Do people with obesity require larger doses for effects?

Cluni0n

Explorer
Joined
Apr 26, 2026
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Location
France
Hey hey, I want to shed 25–30 kg and I’m a woman. Right now I’m in week 3 of reta, at 1.0 mg, and I’m asking myself if those of us who are obese have to go up in dose before the appetite-suppressing effects show up? Or is it more that bigger bodies mean bigger doses overall?

I’d really appreciate hearing what you’ve been through and what you think about this 🙏🏼
 
At the beginning, I was 285lbs. I kept my dose at 1 mg for 8 weeks, and during that time I dropped close to 30 pounds. So that definitely wasn’t my experience. My view is that responses vary from one individual to another. Also, reta isn’t really recognized for having particularly powerful appetite suppression.
 
Cluni0n said:

Hey hey, I want to shed 25–30 kg and I’m a woman. Right now I’m in week 3 of reta, at 1.0 mg, and I’m asking myself if those of us who are obese have to go up in dose before the appetite-suppressing effects show up? Or is it more that bigger bodies mean bigger doses overall?

I’d really appreciate hearing what you’ve been through and what you think about this 🙏🏼
It seems like how someone responds varies a lot from one individual to another. One of my relatives was afraid of side effects, so they began on 0.5mg, and the appetite reduction kicked in almost immediately; over 3 months they dropped 30 pounds at that same dose without issues. 5'5 F 5'2 SW240 CW205.

For me, though, with Tirzepatide, I didn't experience that "Tirz is tirzing" sensation people describe until I reached 15mg. As an example, 5'10 M CW 230, previously 290.
 
How each person's system reacts seems to be the main factor here, at least in my view. My own reta journey began in January, and I've dropped 42 pounds so far. The plan was .5mg two times a week at the start, and these days I'm at 6mg. To be truthful, nothing really stood out as a big change until I hit roughly 5mg. Since 1mg is such a tiny amount, there's no need to stress over it before you move upward in dose.
 
Cluni0n said:

Hey hey, I want to shed 25–30 kg and I’m a woman. Right now I’m in week 3 of reta, at 1.0 mg, and I’m asking myself if those of us who are obese have to go up in dose before the appetite-suppressing effects show up? Or is it more that bigger bodies mean bigger doses overall?

I’d really appreciate hearing what you’ve been through and what you think about this 🙏🏼
Once 4 weeks have passed, the medication has accumulated fully in your system. Provided you aren't dealing with side effects you can't tolerate, increasing to 2mg/week is an option.

Remain at that level for 4 weeks and evaluate. As long as weight is still coming off, there's no need to change the dose. If your progress flattens out for 2 weeks or so, that's when you'd raise it.

Honestly, 2mg is only a 'starting dose,' so don't worry if you aren't seeing amazing results yet. Some people simply respond less strongly than others.
 
Keep your current dose through the end of the month, then make your 5th pin the point where you raise it, moving up to 2mg. Whether your weight is moving is the key thing to watch, but evaluate over 4 weeks: because of the half life, after a dose change it takes a month to hit steady state, so until that 4th dose you can't tell whether it's sufficient. Going slow and steady means fewer sides, you'll still drop weight, and this is a long-term project.
 
For 9 weeks now, my wife and I have each been taking 1.5 to 2 MGs of Tirzep. At the 9 week mark, we each have roughly 1.5 MGs circulating in our systems. The outcomes have been ideal, with every advantage you could hope for. During those 9 weeks, we both dropped around 10% BF. So my take is that it comes down to the individual. Not the weight. Speaking as one lab rat to another.

Bill
 
Cluni0n said:

Hey hey, I want to shed 25–30 kg and I’m a woman. Right now I’m in week 3 of reta, at 1.0 mg, and I’m asking myself if those of us who are obese have to go up in dose before the appetite-suppressing effects show up? Or is it more that bigger bodies mean bigger doses overall?

I’d really appreciate hearing what you’ve been through and what you think about this 🙏🏼
Bodyweight isn't what's at play here — the real problem is that Reta simply doesn't suppress appetite all that well. For that specific effect, Tirz is the best option around. If appetite control is your goal, switching to Triz would serve you far better. A lot of users say they don't notice any appetite suppression from Reta until they reach 6-8mg. At just 1mg, I wouldn't count on feeling much suppression, if any at all.
 
Back
Top