Did I get my money's worth for storing supplies long-term?

ThunderBird

Explorer
Joined
Mar 27, 2026
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Wv
Earlier today I picked up a lab-grade freezer from under the counter that reaches -20C (I'm not sure how that converts to freedom units, but I know it's cold). It comes with alarms and various extra features—when I went through the description, it mostly sounded like things to let me know whether it was cold or not, haha. After tax and fees, it came out to just under 100 USD. For keeping things stored long-term, does a unit like this actually help much, or will it perform any differently than a standard fridge? I'll include the listing for the freezer below. I'm just after some thoughts—if nothing else, I end up with a small freezer that has some cool stickers on it! To be upfront, this wasn't planned, but I figured it was neat!
 
ThunderBird said:

Earlier today I picked up a lab-grade freezer from under the counter that reaches -20C (I'm not sure how that converts to freedom units, but I know it's cold). It comes with alarms and various extra features—when I went through the description, it mostly sounded like things to let me know whether it was cold or not, haha. After tax and fees, it came out to just under 100 USD. For keeping things stored long-term, does a unit like this actually help much, or will it perform any differently than a standard fridge? I'll include the listing for the freezer below. I'm just after some thoughts—if nothing else, I end up with a small freezer that has some cool stickers on it! To be upfront, this wasn't planned, but I figured it was neat!
If it gives you peace of mind, that's the only thing that counts.
 
CNCCurrency said:

ThunderBird said:

Earlier today I picked up a lab-grade freezer from under the counter that reaches -20C (I'm not sure how that converts to freedom units, but I know it's cold). It comes with alarms and various extra features—when I went through the description, it mostly sounded like things to let me know whether it was cold or not, haha. After tax and fees, it came out to just under 100 USD. For keeping things stored long-term, does a unit like this actually help much, or will it perform any differently than a standard fridge? I'll include the listing for the freezer below. I'm just after some thoughts—if nothing else, I end up with a small freezer that has some cool stickers on it! To be upfront, this wasn't planned, but I figured it was neat!
If it gives you peace of mind, that's the only thing that counts.
To be honest, I'm somewhat worried about how much noise it could make! It could genuinely disturb my sleep!
 
If I brought home even more stuff for this absurd pastime, my wife would end me. I say pastime since I get a kick out of picking up Reta and the gear.

4df92e6e220965a446c1a34840a3ee550511e9ca09110847f118173e3dfc0de2.webp


That one’s on me.
 
ThunderBird said:

CNCCurrency said:

ThunderBird said:

Earlier today I picked up a lab-grade freezer from under the counter that reaches -20C (I'm not sure how that converts to freedom units, but I know it's cold). It comes with alarms and various extra features—when I went through the description, it mostly sounded like things to let me know whether it was cold or not, haha. After tax and fees, it came out to just under 100 USD. For keeping things stored long-term, does a unit like this actually help much, or will it perform any differently than a standard fridge? I'll include the listing for the freezer below. I'm just after some thoughts—if nothing else, I end up with a small freezer that has some cool stickers on it! To be upfront, this wasn't planned, but I figured it was neat!
If it gives you peace of mind, that's the only thing that counts.
To be honest, I'm somewhat worried about how much noise it could make! It could genuinely disturb my sleep!
I'd recommend keeping it out of the bedroom and instead placing it in the garage.
 
BNLFL said:

If I brought home even more stuff for this absurd pastime, my wife would end me. I say pastime since I get a kick out of picking up Reta and the gear.

View attachment 11832

That one’s on me.
Whenever I tell myself I've finished making purchases, I end up watching a video or spotting a "good deal," and then I'm right back on coinbase purchasing Bitcoin to send to my other wallet
 
BNLFL said:

ThunderBird said:

CNCCurrency said:

ThunderBird said:

Earlier today I picked up a lab-grade freezer from under the counter that reaches -20C (I'm not sure how that converts to freedom units, but I know it's cold). It comes with alarms and various extra features—when I went through the description, it mostly sounded like things to let me know whether it was cold or not, haha. After tax and fees, it came out to just under 100 USD. For keeping things stored long-term, does a unit like this actually help much, or will it perform any differently than a standard fridge? I'll include the listing for the freezer below. I'm just after some thoughts—if nothing else, I end up with a small freezer that has some cool stickers on it! To be upfront, this wasn't planned, but I figured it was neat!
If it gives you peace of mind, that's the only thing that counts.
To be honest, I'm somewhat worried about how much noise it could make! It could genuinely disturb my sleep!
I'd recommend keeping it out of the bedroom and instead placing it in the garage.
Sadly, I’m in college and there’s no garage available to me 🙁
 
ThunderBird said:

BNLFL said:

ThunderBird said:

CNCCurrency said:

ThunderBird said:

Earlier today I picked up a lab-grade freezer from under the counter that reaches -20C (I'm not sure how that converts to freedom units, but I know it's cold). It comes with alarms and various extra features—when I went through the description, it mostly sounded like things to let me know whether it was cold or not, haha. After tax and fees, it came out to just under 100 USD. For keeping things stored long-term, does a unit like this actually help much, or will it perform any differently than a standard fridge? I'll include the listing for the freezer below. I'm just after some thoughts—if nothing else, I end up with a small freezer that has some cool stickers on it! To be upfront, this wasn't planned, but I figured it was neat!
If it gives you peace of mind, that's the only thing that counts.
To be honest, I'm somewhat worried about how much noise it could make! It could genuinely disturb my sleep!
I'd recommend keeping it out of the bedroom and instead placing it in the garage.
Sadly, I’m in college and there’s no garage available to me 🙁
That clears things up, then.
 
ThunderBird said:

BNLFL said:

ThunderBird said:

CNCCurrency said:

ThunderBird said:

Earlier today I picked up a lab-grade freezer from under the counter that reaches -20C (I'm not sure how that converts to freedom units, but I know it's cold). It comes with alarms and various extra features—when I went through the description, it mostly sounded like things to let me know whether it was cold or not, haha. After tax and fees, it came out to just under 100 USD. For keeping things stored long-term, does a unit like this actually help much, or will it perform any differently than a standard fridge? I'll include the listing for the freezer below. I'm just after some thoughts—if nothing else, I end up with a small freezer that has some cool stickers on it! To be upfront, this wasn't planned, but I figured it was neat!
If it gives you peace of mind, that's the only thing that counts.
To be honest, I'm somewhat worried about how much noise it could make! It could genuinely disturb my sleep!
I'd recommend keeping it out of the bedroom and instead placing it in the garage.
Sadly, I’m in college and there’s no garage available to me 🙁
Honestly, it's likely not going to be too disruptive. There's a fridge in my bedroom, and while it was a bit annoying initially, I've gotten so used to it that it doesn't register anymore.
 
ThunderBird said:

Earlier today I picked up a lab-grade freezer from under the counter that reaches -20C (I'm not sure how that converts to freedom units, but I know it's cold). It comes with alarms and various extra features—when I went through the description, it mostly sounded like things to let me know whether it was cold or not, haha. After tax and fees, it came out to just under 100 USD. For keeping things stored long-term, does a unit like this actually help much, or will it perform any differently than a standard fridge? I'll include the listing for the freezer below. I'm just after some thoughts—if nothing else, I end up with a small freezer that has some cool stickers on it! To be upfront, this wasn't planned, but I figured it was neat!

Looks like a solid bargain. Mine came from Amazon and cost 2 times as much. For keeping things stored up to 5 years, this ought to work well. To hold the temperature steady and guard against outages, I put in hydropeak containers. I also packed the unused room with ice packs. That makes it stay somewhat colder and the temperature doesn't swing as much. If the power went out, it would last longer too.

Since it confirms what I already did, it's clearly a smart decision.
 
That price is an absolute bargain. Laboratory gear costs a fortune, and your freezer comes in below what ordinary mini fridges go for at your nearby Wally World or the Zon.

For hoarding over the long haul, it is absolutely worth it.

Because it is lab equipment, it should hold that -20 deg far more reliably than the consumer grade options sitting on shelves at your local store.
 
ThunderBird said:

Earlier today I picked up a lab-grade freezer from under the counter that reaches -20C (I'm not sure how that converts to freedom units, but I know it's cold). It comes with alarms and various extra features—when I went through the description, it mostly sounded like things to let me know whether it was cold or not, haha. After tax and fees, it came out to just under 100 USD. For keeping things stored long-term, does a unit like this actually help much, or will it perform any differently than a standard fridge? I'll include the listing for the freezer below. I'm just after some thoughts—if nothing else, I end up with a small freezer that has some cool stickers on it! To be upfront, this wasn't planned, but I figured it was neat!
Brand new, that thing costs more than $1200. Is it functional, and do you have additional units? 😆
 
RetCurious said:

ThunderBird said:

Earlier today I picked up a lab-grade freezer from under the counter that reaches -20C (I'm not sure how that converts to freedom units, but I know it's cold). It comes with alarms and various extra features—when I went through the description, it mostly sounded like things to let me know whether it was cold or not, haha. After tax and fees, it came out to just under 100 USD. For keeping things stored long-term, does a unit like this actually help much, or will it perform any differently than a standard fridge? I'll include the listing for the freezer below. I'm just after some thoughts—if nothing else, I end up with a small freezer that has some cool stickers on it! To be upfront, this wasn't planned, but I figured it was neat!
Brand new, that thing costs more than $1200. Is it functional, and do you have additional units? 😆
The unit came from a government liquidation auction of a laboratory, so whether it functions is up in the air. There were several of them available, plus plenty of full-size upright freezers that sold for around 20-100 dollars. Since it was an auction, I didn't want to share it here and risk someone else grabbing the one I had my eye on, haha. The nearly identical second unit wound up selling for about 110, I believe.
 
-20C works out to roughly -4F. Compared with a standard freezer, that isn't a huge drop. Likely, keeping the temperature steady matters more.

If you want to know for sure, a temperature data logger could be worth picking up.
 
Was it needed? Not at all. But it's neat, and if the price were the same, would I have gone ahead and bought it? Absolutely.
 
V6R3W said:

-20C works out to roughly -4F. Compared with a standard freezer, that isn't a huge drop. Likely, keeping the temperature steady matters more.

If you want to know for sure, a temperature data logger could be worth picking up.
That seems like a solid idea—I’ll check it out, or I might just build one myself using an Arduino or a Pi.
 
ThunderBird said:

V6R3W said:

-20C works out to roughly -4F. Compared with a standard freezer, that isn't a huge drop. Likely, keeping the temperature steady matters more.

If you want to know for sure, a temperature data logger could be worth picking up.
That seems like a solid idea—I’ll check it out, or I might just build one myself using an Arduino or a Pi.
I'm fairly sure a ready-made solution already exists on instructables
 
Back
Top