Elevated calcium levels, what should I look into?

tendency

Explorer
Joined
Oct 21, 2025
Messages
242
Reaction score
0
Location
Midwest, USA
Hey everyone - for roughly the past 25 years, my blood calcium has sat at the upper edge of normal, around 10.0 or 10.1 (lab range 8.7-10.2). Over the last year, though, my two most recent Ca readings came back at 10.4 and 10.5. Could anyone help me sort out what might be behind this and what I should test or check next? A few years back, my endo suspected I might be heading toward parathyroid problems, but additional testing at that point cleared it. Thanks!
 
Hi Tendency,

My situation matched yours. Mine returned to normal fast, though. Parathyroid labs also came back okay.

I'm guessing you stay away from calcium sources such as Tums? And have you cut back on calcium from dairy as well?

A lot of the protein shakes I purchase contain as much as 70 percent calcium, which could be an issue too. Those don't bother me, however. In my case, the antacids were behind the elevated calcium. As you're aware, certain oral supplements include calcium as an extra ingredient too.
 
Calm Logic said:

Hi Tendency,

My situation matched yours. Mine returned to normal fast, though. Parathyroid labs also came back okay.

I'm guessing you stay away from calcium sources such as Tums? And have you cut back on calcium from dairy as well?

A lot of the protein shakes I purchase contain as much as 70 percent calcium, which could be an issue too. Those don't bother me, however. In my case, the antacids were behind the elevated calcium. As you're aware, certain oral supplements include calcium as an extra ingredient too.
Wait a second — I consume a lot of whole milk and a decent amount of dairy, now that I think about it. Perhaps I should reduce the majority of those from my diet. Appreciate it!
 
Guys, according to the nutrition guru Dr Joel Wallach, a high calcium reading on your bloodwork actually means you're calcium deficient.

The reason, he says, is that your heart depends on calcium to keep working, so when your intake is too low, your body pulls calcium out of your bones and routes it to the heart.

Once that process goes on for long enough, your bones become brittle.

I went ahead and tried his advice myself — started a high calcium diet 8 yrs back — and my blood calcium came down and remained low. In my view, Wallach is right.
 
Calm Logic said:

Hi Tendency,

My situation matched yours. Mine returned to normal fast, though. Parathyroid labs also came back okay.

I'm guessing you stay away from calcium sources such as Tums? And have you cut back on calcium from dairy as well?

A lot of the protein shakes I purchase contain as much as 70 percent calcium, which could be an issue too. Those don't bother me, however. In my case, the antacids were behind the elevated calcium. As you're aware, certain oral supplements include calcium as an extra ingredient too.
That's curious. Because of the heartburn that comes with Reta, I have one of those every couple of nights. On the blood test from 3 weeks ago, calcium came back right where it should be. Sodium, though, was on the low side. I blamed the Reta for that, but it turned out I was simply drinking far too much water and flushing the sodium out in my urine. Who knew. There was one more thing as well, though it wasn't anything significant.
 
AlexSilver said:

Guys, according to the nutrition guru Dr Joel Wallach, a high calcium reading on your bloodwork actually means you're calcium deficient.

The reason, he says, is that your heart depends on calcium to keep working, so when your intake is too low, your body pulls calcium out of your bones and routes it to the heart.

Once that process goes on for long enough, your bones become brittle.

I went ahead and tried his advice myself — started a high calcium diet 8 yrs back — and my blood calcium came down and remained low. In my view, Wallach is right.
Hmm... I'm not convinced that advice holds up. Dairy makes up a big part of my diet, and the more of it I ate, the higher my Ca climbed.
 
You need to get calcium, Pth and Vit D drawn together, and not just once — several times. That said, Vit D supplementation can push calcium upward, and after baseline Vit D levels were obtained I was advised to stop taking it. My case was normocalcemic. For years I kept going in circles. In the end I sought a consultation in another state and had 2 adenomas taken out. https://www.parathyroid.com/diagnosis.htm — they also offer an app, https://calciumpro.com/, where you can enter your lab values. The highest calcium I ever recorded was 10.1, with a Pth of 100. On the day of surgery it was 9.5 and 65. What matters isn't only each number on its own but how the 2 relate to each other. A lot of endocrinologists don't really help. I went to the U of Michigan and was told nothing was wrong with me. Good luck.
 
AlexSilver said:

Guys, according to the nutrition guru Dr Joel Wallach, a high calcium reading on your bloodwork actually means you're calcium deficient.

The reason, he says, is that your heart depends on calcium to keep working, so when your intake is too low, your body pulls calcium out of your bones and routes it to the heart.

Once that process goes on for long enough, your bones become brittle.

I went ahead and tried his advice myself — started a high calcium diet 8 yrs back — and my blood calcium came down and remained low. In my view, Wallach is right.
I'm not convinced. I've dealt with this disease myself, and when an adenoma is present, increasing calcium intake won't shrink it. Removal is necessary.
 
BNLFL said:

Calm Logic said:

Hi Tendency,

My situation matched yours. Mine returned to normal fast, though. Parathyroid labs also came back okay.

I'm guessing you stay away from calcium sources such as Tums? And have you cut back on calcium from dairy as well?

A lot of the protein shakes I purchase contain as much as 70 percent calcium, which could be an issue too. Those don't bother me, however. In my case, the antacids were behind the elevated calcium. As you're aware, certain oral supplements include calcium as an extra ingredient too.
That's curious. Because of the heartburn that comes with Reta, I have one of those every couple of nights. On the blood test from 3 weeks ago, calcium came back right where it should be. Sodium, though, was on the low side. I blamed the Reta for that, but it turned out I was simply drinking far too much water and flushing the sodium out in my urine. Who knew. There was one more thing as well, though it wasn't anything significant.

Getting blood drawn from me is tough, and I once overdid it on water beforehand. That ended up affecting my sodium numbers. 😆These days I let the phlebotomist know I've had plenty to drink so it's easier for them, but I've stopped forcing myself to chug water since it throws off my labs. Doing this seems to stop the usual "you're not drinking enough water!" nonsense I tend to get from them.
 
My calcium has come back a bit above the reference range. The doctor who reviewed the results wasn't concerned at all. They took a quick look at the other values and told me it fell under normal variation, so there was nothing to worry about.
 
AlexSilver said:

Guys, according to the nutrition guru Dr Joel Wallach, a high calcium reading on your bloodwork actually means you're calcium deficient.

The reason, he says, is that your heart depends on calcium to keep working, so when your intake is too low, your body pulls calcium out of your bones and routes it to the heart.

Once that process goes on for long enough, your bones become brittle.

I went ahead and tried his advice myself — started a high calcium diet 8 yrs back — and my blood calcium came down and remained low. In my view, Wallach is right.
Other people have pointed to this too. For me, what’s left out is Vitamin K. My allergist (MD) leans heavily toward natural approaches, and during my twice-a-year visits we mostly talk supplements. He uses very large doses of Vitamin D and K. K turns on coenzymes that are needed to “drive” calcium into bone, where it should be, and away from soft tissue. That lowers serum calcium and stops Ca from building up in soft tissues (arterial walls included). I take a moderate Vitamin D3 amount (2000 iu) plus a large Vitamin K dose (K1, K2MK4, K2MK7). I consume plenty of dairy and protein shakes, yet my calcium stays firmly at 9.1.
 
toologic said:

AlexSilver said:

Guys, according to the nutrition guru Dr Joel Wallach, a high calcium reading on your bloodwork actually means you're calcium deficient.

The reason, he says, is that your heart depends on calcium to keep working, so when your intake is too low, your body pulls calcium out of your bones and routes it to the heart.

Once that process goes on for long enough, your bones become brittle.

I went ahead and tried his advice myself — started a high calcium diet 8 yrs back — and my blood calcium came down and remained low. In my view, Wallach is right.
I'm not convinced. I've dealt with this disease myself, and when an adenoma is present, increasing calcium intake won't shrink it. Removal is necessary.

Wow, that makes me the jerk here. There's a detail I overlooked. When an adenoma is present, adding extra calcium is seriously the wrong move.
 
latviantower said:

AlexSilver said:

Guys, according to the nutrition guru Dr Joel Wallach, a high calcium reading on your bloodwork actually means you're calcium deficient.

The reason, he says, is that your heart depends on calcium to keep working, so when your intake is too low, your body pulls calcium out of your bones and routes it to the heart.

Once that process goes on for long enough, your bones become brittle.

I went ahead and tried his advice myself — started a high calcium diet 8 yrs back — and my blood calcium came down and remained low. In my view, Wallach is right.
Other people have pointed to this too. For me, what’s left out is Vitamin K. My allergist (MD) leans heavily toward natural approaches, and during my twice-a-year visits we mostly talk supplements. He uses very large doses of Vitamin D and K. K turns on coenzymes that are needed to “drive” calcium into bone, where it should be, and away from soft tissue. That lowers serum calcium and stops Ca from building up in soft tissues (arterial walls included). I take a moderate Vitamin D3 amount (2000 iu) plus a large Vitamin K dose (K1, K2MK4, K2MK7). I consume plenty of dairy and protein shakes, yet my calcium stays firmly at 9.1.
That's a fair observation—I'd actually quit vitamin K roughly 6 months prior to these labs. That said, reviewing results from the period when I was on K, my Ca only came down to roughly 10.2, so the change was minimal. Possibly I should increase how much K I take.

Right now I'm on 4000iu of vit D—what's your K dose? Appreciate it-
 
AlexSilver said:

toologic said:

AlexSilver said:

Guys, according to the nutrition guru Dr Joel Wallach, a high calcium reading on your bloodwork actually means you're calcium deficient.

The reason, he says, is that your heart depends on calcium to keep working, so when your intake is too low, your body pulls calcium out of your bones and routes it to the heart.

Once that process goes on for long enough, your bones become brittle.

I went ahead and tried his advice myself — started a high calcium diet 8 yrs back — and my blood calcium came down and remained low. In my view, Wallach is right.
I'm not convinced. I've dealt with this disease myself, and when an adenoma is present, increasing calcium intake won't shrink it. Removal is necessary.

Wow, that makes me the jerk here. There's a detail I overlooked. When an adenoma is present, adding extra calcium is seriously the wrong move.
To identify parathyroid disease, calcium alone won't cut it — what matters is how Ca and Pth relate to each other. When glands are functioning normally, that relationship is inverse; when they aren't, it becomes direct. Evaluating Ca in isolation, without Pth, is an error. There are also cases of secondary hyperparathyroidism, which may stem from kidney issues or gastric bypass, and that's a separate matter altogether.
 
CathyGoesFar said:

My calcium has come back a bit above the reference range. The doctor who reviewed the results wasn't concerned at all. They took a quick look at the other values and told me it fell under normal variation, so there was nothing to worry about.
My calcium came back a touch above the reference range, while my vitamin D was on the low side. After I brought my vitamin D up to normal, my calcium climbed even higher — and that pattern points toward a parathyroid problem.

This gets overlooked by doctors constantly, so make sure your vitamin D is checked in the same draw. You can't interpret calcium without knowing your vitamin D.

I had an adenoma taken out in August, and my overall sense of well-being has improved. Most of us have 4 parathyroids; the remaining 3 of mine have picked up the slack without any trouble.
 
Foggy-Hollow said:

CathyGoesFar said:

My calcium has come back a bit above the reference range. The doctor who reviewed the results wasn't concerned at all. They took a quick look at the other values and told me it fell under normal variation, so there was nothing to worry about.
My calcium came back a touch above the reference range, while my vitamin D was on the low side. After I brought my vitamin D up to normal, my calcium climbed even higher — and that pattern points toward a parathyroid problem.

This gets overlooked by doctors constantly, so make sure your vitamin D is checked in the same draw. You can't interpret calcium without knowing your vitamin D.

I had an adenoma taken out in August, and my overall sense of well-being has improved. Most of us have 4 parathyroids; the remaining 3 of mine have picked up the slack without any trouble.

Every 4 months I do a comprehensive panel covering essentially all markers, and it comes with a telehealth appointment where a physician goes over the results, because the doctors at the VA appear to have an aversion to genuinely tracking the health conditions I have on record. Because testing happens so often, a lot of slightly out-of-range values get met with "we'll check it again in 4 months."

On top of that, I have a long-standing vitamin D deficiency, which might explain why a minor fluctuation didn't raise much alarm. I spend enough time in the sun and eat enough foods with vitamin D, so the cause isn't clear to them. Right now the default assumption is to pin it on my obesity, but the deficiency was initially discovered when my weight was in a healthy range, so that reasoning doesn't hold up. 🤔
 
Went through this quickly and I didn't see anyone bring up that calcium needs magnesium to be moved around and kept in balance, and that it also interacts with vitamin D and boron.

My heart isn't in great shape, and palpitations hit me nonstop unless I take magnesium. When I take calcium but skip magnesium, those palpitations get much worse — enough to be risky. I'm male, and I also turned out low in boron; during the first several months of taking it, my testosterone clearly went up (libido shot way up and I had more energy).

Doctor's Best magnesium glycinate, dosed up to whatever you can handle, plus boron 3mg per day, would probably be a reasonable place to begin. Vitamin D 5000 IU each day, with or without K2, until it starts making you feel bad. That's an easy route to raise those blood levels without spending money on labs.
 
Back
Top