Do you lift till failure?

OzzyFit

Explorer
Joined
Apr 25, 2026
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
Location
GA
I was listening to the “Mind Pump” podcast and they said to not lift till failure because “it creates excessive central nervous system (CNS) fatigue and muscle damage without providing a proportional increase in muscle-building stimulus.”

Can anyone speak to this and how it’s been going for you? I’ve always been taught to lift to failure with a spotter. Let me know your thoughts.
 
I was listening to the “Mind Pump” podcast and they said to not lift till failure because “it creates excessive central nervous system (CNS) fatigue and muscle damage without providing a proportional increase in muscle-building stimulus.”

Can anyone speak to this and how it’s been going for you? I’ve always been taught to lift to failure with a spotter. Let me know your thoughts.
 
Source = Trust me bro

go to failure unless your coach tell you to save some rep in reserve for specific muscle
 
Rezwalker said:


Source = Trust me bro

go to failure unless your coach tell you to save some rep in reserve for specific muscle

Click to expand...
can’t argue the source.
 
Find what works for you. I lift extremely heavy (max on virtually all cable machines) I do over 10 reps sometimes but I’m not going to lift to failure it’s not necessary. As someone who previously has benched north of 500lbs I can tell you the lift to failure is not used by many elites. In fact unless you are power lifting it makes little sense to push to the point of risking injury.
 
OzzyFit said:


I was listening to the “Mind Pump” podcast and they said to not lift till failure because “it creates excessive central nervous system (CNS) fatigue and muscle damage without providing a proportional increase in muscle-building stimulus.”

Can anyone speak to this and how it’s been going for you? I’ve always been taught to lift to failure with a spotter. Let me know your thoughts.


Click to expand...
Is this in the context of strength training or hypertrophy training?
 
aepower2016 said:


Is this in the context of strength training or hypertrophy training?

Click to expand...
Hypertrophy. Reasoning being “Diminishing Returns: Muscle growth is triggered effectively close to failure (the last few effective reps), meaning the extreme stress of going past that point yields unnecessary tissue damage rather than extra growth. “
 
Mike Mentzer talks about this subject extensively. What your trying to accomplish would dictate how you train. IMHO
 
Redz said:


Find what works for you. I lift extremely heavy (max on virtually all cable machines) I do over 10 reps sometimes but I’m not going to lift to failure it’s not necessary. As someone who previously has benched north of 500lbs I can tell you the lift to failure is not used by many elites. In fact unless you are power lifting it makes little sense to push to the point of risking injury.

Click to expand...
I would rather not lift till failure to be honest. Thats why I loved hearing this. I won’t be taxed and have some energy for the rest of my day. …..BTW North of 500 is insane dude.
 
OzzyFit said:


Hypertrophy. Reasoning being “Diminishing Returns: Muscle growth is triggered effectively close to failure (the last few effective reps), meaning the extreme stress of going past that point yields unnecessary tissue damage rather than extra growth. “

Click to expand...
You won't fry your CNS from doing 1-3 sets of any muscle to failure for a given session. No mention of volume either which is the true culprit of fatigue.

He is right tho, it's diminishing returns the closer you get to failure. But failure will still yield more hypertrophy than 3-1 RIR. This isn't taking into account volume and recover which are just as important as your RIR too.
 
I've been lifting for more than 35 years on and off. Lifting till muscle failure seems to build muscle and strength much faster especially after a lengthy pause in working out. 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps till muscle failure is the sweet spot for me.
 
OzzyFit said:


Andy Galpin said 1 rep a week will build muscle. 1 rep not a set!

Click to expand...
Not saying that it technically wouldn't, but good luck building the physique you want doing that.
 
Other than warmups, I take every set to failure. Once I’m able to get 10 or more reps, I up the weight.

Running an old skool Mentzer program at the moment. Going to run a Yates program next.
 
I do 12 12 12 12 method with all of my workouts, once I can achieve 12 12 12 12 I up the weight the following workout, For abs and calves, I do 20 20 20 20
 
It depends on what you are doing, just a note as someone who has lifted for a very long time and has learned a lot. What I did at 18 is very different than what I do now! Lifting to failure is incredible beneficial when done right as it triggers muscle growth and maximizes muscle fiber recruitment because of the mechanical tension. IT however also demands a higher recovery time to not injure yourself. If you have a proper split you can recover from the heavy central nervous system fatigue. You also have to have impeccable form even at failure, since failure causes you to slack on your execution technique and that can significantly increase your risk of injury!

With that being said all of my isolation lifts I train to failure on the last set at a minimum. I will usually keep at least 1 rep away from failure on my big/heavy compounds. Its a balance depending on if you want to get stronger, increase muscle mass, or just work out functionally to be fit. Either way, if the program allows the appropriate recovery its a great thing to do.
 
I go to failure on occasion, all depends how I feel. Im 51 and trying to do this for another 30 years. So injury prevention is more important to me these days.
 
Back
Top