Excessive Sweating Problem

TeresaHip

Explorer
Joined
Mar 3, 2026
Messages
309
Reaction score
0
Location
Louisiana
My clothes are getting drenched because I've begun perspiring terribly. Whether this is from my lupus, anxiety, or tirz, I can't tell. It came on suddenly. I find it humiliating.
 
That must be really annoying! It makes sense that you’d want to track down what’s behind this sudden change.

Going forward, though, there’s a medication that helped a lot with sweating across the whole body (meaning it wasn’t limited to a single area): Oxybutynin. It can cause some dry mouth, but it puts an end to the sweating.
 
PineCone99 said:

That must be really annoying! It makes sense that you’d want to track down what’s behind this sudden change.

Going forward, though, there’s a medication that helped a lot with sweating across the whole body (meaning it wasn’t limited to a single area): Oxybutynin. It can cause some dry mouth, but it puts an end to the sweating.
Thanks. As for me, I'm perspiring from spots I never realized were capable of it. 🤣
 
PineCone99 said:

That must be really annoying! It makes sense that you’d want to track down what’s behind this sudden change.

Going forward, though, there’s a medication that helped a lot with sweating across the whole body (meaning it wasn’t limited to a single area): Oxybutynin. It can cause some dry mouth, but it puts an end to the sweating.
For this issue, is seeing a dermatologist the optimal route?
 
Does this happen when you're exercising, or does it occur regardless? I've been on Tirzepatide for 6 months now and my dose is 8mg; I've noticed I sweat profusely during workouts, whereas before I could barely work up a sweat.
 
TeresaHip said:

My clothes are getting drenched because I've begun perspiring terribly. Whether this is from my lupus, anxiety, or tirz, I can't tell. It came on suddenly. I find it humiliating.

There isn't large-scale evidence backing tirzepatide as a cause of sweating — in fact, feeling cold is what most users describe, particularly during the early phase of treatment. A wide-ranging study that systematically charted GLP-1 benefits and risks across many health outcomes did not list sweating among either the positive or negative effects identified:


https://gwern.net/doc/longevity/glp/2025-xie.pdf


Just trying to help rule things out — could you be peri-menopausal? Sudden, drenching sweats are very commonly caused by the hormonal shifts that happen during that transition. Lupus and anxiety are also both well-known culprits. Worth mentioning to your doctor so they can sort out which is most likely driving it.
 
Estarossa19 said:

Does this happen when you're exercising, or does it occur regardless? I've been on Tirzepatide for 6 months now and my dose is 8mg; I've noticed I sweat profusely during workouts, whereas before I could barely work up a sweat.

Estarossa19 said:

Does this happen when you're exercising, or does it occur regardless? I've been on Tirzepatide for 6 months now and my dose is 8mg; I've noticed I sweat profusely during workouts, whereas before I could barely work up a sweat.
Yes, though at times it happens simply from walking around stores and similar places.
 
Grogu said:

TeresaHip said:

My clothes are getting drenched because I've begun perspiring terribly. Whether this is from my lupus, anxiety, or tirz, I can't tell. It came on suddenly. I find it humiliating.

There isn't large-scale evidence backing tirzepatide as a cause of sweating — in fact, feeling cold is what most users describe, particularly during the early phase of treatment. A wide-ranging study that systematically charted GLP-1 benefits and risks across many health outcomes did not list sweating among either the positive or negative effects identified:


https://gwern.net/doc/longevity/glp/2025-xie.pdf


Just trying to help rule things out — could you be peri-menopausal? Sudden, drenching sweats are very commonly caused by the hormonal shifts that happen during that transition. Lupus and anxiety are also both well-known culprits. Worth mentioning to your doctor so they can sort out which is most likely driving it.
Nope, I underwent a hysterectomy quite a few years back.
 
TeresaHip said:

Grogu said:

TeresaHip said:

My clothes are getting drenched because I've begun perspiring terribly. Whether this is from my lupus, anxiety, or tirz, I can't tell. It came on suddenly. I find it humiliating.

There isn't large-scale evidence backing tirzepatide as a cause of sweating — in fact, feeling cold is what most users describe, particularly during the early phase of treatment. A wide-ranging study that systematically charted GLP-1 benefits and risks across many health outcomes did not list sweating among either the positive or negative effects identified:


https://gwern.net/doc/longevity/glp/2025-xie.pdf


Just trying to help rule things out — could you be peri-menopausal? Sudden, drenching sweats are very commonly caused by the hormonal shifts that happen during that transition. Lupus and anxiety are also both well-known culprits. Worth mentioning to your doctor so they can sort out which is most likely driving it.
Nope, I underwent a hysterectomy quite a few years back.

That makes sense. When you sweat, does it happen while you're moving around, or does it also occur when you're totally still? Knowing that could help.

It's possible that the tirzepatide is impacting how your blood sugar is regulated. Sudden sweating is in fact a recognized symptom of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), and I've noticed sweating on my own end when my blood sugar falls. It may be useful to watch if it shows up near meals or after going a while without eating.
 
sixgallery said:

PineCone99 said:

That must be really annoying! It makes sense that you’d want to track down what’s behind this sudden change.

Going forward, though, there’s a medication that helped a lot with sweating across the whole body (meaning it wasn’t limited to a single area): Oxybutynin. It can cause some dry mouth, but it puts an end to the sweating.
For this issue, is seeing a dermatologist the optimal route?
A doctor is able to prescribe pills for this — just tell them you'd use them now and then for generalized hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating). Still, when the sweating hasn't always been present, figuring out why it started matters, since Oxybutynin only acts as a "bandaid" rather than a real fix. Also, Oxybutynin calls for caution: situations exist where sweating is necessary — a heatwave, working out in hot weather, and so on.
 
Grogu said:

TeresaHip said:

Grogu said:

TeresaHip said:

My clothes are getting drenched because I've begun perspiring terribly. Whether this is from my lupus, anxiety, or tirz, I can't tell. It came on suddenly. I find it humiliating.

There isn't large-scale evidence backing tirzepatide as a cause of sweating — in fact, feeling cold is what most users describe, particularly during the early phase of treatment. A wide-ranging study that systematically charted GLP-1 benefits and risks across many health outcomes did not list sweating among either the positive or negative effects identified:


https://gwern.net/doc/longevity/glp/2025-xie.pdf


Just trying to help rule things out — could you be peri-menopausal? Sudden, drenching sweats are very commonly caused by the hormonal shifts that happen during that transition. Lupus and anxiety are also both well-known culprits. Worth mentioning to your doctor so they can sort out which is most likely driving it.
Nope, I underwent a hysterectomy quite a few years back.

That makes sense. When you sweat, does it happen while you're moving around, or does it also occur when you're totally still? Knowing that could help.

It's possible that the tirzepatide is impacting how your blood sugar is regulated. Sudden sweating is in fact a recognized symptom of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), and I've noticed sweating on my own end when my blood sugar falls. It may be useful to watch if it shows up near meals or after going a while without eating.
At the beginning I assumed my blood sugar was the cause. Typically it hits while I'm doing even light stuff
 
TeresaHip said:

My clothes are getting drenched because I've begun perspiring terribly. Whether this is from my lupus, anxiety, or tirz, I can't tell. It came on suddenly. I find it humiliating.
On GLPs my sweating increases, particularly around dosing day or after I've had a break. Sema and tirz both produced this for me, though these days I only take tirz. As time went on it improved, but in the beginning the sweating was intense, nights especially, and I couldn't figure out why. This side effect isn't widely reported, yet in my case the glp was clearly the cause.
 
TeresaHip said:

PineCone99 said:

That must be really annoying! It makes sense that you’d want to track down what’s behind this sudden change.

Going forward, though, there’s a medication that helped a lot with sweating across the whole body (meaning it wasn’t limited to a single area): Oxybutynin. It can cause some dry mouth, but it puts an end to the sweating.
Thanks. As for me, I'm perspiring from spots I never realized were capable of it. 🤣
bwhahhaha
 
In the past, I dealt with really heavy sweating. GLP's made no change for me at all, yet dropping a lot of weight changed things in a big way.
 
Back
Top