Delayed injection-site reaction appearing at 5mg — anyone else?

jtx05

Explorer
Joined
Feb 9, 2026
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
Location
Katy
Hoping someone can share insight about localized skin reactions.

My wife had no issues at all through the entire 2.5mg phase and the first 5mg dose. But from the second 5mg shot onward, she started getting red, itchy, firm bumps at the injection site, showing up exactly 1 day after dosing. We've now completed the fourth 5mg dose, and the same reaction showed up again.

Is there anyone else who has dealt with this kind of "delayed" onset that only began after a dose increase? If so, did it clear up on its own once your body adjusted, or did you find particular strategies to reduce the redness and itching?

We alternate which side of the stomach we use each week.
 
jtx05 said:

Hoping someone can share insight about localized skin reactions.

My wife had no issues at all through the entire 2.5mg phase and the first 5mg dose. But from the second 5mg shot onward, she started getting red, itchy, firm bumps at the injection site, showing up exactly 1 day after dosing. We've now completed the fourth 5mg dose, and the same reaction showed up again.

Is there anyone else who has dealt with this kind of "delayed" onset that only began after a dose increase? If so, did it clear up on its own once your body adjusted, or did you find particular strategies to reduce the redness and itching?

We alternate which side of the stomach we use each week.
It wasn't a red bump in my case, but there was definitely itching throughout roughly the first 6 weeks of shots. I simply chalked it up to a histamine reaction.
 
Just to be pedantic, delayed reactions aren't histamine-mediated, since by definition those are rapid; if a reaction is delayed, it's presumably a cell-mediated immune response.

Injection site reactions that stay local are extremely common with any of the GLP's. They showed up in the studies, so it's most likely the drug itself rather than contaminants or bac water. Cross reactions are rare — apart from one person on this forum who reacts to all the GLPs, reta tirz and sema — so switching to a different GLP probably won't reproduce the same problem.

As long as the reactions stay local, with no rashes or other issues showing up elsewhere, it really comes down to how itchy and annoying they are, and they are very unlikely to go away. That leaves you with putting up with them, trying antihistamines to see if that helps, or swapping to a different GLP.

Trying different bac water does no real harm, but I doubt that's the issue. To be sure, you could do an injection of just the bac water and see whether she reacts to it.
 
Through my first 14 injections, spanning 2.5mg to 7.5mg, I had zero reactions. Then shot number 15 brought a delayed response: a small, itchy, red lump that showed up roughly 2 days afterward and stuck around for about 2 days. Now this week, with my 16th shot, another delayed reaction appeared just 1 day later — and it's still lingering after 3 days.

For the next dose, I plan to try my thigh instead, just to see whether that changes anything.

It's puzzling that my body took 15 weeks to start reacting, especially now that beach season is arriving. Oh well 🙃.
 
That's essentially the mechanism behind developing an allergy to something. Exposure has to happen first, so the immune system can make up its mind whether it will react or not. Reactions of that kind generally need weeks to months to show up, though days or years would be unusual. Theoretically, grey peptides could be more prone to triggering reactions, since impurities may act as immunising adjuvants, but reactions also happen very often with the legit versions.

Everything else I inject into my abdomen, but mots-c goes into my thigh, because I do react to it and in my leg it is less severe, or at least less irritating.
 
I was on brand-name mounjaro and began getting these red lumps that itch like crazy. I tried every suggestion people gave me and nothing helped. After that I switched to gray, and across 4 pins I had zero red lumps and no itching, and I'm now at 64 pins altogether. I also quit using the alcohol swabs on my skin and just washed with soap and water instead, though I doubt that's what made the difference.

The red lumps were pretty upsetting, and the itching usually hit at night.
 
Back
Top