Dose reduction needed after post-vacation food reaction?

Mara_aa

Explorer
Joined
Jan 18, 2026
Messages
171
Reaction score
0
Location
Italy
I spent 4 days on my very first short cruise to test whether that style of trip suits me (answer: NO WAY, NOT EVER AGAIN). Boarding happened Wednesday, and Sunday was our return. My Tirz shot fell on Friday night.

I did my best to act like a grown-up: nothing wild, barely any drinks, only far more carbs than I normally eat, since each dessert on board acted like it would take personal offense if I skipped a bite. I had braced myself for the usual “cruise souvenir pounds”, but nothing could have prepared me for Saturday morning (roughly 12 hours after the shot).

I passed out in the bathroom, so my husband called the ship’s doctor. Terrible diarrhea, awful cramps… the whole cruise-ship nightmare. After 6 months of treatment, I never expected this kind of thing to happen.

Two things scare me now: my next injection and… getting on the scale.

So I want to ask all of you: based on what you’ve seen, when something like this happens, should the next pin be a lower dose, or is returning to my regular diet by itself enough to prevent another mess?
 
Such a reaction happens often when taking GLP, yet going back to the regular way of eating ought to bring things back to how they were.
 
vale113 said:

Such a reaction happens often when taking GLP, yet going back to the regular way of eating ought to bring things back to how they were.
Yeah, I realize this happens a lot, but six months in, I really wasn’t ready for it to hit me over just two pastries and an Aperol Spritz. Now I’m wondering if my gut is simply too sensitive to even the smallest shift in what I eat, or if this is some kind of payback from a past life 🙄

I really appreciate you breaking it down for me. Fingers crossed that next Friday goes off without a hitch 🫶
 
Mara_aa said:

I spent 4 days on my very first short cruise to test whether that style of trip suits me (answer: NO WAY, NOT EVER AGAIN). Boarding happened Wednesday, and Sunday was our return. My Tirz shot fell on Friday night.

I did my best to act like a grown-up: nothing wild, barely any drinks, only far more carbs than I normally eat, since each dessert on board acted like it would take personal offense if I skipped a bite. I had braced myself for the usual “cruise souvenir pounds”, but nothing could have prepared me for Saturday morning (roughly 12 hours after the shot).

I passed out in the bathroom, so my husband called the ship’s doctor. Terrible diarrhea, awful cramps… the whole cruise-ship nightmare. After 6 months of treatment, I never expected this kind of thing to happen.

Two things scare me now: my next injection and… getting on the scale.

So I want to ask all of you: based on what you’ve seen, when something like this happens, should the next pin be a lower dose, or is returning to my regular diet by itself enough to prevent another mess?
Let’s hold off on pointing fingers at the food for a second. Quick question: any chance this was Jeep Cruise Lines?
 
Mara_aa said:

vale113 said:

Such a reaction happens often when taking GLP, yet going back to the regular way of eating ought to bring things back to how they were.
Yeah, I realize this happens a lot, but six months in, I really wasn’t ready for it to hit me over just two pastries and an Aperol Spritz. Now I’m wondering if my gut is simply too sensitive to even the smallest shift in what I eat, or if this is some kind of payback from a past life 🙄

I really appreciate you breaking it down for me. Fingers crossed that next Friday goes off without a hitch 🫶
To be honest, this comes across more like a stomach bug than a plain Glp1 side effect. The way it hit so fast and hard, plus passing out — cruises are famous for spreading that stuff... basically floating petri dishes.

Sure, Tirz can make you react more strongly to heavy or sweet foods, but six months in, it typically wouldn't appear out of nowhere from a few pastries and a single cocktail.

It could simply be unlucky timing — a virus, with the injection layered on top. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you're suddenly “too sensitive” after just this one time.

My suggestion: wait until you're completely over it, VERY well hydrated, and eating normally again before taking your next dose. Should it repeat, that's when adjusting the dose deserves another look.
 
Jfrick11 said:

Mara_aa said:

vale113 said:

Such a reaction happens often when taking GLP, yet going back to the regular way of eating ought to bring things back to how they were.
Yeah, I realize this happens a lot, but six months in, I really wasn’t ready for it to hit me over just two pastries and an Aperol Spritz. Now I’m wondering if my gut is simply too sensitive to even the smallest shift in what I eat, or if this is some kind of payback from a past life 🙄

I really appreciate you breaking it down for me. Fingers crossed that next Friday goes off without a hitch 🫶
To be honest, this comes across more like a stomach bug than a plain Glp1 side effect. The way it hit so fast and hard, plus passing out — cruises are famous for spreading that stuff... basically floating petri dishes.

Sure, Tirz can make you react more strongly to heavy or sweet foods, but six months in, it typically wouldn't appear out of nowhere from a few pastries and a single cocktail.

It could simply be unlucky timing — a virus, with the injection layered on top. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you're suddenly “too sensitive” after just this one time.

My suggestion: wait until you're completely over it, VERY well hydrated, and eating normally again before taking your next dose. Should it repeat, that's when adjusting the dose deserves another look.
Tirz might be responsible, but this still looks like the strongest explanation.

Now about the number on the scale. Glycogen stored in your muscles is the first thing your body burns when a deficit starts, and it's also the first thing that gets replenished once you're eating in a surplus. Here's the catch: each gram of glycogen you drop or regain drags 3-4 grams of water along with it. That's the reason almost anybody on a diet watches the scale plunge during week 1. Out of a five pound drop, maybe 1 pound is glycogen and the other 4 pounds are water. Go into a surplus and the exact same process runs backward. Bottom line: over such a short stretch you almost certainly didn't add fat, unless the surplus was really extreme, and from what you're describing it wasn't, so whatever the scale is showing should come off again without much trouble.
 
Rolltide61 said:

Mara_aa said:

I spent 4 days on my very first short cruise to test whether that style of trip suits me (answer: NO WAY, NOT EVER AGAIN). Boarding happened Wednesday, and Sunday was our return. My Tirz shot fell on Friday night.

I did my best to act like a grown-up: nothing wild, barely any drinks, only far more carbs than I normally eat, since each dessert on board acted like it would take personal offense if I skipped a bite. I had braced myself for the usual “cruise souvenir pounds”, but nothing could have prepared me for Saturday morning (roughly 12 hours after the shot).

I passed out in the bathroom, so my husband called the ship’s doctor. Terrible diarrhea, awful cramps… the whole cruise-ship nightmare. After 6 months of treatment, I never expected this kind of thing to happen.

Two things scare me now: my next injection and… getting on the scale.

So I want to ask all of you: based on what you’ve seen, when something like this happens, should the next pin be a lower dose, or is returning to my regular diet by itself enough to prevent another mess?
Let’s hold off on pointing fingers at the food for a second. Quick question: any chance this was Jeep Cruise Lines?
Muahahahaha I nearly coughed up a lung — thanks, I haven’t laughed like that in ages! And no, thankfully it wasn’t that cruise line.
 
Jfrick11 said:

Mara_aa said:

vale113 said:

Such a reaction happens often when taking GLP, yet going back to the regular way of eating ought to bring things back to how they were.
Yeah, I realize this happens a lot, but six months in, I really wasn’t ready for it to hit me over just two pastries and an Aperol Spritz. Now I’m wondering if my gut is simply too sensitive to even the smallest shift in what I eat, or if this is some kind of payback from a past life 🙄

I really appreciate you breaking it down for me. Fingers crossed that next Friday goes off without a hitch 🫶
To be honest, this comes across more like a stomach bug than a plain Glp1 side effect. The way it hit so fast and hard, plus passing out — cruises are famous for spreading that stuff... basically floating petri dishes.

Sure, Tirz can make you react more strongly to heavy or sweet foods, but six months in, it typically wouldn't appear out of nowhere from a few pastries and a single cocktail.

It could simply be unlucky timing — a virus, with the injection layered on top. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you're suddenly “too sensitive” after just this one time.

My suggestion: wait until you're completely over it, VERY well hydrated, and eating normally again before taking your next dose. Should it repeat, that's when adjusting the dose deserves another look.
You're right, that's reasonable. With how soon this hit and how strong it was, it could genuinely be a stomach bug on top of the shot.

I'm not rushing anything, getting fluids in is honestly tough at the moment, and I won't take the next dose until I'm back to normal.

Should it happen again, I'll rethink things then.

I appreciate you offering that angle. 🫶
 
5byfive said:

Jfrick11 said:

Mara_aa said:

vale113 said:

Such a reaction happens often when taking GLP, yet going back to the regular way of eating ought to bring things back to how they were.
Yeah, I realize this happens a lot, but six months in, I really wasn’t ready for it to hit me over just two pastries and an Aperol Spritz. Now I’m wondering if my gut is simply too sensitive to even the smallest shift in what I eat, or if this is some kind of payback from a past life 🙄

I really appreciate you breaking it down for me. Fingers crossed that next Friday goes off without a hitch 🫶
To be honest, this comes across more like a stomach bug than a plain Glp1 side effect. The way it hit so fast and hard, plus passing out — cruises are famous for spreading that stuff... basically floating petri dishes.

Sure, Tirz can make you react more strongly to heavy or sweet foods, but six months in, it typically wouldn't appear out of nowhere from a few pastries and a single cocktail.

It could simply be unlucky timing — a virus, with the injection layered on top. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you're suddenly “too sensitive” after just this one time.

My suggestion: wait until you're completely over it, VERY well hydrated, and eating normally again before taking your next dose. Should it repeat, that's when adjusting the dose deserves another look.
Tirz might be responsible, but this still looks like the strongest explanation.

Now about the number on the scale. Glycogen stored in your muscles is the first thing your body burns when a deficit starts, and it's also the first thing that gets replenished once you're eating in a surplus. Here's the catch: each gram of glycogen you drop or regain drags 3-4 grams of water along with it. That's the reason almost anybody on a diet watches the scale plunge during week 1. Out of a five pound drop, maybe 1 pound is glycogen and the other 4 pounds are water. Go into a surplus and the exact same process runs backward. Bottom line: over such a short stretch you almost certainly didn't add fat, unless the surplus was really extreme, and from what you're describing it wasn't, so whatever the scale is showing should come off again without much trouble.

Yep, that tracks.

Plus the glycogen and water movement accounts for what the scale showed exactly. There's no way I came anywhere near an actual surplus.

Appreciate you laying it out so plainly and calming me down: the scale and I are far more enemies than friends, so that was exactly what I needed. 🫶
 
If you're going to let yourself have a good time, there's no harm in missing a dose. For me personally, greasy and carb‑heavy meals tend to bother my stomach. Taking a weekend away from it doesn't cause any problems. In fact, topping up your glycogen stores could actually help with losing weight.
 
Waterheater said:

If you're going to let yourself have a good time, there's no harm in missing a dose. For me personally, greasy and carb‑heavy meals tend to bother my stomach. Taking a weekend away from it doesn't cause any problems. In fact, topping up your glycogen stores could actually help with losing weight.
Yeah, a brief pause does occur and there's no point in getting worked up about it. Fingers crossed it ends up giving me a small lift.
 
Mara_aa said:

I spent 4 days on my very first short cruise to test whether that style of trip suits me (answer: NO WAY, NOT EVER AGAIN). Boarding happened Wednesday, and Sunday was our return. My Tirz shot fell on Friday night.

I did my best to act like a grown-up: nothing wild, barely any drinks, only far more carbs than I normally eat, since each dessert on board acted like it would take personal offense if I skipped a bite. I had braced myself for the usual “cruise souvenir pounds”, but nothing could have prepared me for Saturday morning (roughly 12 hours after the shot).

I passed out in the bathroom, so my husband called the ship’s doctor. Terrible diarrhea, awful cramps… the whole cruise-ship nightmare. After 6 months of treatment, I never expected this kind of thing to happen.

Two things scare me now: my next injection and… getting on the scale.

So I want to ask all of you: based on what you’ve seen, when something like this happens, should the next pin be a lower dose, or is returning to my regular diet by itself enough to prevent another mess?

Losing consciousness means you should get checked out by your primary care provider. Asking on GLP1Chat.com why you're passing out isn't appropriate.

That said, what you're describing resembles a GI bug, which is pretty typical on cruises. It also sounds like a rough case.

Still, please go see an actual doctor.
 
wildweasel said:

Mara_aa said:

I spent 4 days on my very first short cruise to test whether that style of trip suits me (answer: NO WAY, NOT EVER AGAIN). Boarding happened Wednesday, and Sunday was our return. My Tirz shot fell on Friday night.

I did my best to act like a grown-up: nothing wild, barely any drinks, only far more carbs than I normally eat, since each dessert on board acted like it would take personal offense if I skipped a bite. I had braced myself for the usual “cruise souvenir pounds”, but nothing could have prepared me for Saturday morning (roughly 12 hours after the shot).

I passed out in the bathroom, so my husband called the ship’s doctor. Terrible diarrhea, awful cramps… the whole cruise-ship nightmare. After 6 months of treatment, I never expected this kind of thing to happen.

Two things scare me now: my next injection and… getting on the scale.

So I want to ask all of you: based on what you’ve seen, when something like this happens, should the next pin be a lower dose, or is returning to my regular diet by itself enough to prevent another mess?

Losing consciousness means you should get checked out by your primary care provider. Asking on GLP1Chat.com why you're passing out isn't appropriate.

That said, what you're describing resembles a GI bug, which is pretty typical on cruises. It also sounds like a rough case.

Still, please go see an actual doctor.
Appreciate the reply — let me make one thing clearer, since it looks like my original question got read in a very literal way.

"Is it better" was never meant as a request for the forum to take over my care.

The ship's doctor plus a short call to my endocrinologist already handled the medical part.

My actual reason for posting is a different one, and it's exactly the kind of thing this space is for:

hearing from GLP‑1 users who've been in a similar spot — how did you handle the following dose?

Lived experience carries a lot of weight for me. Otherwise I'd simply leave it to the doctors, who are great, but none of them have GLP‑1 circulating in their own bloodstream.😅

If that distinction got lost, it's probably just what happens when strangers skim each other's posts.

No hard feelings. 😌
 
My gut has always reacted strongly whenever my diet shifts, and on top of that I have ulcerative colitis and ibs-d. That said, if someone had been eating well for months and then out of nowhere switched to heavy, fatty meals, I'd expect them to react much the same way — ideally minus the passing out. Because gut function depends on the state it's in, a sudden dietary switch can produce surprising outcomes, and that's far more probable for people whose guts are sensitive.

Still, food poisoning and gastro are famously widespread on cruise ships as well.
 
lessthanhalf said:

My gut has always reacted strongly whenever my diet shifts, and on top of that I have ulcerative colitis and ibs-d. That said, if someone had been eating well for months and then out of nowhere switched to heavy, fatty meals, I'd expect them to react much the same way — ideally minus the passing out. Because gut function depends on the state it's in, a sudden dietary switch can produce surprising outcomes, and that's far more probable for people whose guts are sensitive.

Still, food poisoning and gastro are famously widespread on cruise ships as well.
Thanks for telling me about your situation — it's genuinely useful to get input from another person whose gut reacts easily.

UC and IBS aren't part of my picture, but even tiny dietary shifts set me off, so your description lands close to home.

Food poisoning and gastro are off the table in my mind, mind you — this was a Costa cruise and the kitchen side was managed very cautiously (then again, I shouldn't be too certain) 🙄.

What struck me as strange was the timing: my eating had already been different for a couple of days, and roughly 12 hours after the shot everything fell apart.

Honestly, your read could be spot on — perhaps my gut held it together for a couple of days and then simply signalled “okay, that’s enough now”.

Thanks once more for offering your angle 🫶
 
Mara_aa said:

lessthanhalf said:

My gut has always reacted strongly whenever my diet shifts, and on top of that I have ulcerative colitis and ibs-d. That said, if someone had been eating well for months and then out of nowhere switched to heavy, fatty meals, I'd expect them to react much the same way — ideally minus the passing out. Because gut function depends on the state it's in, a sudden dietary switch can produce surprising outcomes, and that's far more probable for people whose guts are sensitive.

Still, food poisoning and gastro are famously widespread on cruise ships as well.
Thanks for telling me about your situation — it's genuinely useful to get input from another person whose gut reacts easily.

UC and IBS aren't part of my picture, but even tiny dietary shifts set me off, so your description lands close to home.

Food poisoning and gastro are off the table in my mind, mind you — this was a Costa cruise and the kitchen side was managed very cautiously (then again, I shouldn't be too certain) 🙄.

What struck me as strange was the timing: my eating had already been different for a couple of days, and roughly 12 hours after the shot everything fell apart.

Honestly, your read could be spot on — perhaps my gut held it together for a couple of days and then simply signalled “okay, that’s enough now”.

Thanks once more for offering your angle 🫶
......and I keep wondering how any of this would actually get tested.....................

😎

lol
 
Zydeceltico said:

Mara_aa said:

lessthanhalf said:

My gut has always reacted strongly whenever my diet shifts, and on top of that I have ulcerative colitis and ibs-d. That said, if someone had been eating well for months and then out of nowhere switched to heavy, fatty meals, I'd expect them to react much the same way — ideally minus the passing out. Because gut function depends on the state it's in, a sudden dietary switch can produce surprising outcomes, and that's far more probable for people whose guts are sensitive.

Still, food poisoning and gastro are famously widespread on cruise ships as well.
Thanks for telling me about your situation — it's genuinely useful to get input from another person whose gut reacts easily.

UC and IBS aren't part of my picture, but even tiny dietary shifts set me off, so your description lands close to home.

Food poisoning and gastro are off the table in my mind, mind you — this was a Costa cruise and the kitchen side was managed very cautiously (then again, I shouldn't be too certain) 🙄.

What struck me as strange was the timing: my eating had already been different for a couple of days, and roughly 12 hours after the shot everything fell apart.

Honestly, your read could be spot on — perhaps my gut held it together for a couple of days and then simply signalled “okay, that’s enough now”.

Thanks once more for offering your angle 🫶
......and I keep wondering how any of this would actually get tested.....................

😎

lol
You're right, I was way too hopeful there. Obviously a real test is needed. The logical move would be for Costa to have us return and run the whole thing again, preferably with extra cocktails and less drama. Purely for the sake of scientific rigor.
 
Back
Top