Do you tell your Dr you're on peps?

No way. Most doctors are clueless when it comes to peptides or anything big pharma isn't promoting. Any problem you've got, they'll pin it on the peptides. On top of that, I've heard there can be insurance consequences if your insurer discovers you're using "research chemicals" or other non-fda approved items.
 
It’s wild that talking about this stuff with our doctors has to stay hidden. I came across someone mentioning they requested a prescription for H. bac from their dr and ended up with a full case for $10. So lucky
 
In my opinion, being upfront with your PCP is the better route.

Your primary care provider has to understand what could be affecting your health and wellness, and they also need to keep tracking your labs. They review your existing medications, so having the full picture matters a great deal. If a PCP reacts unprofessionally to a personal decision you've made, go find one who handles it better.

In SWFL, quite a few PCPs put patients first and genuinely care about helping people improve their wellness. There's no judgment, and they'll support labs along with consultation.

I understand the hesitation to trust, particularly once insurance enters the equation. Still, for the best outcome, your primary care provider needs to have that trust.
 
I've got a colonoscopy scheduled, so I told them I was using Tirz from an online Doc. That's not true, obviously. What I'm actually taking is reta, and where it comes from is definitely not a local compounder. There are also several other peptides I'm using that I left out. My worry is that if my use of these things gets out, my insurance company could end up denying me coverage.
 
First I'd feel out the doctor's stance on peptides. Should they seem favorable, I'd be upfront; if they don't, I'd keep it to myself and find a different physician who's more willing to educate themselves about peptides. That way, even if they never take them, they can at least gain knowledge and evaluate whether peptides might help their patients.
 
I haven't had a reason to visit my doctor so far, but if that changed, I would be upfront with her.

Some time back, I mentioned to her that I was aiming to drop a substantial amount of weight. She replied, "That's going to be difficult without medication," since I had also shared that sticking with diets and lifestyle adjustments was a struggle for me. At that point, I was 96 kg.

Beyond that, my view is that if trusting your doctor with something like this isn't possible (we're not discussing heroin here), then that doctor likely isn't the right fit for you.

Edit: I'm in Belgium, so insurance problems don't exist here.
 
angeliquereta said:

notfatanymore123 said:

I kept it from mine. If I had told her, she'd realize she never wrote me a rx for it. She'd see that I take chances, and she'd be warier about what she hands me down the line. Pain meds or benzos, for instance. Would she suspect I'd misuse them?

My own view is that grey peps carry less risk than morbid obesity.
I let her know, since in case something goes wrong, I want a proper diagnosis. She's already written me a prescription for it, but my insurance won't pay because I don't have diabetes or any other condition—just sleep apnea, which isn't covered in Canada—even though I'm not dealing with morbid obesity. So she gets it, even if she doesn't agree.
because I still have a Mounjaro prescription, I'm able to be honest with my doctor.

once I started using the grey market, I kept getting the prescription anyway. I simply put the grey market product into it..

That's assuming I can ever make up my mind about a source...
 
BNLFL said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck no.
Weren't you off it for a stretch prior to that rectal exam?
Yeah lol, my doctors were aware of the tirz but had no clue about the hgh, motsc, ipamorelin, or the wolverine blend I was experimenting with. And they definitely didn't know my tirz was gray 😅
 
My Tirz comes from my Dr.'s prescription, and it's compounded.

As for other peps, I don't bring them up with him much. SS-31, BPC-157, and Semax are things he's aware I use.

Still, going into too much detail seems unwise to me, since his interest in the subject is limited or he simply doesn't care to discuss it. Around here, plenty of clinics exist that will hand over whatever peptides you ask for and I'm sure they'd chat with you about them as long as you like. Paying a premium for peptides isn't something I want to do, though, when I can purchase and reconstitute them on my own, then come here and talk them over with other users at no cost.

For HRT and/or TRT, those clinics make sense, but when it comes to peptides, my view is that it's a DIY project.
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

BNLFL said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck no.
Weren't you off it for a stretch prior to that rectal exam?
Yeah lol, my doctors were aware of the tirz but had no clue about the hgh, motsc, ipamorelin, or the wolverine blend I was experimenting with. And they definitely didn't know my tirz was gray 😅

Telling my doctor that I plan to begin Ipamorelin is something I simply cannot picture. He is among the more open-minded physicians out there for a person seeking functional medicine, yet he has never managed to complete that shift. His practice split off from the hospital system, but it has not fully cut ties with it either. Switching to a doctor who practices functional medicine entirely is something I want, though the skilled ones cost an absolute fortune.

In any case, raising any drug from the morelin family and receiving the 'but cancer!' reply would practically guarantee that I need to find a different doctor, lol. A remark he made not long ago regarding BPC-157, which appears to have no basis whatsoever, already left me upset. I requested data from him and naturally none exists. So peptides are no longer something I bring up.
 
I'm completely open with my PCP since I take synthroid for Hashimoto's and beta blockers for a heart flutter, and I don't want either of those thrown off. She's okay with it in that they monitor all my usual numbers, my thyroid gets tested every 8 weeks, and I do a full blood panel twice a year so we can catch anything hidden early. Beyond that, she'd rather not get into the details because of the grey area and all that, unless something like an adverse reaction comes up.

For me, it matters to at least talk about this stuff in broad strokes, so they have some awareness if I ever start showing odd signs like cancer or something that doesn't add up, and I can stop any of the extra treatments I'm doing on my own.
 
Both my PCP and the doctor at my neighborhood direct payer clinic know every detail of what I take. I make it plain to them: I'm not seeking approval, and getting healthy is something I'll do according to my own rules. My PCP leans open minded, particularly after seeing my fat loss, muscle gain, and better lab work. Peptides caught her interest, though she told me she never had enough time to research them thoroughly. Naturally, the required "I don't condone this" talk comes up. Still, I spelled out that China, India, and Turkey can supply me with any drug I might ever need. That means we can talk through my plans, I'll weigh their advice, but my healthcare isn't theirs to dictate. Should that setup hurt our working relationship, I'll just go find another doctor. My clinic Dr. supports me completely and even writes scripts for my Anavar and NPP, letting me stay somewhat safer on pharma grade rather than UGL. It took several doctors before I landed on a couple of good ones. In my view, we hand doctors FAR too much authority over our health and wellbeing.
 
My PCP is relocating, so I'm searching for a replacement. The one I have now is someone I genuinely like—when I neared 40 and started showing symptoms, he arranged testosterone testing for me. The catch was that my numbers came back at the low end of normal, and he explained his hands were tied: he could only diagnose and prescribe within what insurance would cover, though I was free to seek out other options. That's exactly what I did.

Oddly enough, once a clinic put me on TRT, my doctor appeared to disapprove and avoided the subject, only occasionally bringing up risks. With whoever comes next, I'll be straightforward about the TRT, but I don't intend to bring up peptides unless the new doctor is open in how they talk about these things, comes across as forward-thinking on sports medicine and emerging treatments, or a situation arises where they'd need to know for immediate care.
 
My physician is aware of my peptide use. The non-FDA-approved peptides don't sit well with her. Every visit comes with a brief scolding, though she never says it harshly.

In fact, she came through for me during a recent issue. After we discussed my stall, she ordered a butt load of labs. My bloodwork turned out to be completely out of whack, and I'm grateful she's so good.

I've got nothing to conceal. Should she ever start giving me grief, plenty of other Drs are available to pick from.
 
TeresaHip said:

My physician is aware of my peptide use. The non-FDA-approved peptides don't sit well with her. Every visit comes with a brief scolding, though she never says it harshly.

In fact, she came through for me during a recent issue. After we discussed my stall, she ordered a butt load of labs. My bloodwork turned out to be completely out of whack, and I'm grateful she's so good.

I've got nothing to conceal. Should she ever start giving me grief, plenty of other Drs are available to pick from.
Based on all you've described regarding your health problems and your physician, it seems you two have built a solid collaborative rapport. That kind of connection is rare. It wouldn't be worth pushing her away from your care team just because she poses some tough questions.
 
Shaqdiesel said:

I've got a colonoscopy scheduled, so I told them I was using Tirz from an online Doc. That's not true, obviously. What I'm actually taking is reta, and where it comes from is definitely not a local compounder. There are also several other peptides I'm using that I left out. My worry is that if my use of these things gets out, my insurance company could end up denying me coverage.
That makes sense — think about the fact that whatever you tell your doctor ends up in your chart. They might be using AI transcription during the appointment (mine does, and I agreed to it), or they could simply quote anything you admit, like using peptides from the grey market, directly in your notes. Insurance companies can get access to all of it.
 
Nope, my doctor will never find out.

The only people in medicine who'd hear about it are those who have to know during an operation or an emergency.

When I actually need help, my doc gives me nothing.

I brought up TUDCA/UDCA as a supplement to lower the risk of gallstone problems while dropping weight (I already have small gallstones confirmed) and he refuses to comment on it.

If it isn't some big pharma tablet, they're clueless about prevention tsss.
 
Yeah—my GP knows, and so does my cardiologist. I told them I'm using compounded tirzepatide. That's basically accurate—the little gray supply I've got tucked away is just there in case compounded actually disappears.
 
Back
Top