead, with a promise of delivery in ten days or less. After all that crypto mess? I said go ahead. Check back for the update!
 
Today I finally submitted my initial order. Even after creating a Kraken account and moving money into it, my nerves got the better of me when it came to Crypto. I wound up paying through Alibaba instead, and that alone left me pretty stressed out 😅

When I do this again, I'll muster up my big girl pants and go the crypto route.

So now... I wait...
 
Wow. Only a few days back was my initial go at this. I asked my buddy Gemini Pro to explain everything as if I were a 4-year-old. On my treasured Android device, I installed Coinbase and Exodus—which apparently turns me into some kind of social pariah. I bought Bitcoin, and Coinbase prompted me to give their prize wheel a spin for complimentary crypto. I gave it a whirl and ended up with an extra $10 for nothing. Once the waiting period passed, Coinbase indicated all was set, so I moved it over to my Exodus wallet (good lord, they really drill into you that you absolutely cannot misplace those 12 special words!). Right now I'm waiting to send my share of the group testing fee to Janoshik. All in all, the whole thing wasn't too challenging for this 67-year-old mind. At this point I'm reasonably comfortable with WhatsApp, Telegram, Coinbase, Exodus, and BTC. Now, if only I could grasp this f*cking TikTok nonsense my kids and grandkids won't shut up about.
 
oldrunnerguy said:

Wow. Only a few days back was my initial go at this. I asked my buddy Gemini Pro to explain everything as if I were a 4-year-old. On my treasured Android device, I installed Coinbase and Exodus—which apparently turns me into some kind of social pariah. I bought Bitcoin, and Coinbase prompted me to give their prize wheel a spin for complimentary crypto. I gave it a whirl and ended up with an extra $10 for nothing. Once the waiting period passed, Coinbase indicated all was set, so I moved it over to my Exodus wallet (good lord, they really drill into you that you absolutely cannot misplace those 12 special words!). Right now I'm waiting to send my share of the group testing fee to Janoshik. All in all, the whole thing wasn't too challenging for this 67-year-old mind. At this point I'm reasonably comfortable with WhatsApp, Telegram, Coinbase, Exodus, and BTC. Now, if only I could grasp this f*cking TikTok nonsense my kids and grandkids won't shut up about.
Don't stress over the TikTok stuff. The algorithm reacts quickly, so you might end up stuck in a niche—possibly an echo chamber.
 
Getting funds into my Exodus wallet was a slow process for me, and that was true even when I followed the guide. My attempt with Paypal to buy PYUSD fell through because Paypal blocked the transfer despite my account being verified. Coinbase was another dead end. Eventually I used my debit card inside the Exodus app to purchase USDC-Sol and Solana.

Once my first order was in, I checked multiple times that the payment had gone to the right vendor. I had their email from this place, but I also reached out on Discord to confirm the money had been sent. The new year holiday made everything slower, so there was a long stretch of waiting. The tracking number just came through recently, so I'm hoping for a good outcome. During that wait I placed an order with another vendor (also found here) that runs a US warehouse, and the tracking number arrived in under 12 hours. Monday is the expected delivery date, so we'll find out. Still stressed, but less than before.
 
BNLFL said:


I didn't see the shipping price listed, and was the using a card any issue?

Click to expand...
My payment went through Venmo, and he tacks on 3%. Credit cards are accepted too, though that comes with a 6% fee. Each package cost $20 to ship.
 
I’m still stuck in the middle of trying to finish my very first transaction. I’ve read plenty about gubmnt cracdowns, frozen accts, and other horrors, and that made me extremely hesitant to step into crypto at all. Like chicagofit, I also went to you tube and asked my friend, Claude. I told it I wanted ease, minimal hold times, and low fees, and I found none of that.

After a week and more hours than I want to tally, I’m now setting up my 3rd wallet, and none of them hold any crypto. I wanted to use ACH with Kraken, but learned it comes with a 7-day wait period. I figured Moonpay was the solution, but discovered (1) they permit ACH only for sales, not purchases (even though the support chatbot said I could), and (2) it keeps rejecting my debit cards (even though I’ve checked with banks and there are no crypto restrictions). Now I’m trying Gemini and hoping this nightmare ends soon. Wish me luck.
 
attcbf said:

I’m still stuck in the middle of trying to finish my very first transaction. I’ve read plenty about gubmnt cracdowns, frozen accts, and other horrors, and that made me extremely hesitant to step into crypto at all. Like chicagofit, I also went to you tube and asked my friend, Claude. I told it I wanted ease, minimal hold times, and low fees, and I found none of that.

After a week and more hours than I want to tally, I’m now setting up my 3rd wallet, and none of them hold any crypto. I wanted to use ACH with Kraken, but learned it comes with a 7-day wait period. I figured Moonpay was the solution, but discovered (1) they permit ACH only for sales, not purchases (even though the support chatbot said I could), and (2) it keeps rejecting my debit cards (even though I’ve checked with banks and there are no crypto restrictions). Now I’m trying Gemini and hoping this nightmare ends soon. Wish me luck.
Appreciate it — it helps to realize other people are dealing with the same mess.
 
When paying by QR code, caution is essential — my guess is luck was on your side this time. USDC on Base and USDC on Etherium do use the same wallet format, though: if Base isn't supported on the receiving end, your funds are most likely gone for good. I've personally made that error too. Before buying and sending USDC, confirm you're on the right network. Sending on a network other than Base requires "gas" — typically the network's own coin, so Etherium for Etherium, SOL for Solana. Until you grasp how these networks operate, don't attempt another transfer, or you could end up losing everything.
 
ChicagoFit said:

attcbf said:

I’m still stuck in the middle of trying to finish my very first transaction. I’ve read plenty about gubmnt cracdowns, frozen accts, and other horrors, and that made me extremely hesitant to step into crypto at all. Like chicagofit, I also went to you tube and asked my friend, Claude. I told it I wanted ease, minimal hold times, and low fees, and I found none of that.

After a week and more hours than I want to tally, I’m now setting up my 3rd wallet, and none of them hold any crypto. I wanted to use ACH with Kraken, but learned it comes with a 7-day wait period. I figured Moonpay was the solution, but discovered (1) they permit ACH only for sales, not purchases (even though the support chatbot said I could), and (2) it keeps rejecting my debit cards (even though I’ve checked with banks and there are no crypto restrictions). Now I’m trying Gemini and hoping this nightmare ends soon. Wish me luck.
Appreciate it — it helps to realize other people are dealing with the same mess.
Update. I'm at the point where I want to hurl my computer, my phone, and anything else I've used for crypto purchases straight into a wall. 😠 Dozens of hours have gone down the drain, plus many days spent waiting on different exchanges to resolve the numerous obstacles I've hit (and yes, that word choice is intentional—I still haven't managed to clear those hurdles). On top of that, I found out that most support messages sent by email don't permit any reply. The only route to communicate is through online chat, and in my case, that hasn't fixed a single thing. It's enough to drive you crazy.

At long last, I managed to purchase USDT, but then the exchange wouldn't allow me to move it to my wallet. I escalated the support chat, yet the entire week has passed with me waiting for the hold—or whatever they call it—to be lifted, and support has completely ghosted me. The frustration is overwhelming; I'm now leaning toward staying with US-based sellers, even though they cost 3x what overseas ones do. And sadly, I don't know a single person who could assist me, even if I paid them, in getting all of this configured.
 
attcbf said:

ChicagoFit said:

attcbf said:

I’m still stuck in the middle of trying to finish my very first transaction. I’ve read plenty about gubmnt cracdowns, frozen accts, and other horrors, and that made me extremely hesitant to step into crypto at all. Like chicagofit, I also went to you tube and asked my friend, Claude. I told it I wanted ease, minimal hold times, and low fees, and I found none of that.

After a week and more hours than I want to tally, I’m now setting up my 3rd wallet, and none of them hold any crypto. I wanted to use ACH with Kraken, but learned it comes with a 7-day wait period. I figured Moonpay was the solution, but discovered (1) they permit ACH only for sales, not purchases (even though the support chatbot said I could), and (2) it keeps rejecting my debit cards (even though I’ve checked with banks and there are no crypto restrictions). Now I’m trying Gemini and hoping this nightmare ends soon. Wish me luck.
Appreciate it — it helps to realize other people are dealing with the same mess.
Update. I'm at the point where I want to hurl my computer, my phone, and anything else I've used for crypto purchases straight into a wall. 😠 Dozens of hours have gone down the drain, plus many days spent waiting on different exchanges to resolve the numerous obstacles I've hit (and yes, that word choice is intentional—I still haven't managed to clear those hurdles). On top of that, I found out that most support messages sent by email don't permit any reply. The only route to communicate is through online chat, and in my case, that hasn't fixed a single thing. It's enough to drive you crazy.

At long last, I managed to purchase USDT, but then the exchange wouldn't allow me to move it to my wallet. I escalated the support chat, yet the entire week has passed with me waiting for the hold—or whatever they call it—to be lifted, and support has completely ghosted me. The frustration is overwhelming; I'm now leaning toward staying with US-based sellers, even though they cost 3x what overseas ones do. And sadly, I don't know a single person who could assist me, even if I paid them, in getting all of this configured.
Move the funds back into your bank account, grab MetaMask, then work through the walkthrough I shared here in this section.
 
Just placed my very first cryptocurrency buy! Picked up USDT along with Etherium. It looks like the transaction was successful! Fingers crossed for me!
 
ChicagoFit said:

The moment I reached out to the vendor, the whole idea of a hassle-free crypto payment fell apart. I had given them a heads-up: "Crypto novice here. I need hand-holding." What I pictured was a smooth, guided walkthrough. What I got? Nothing but silence. It wasn't even clear if the vendor's English was good enough to assist, assuming they wanted to.

Since the vendor was a bust, I turned to online experts: YouTube and AI. After spending hours watching tutorials, I described my situation to Gemini, which responded with a set of extremely confident, almost biblical instructions. The first rule: "Thou shalt only proceed on thy Android phone".

Then came the search for a wallet. Exodus was praised everywhere—called the "easiest wallet to use" in forum chatter. Downloading it took no time. The disappointment hit right after. The polished app I saw didn't match the old versions shown in the YouTube videos, which made an otherwise "straight forward" task feel really stressful. Just before I added funds, Gemini jumped in with a clever, fee-saving idea: use Google Wallet and connect a debit card. I did that. What happened? A frustrating, pointless struggle. Google Wallet and Google Pay simply wouldn't work with Exodus, so I got angry, quit, and quickly installed a new option: Coinbase.

Starting over meant watching new YouTube guides. Coinbase looked easy enough. But it wasn't Coinbase anymore—it had turned into Base. After getting "Base," I had a small win: I managed to load the wallet with $300 directly from my bank. It worked! After a day or two of finding time, I was set for the final step.

The goal: $282 in USDC. The vendor gave me a QR code for USDC on Solana (sol). For days that felt endless, the Base wallet kept rejecting it, showing the same vague message: "the QR was not recognizable". I tried countless times and in countless ways, like I was fighting a digital phantom. Then, out of nowhere, the vendor sent a different QR code. This time it was for USDC on Ethereum. Boom! The transfer went through right away. What a relief.

The money got there. Victory felt great—until the vendor hit me with the catch. The items I wanted from the US warehouse were suddenly unavailable. They'd ship from China instead, with a promise of delivery in ten days or less. After all that crypto mess? I said go ahead. Check back for the update!
Great write-up — and well done on getting your peptide and health journey off to such a strong start!
 
Svartr said:

Today I finally submitted my initial order. Even after creating a Kraken account and moving money into it, my nerves got the better of me when it came to Crypto. I wound up paying through Alibaba instead, and that alone left me pretty stressed out 😅

When I do this again, I'll muster up my big girl pants and go the crypto route.

So now... I wait...

Please teach me, oh obi-wan lol
 
For those who caught my OP, the crypto went out on March 4th to cover Retatrutide, MOTS-c, and SS-31.

While I was buried in the supply chain mechanics, a bead of sweat formed on my brow. What was the number of possible failure points?

The shipment arrived on March 14th—precisely 10 days afterward—and mixing the Retatrutide went just as smoothly as I had anticipated, with the solution falling comfortably inside standard ranges and prepared for the upcoming stage of the process.

On the tech side, plenty of people are discussing the move away from the classic Coinbase exchange toward the Base app on Android, yet that change turns out to be rather graceful provided you hold the correct mental framework.

Picture Coinbase as an airport—the essential portal where you connect your bank account, pass through a digital customs check, and get your luggage ready for departure. During your time in that terminal, the exchange holds “custody” over your money. The instant you shift those assets over to the Base network, though, you have arrived at your destination. The crypto is now in your custody.

That is the point where everything clicks and the balance of power reverses completely. Within the Base ecosystem, you have stepped into genuine self-custody. As soon as your crypto reaches that network, neither your bank nor the exchange remains an "interested party" in your business transactions. No longer are you merely a passenger; you are the one flying your own digital economy. Be it dialing in a peptide package or locking down your financial independence, the objective does not change: complete control.

Keep this in mind, from someone who used to be a virgin: The process is like a penis. Sometimes its up. Sometimes its down. However, its never hard forever.
 
ChicagoFit said:

For those who caught my OP, the crypto went out on March 4th to cover Retatrutide, MOTS-c, and SS-31.

While I was buried in the supply chain mechanics, a bead of sweat formed on my brow. What was the number of possible failure points?

The shipment arrived on March 14th—precisely 10 days afterward—and mixing the Retatrutide went just as smoothly as I had anticipated, with the solution falling comfortably inside standard ranges and prepared for the upcoming stage of the process.

On the tech side, plenty of people are discussing the move away from the classic Coinbase exchange toward the Base app on Android, yet that change turns out to be rather graceful provided you hold the correct mental framework.

Picture Coinbase as an airport—the essential portal where you connect your bank account, pass through a digital customs check, and get your luggage ready for departure. During your time in that terminal, the exchange holds “custody” over your money. The instant you shift those assets over to the Base network, though, you have arrived at your destination. The crypto is now in your custody.

That is the point where everything clicks and the balance of power reverses completely. Within the Base ecosystem, you have stepped into genuine self-custody. As soon as your crypto reaches that network, neither your bank nor the exchange remains an "interested party" in your business transactions. No longer are you merely a passenger; you are the one flying your own digital economy. Be it dialing in a peptide package or locking down your financial independence, the objective does not change: complete control.

Keep this in mind, from someone who used to be a virgin: The process is like a penis. Sometimes its up. Sometimes its down. However, its never hard forever.
Came across this thread while digging around for Crypto details. Yeah, I realize it's dated, but I couldn't stop laughing!! 😂😂
 
For the past 60 minutes, I've been wrestling with that ridiculous Coinbase setup. What an absolute pain. Their identity verification requires a webcam, and it won't accept my document.
 
attcbf said:

ChicagoFit said:

attcbf said:

I’m still stuck in the middle of trying to finish my very first transaction. I’ve read plenty about gubmnt cracdowns, frozen accts, and other horrors, and that made me extremely hesitant to step into crypto at all. Like chicagofit, I also went to you tube and asked my friend, Claude. I told it I wanted ease, minimal hold times, and low fees, and I found none of that.

After a week and more hours than I want to tally, I’m now setting up my 3rd wallet, and none of them hold any crypto. I wanted to use ACH with Kraken, but learned it comes with a 7-day wait period. I figured Moonpay was the solution, but discovered (1) they permit ACH only for sales, not purchases (even though the support chatbot said I could), and (2) it keeps rejecting my debit cards (even though I’ve checked with banks and there are no crypto restrictions). Now I’m trying Gemini and hoping this nightmare ends soon. Wish me luck.
Appreciate it — it helps to realize other people are dealing with the same mess.
Update. I'm at the point where I want to hurl my computer, my phone, and anything else I've used for crypto purchases straight into a wall. 😠 Dozens of hours have gone down the drain, plus many days spent waiting on different exchanges to resolve the numerous obstacles I've hit (and yes, that word choice is intentional—I still haven't managed to clear those hurdles). On top of that, I found out that most support messages sent by email don't permit any reply. The only route to communicate is through online chat, and in my case, that hasn't fixed a single thing. It's enough to drive you crazy.

At long last, I managed to purchase USDT, but then the exchange wouldn't allow me to move it to my wallet. I escalated the support chat, yet the entire week has passed with me waiting for the hold—or whatever they call it—to be lifted, and support has completely ghosted me. The frustration is overwhelming; I'm now leaning toward staying with US-based sellers, even though they cost 3x what overseas ones do. And sadly, I don't know a single person who could assist me, even if I paid them, in getting all of this configured.
Got coinbase up and running today, then bought usdt with my debit card. There's a hold on transfers, so sending it over to my exodus wallet wasn't possible yet. Last night I was pumped to grab some goodies, but ended up going to sleep with nothing and nobody. Lol
 
mtomm said:

BNLFL said:


I didn't see the shipping price listed, and was the using a card any issue?

Click to expand...
My payment went through Venmo, and he tacks on 3%. Credit cards are accepted too, though that comes with a 6% fee. Each package cost $20 to ship.
Who's the vendor you're buying from that takes Venmo?
 
Back
Top