lessthanhalf said:
Nuts aren't automatically a poor choice nutritionally in many settings — they bring fiber, vitamins, minerals and healthy fats, and they satisfy reasonably well — yet they're also fat-heavy and extremely energy dense, at 5+kcal per gram. So when somebody is fighting to bring their intake down, layering in small amounts of a heavily energy-dense food tends to pile on calories without buying much extra fullness. And eating a big pile of nuts is far too easy, which means a big pile of calories. I did work nuts into my own eating not long ago, though always weighed out to 20 gram portions a day. This sounds more like advice that never got adjusted to your particular situation, which is the core of her job.
For keeping hunger in check I've always done best with snacks low in energy density but high in protein — low fat high protein yogurt, very lean meat, fruit that isn't calorie heavy, salad or raw veges, that kind of thing. My own plan takes 40-50% of calories from protein and most dietitians would probably be appalled by that.
Artificial sweeteners are such a tangled area of research that I doubt anybody has it figured out; the conflicting findings are so abundant that drawing any conclusion is nearly hopeless. It's possible they interfere with satiation or with hormonal responses after eating, but that's a long way from settled.
One of the most useful things I did was input my diet into chat gpt, as it is very repetitive to minimise gut symptoms I could just use 1 day to represent it fairly accurately, but with a more normal diet you could make a diary of everything for a week including weights and shove that into chatgpt in research/scholar mode and get it to analyse calories, fat, protein, carbs, fiber etc. I found it pretty informative, it is the kind of thing a dietitian could do, but chatgpt is going to be quicker and possibly more accurate, and I found chatgpt could give sensible dietary advice, at least the way I used it .
Just noticed the above post only after I'd finished writing this, with at least 2 items overlapping.