Does elora work only by curbing appetite, or does it also change metabolism like GLP-1s?

jafarrr61020

Explorer
Joined
Mar 18, 2026
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Location
Portland, OR
I've come across claims that elora suppresses appetite more strongly than the current big 3 (sema, tirz, reta), and I've been trying to find clear information on whether appetite suppression is its sole route to weight loss, or whether it also has other metabolic effects that play a role, the way GLP-1s do?

I use tirz and have lost some weight, but side effects have kept me at medium doses even though my average loss is only 0.5 lb per week overall, and it's lower now in month eight. What draws me to elora is specifically its HR reduction side effect, since my main tirz side effect is a significant rise in HR that makes sleeping and exercising difficult. Still, I don't need more appetite suppression, and I'm eager to understand elora's mechanism of action better. Has anyone come across this in the literature? A link would be much appreciated, thank you!
 
jafarrr61020 said:

I've come across claims that elora suppresses appetite more strongly than the current big 3 (sema, tirz, reta), and I've been trying to find clear information on whether appetite suppression is its sole route to weight loss, or whether it also has other metabolic effects that play a role, the way GLP-1s do?

I use tirz and have lost some weight, but side effects have kept me at medium doses even though my average loss is only 0.5 lb per week overall, and it's lower now in month eight. What draws me to elora is specifically its HR reduction side effect, since my main tirz side effect is a significant rise in HR that makes sleeping and exercising difficult. Still, I don't need more appetite suppression, and I'm eager to understand elora's mechanism of action better. Has anyone come across this in the literature? A link would be much appreciated, thank you!
Going by what's out there in the public domain—which isn't much yet—the main mechanism behind the weight loss seems to be appetite suppression. I'm not aware of any published data showing that elora raises energy expenditure on its own or produces the wide-ranging metabolic effects that GLP-1 agonists do.

The drops in heart rate and blood pressure are certainly noteworthy, but they don't automatically mean metabolism goes up—if anything, they might point in the other direction.
 
Scorpio73 said:

jafarrr61020 said:

I've come across claims that elora suppresses appetite more strongly than the current big 3 (sema, tirz, reta), and I've been trying to find clear information on whether appetite suppression is its sole route to weight loss, or whether it also has other metabolic effects that play a role, the way GLP-1s do?

I use tirz and have lost some weight, but side effects have kept me at medium doses even though my average loss is only 0.5 lb per week overall, and it's lower now in month eight. What draws me to elora is specifically its HR reduction side effect, since my main tirz side effect is a significant rise in HR that makes sleeping and exercising difficult. Still, I don't need more appetite suppression, and I'm eager to understand elora's mechanism of action better. Has anyone come across this in the literature? A link would be much appreciated, thank you!
Going by what's out there in the public domain—which isn't much yet—the main mechanism behind the weight loss seems to be appetite suppression. I'm not aware of any published data showing that elora raises energy expenditure on its own or produces the wide-ranging metabolic effects that GLP-1 agonists do.

The drops in heart rate and blood pressure are certainly noteworthy, but they don't automatically mean metabolism goes up—if anything, they might point in the other direction.
That exact idea crossed my mind too — honestly, it doesn't make intuitive sense. Watching how this unfolds should be fascinating; given those remarkable trial results, it feels like this topic is going to get a huge amount of attention.
 
This is something I've been mulling over too. If amylin agonists only worked by curbing appetite, what would be the point of my enthusiasm for eloralintide? Semaglutide already cuts my appetite substantially — I could have stuck with that and been done with it.

From what I've come across, though, there may be additional mechanisms at play with amylin agonists. Amylin signaling crosstalks with central leptin pathways and, in animal models at least, might help restore some leptin responsiveness.

In typical obesity, circulating leptin is usually abundant since fat tissue produces it. What seems to go wrong is that the brain can become less sensitive to leptin's message about the body's longer-term energy reserves.

Theoretically, then, amylin agonists could affect how the body regulates or "defends" its weight, rather than only influencing how hungry a person feels. You could loosely link that to weight set point theory, though that idea is still contested.

It's much too soon to claim that eloralintide can reset anyone's weight set point, or that improved leptin sensitivity is a meaningful driver of its weight-loss effects in humans. Still, that possibility is one reason amylin agonists strike me as so fascinating.
 
Back
Top