Distinguishing Food Noise from Actual Hunger — What’s Your Method?

Danger1212

Explorer
Joined
Apr 10, 2026
Messages
153
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern California
Prior to using GLPs, I believed I was constantly hungry. In hindsight, though… much of that seems like it was simply food noise.

Even after finishing a complete meal, my mind would drift to what I’d eat next. It wasn’t a physical need—just a persistent urge for something.

These days I’m beginning to pick up on a distinction, yet I’m still working out exactly where genuine hunger ends and mental cravings begin.

What signs do you use to separate the two?
 
When hunger hits, I check whether I'm actually after a proper meal. If it's just a craving for something tasty to nibble on, I figure it's probably food noise.
 
Reidyontour said:

When hunger hits, I check whether I'm actually after a proper meal. If it's just a craving for something tasty to nibble on, I figure it's probably food noise.
That's a good way to frame it. Once you began GLPs, did that line get easier to see, or did it take a while to spot?
 
I've dropped close to 80 kilos across 4 years, and for the last 18 months I've cycled through 4 different GLP medications. Even so, the term "food noise" still doesn't fully click for me.

Hunger I get. I understand the everyday kind, the low-level background hunger that lingers during and after weight loss. I also know the intense version that shows up once you've lost a lot of weight and start eating the foods that set you off. But what people label food noise? That part remains murky.

What I do notice is this: when I cut calories and the scale starts moving, I become fixated on hunting down low calorie, high protein options I'm still allowed to eat. That doesn't seem to match what others describe, though.

On GLP's, my appetite drops and the pull toward junk food I've sworn off gets much weaker. If I had to name the nearest equivalent, it's simply that I spend fewer hours preoccupied with eating or with being hungry, thanks to the medication.
 
lessthanhalf said:

I've dropped close to 80 kilos across 4 years, and for the last 18 months I've cycled through 4 different GLP medications. Even so, the term "food noise" still doesn't fully click for me.

Hunger I get. I understand the everyday kind, the low-level background hunger that lingers during and after weight loss. I also know the intense version that shows up once you've lost a lot of weight and start eating the foods that set you off. But what people label food noise? That part remains murky.

What I do notice is this: when I cut calories and the scale starts moving, I become fixated on hunting down low calorie, high protein options I'm still allowed to eat. That doesn't seem to match what others describe, though.

On GLP's, my appetite drops and the pull toward junk food I've sworn off gets much weaker. If I had to name the nearest equivalent, it's simply that I spend fewer hours preoccupied with eating or with being hungry, thanks to the medication.
Thanks for opening up about this — particularly given how much you've been through. That bit about spending less time with food on your mind is likely the same shift I'm beginning to pick up on as well. I'm grateful you laid it out so clearly.
 
Before starting reta, food was on my mind mainly at times when it wasn't available to me. I'd be planning what I was going to eat once I finally got the chance. These days, food doesn't cross my mind until hunger shows up. It's not something I dwell on much now. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this well, but I think it's helping me tell when I'm genuinely hungry, since that's when I actually NEED to eat rather than just wanting to.
 
Danger1212 said:

Reidyontour said:

When hunger hits, I check whether I'm actually after a proper meal. If it's just a craving for something tasty to nibble on, I figure it's probably food noise.
That's a good way to frame it. Once you began GLPs, did that line get easier to see, or did it take a while to spot?
While using the injections, telling the two apart became much simpler for me. Rather than persistent urges for ultra processed snacks, what I felt was genuine hunger. In the past, fear had stopped me from letting that happen, and I was always getting ready to prevent it.
 
sheilarae74 said:

Before starting reta, food was on my mind mainly at times when it wasn't available to me. I'd be planning what I was going to eat once I finally got the chance. These days, food doesn't cross my mind until hunger shows up. It's not something I dwell on much now. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this well, but I think it's helping me tell when I'm genuinely hungry, since that's when I actually NEED to eat rather than just wanting to.
Hi Sheilarae, that logic tracks. I’m beginning to pick up on the same thing. It’s just that food isn’t on my mind nearly as often.
 
Reidyontour said:

Danger1212 said:

Reidyontour said:

When hunger hits, I check whether I'm actually after a proper meal. If it's just a craving for something tasty to nibble on, I figure it's probably food noise.
That's a good way to frame it. Once you began GLPs, did that line get easier to see, or did it take a while to spot?
While using the injections, telling the two apart became much simpler for me. Rather than persistent urges for ultra processed snacks, what I felt was genuine hunger. In the past, fear had stopped me from letting that happen, and I was always getting ready to prevent it.
Reid, Seems like it dulled that relentless tug and helped you spot genuine hunger more easily. That resonates with me. 👍
 
On these medications, separating food noise from genuine hunger can be tricky at times. Part of the reason, I believe, is that once the food noise gets quieter, any hunger signal from the body can feel like the medication has stopped working — or like the food noise is simply creeping back.

My first step is to check how long it has been since I last ate a meal or a snack. When more than 3 to 5 hours have passed, I ask myself whether my body is showing any physical signs of hunger (a headache, a rumbling stomach, low energy). If it looks like real hunger, I go over the healthiest option available in the house. When that option appeals to me, I eat something healthy. If the food does not seem tempting, or if a tigger is present (stress, boredom, and so on), I typically hold off for a few minutes to see whether the feeling fades.

My reasoning is this: if I reach for the healthiest thing in the house, what is the worst outcome? I gave my body something good.
 
In my case, food just isn't on my mind these days. Most of the time I don't feel hungry. I stick to eating at set times each day so I don't skip it and can hit my daily nutrient targets.
 
My hunger cues and food noise have both dropped a lot. These days I pay attention to timing and food choice instead. I've got a daily calorie target figured out, and my aim is to hit it. If I'm being honest, falling short of what my body needs is the last thing I want right now. Undereating can wreck my progress just as badly as eating too much — and while on these meds, it's the far more probable outcome.
 
That constant hunger feeling — I know it. Even with a meal behind me, my brain would still insist I was hungry. Like something was left unaccounted for. If the food on my plate wasn't something I really wanted, it didn't register as a proper meal at all. On GLPs, though, that changes — I can eat something I'm not thrilled about and still feel done, with no urge to chase it with anything else. To me, real hunger is that hollow, faintly aching sensation in your stomach. Before starting these GLPs, I could genuinely graze from morning to night and still climb into bed feeling stuffed and sick. Obviously I didn't do that every single day — I had a bit of self-control in me.
 
To me, the line between the two is fairly straightforward. Food noise, as I see it, is a seeking drive — similar to how someone might chase sex or a drug. It’s about pursuing something pleasurable. Back before I started a GLP-1, my mind was consumed with thoughts, fantasies, and anticipation of my next chance to eat. The moment I opened my eyes, the question was what sounded good for breakfast. After a large breakfast, I’d move through my day, but throughout it I’d drift into imagining what would hit the spot for lunch. And it wasn’t limited to that single day. Since I’m the one who cooks for the household, I’d catch myself planning dinners for tomorrow, for a birthday, for a holiday, or simply because the weekend offered extra time to create something special. Everything revolved around chasing the next want — not what my body needed or what I should choose. If chocolate cake appealed to me, I’d pick up a mix and bake it. I’d eat as much as I desired, and I desired all of it, but I’d make a polite deal with myself and stop at half so others could have some too.

These days, I simply care far less. Bacon comes to mind as an example: I haven’t cooked it since January, while previously it was a weekly ritual without fail.
 
Being hungry doesn't bother me. It's something the body does naturally — a cue that it's time to take in calories. On its own, hunger can even feel almost nice, like a little rumble in the stomach. Food noise, though, is a completely different beast. Food noise is waking up and having nothing on my mind except getting breakfast. It's the panic that I'll show up at a party, feel hungry, and therefore not have a good time. It's my brain circling back again and again to how rich and creamy cream cheese would taste on Oreos, until I simply can't stand it anymore. When that noise lifts, everything in life gets so much lighter. What I don't like is when GLP1s kill hunger so thoroughly that I can't even think about food — including the healthy food my body actually needs. That bothers me. Still, there is something wonderful about cooking a meal all the way through without having eaten half of it straight from the pot because of food noise.
 
Danger1212 said:

Prior to using GLPs, I believed I was constantly hungry. In hindsight, though… much of that seems like it was simply food noise.

Even after finishing a complete meal, my mind would drift to what I’d eat next. It wasn’t a physical need—just a persistent urge for something.

These days I’m beginning to pick up on a distinction, yet I’m still working out exactly where genuine hunger ends and mental cravings begin.

What signs do you use to separate the two?
My take is straightforward: hunger shows up in the body (a growling stomach, for example). Food noise, on the other hand, is that repetitive mental loop and fixated thoughts about eating — what to have next, "oh wow I'd sure love to eat this" — or simply having food on the brain while not physically hungry, in a way that feels intrusive and brings mental unease or restlessness.
 
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the appetite suppression Reta gives me. Feeling full happens a lot — smaller portions fill me up. Fried foods, ice cream, that whole category? No pull toward them at all. Between-meal snacking on crackers, chips, and similar stuff has stopped too. My injection day is Friday, and by Thursday around dinner I notice I'm a bit hungrier than usual.
 
BNLFL said:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the appetite suppression Reta gives me. Feeling full happens a lot — smaller portions fill me up. Fried foods, ice cream, that whole category? No pull toward them at all. Between-meal snacking on crackers, chips, and similar stuff has stopped too. My injection day is Friday, and by Thursday around dinner I notice I'm a bit hungrier than usual.
Man, same here — I've just realized that the stuff that used to wreck my diet between meals (ice cream, soda, chips and so on) doesn't tempt me to snack anymore!

Really useful, appreciate it!
 
tendency said:

Danger1212 said:

Prior to using GLPs, I believed I was constantly hungry. In hindsight, though… much of that seems like it was simply food noise.

Even after finishing a complete meal, my mind would drift to what I’d eat next. It wasn’t a physical need—just a persistent urge for something.

These days I’m beginning to pick up on a distinction, yet I’m still working out exactly where genuine hunger ends and mental cravings begin.

What signs do you use to separate the two?
My take is straightforward: hunger shows up in the body (a growling stomach, for example). Food noise, on the other hand, is that repetitive mental loop and fixated thoughts about eating — what to have next, "oh wow I'd sure love to eat this" — or simply having food on the brain while not physically hungry, in a way that feels intrusive and brings mental unease or restlessness.
This is precisely it. When your stomach is rumbling and you feel somewhat weak, that's true hunger. But when thoughts about cheesecake or similar keep intruding without any of those physical signs, that's food noise.

From my own experience, beginning weight loss through CICO by itself gave me the self-reflection I needed to recognize these patterns, as well as many other elements of my former disordered eating. Sadly, at a certain point that self-reflection by itself wasn't sufficient to overcome my urges, yet I think it will be valuable down the road when I hit my goal and lower the dose for maintenance. Peptides eliminate both the food noise and real hunger so effectively that, had I begun with the peps immediately, grasping my relationship with food and what sets off overeating for me would surely have been harder.
 
Danger1212 said:

Prior to using GLPs, I believed I was constantly hungry. In hindsight, though… much of that seems like it was simply food noise.

Even after finishing a complete meal, my mind would drift to what I’d eat next. It wasn’t a physical need—just a persistent urge for something.

These days I’m beginning to pick up on a distinction, yet I’m still working out exactly where genuine hunger ends and mental cravings begin.

What signs do you use to separate the two?
Never before have I come across a way of describing this that rings so true.





d453846fe36449bff23811253bc99a01f0dc4e5b86cadc40d9bf6a0cb0bd133e.webp
 
Back
Top