Discontinuing reta

johnny01

Explorer
Joined
Sep 12, 2026
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Location
south australia
I haven't taken reta myself, though I might look into it down the road. What I keep seeing is that a lot of people report a big jump in heart rate. I'm wondering whether anyone's heart rate came back down once they stopped using reta, and if so, how long it took to get back to normal.
 
It varies from one individual to another. For me, levels look typical while I sleep at night and also when I wake up in the morning. I have used it for 9 months now, and it genuinely does the job.
 
Same here, I agree with him. My resting heart rate was never one of those insanely low ones to begin with, but Reta hasn't made any difference I can detect. Right now I'm on 4mg per week and have been for 8 months. I just checked my watch data and it has actually dropped across that stretch

BNLFL said:

It varies from one individual to another. For me, levels look typical while I sleep at night and also when I wake up in the morning. I have used it for 9 months now, and it genuinely does the job.
 
No change in heart rate that I could pick up on. That said, I'm on betablocker medication as well, which brings my heart rate down. So it could be that the effect gets blunted by what I take.
 
I saw a small rise in my average heart rate, and it looks like that has faded as time went on. According to the data from my apple watch, it began at close to an 8 bpm increase, and by now it has dropped to nearly where it was before.

So an initial bump is to be expected, but with extended use it ought to return to baseline.

That information was in fact collected during the Phase II trial, and this is how it appears:





bd2794ab0f848d0b44faf7b62df6ca9d7f6fb9a931215b56a2d0005008629fcc.webp


It is obvious that over time it moves back in the direction of baseline, even if it did not fully get there within 48 weeks. I have used some kind of GLP1 for roughly a year and a half, and at this point it is back to baseline. I have only been on reta stacked with sema for about 6 months, I believe. Draw your own conclusions.
 
Devilseye said:

I saw a small rise in my average heart rate, and it looks like that has faded as time went on. According to the data from my apple watch, it began at close to an 8 bpm increase, and by now it has dropped to nearly where it was before.

So an initial bump is to be expected, but with extended use it ought to return to baseline.

That information was in fact collected during the Phase II trial, and this is how it appears:





/

It is obvious that over time it moves back in the direction of baseline, even if it did not fully get there within 48 weeks. I have used some kind of GLP1 for roughly a year and a half, and at this point it is back to baseline. I have only been on reta stacked with sema for about 6 months, I believe. Draw your own conclusions.

Moving in the direction of baseline is not the same thing as getting back to baseline. Saying it "didn't quite reach it in 48 weeks" understates things somewhat, given that the peak was 10bpm and in 48 weeks the drop was under 50%.

During the 7 months I was slowly plugging away, neither my RHR nor my HR in general moved toward baseline. Last month I took a break and eased off the gas a little, and that made my RHR fall sharply. Since last week I've been pushing hard again, though I'm also 3 weeks into Elora... so far my RHR/HR is behaving. My Reta exposure, both before and now again, was 166% of the max trialed dosage (20mg/week).

The one occasion my heart rate got on my nerves was a stressful day when I'd likely had far too much caffeine (I stopped counting). Not a problem, just irritating. Fortunately I'd reached my first goal weight the day before, so it fit in well with my break.
 
woundcarping said:

Moving in the direction of baseline is not the same thing as getting back to baseline. Saying it "didn't quite reach it in 48 weeks" understates things somewhat, given that the peak was 10bpm and in 48 weeks the drop was under 50%.

During the 7 months I was slowly plugging away, neither my RHR nor my HR in general moved toward baseline. Last month I took a break and eased off the gas a little, and that made my RHR fall sharply. Since last week I've been pushing hard again, though I'm also 3 weeks into Elora... so far my RHR/HR is behaving. My Reta exposure, both before and now again, was 166% of the max trialed dosage (20mg/week).

The one occasion my heart rate got on my nerves was a stressful day when I'd likely had far too much caffeine (I stopped counting). Not a problem, just irritating. Fortunately I'd reached my first goal weight the day before, so it fit in well with my break.
Based on my garmin watch, my rhr sits at 46. Because I've stayed fit my whole life, it frequently dips under 40. I still haven't tried Reta, and the elevated heart rate people mention is somewhat concerning to me. Mostly I'm just wondering whether, if I did give it a try, my numbers would come back to baseline, and how long that would take.
 
This morning my reading was 72BPM and my O2 sat at 100%. I've gone from 10mg down to 6mg as part of the maintenance approach.
 
BNLFL said:

It varies from one individual to another. For me, levels look typical while I sleep at night and also when I wake up in the morning. I have used it for 9 months now, and it genuinely does the job.

My resting heart rate isn't what concerns me — it barely rose at all. What gets to me is the extent to which it climbs once I start exercising.
 
FunkyWhales78 said:

My resting heart rate isn't what concerns me — it barely rose at all. What gets to me is the extent to which it climbs once I start exercising.
I don't do a lot of exercise, though I've begun using light weights — I just never monitor it during that.
 
FunkyWhales78 said:

My resting heart rate isn't what concerns me — it barely rose at all. What gets to me is the extent to which it climbs once I start exercising.
when you do something like a run, does it have an effect on you? a few people have said that cardio sessions are now completely off the table for them
 
My initial stretch on reta ran from May through July 2026. During those months my RHR climbed from roughly 60 to roughly 80. Once I stopped, it took around a month for my RHR to fall from about 80 to a bit under 70. That said, I began tirz not long after I quit reta, and once my RHR reached about 65 it rose again to 80...

Regarding heart rate while exercising, I never saw anything out of the ordinary whether I was doing cardio or lifting weights. My zone 2 peak matched what it had been, and so did my HIIT peak.

The thing that hit me hardest overall was my sleeping HR. It stayed higher than my resting rate the whole time. To give an example, if I sat at 80 bpm resting during the day, then overnight my sleeping HR would rise to 85 or beyond. A really strange pattern. It doesn't appear to be all that widespread, or maybe people simply aren't tracking sleeping HR?
 
BNLFL said:

I don't do a lot of exercise, though I've begun using light weights — I just never monitor it during that.

Way too many hours of my day get eaten up staring at the numbers my Garmin spits out...

On GLPs, almost all of those metrics take a hit. It isn't only heart rate either — my HRV is down and my sleep score looks terrible. Things were less bad on tirzepatide than on retatutide, though the difference is still quite obvious.
 
FunkyWhales78 said:

Way too many hours of my day get eaten up staring at the numbers my Garmin spits out...

On GLPs, almost all of those metrics take a hit. It isn't only heart rate either — my HRV is down and my sleep score looks terrible. Things were less bad on tirzepatide than on retatutide, though the difference is still quite obvious.
I don't own a watch or a ring device. I only have a BPM/O2 meter and a BP wrist cuff.
 
johnny01 said:

I haven't taken reta myself, though I might look into it down the road. What I keep seeing is that a lot of people report a big jump in heart rate. I'm wondering whether anyone's heart rate came back down once they stopped using reta, and if so, how long it took to get back to normal.
Began at just 1 mg, yet I notice nothing at all
 
johnny01 said:

when you do something like a run, does it have an effect on you? a few people have said that cardio sessions are now completely off the table for them

That one hits close to home. A while back I did some serious damage to my ankle, which has kept me from running, and it's the thing I worry about most too.

From what I've noticed at the gym, and even on easy uphill walks, it will. Once I'm back to running, I plan to keep an eye on my HR the whole time and drop to a walk whenever it climbs too much. Back when I quit nicotine a few years ago, my running HR fell by a fair amount, so there's a bit of room to play with.

This morning I swam, which I don't usually do. For the effort involved, my HR looked absurdly high, though I have nothing to compare it against, and I'm not even sure whether being in the water throws off the readings.
 
I'm tapering off for the winter months, and I've stepped my dose down from 12mg per week to 2mg (there's certainly still some accumulated serum in my system). Even so, the drop in my RHR has been substantial and very welcome.
 
Devilseye said:

I saw a small rise in my average heart rate, and it looks like that has faded as time went on. According to the data from my apple watch, it began at close to an 8 bpm increase, and by now it has dropped to nearly where it was before.

So an initial bump is to be expected, but with extended use it ought to return to baseline.

That information was in fact collected during the Phase II trial, and this is how it appears:





/

It is obvious that over time it moves back in the direction of baseline, even if it did not fully get there within 48 weeks. I have used some kind of GLP1 for roughly a year and a half, and at this point it is back to baseline. I have only been on reta stacked with sema for about 6 months, I believe. Draw your own conclusions.
That's great news — would you mind sharing where that came from?
 
UpDownLeftRightAS* said:

That's great news — would you mind sharing where that came from?
Those results come from the Phase 2 trial published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

BP and HR figures are all contained in the supplementary information.

DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa2301972

The curve I presented was smoothed; actual data points are more staggered. Even so, that is the direction it follows.
 
Back
Top