Down 80lbs after a year on Tirz, switching to Reta next

RT0123

Explorer
Joined
May 18, 2026
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
Hello everyone. It's genuinely nice to be part of this group, and I'm picking up a great deal from all of you. My 1st year using Tirz went really well. I'm at the max dosage now, and the effects are beginning to fade.

I'm here to get educated on Reta and how to switch over. Up to now I've gone through a low-cost US compounding provider, but I'm ready to take the leap into the world of Reta.

Thank you for letting me learn from your experiences and insights. I appreciate it.
 
Glad to have you with us! This is exactly where you should be. The folks in this community were a huge help to me. Soak it all in. Go through as much as you can, make good use of the search feature, and don’t hold back on asking. Wishing you the best!
 
I gave the switch a shot, but it wasn't a good fit for me, so I went back. That said, results vary from person to person, so I'd encourage you to try it—particularly because Reta brings some extra health advantages that Tirz doesn't.

What didn't work out for me:

1) Reta didn't curb my appetite. The main driver of my weight loss on Tirz was eating less. With Reta, I felt hungry. From what I've heard, Reta's appetite suppression may take a few weeks to show up.

2) Allodynia. That's an uncomfortable side effect where your skin becomes overly sensitive, as if you're sunburned all the time. It doesn't happen to everyone, so it might not be an issue in your case. According to some, staying hydrated and taking magnesium can ease this side effect. Others mention that Guaifensin (Mucinex) and/or antihistamines might help. I might give Reta another try soon as part of a maintenance plan, but for now I'm content with Tirz.
 
RT0123 said:

Hello everyone. It's genuinely nice to be part of this group, and I'm picking up a great deal from all of you. My 1st year using Tirz went really well. I'm at the max dosage now, and the effects are beginning to fade.

I'm here to get educated on Reta and how to switch over. Up to now I've gone through a low-cost US compounding provider, but I'm ready to take the leap into the world of Reta.

Thank you for letting me learn from your experiences and insights. I appreciate it.

Glad to have you here. You'll definitely be able to figure things out with all the useful info available. I probably went through hundreds of threads during my first month.

I don't want to talk you out of reta, but given that you've only been on tirzepatide for a year, have you considered going above the max dose through titration? A lot of people in the forum are running well past what the current clinical guidance says. I pinned 20mg this morning and I believe there are plenty of others above the max dose too.

Also, if you're comfortable, it might help to share a bit more about your situation, such as how much weight you've lost and how much more you have left to go, since that would let people give you more substantive responses.
 
About 2 months back I began tirz, and it's doing exactly what I expected. Alongside that, I'm stockpiling reta as a hedge for later, though I might also run a combo of the two. Best of luck!
 
Grogu said:


Welcome. There is so much great information here, you're sure to find your way. I think the first month I read hundreds of threads.

Not that I'm trying to discourage you from reta, but since you're only at a year on tirzepatide, I'm wondering if you've thought about titrating above the max dose? There are plenty of folks in the forum that are well above the current clinical guidance. I pinned 20mg this morning and I think that there are many others above the max dose.

Also, you might want to share a little more of your details if you feel comfortable, like how much weight you've lost and how much more you have to go as people could provide more substantive responses.

Click to expand...
Thanks — that was a really considerate reply. Upping my Tirz dose from the 15mg I'm on now hadn't crossed my mind. There's a 2 month supply still in my possession, so on my next injection day I might give that a shot. The scale is still moving down, but my hunger and food noise have been ramping up.

Sadly, 480lbs was my peak. Being honest, putting this in writing and seeing how far I let myself slide is depressing. I'm a 6'2" male and a retired football player. My muscle mass has stayed decent, which has helped when it comes to training and exercise. As of this morning the scale reads 399lbs. Another 150lbs is what I'm aiming to drop.

Again, thank you. I really appreciate it.
 
RT0123 said:


Thank you, I appreciate the thoughtful response. I have not considered moving up from my current 15mg Tirz. dosage. I have a 2 month supply left and may try this on my next injection day. I am still losing weight but have been noticing an increase in hunger/food noise.

My highest weight was unfortunately 480lbs. Honestly, it’s saddening writing this and realizing how bad I let things get. I am a 6’2” male, retired football player. Still have good muscle mass which has been helpful with training and exercise. I’m weighing in at 399lbs as of this morning. I’d like to lose 150 more lbs.

Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Click to expand...
Great progress so far! I've also allowed myself to slip. Being active my whole life, plus dealing with health issues, it's frustrating to realize there are things you simply can't do at the moment...But losing those 80lbs, I'm sure, brings that light at the end of the tunnel closer and closer. There's a solid thread on here about how, once you've shed some or all of the weight, you catch yourself judging bigger people you encounter out in public more harshly...and honestly, it isn't really about the strangers you pass, it's an internal guilt reaction tied to your own self and the situation you previously let yourself fall into....so best of luck on your next 150!.... 👍
 
Not sure why I put Grey in the non-compounded category. Lyphilised is likely the reason, though that really doesn't change anything technically. Domestic compounding gave me a poor result. (Weak shit) So my Squatchy take would be: bump the Tirz. Reta costs more than Tirz. Assuming Tirz has been doing its job, compounded or otherwise, imagine the results with a stronger product. Reta isn't something I oppose. A lot of people try stacking tirz with reta. Solid question. Happy to see your progress.
 
For a few months I've been dividing the doses of each and running tirz alongside reta. My appetite is kept firmly in check, and I haven't seen any negative reactions.
 
Great to have you here, welcome. This place is full of incredibly sharp folks. My own story: roughly 90lbs came off on Tirz around 2 years back, held steady for a year, and then I picked up reta through a vendor I came across on this forum, so at this point I am stepping the tirz down while building the reta up.

Because tirz does so much for hunger, once I reach 4-6mg of reta I will probably still take at least a small dose of it. Was switching necessary, and did I just make things harder on myself? Nope! But reta is so cheap and seems to carry even more non-weight related benefits than tirz, so did I want to give it a shot regardless? sure did!
 
FartfulCodger said:

I gave the switch a shot, but it wasn't a good fit for me, so I went back. That said, results vary from person to person, so I'd encourage you to try it—particularly because Reta brings some extra health advantages that Tirz doesn't.

What didn't work out for me:

1) Reta didn't curb my appetite. The main driver of my weight loss on Tirz was eating less. With Reta, I felt hungry. From what I've heard, Reta's appetite suppression may take a few weeks to show up.

2) Allodynia. That's an uncomfortable side effect where your skin becomes overly sensitive, as if you're sunburned all the time. It doesn't happen to everyone, so it might not be an issue in your case. According to some, staying hydrated and taking magnesium can ease this side effect. Others mention that Guaifensin (Mucinex) and/or antihistamines might help. I might give Reta another try soon as part of a maintenance plan, but for now I'm content with Tirz.
When moving to tirz, was it necessary to begin at 2.5 mg all over again?
 
Switched over 1 month ago. Tirz was at 15mg and I'd been stuck at the same weight for 6 months. There's still original supply sitting in my fridge that's good for another 3 months, so I'm lowering Tirz while increasing Reta. At 2mg currently, nothing much feels different and no weight is coming off. Across 2 years using Tirz, 120 pounds came off. 50 pounds remain. My hope is that going up on Reta will get me where I want to be.
 
Great job on what you've achieved. Truly remarkable. Hope everything goes well as you work toward the next 50lbs. My guess is the weight will come off once more as you increase your Reta dose. Let me know how it goes.
 
RT0123 said:


Thank you, I appreciate the thoughtful response. I have not considered moving up from my current 15mg Tirz. dosage. I have a 2 month supply left and may try this on my next injection day. I am still losing weight but have been noticing an increase in hunger/food noise.

My highest weight was unfortunately 480lbs. Honestly, it’s saddening writing this and realizing how bad I let things get. I am a 6’2” male, retired football player. Still have good muscle mass which has been helpful with training and exercise. I’m weighing in at 399lbs as of this morning. I’d like to lose 150 more lbs.

Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Click to expand...
Man, same situation here. I played D1 football, spent tons of time in the gym, and put in 30 years with the Air Force — then not long after retiring, I wrecked my leg badly, and across 11 months I put on 65lbs. I'm only 2 weeks into Tirz and have already dropped 10lbs, though I've also gotten back to lifting. My starting point was 350lbs, I'm at 340lbs now, aiming for 250lbs, and I stand 6'6".
 
RT0123 said:


Thank you, I appreciate the thoughtful response. I have not considered moving up from my current 15mg Tirz. dosage. I have a 2 month supply left and may try this on my next injection day. I am still losing weight but have been noticing an increase in hunger/food noise.

My highest weight was unfortunately 480lbs. Honestly, it’s saddening writing this and realizing how bad I let things get. I am a 6’2” male, retired football player. Still have good muscle mass which has been helpful with training and exercise. I’m weighing in at 399lbs as of this morning. I’d like to lose 150 more lbs.

Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Click to expand...
Bud, nobody here judges anyone for their weight. Wishing you the best.
 
brah389 said:


Dude, I'm right there with you. Former D1 football player, huge gym rat and did 30 years in the Air Force but right after I retired I suffered a catastrophic leg injury in which over 11 months I gained 65lbs. Just started my Tirz journey 2 weeks ago and already down 10lbs but also started back in the gym. Started at 350lbs and currently 340lbs with a goal weight of 250lbs but I'm also 6'6".

Click to expand...
That whole post-service weight thing is a genuine problem, ha ha — Airforce here, same background. My starting point was 24lbs, and right now I'm at 221, aiming for 165lbs. At 5'6", 165 works well for me. Optavia for diet, exercise, and Tirz are what I rely on. These days I'm dropping roughly 4lbs each week (the VA and my personal doctor keep close tabs on it). Every one of my health markers is improving. Best of luck with your own journey.
 
RT0123 said:

Hello everyone. It's genuinely nice to be part of this group, and I'm picking up a great deal from all of you. My 1st year using Tirz went really well. I'm at the max dosage now, and the effects are beginning to fade.

I'm here to get educated on Reta and how to switch over. Up to now I've gone through a low-cost US compounding provider, but I'm ready to take the leap into the world of Reta.

Thank you for letting me learn from your experiences and insights. I appreciate it.
Reaching that kind of result in just 1 year is seriously impressive. Everything you've managed to do deserves real praise. I'm going to switch over to Reta in the near future — I just have to place my initial order first. Personally, I've lost roughly 28lbs over 6 weeks, though once Tirz was added, I began seeing big weekly drops. I'll be watching for whatever updates you share regarding your progress.
 
BigDog8084 said:


I think that post service weight is a really issue, ha ha, i'm prior Airforce. I started out at 24lbs, currently 221 with a goal of 165lbs. Im 5'6" so 165 is a good weight for me. Dieting (optavia), working out, and Tirz are my go to. Currently losing around 4lbs a week (closely monitored by VA and personal doctor). All my health stats are coming along. Good luck on your journey.

Click to expand...
No joke! Retirement made me more active, sure, but I figured pizza and beer could serve as my personal food pyramid. Then, 5 months into retirement, I badly broke a bone just above my right ankle — a severe compound fracture. That meant 5 months stuck on the couch and 3 surgeries, and I'm still healing from all of it. Tirz genuinely saved my life!

Did your VA agree to prescribe anything to help with weight loss? The VA where I go won't even run bloodwork for my hormones — they refuse to touch that side of things. But here's the kicker: if your cholesterol shows 5 points above 200, suddenly they're pushing statins on you nonstop!
 
brah389 said:


You ain't kidding! Even though my life got more active after retirement, I decided that pizza and beer could be my new food pyramid, but, I did suffer a severe compound fracture just above my Rt ankle 5 months after I retired which required 5 months of couch surfing and 3 surgeries that im still recovering from. Tirz has been an absolute life saver!

Were you able to get the VA to prescribe you anything for weight loss? My VA here won't even do bloodwork for my hormones here, they want nothing to do with that but boy let me tell ya, you got 5 points over 200 on your cholesterol, they're shoving stains down your throat!

Click to expand...
The Tirz prescription is nearly in my hands — there's a program called Move I still have to complete. On all the other criteria, I'm already eligible. Using it isn't part of my plan, though. Within the next month, I'll be making the switch to Reta. Semaglutide was simple to get approved for, but it wasn't what I was after, so I held off. Then I came across this forum, and after doing plenty of research, Reta looks like the right path for me. My plan is to place an order, have it tested, and with any luck, I'll be all set.
 
Back
Top