FDA greenlights elevated semaglutide doses

Grogu

Explorer
Joined
Dec 2, 2025
Messages
651
Reaction score
2
Location
Coruscant
17300e1f4a1c46d80d64e25db653501d79d87295788bb48b8c582f6b894475e9.jpg




FDA approves new higher-dose version of Wegovy shots



U.S. regulators on Thursday approved a new higher-dose version of the blockbuster obesity drug Wegovy.

9ea348cf4a5e11186cfb63010eddb83ffb77ac0206dd119b4fef6b12321028b0.png



apnews.com

This is news, though it isn't shocking that the FDA signed off yesterday on the larger semaglutide doses. I'm curious what this does to the patent situation. Most likely it gets renewed for these stronger versions 😡.

That makes me ask whether tirzepatide is also sitting well below its ceiling. I haven't come across any trustworthy info about the larger tirzepatide doses in current trials. A few people have guessed 20mg and 25mg, but could it be far beyond that? Guess it's time to raise my own dose 😂.
 
This isn't about semaglutide, but one time I messed up my tirzepatide dose — took 20mg while I was supposed to be on 10mg — and the diarrhea that followed was awful 🟤💦🧨
 
exploitedworkerbee said:

At 7.2mg, those naps are going to be legendary.

Has anyone else found that sema leaves them feeling drowsy? Toward the end of November, I began adding a small weekly amount on top of my usual dose, and I'm pretty sure my sleep has been wrecked since then. Then again, stress might be the real culprit 😂.

Over the past 2 weeks I've added magnesium and doxepin, and I also went without sema for the last 2 weeks. My sleep is a little better now, but I can't tell which change is responsible.....
 
My year on ozempic was rough, and now just looking at those numbers on paper turns my stomach — anything past 0.5 was already too much for me.

So the 7.2mg strength got the nod, while the 16mg version they also put through studies was left out.

Even so, at 19% weight loss it trails the 15mg tirzepatide figure, and it brings considerably more adverse effects. The upside is genuinely difficult to spot. Unless the price comes down, I don't see any way it isn't overtaken by tirz as the superior option. For the 5-20% whose results fall well short of average while experiencing few side effects, raising the dose is unlikely to create trouble — that may be where larger doses of any GLP deliver their real value. I'm hoping the trial of a bigger tirz dose turns out well. And whenever a higher-dose reta study finally happens, I hope it performs the way I suspect it could; based on what I've read, it looks like the agent with the greatest room to push weight loss further as the dose climbs. Over the long haul, for people starting at BMI's of 40+ or above, more potent treatments would matter a great deal. I asked chatgpt to work out what larger reta doses would probably do, and it came back with roughly 35% weight loss — that could leave some surgeons without patients. Still, bigger doses only help those who tolerate max doses with few side effects.
 
Back
Top