FDA Approves Orforglipron, a GLP-1 Weight Loss Pill With Looser Usage Rules

Hotlongs

Explorer
Joined
Mar 27, 2026
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Location
Oregon
I can't share the link because of my posting restriction, but the article is on CNN.

Eli Lilly makes Orforglipron, which carries the brand name Foundayo. Under the arrangement, Medicare would cover the pill for certain patients too, at a monthly cost below $50, beginning as early as July 1.

In 1 trial that backed the approval, participants taking Foundayo at the highest dose dropped an average of 12% of their body weight across 72 weeks, versus 0.9% among those on a placebo. Injectable versions have achieved more than 20% weight loss in trials, and Novo Nordisk reported that its Wegovy pill reached average weight loss of up to 17% at the highest dose in trials.

These pills also mark a big shift in GLP-1 pricing and access; through a deal reached with the administration in November, for patients paying out of pocket the pills begin at $149 a month at the lowest doses, far less than what had been available before.





56be34b99eba265521eafa6263f8ee0f6b6345bc1d3f06e4b7f28f49b2acac3e.webp


----

Speaking only for myself and without expertise, a pill format could make manufacturing and distribution simpler and cheaper. It might also smooth out the spikes that come with weekly Zepbound injections. That would be valuable as a maintenance option once millions of people have finished their major weight loss and only need a modest assist to hold the weight off.
 
I could have sworn the link to this story was already shared here, but I can’t locate it anymore.

What gets me is this: if a drug class is known mainly for hitting the gut, why turn it into something you swallow? A pill has to travel through the exact same digestive route that produces those side effects. Thanks, but I’ll pass. Empty stomach or with food, doesn’t matter. No, nope, not happening, no thanks, yeah no, and so on. Count me out. I’m sticking with my shot every week or every other week, and I’m happy with that.
 
For maintenance, sure, it could work well enough. That said, give me a weekly injection over something I have to take every day. My own history — plus raising my 5 damn kids — tells me a daily pill routine just doesn't stick with me.

Still, having it available is a plus. Not everyone can or will do shots for one reason or another, and this beats having no choice at all.
 
DrPEPr said:

This isn't exactly fresh news—the piece came out a few months back—but here it is anyway:


https://investor.lilly.com/news-releases/news-release-details/lillys-orforglipron-helped-people-maintain-weight-loss-after
That CNN piece came out on April 1st, and what makes it a big deal — as opposed to whatever link you shared — is that US insurers will now pick up the tab at that cost, plus it can legally be sold. Given that you're Dutch, it makes sense that this wouldn't land the same way for you.
 
Odd as it sounds, "pill fatigue" hits me way harder than "needle fatigue" ever could.

Back in 2021 I went through a pretty drastic bariatric procedure...my intestines got re-routed, and that left me dealing with a permanent malabsorption issue.

Every day I have to take vitamins, then more vitamins, plus additional supplements just to stay healthy. Adding yet another pill to that routine is the last thing I want...still, for plenty of people I can see it being a really solid maintenance option.
 
Back
Top