Did I get my money's worth for storing supplies long-term?

ThunderBird said:

Earlier today I picked up a lab-grade freezer from under the counter that reaches -20C (I'm not sure how that converts to freedom units, but I know it's cold). It comes with alarms and various extra features—when I went through the description, it mostly sounded like things to let me know whether it was cold or not, haha. After tax and fees, it came out to just under 100 USD. For keeping things stored long-term, does a unit like this actually help much, or will it perform any differently than a standard fridge? I'll include the listing for the freezer below. I'm just after some thoughts—if nothing else, I end up with a small freezer that has some cool stickers on it! To be upfront, this wasn't planned, but I figured it was neat!
I take it a basement freezer isn't something you own. Mine sits in the basement. It holds 9 boxes, and every box contains 63 vials.
 
ThunderBird said:

RetCurious said:

ThunderBird said:

Earlier today I picked up a lab-grade freezer from under the counter that reaches -20C (I'm not sure how that converts to freedom units, but I know it's cold). It comes with alarms and various extra features—when I went through the description, it mostly sounded like things to let me know whether it was cold or not, haha. After tax and fees, it came out to just under 100 USD. For keeping things stored long-term, does a unit like this actually help much, or will it perform any differently than a standard fridge? I'll include the listing for the freezer below. I'm just after some thoughts—if nothing else, I end up with a small freezer that has some cool stickers on it! To be upfront, this wasn't planned, but I figured it was neat!
Brand new, that thing costs more than $1200. Is it functional, and do you have additional units? 😆
The unit came from a government liquidation auction of a laboratory, so whether it functions is up in the air. There were several of them available, plus plenty of full-size upright freezers that sold for around 20-100 dollars. Since it was an auction, I didn't want to share it here and risk someone else grabbing the one I had my eye on, haha. The nearly identical second unit wound up selling for about 110, I believe.
List it on ebay for 4-500 and pocket some easy cash.
 
ThunderBird said:

CNCCurrency said:

ThunderBird said:

Earlier today I picked up a lab-grade freezer from under the counter that reaches -20C (I'm not sure how that converts to freedom units, but I know it's cold). It comes with alarms and various extra features—when I went through the description, it mostly sounded like things to let me know whether it was cold or not, haha. After tax and fees, it came out to just under 100 USD. For keeping things stored long-term, does a unit like this actually help much, or will it perform any differently than a standard fridge? I'll include the listing for the freezer below. I'm just after some thoughts—if nothing else, I end up with a small freezer that has some cool stickers on it! To be upfront, this wasn't planned, but I figured it was neat!
If it gives you peace of mind, that's the only thing that counts.
To be honest, I'm somewhat worried about how much noise it could make! It could genuinely disturb my sleep!
Simply pick up a peptide that helps with deep sleep 🤷‍♂️.
 
V6R3W said:

-20C works out to roughly -4F. Compared with a standard freezer, that isn't a huge drop. Likely, keeping the temperature steady matters more.

If you want to know for sure, a temperature data logger could be worth picking up.
A digital thermometer that records readings does the job well---just zero it out each time...digital freezer thermometer...under $10 on amazon...
 
skeptick said:

V6R3W said:

-20C works out to roughly -4F. Compared with a standard freezer, that isn't a huge drop. Likely, keeping the temperature steady matters more.

If you want to know for sure, a temperature data logger could be worth picking up.
A digital thermometer that records readings does the job well---just zero it out each time...digital freezer thermometer...under $10 on amazon...
Fair point. A genuinely NIST traceable data logger costs far more than the freezer itself did.
 
Peotidethrowaway said:

For a lab freezer, -20 isn’t particularly chilly. Mine, a chest freezer, holds at -40c (and handily, -40c equals -40f)
I'm trying to understand the reasoning behind this. My garage freezer sits at -10*. What does it actually change? Meat that's frozen is just frozen, right?
 
BNLFL said:

Peotidethrowaway said:

For a lab freezer, -20 isn’t particularly chilly. Mine, a chest freezer, holds at -40c (and handily, -40c equals -40f)
I'm trying to understand the reasoning behind this. My garage freezer sits at -10*. What does it actually change? Meat that's frozen is just frozen, right?
Yeah, once it's frozen, it's frozen—I'm with you on that. That said, I'm aware that generally speaking, the colder it gets, the slower any degradation tends to be. But really, my reasons for buying it came down to 2 things: 1, I wanted somewhere the peps could sit undisturbed and stay reliably frozen, and 2, I didn't want to take up all the freezer space from my roommates, who are also in college lol.
 
The bigger deal in my mind is that in a living space where roommates share the communal freezer that door is opening potentially quite frequently. Having your own space devoted to the peptides allows for a much more stable storage temp. Also and I'm not 100% sure on this but aren't most lab freezers not the frost free type used in residential models, so it will avoid defrost cycles which also create temp swings that can lead to degradation in theory.
 
RetCurious said:

ThunderBird said:

RetCurious said:

ThunderBird said:

Earlier today I picked up a lab-grade freezer from under the counter that reaches -20C (I'm not sure how that converts to freedom units, but I know it's cold). It comes with alarms and various extra features—when I went through the description, it mostly sounded like things to let me know whether it was cold or not, haha. After tax and fees, it came out to just under 100 USD. For keeping things stored long-term, does a unit like this actually help much, or will it perform any differently than a standard fridge? I'll include the listing for the freezer below. I'm just after some thoughts—if nothing else, I end up with a small freezer that has some cool stickers on it! To be upfront, this wasn't planned, but I figured it was neat!
Brand new, that thing costs more than $1200. Is it functional, and do you have additional units? 😆
The unit came from a government liquidation auction of a laboratory, so whether it functions is up in the air. There were several of them available, plus plenty of full-size upright freezers that sold for around 20-100 dollars. Since it was an auction, I didn't want to share it here and risk someone else grabbing the one I had my eye on, haha. The nearly identical second unit wound up selling for about 110, I believe.
List it on ebay for 4-500 and pocket some easy cash.
5f03dd5e48b136c5266394f26272b8363121cdfe64d2a88155cfbdad9a0dee3d.gif
 
cheaperseeker said:

ThunderBird said:

BNLFL said:

ThunderBird said:

CNCCurrency said:

ThunderBird said:

Earlier today I picked up a lab-grade freezer from under the counter that reaches -20C (I'm not sure how that converts to freedom units, but I know it's cold). It comes with alarms and various extra features—when I went through the description, it mostly sounded like things to let me know whether it was cold or not, haha. After tax and fees, it came out to just under 100 USD. For keeping things stored long-term, does a unit like this actually help much, or will it perform any differently than a standard fridge? I'll include the listing for the freezer below. I'm just after some thoughts—if nothing else, I end up with a small freezer that has some cool stickers on it! To be upfront, this wasn't planned, but I figured it was neat!
If it gives you peace of mind, that's the only thing that counts.
To be honest, I'm somewhat worried about how much noise it could make! It could genuinely disturb my sleep!
I'd recommend keeping it out of the bedroom and instead placing it in the garage.
Sadly, I’m in college and there’s no garage available to me 🙁
Honestly, it's likely not going to be too disruptive. There's a fridge in my bedroom, and while it was a bit annoying initially, I've gotten so used to it that it doesn't register anymore.
Man, back in the 80s I had this ancient fan that I kept running all year just for the background hum.... it was as loud as a chopper touching down....
 
ThunderBird said:

Earlier today I picked up a lab-grade freezer from under the counter that reaches -20C (I'm not sure how that converts to freedom units, but I know it's cold). It comes with alarms and various extra features—when I went through the description, it mostly sounded like things to let me know whether it was cold or not, haha. After tax and fees, it came out to just under 100 USD. For keeping things stored long-term, does a unit like this actually help much, or will it perform any differently than a standard fridge? I'll include the listing for the freezer below. I'm just after some thoughts—if nothing else, I end up with a small freezer that has some cool stickers on it! To be upfront, this wasn't planned, but I figured it was neat!
What a steal! Did you win it at an auction?
 
To be safe, I would top off any vacant room using water bottles or cold packs. Should the electricity fail or a similar situation arise, that ought to hold temperatures steady for 1 or 2 days.
 
RetCurious said:

ThunderBird said:

RetCurious said:

ThunderBird said:

Earlier today I picked up a lab-grade freezer from under the counter that reaches -20C (I'm not sure how that converts to freedom units, but I know it's cold). It comes with alarms and various extra features—when I went through the description, it mostly sounded like things to let me know whether it was cold or not, haha. After tax and fees, it came out to just under 100 USD. For keeping things stored long-term, does a unit like this actually help much, or will it perform any differently than a standard fridge? I'll include the listing for the freezer below. I'm just after some thoughts—if nothing else, I end up with a small freezer that has some cool stickers on it! To be upfront, this wasn't planned, but I figured it was neat!
Brand new, that thing costs more than $1200. Is it functional, and do you have additional units? 😆
The unit came from a government liquidation auction of a laboratory, so whether it functions is up in the air. There were several of them available, plus plenty of full-size upright freezers that sold for around 20-100 dollars. Since it was an auction, I didn't want to share it here and risk someone else grabbing the one I had my eye on, haha. The nearly identical second unit wound up selling for about 110, I believe.
List it on ebay for 4-500 and pocket some easy cash.
In that case, just get additional kits, haha (“dang, I really wish that freezer were still around”)
 
Airborne Daddy said:

cheaperseeker said:

ThunderBird said:

BNLFL said:

ThunderBird said:

CNCCurrency said:

ThunderBird said:

Earlier today I picked up a lab-grade freezer from under the counter that reaches -20C (I'm not sure how that converts to freedom units, but I know it's cold). It comes with alarms and various extra features—when I went through the description, it mostly sounded like things to let me know whether it was cold or not, haha. After tax and fees, it came out to just under 100 USD. For keeping things stored long-term, does a unit like this actually help much, or will it perform any differently than a standard fridge? I'll include the listing for the freezer below. I'm just after some thoughts—if nothing else, I end up with a small freezer that has some cool stickers on it! To be upfront, this wasn't planned, but I figured it was neat!
If it gives you peace of mind, that's the only thing that counts.
To be honest, I'm somewhat worried about how much noise it could make! It could genuinely disturb my sleep!
I'd recommend keeping it out of the bedroom and instead placing it in the garage.
Sadly, I’m in college and there’s no garage available to me 🙁
Honestly, it's likely not going to be too disruptive. There's a fridge in my bedroom, and while it was a bit annoying initially, I've gotten so used to it that it doesn't register anymore.
Man, back in the 80s I had this ancient fan that I kept running all year just for the background hum.... it was as loud as a chopper touching down....
I have a noise generator that produces "red" noise, which some refer to as "black" noise. Without it, I can't fall asleep.
 
I picked up a portable ultra low temperature freezer on Ebay, the kind that hits -86℃ (-112 ℉). For peptides, that's effectively indefinite storage. It's way more machine than I need. My main issue now is that I keep stockpiling beyond the freezer's capacity. I've swapped one disorder for another: eating for peptides.
 
Back
Top