Does anyone else find that hunger suppression ramps up the more active they are?

Kitty Paws

Explorer
Joined
Jun 4, 2026
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
Over the last few weeks this is something I keep seeing, and I'm curious whether other people experience the same thing. After a hike of 10+ miles or more, eating is impossible for me — even water is hard to get down — and yet my energy levels are sky high, which honestly feels bizarre. That state lingers for 2-3 days afterward, and during that stretch forcing down any food is a real struggle. Once it passes, my appetite comes back and I'm back to my usual 1 meal/day routine. It seems to happen whenever I'm doing a lot of physical activity; it's like the reta gets amplified and my hunger is completely wiped out.
 
Kitty Paws said:


I've noticed it happens every time I do a lot of physical activity, like it intensifies the reta and completely nukes my hunger.

Click to expand...
Same thing happens to me. My lifting sessions are just 3 mornings per week, and in the past those were the days my body would be demanding food within 2 hours after training. Since I began reta, the response has flipped, and I can only manage to eat around 3-4 hours after I get back, and even then it's just small amounts here and there. On my non-workout days, the reverse occurs. There's a low-level food noise sitting in the background of my mind, but actual "hunger" never shows up, and usually I can shut it down with a carrot and a big glass of water. Adjusting to this was tough, because now my high activity days leave me less hungry than my low activity days.

My guess is that it comes down to how the body reacts after running mainly on fat for fuel. Even back when I was doing IF, the easiest days to handle were always the ones where I was most active. Tearing apart the house for remodeling, yard work, paddle boarding down the river - each of those kept my body distracted enough that I'd be 3 hours into my eating window before food even entered my thoughts. Perhaps the body reads a deficit or a big energy burn as survival mode and dials down hunger so you can keep all your attention on "the hunt" 😂
 
Same here. I hadn't considered digging into it, but after reading your question I poked around a bit. Apparently hard training can raise GLP output while lowering Ghrelin output. So feeling less hungry on days you work out is a real thing.




410a1788791dc7101ec17a00147ea445720f1442d347a088cfd0b77974dc02b7.webp
 
This happens even without glp's. With glp's it hits harder. Working out stands in for food and puts out cortisol. It's a survival mechanism. Back before glps, a brisk walk was my dinner, and a brisk walk was my breakfast too. My cortisal ran very high, which isn't nessassarly a good thing for you.
 
So far every one of these replies is on point!!! This holds particularly true when it comes to Reta, and it happens on its own even if you're not on a GLP. The GIP and Glucagon parts make the impact of cardio much stronger. Whatever you do, keep moving forward.
 
Yeah, same here. But one thing I've picked up on is that salty stuff can be really risky. Maybe it's just me, or maybe there's actual science to back it up, but it feels like my palate's salt cravings slip right past the suppression. I've got to watch myself around them, since overdoing it leads to serious regret later. When it comes to sweets, though, I have no pull toward them at all — a single bite and I'm completely put off. That works in my favor, given that diabetes is right around the corner for me.
 
Kitty Paws said:


I've noticed this pattern over the past few weeks I was wondering if anyone else goes through it too. Every time I go on a 10+ mile hike I cannot eat, I can't even drink water, yet I have so much energy, it's really strange. It stays for 2-3 days afterwards, it's extremely difficult to force myself to eat anything during those days, then my appetite returns and I go back to my 1 meal/day routine. I've noticed it happens every time I do a lot of physical activity, like it intensifies the reta and completely nukes my hunger.

Click to expand...

My experience has been the complete reverse, and that held true even during a stretch when I was taking Tirz at the Max dose.

These days I'm on 6mg of Reta. Rather than craving every single food in sight, what I usually end up wanting is a greek yogurt bowl or a salad, and once I've had that I feel satisfied.
 
Yesterday I worked out harder than I have at any point over the past year. My appetite didn't shift at all, in either direction. Back before GLPs, exercise usually made me hungrier.
 
Today was my first day lifting after my very first Reta pin, and I demolished my normal bowl of yogurt, chia seeds, protein, and granola. Even so, I'm "full" and have no desire for anything else, so I suppose that counts for something.
 
5byfive said:

Same here. I hadn't considered digging into it, but after reading your question I poked around a bit. Apparently hard training can raise GLP output while lowering Ghrelin output. So feeling less hungry on days you work out is a real thing.




View attachment 13864

Hmm. For me it's the opposite — I really wish activity worked that way. Whenever I run, my appetite goes through the roof.
 
Shittersfull said:

This happens even without glp's. With glp's it hits harder. Working out stands in for food and puts out cortisol. It's a survival mechanism. Back before glps, a brisk walk was my dinner, and a brisk walk was my breakfast too. My cortisal ran very high, which isn't nessassarly a good thing for you.
Really pushing my luck here! (Call it the Cortisol Edge). On my rest days, when I go for a run in the morning, the exact same thing happens to me — my appetite gets crushed... and then it hits me: "Oh SHIT!! I got the eat something!.." 😆😆
 
frizzle-fry said:

Yeah, same here. But one thing I've picked up on is that salty stuff can be really risky. Maybe it's just me, or maybe there's actual science to back it up, but it feels like my palate's salt cravings slip right past the suppression. I've got to watch myself around them, since overdoing it leads to serious regret later. When it comes to sweets, though, I have no pull toward them at all — a single bite and I'm completely put off. That works in my favor, given that diabetes is right around the corner for me.
That profile pic is great! 😍😍🥰🥰 (I've got a black cat too, always begging for food and never grateful)
 
endlrls said:

That profile pic is great! 😍😍🥰🥰 (I've got a black cat too, always begging for food and never grateful)
He's a bottomless pit, though at least he has manners, which is more than I can say for the other 2. It's pretty funny, honestly — he constantly wears the expression of someone in the middle of a major existential crisis. Which, to be fair, he probably is, since he isn't the brightest. He's bonded with my tortie, and they go by Pip and Squeak 😊
 
frizzle-fry said:

He's a bottomless pit, though at least he has manners, which is more than I can say for the other 2. It's pretty funny, honestly — he constantly wears the expression of someone in the middle of a major existential crisis. Which, to be fair, he probably is, since he isn't the brightest. He's bonded with my tortie, and they go by Pip and Squeak 😊
Life's little ironies — my sister's first 2 dogs, both gone now, went by the names "Pip and Squeak"... a pair of tiny white fluff balls, and brothers too...

"Existential Crisis and Bottomless pit"!! lol... Mine is simply a nuisance at times.. though he is a sweetheart..

854acc91d282bb833b6e6b64b9f68839f50c7e7f5df04e8479a6736496927457.webp


(THOR is what he's called... and judging people is his full time job too... )
 
endlrls said:

Life's little ironies — my sister's first 2 dogs, both gone now, went by the names "Pip and Squeak"... a pair of tiny white fluff balls, and brothers too...

"Existential Crisis and Bottomless pit"!! lol... Mine is simply a nuisance at times.. though he is a sweetheart..

/

(THOR is what he's called... and judging people is his full time job too... )
Aww, he seems like such a sweetheart
 
Last week I began doing some light weightlifting at home, mainly to try to firm some of this up. I've been feeling okay, and I'm not pushing myself to exhaustion.
 
Back
Top