Dairy-free shake options for a sensitive stomach?

bamagirl26

Explorer
Joined
Jul 14, 2026
Messages
331
Reaction score
0
Location
NE
My son talked me into buying the Premiere protein Chocolate peanut butter. Taste-wise it is great — but I suspect I am lactose intolerant, and these just sit in my upper stomach like a brick. I was out on a long bike ride, sitting on a bench, turned to say something to my husband and nearly brought it all back up on him! 🤮 Managed to keep it down and spare him, though it made me realise these ones probably are not right for me.

Orgain I have tried, and being dairy free those likely agree with me better, but the only flavours I have come across are chocolate and vanilla.. a bit dull.

There must be TONS of options out there. If dairy is a problem for you, which ones do you actually like? Thanks!
 
For most people with an intolerance, whey protein isolate is worth trying — beyond the protein and the added flavourings there is very little in it, so lactose levels tend to be minimal. The trade-off is cost: it is notably pricier, whereas plant-based proteins come in considerably cheaper but generally deliver a lower protein-to-serving ratio.
 
Count me in the same group — a lot of protein drinks set my gut off. My approach is unflavoured whey or pea isolate, blended into shakes myself.

True Nutrition has been my supplier for a while. They let you build your own flavour and there is a wide range to pick from.
 
Fairlife chocolate is the one I enjoy most, and:

Yes, all Fairlife protein shakes are completely lactose-free, including Core Power, Core Power Elite, and the Fairlife Nutrition Plan line

Click to expand...
 
Orgain's A2 milk shakes are at Costco now. Personally the flavour does not land as well for me as their original 30g protein drinks.
 
bamagirl26 said:

My son talked me into buying the Premiere protein Chocolate peanut butter. Taste-wise it is great — but I suspect I am lactose intolerant, and these just sit in my upper stomach like a brick. I was out on a long bike ride, sitting on a bench, turned to say something to my husband and nearly brought it all back up on him! 🤮 Managed to keep it down and spare him, though it made me realise these ones probably are not right for me.

Orgain I have tried, and being dairy free those likely agree with me better, but the only flavours I have come across are chocolate and vanilla.. a bit dull.

There must be TONS of options out there. If dairy is a problem for you, which ones do you actually like? Thanks!
A big single hit of dairy protein is more than some people can take.

Me, I can put away 90g of yogurt protein in one sitting!
 
Nutricost whey was my go-to for ages, but the pricing went silly and items kept going out of stock — and the last order I got from them seemed lower in quality than before. Time to look elsewhere.
 
Pocket said:

Do you want ready-made drinks only, or would powders be of interest too?
Either, honestly. I just need something protein-heavy that won't have me throwing up or feeling 12 months pregnant
 
bamagirl26 said:

My son talked me into buying the Premiere protein Chocolate peanut butter. Taste-wise it is great — but I suspect I am lactose intolerant, and these just sit in my upper stomach like a brick. I was out on a long bike ride, sitting on a bench, turned to say something to my husband and nearly brought it all back up on him! 🤮 Managed to keep it down and spare him, though it made me realise these ones probably are not right for me.

Orgain I have tried, and being dairy free those likely agree with me better, but the only flavours I have come across are chocolate and vanilla.. a bit dull.

There must be TONS of options out there. If dairy is a problem for you, which ones do you actually like? Thanks!
Should it turn out that lactose is genuinely the problem, dairy-based shakes probably are not going to work for you. If it is not, though, hydrolised whey protein isolate is worth a look — it is gentler on the digestive tract and gets absorbed faster than the standard isolate.
 
Right then — hydrolysed it is. Good to know what to keep an eye out for! Thanks everyone! The custom-powder site was a real find too: being able to pick your own additives is a nice touch, so I will read up on what each one does @Estarossa19.
 
Adding fairlife to my list as well. Speaking as someone who is lactose intolerant, nothing else comes close on calories per gram of protein for the money. Flavour is a bonus too.
 
Lucky me — no lactose intolerance here, and none of the powders I have tried have bothered me either. Dymatize ISO100 is the brand I keep coming back to, fruity pebbles especially. YUM!!
 
For flavour, nothing on the continent touches Fairlife. Sam's Club does carry a near-identical option at a low price though.
 
For convenience plus a big protein hit, a ready-made drink is hard to beat. Variety keeps me interested — Boost, Orgain, Adkins… and now that Fairlife keeps coming up, I will give that a look too.

One caveat worth passing on: I get through at least one of these daily myself, and I have come across plenty of reporting that plant-based protein drinks tend to carry a significant heavy-metals problem.
 
Fairlife chocolate it is, then — the consensus here is clear and I am with it. For a proper treat, stir in a few tablespoons of chocolate pudding mix (sugar free or regular, take your pick), freeze it overnight, then run it through a Ninja Creami. The result drinks like a thicker version of Dairy Queen soft serve, or a Wendy's Frosty.

Every few months Costco runs a manufacturer's rebate on the 18 packs, and that is when I stock up — the price falls from $40 to $32-34.
 
Back
Top