ERP vial lids tearing unevenly — anyone else?

PAPoots

Explorer
Joined
Jun 6, 2025
Messages
89
Reaction score
0
Location
Fishers/Indiana
Only my most recent Tesa batch and the NAD+ batch I got lately have shown this. I run my finger around the edge of the cap to pull it away from the metal ring, yet roughly every second cap refuses to snap free from the lid and instead rips a little way down the side. The moment I see that start, I have to bend the cap back and forth until it separates properly. My worry is whether those few millimeters of side tearing have ruined the seal. On 1 vial I'm certain it did, since the runner plug came up — a sad day. When that happens I press the metal ring back down and hope the seal still holds. Across hundreds of other vials I've never run into this. Could be a supplier change.
 
PAPoots said:

Only my most recent Tesa batch and the NAD+ batch I got lately have shown this. I run my finger around the edge of the cap to pull it away from the metal ring, yet roughly every second cap refuses to snap free from the lid and instead rips a little way down the side. The moment I see that start, I have to bend the cap back and forth until it separates properly. My worry is whether those few millimeters of side tearing have ruined the seal. On 1 vial I'm certain it did, since the runner plug came up — a sad day. When that happens I press the metal ring back down and hope the seal still holds. Across hundreds of other vials I've never run into this. Could be a supplier change.
I've run into the same problem with Epi made by ERP.
 
The crimp ring is made with a weak point that's meant to give way when the lid comes off. Why they went with that particular ring design, I really don't know.

As long as the torn section stays small, the seal itself is fine. That ring's job is holding the stopper down mechanically, so a little tear up near the top shouldn't have a bad effect on how much pressure sits on the rubber stopper.
 
This has also occurred in my case, though from what I can recall, it doesn't follow any consistent pattern. Occasionally, a single vial cap simply won't separate properly.
 
Hey — got a quick one. When their kits arrive, do they include COAs (like Janoshik links)? I'm not talking about just any COAs — I mean ones that match the batch number printed on the vials.
 
Could you share a picture? With certain vials, the design keeps the top connected along one edge so it can serve as a reusable lid. Typically there's an upward-pointing arrow on the side opposite the hinge. The intended method is to lift the top at that arrow rather than ripping it all the way off.
 
PAPoots said:

Only my most recent Tesa batch and the NAD+ batch I got lately have shown this. I run my finger around the edge of the cap to pull it away from the metal ring, yet roughly every second cap refuses to snap free from the lid and instead rips a little way down the side. The moment I see that start, I have to bend the cap back and forth until it separates properly. My worry is whether those few millimeters of side tearing have ruined the seal. On 1 vial I'm certain it did, since the runner plug came up — a sad day. When that happens I press the metal ring back down and hope the seal still holds. Across hundreds of other vials I've never run into this. Could be a supplier change.
It doesn't seem tied to any particular vendor for me — across different vendors, I typically see it happen about once per kit. If you're filtering into a new vial, it's not a problem.
 
CNCCurrency said:

PAPoots said:

Only my most recent Tesa batch and the NAD+ batch I got lately have shown this. I run my finger around the edge of the cap to pull it away from the metal ring, yet roughly every second cap refuses to snap free from the lid and instead rips a little way down the side. The moment I see that start, I have to bend the cap back and forth until it separates properly. My worry is whether those few millimeters of side tearing have ruined the seal. On 1 vial I'm certain it did, since the runner plug came up — a sad day. When that happens I press the metal ring back down and hope the seal still holds. Across hundreds of other vials I've never run into this. Could be a supplier change.
It doesn't seem tied to any particular vendor for me — across different vendors, I typically see it happen about once per kit. If you're filtering into a new vial, it's not a problem.
I was just about to say the same thing — if you're only using it to reconstitute and then filter, it doesn't matter. Honestly, I don't get how people just raw-dog vendor vials.
 
I've gone through 6 vials from an ERP NAD+ kit, and every single lid has torn off messily. Dealing with them is annoying, but the NAD+ itself tests well and works as expected.
 
thebonus said:

CNCCurrency said:

PAPoots said:

Only my most recent Tesa batch and the NAD+ batch I got lately have shown this. I run my finger around the edge of the cap to pull it away from the metal ring, yet roughly every second cap refuses to snap free from the lid and instead rips a little way down the side. The moment I see that start, I have to bend the cap back and forth until it separates properly. My worry is whether those few millimeters of side tearing have ruined the seal. On 1 vial I'm certain it did, since the runner plug came up — a sad day. When that happens I press the metal ring back down and hope the seal still holds. Across hundreds of other vials I've never run into this. Could be a supplier change.
It doesn't seem tied to any particular vendor for me — across different vendors, I typically see it happen about once per kit. If you're filtering into a new vial, it's not a problem.
I was just about to say the same thing — if you're only using it to reconstitute and then filter, it doesn't matter. Honestly, I don't get how people just raw-dog vendor vials.
Is there any problem with the vials that come from vendors?
 
jason370 said:

thebonus said:

CNCCurrency said:

PAPoots said:

Only my most recent Tesa batch and the NAD+ batch I got lately have shown this. I run my finger around the edge of the cap to pull it away from the metal ring, yet roughly every second cap refuses to snap free from the lid and instead rips a little way down the side. The moment I see that start, I have to bend the cap back and forth until it separates properly. My worry is whether those few millimeters of side tearing have ruined the seal. On 1 vial I'm certain it did, since the runner plug came up — a sad day. When that happens I press the metal ring back down and hope the seal still holds. Across hundreds of other vials I've never run into this. Could be a supplier change.
It doesn't seem tied to any particular vendor for me — across different vendors, I typically see it happen about once per kit. If you're filtering into a new vial, it's not a problem.
I was just about to say the same thing — if you're only using it to reconstitute and then filter, it doesn't matter. Honestly, I don't get how people just raw-dog vendor vials.
Is there any problem with the vials that come from vendors?
There's no specific problem with them, but sterility can't be confirmed. If you filter the contents into a new, sterile vial using a suitable filter, that worry goes away.
 
jason370 said:

thebonus said:

CNCCurrency said:

PAPoots said:

Only my most recent Tesa batch and the NAD+ batch I got lately have shown this. I run my finger around the edge of the cap to pull it away from the metal ring, yet roughly every second cap refuses to snap free from the lid and instead rips a little way down the side. The moment I see that start, I have to bend the cap back and forth until it separates properly. My worry is whether those few millimeters of side tearing have ruined the seal. On 1 vial I'm certain it did, since the runner plug came up — a sad day. When that happens I press the metal ring back down and hope the seal still holds. Across hundreds of other vials I've never run into this. Could be a supplier change.
It doesn't seem tied to any particular vendor for me — across different vendors, I typically see it happen about once per kit. If you're filtering into a new vial, it's not a problem.
I was just about to say the same thing — if you're only using it to reconstitute and then filter, it doesn't matter. Honestly, I don't get how people just raw-dog vendor vials.
Is there any problem with the vials that come from vendors?

PAPoots said:

Only my most recent Tesa batch and the NAD+ batch I got lately have shown this. I run my finger around the edge of the cap to pull it away from the metal ring, yet roughly every second cap refuses to snap free from the lid and instead rips a little way down the side. The moment I see that start, I have to bend the cap back and forth until it separates properly. My worry is whether those few millimeters of side tearing have ruined the seal. On 1 vial I'm certain it did, since the runner plug came up — a sad day. When that happens I press the metal ring back down and hope the seal still holds. Across hundreds of other vials I've never run into this. Could be a supplier change.
 
thebonus said:

CNCCurrency said:

PAPoots said:

Only my most recent Tesa batch and the NAD+ batch I got lately have shown this. I run my finger around the edge of the cap to pull it away from the metal ring, yet roughly every second cap refuses to snap free from the lid and instead rips a little way down the side. The moment I see that start, I have to bend the cap back and forth until it separates properly. My worry is whether those few millimeters of side tearing have ruined the seal. On 1 vial I'm certain it did, since the runner plug came up — a sad day. When that happens I press the metal ring back down and hope the seal still holds. Across hundreds of other vials I've never run into this. Could be a supplier change.
It doesn't seem tied to any particular vendor for me — across different vendors, I typically see it happen about once per kit. If you're filtering into a new vial, it's not a problem.
I was just about to say the same thing — if you're only using it to reconstitute and then filter, it doesn't matter. Honestly, I don't get how people just raw-dog vendor vials.
When you're only reconstituting and then filtering, are you saying popping the lid off is fine?
 
tcpnomad said:

thebonus said:

CNCCurrency said:

PAPoots said:

Only my most recent Tesa batch and the NAD+ batch I got lately have shown this. I run my finger around the edge of the cap to pull it away from the metal ring, yet roughly every second cap refuses to snap free from the lid and instead rips a little way down the side. The moment I see that start, I have to bend the cap back and forth until it separates properly. My worry is whether those few millimeters of side tearing have ruined the seal. On 1 vial I'm certain it did, since the runner plug came up — a sad day. When that happens I press the metal ring back down and hope the seal still holds. Across hundreds of other vials I've never run into this. Could be a supplier change.
It doesn't seem tied to any particular vendor for me — across different vendors, I typically see it happen about once per kit. If you're filtering into a new vial, it's not a problem.
I was just about to say the same thing — if you're only using it to reconstitute and then filter, it doesn't matter. Honestly, I don't get how people just raw-dog vendor vials.
When you're only reconstituting and then filtering, are you saying popping the lid off is fine?
I wouldn't necessarily yank the whole lid off, but a few jagged bits here and there shouldn't cause problems. My routine is simple: mix it in the original vial, draw it up, and then push it through a filter into a fresh sterile vial.
 
tcpnomad said:

thebonus said:

CNCCurrency said:

PAPoots said:

Only my most recent Tesa batch and the NAD+ batch I got lately have shown this. I run my finger around the edge of the cap to pull it away from the metal ring, yet roughly every second cap refuses to snap free from the lid and instead rips a little way down the side. The moment I see that start, I have to bend the cap back and forth until it separates properly. My worry is whether those few millimeters of side tearing have ruined the seal. On 1 vial I'm certain it did, since the runner plug came up — a sad day. When that happens I press the metal ring back down and hope the seal still holds. Across hundreds of other vials I've never run into this. Could be a supplier change.
It doesn't seem tied to any particular vendor for me — across different vendors, I typically see it happen about once per kit. If you're filtering into a new vial, it's not a problem.
I was just about to say the same thing — if you're only using it to reconstitute and then filter, it doesn't matter. Honestly, I don't get how people just raw-dog vendor vials.
When you're only reconstituting and then filtering, are you saying popping the lid off is fine?
No need for that. The problem is mainly that the metal rips along the ring as I take the cap off. I've gone through plenty where the metal ring ended up torn.
 
As long as the rubber stopper remains seated, there's no problem. Should the whole metal cap detach, you'll want to take some care so the stopper doesn't get pulled loose while inserting or withdrawing needles. However, when only a portion of the metal cap is gone, that's not a concern and typically helps keep the rubber stopper from accidentally coming off. Once the rubber piece is removed, sterility is lost.
 
CandyCap said:

Could you share a picture? With certain vials, the design keeps the top connected along one edge so it can serve as a reusable lid. Typically there's an upward-pointing arrow on the side opposite the hinge. The intended method is to lift the top at that arrow rather than ripping it all the way off.
Yeah, I ended up just tearing it off. Now I know better. Thanks!
 
CandyCap said:

Could you share a picture? With certain vials, the design keeps the top connected along one edge so it can serve as a reusable lid. Typically there's an upward-pointing arrow on the side opposite the hinge. The intended method is to lift the top at that arrow rather than ripping it all the way off.
It's not just you — this is a real thing. Why was I unaware of it until now?
 
Back
Top