Cutting systemic inflammation — which GLP-1 wins?

Bioexplorer

Explorer
Joined
Apr 18, 2026
Messages
117
Reaction score
0
Location
Lexington, KY
There's something of a consensus around here that tirzepitide is the best of them for inflammation, with plenty of anecdotal reports that this particular dual agonist eases various ailments better than semaglutide or retatrutide. And a number of members say they moved from Reta to Tirz specifically to get that effect.

But hs-CRP is broadly accepted as the best marker of systemic inflammation, so a non-subjective way of measuring inflammation reduction is already available to us. 10mg Tirz produced a 34% reduction. EL reports a substantial reduction in the Reta trials, though I haven't come across any figures. Still, judging by the liver and kidney effects, a lot of people expect a bigger drop in hs-CRP than Tirz manages.

Have I missed some data with actual CRP numbers for Reta? And any thoughts on why Tirz might give a better subjective effect on inflammation when Reta probably delivers similar hs-CRP benefits?
 
Bioexplorer said:

There's something of a consensus around here that tirzepitide is the best of them for inflammation, with plenty of anecdotal reports that this particular dual agonist eases various ailments better than semaglutide or retatrutide. And a number of members say they moved from Reta to Tirz specifically to get that effect.

But hs-CRP is broadly accepted as the best marker of systemic inflammation, so a non-subjective way of measuring inflammation reduction is already available to us. 10mg Tirz produced a 34% reduction. EL reports a substantial reduction in the Reta trials, though I haven't come across any figures. Still, judging by the liver and kidney effects, a lot of people expect a bigger drop in hs-CRP than Tirz manages.

Have I missed some data with actual CRP numbers for Reta? And any thoughts on why Tirz might give a better subjective effect on inflammation when Reta probably delivers similar hs-CRP benefits?
I went looking, and the phase 2 and 3 trials mention significant changes against placebo for hs-crp, without any data attached.

Also, reta supposedly has higher GIP activation, so GIP isn't behind the inflammation effect. Tirz runs lower on GLP1 than Sema, so that isn't it either. I'd file this under: we know it brings inflammation down, we don't know the mechanism. And it is startling how many meds and how much medical practice we accept as doing x without anyone knowing why.

hs-CRP has its limits too. It isn't the be all end all. There's a whole area around cytokines, and hs-crp won't pick up inflammation that's localized to a tissue. Going further than that is well past what a health focused normie needs.
 
Reta has been shown to bring inflammation down. What isn't clear is whether that reduction on Reta happens independently of weight loss. We don't appear to know. And since Reta puts more strain on the body than Tirz, I'd be doubtful that it's independent, or if it is, that it does the job as well as Tirz.

Tirz, we know, has a large impact on inflammation. Anecdotally, my maintenance stack is a low dose, mostly Tirz with a little Reta (3.5mg/1mg), and my CRP came down from 2.1 to 0.2.
 
I talked to an AI about Tirz versus Reta for inflammation in the last week. Its consensus was that the reduction comes mainly from the weight loss. The quality data favours Tirz, largely because there's been more time to research it. It expects Reta to match Tirz, or perhaps beat it, but it didn't believe stacking Tirz with Reta would add anything to inflammation reduction unless it produced further weigh tloss.

Since hs-CRP came up: I began Tirz on 12/10/25. January brought 3 capillary drawn labs (Siphox and Rythm, capillary sucks). Reta started for me on 1/10/26. Venous labs (Labcorop) were done in May and June, and I'll have them again next month.

January: 2 results sitting at 2.0mg/L, and one in between that was considerably higher.

May, .66mg/L

June, .58mg/L

My weight came down from 274lb on the first January draw date to 217lb on the June draw date. In theory there's still ~30+lb to go before abs show up.
 
3486d91eb33a8752714a55b8758f19baf3f84dc814778464076652f7f5bf0e70.webp


Roughly the same as 15mg of tirz
 
What even is inflammation, and how would you know if you had it, or if it had cleared? Genuine question.

It's a normal function of the human body, a response to something being wrong. A serious inflammatory response would make itself known.

Get sleep, nutrition, stress and training perfect, and then worry about inflammation.
 
finesse said:

What even is inflammation, and how would you know if you had it, or if it had cleared? Genuine question.

It's a normal function of the human body, a response to something being wrong. A serious inflammatory response would make itself known.

Get sleep, nutrition, stress and training perfect, and then worry about inflammation.
Yeah, except people do sometimes have autoimmune conditions driving inflammation, or chronic injuries.

finesse said:

What even is inflammation, and how would you know if you had it, or if it had cleared? Genuine question.

It's a normal function of the human body, a response to something being wrong. A serious inflammatory response would make itself known.

Get sleep, nutrition, stress and training perfect, and then worry about inflammation.
Not wrong, and not right either. Sometimes inflammation has to be brought under control. So that sleep, stress and training can come down. Nutrition ought to be the cornerstone.
 
My most recent hs-CRP test was a couple of years back, when the GI doc was running everything to pin down severe abdominal pain. It came in over 80. And the possibility of a raging infection never once crossed his mind! An ER visit and a CT scan were what it finally took to get a diagnosis and antibiotics.
 
Reta is what got me into peptides in the first place. The edema in my ankles was gone inside the first week. Its anti-inflammatory effects strike me as underappreciated.
 
ronin365 said:

Reta is what got me into peptides in the first place. The edema in my ankles was gone inside the first week. Its anti-inflammatory effects strike me as underappreciated.
I agree! The joint stiffness is gone, along with the neck and back pains I was dealing with 2 months back. Whether it's from losing 20 lbs I can't say.
 
Well, I'll disagree that Tirz's anti-inflammatory benefits come primarily from weight loss, going on my own experience — though that's a trial group of exactly one. The anti-inflammatory side was a big part of why I went on Tirz at all; I'd reached the age where something hurt every single day. My reasoning was that if even a fraction of what people claimed about Tirz held up, I'd take it as a bonus. Aches and pains dropped SIGNIFICANTLY in the first week, far too early for weight loss to be the explanation. Inside a month I came off the Mobic I'd been taking for years. The only inflammation since then has come from those moments when the Tirz whispers, "Don't you feel like you're 20 again?!" and I go and do something stupid until I remember I'm 65.
 
finesse said:

What even is inflammation, and how would you know if you had it, or if it had cleared? Genuine question.

It's a normal function of the human body, a response to something being wrong. A serious inflammatory response would make itself known.

Get sleep, nutrition, stress and training perfect, and then worry about inflammation.
Where metabolic syndrome goes along with type 2 diabetes, inflammasomes form around the pancreas, which only makes the problem worse.
 
What I saw was skin inflammation on my thighs gradually improving, spreading out from the Victoza (lira) injection sites, despite losing no weight and getting no reduction in blood sugar from this aGLP-1.

With Reta the trouble is that it aggravates a minor chronic viral infection (pityriasis). And having watched every episode of House, I know corticosteroids aren't given for an infection. The effect seems similar, perhaps indirectly.
 
FWIW, my inflammation story goes like this: 6 months on Tirzepatide took 60 pounds off me. Once that period ended I had a blood test, and it showed elevated inflammation. CRP came back at 3.0, and a second calculated marker, SII (Systemic Immune-Inflammation Index), landed at 1892. Anything up to 0-800 is the accepted normal range for the latter. Apparently it read high because of neutrophils being high and lymphoctyes being low, both of which feed into the SII calculation.

Every AI engine I put my data through took the view that the inflammation was connected to physiological stress from losing weight fast. They expected SII to come down once my weight had stabilised. So the conclusion, I suppose, is that although Tirzepatide may bring inflammation down, rapid weight loss can do the opposite — at least for a while.

Has anyone else had this happen?
 
FartfulCodger said:

FWIW, my inflammation story goes like this: 6 months on Tirzepatide took 60 pounds off me. Once that period ended I had a blood test, and it showed elevated inflammation. CRP came back at 3.0, and a second calculated marker, SII (Systemic Immune-Inflammation Index), landed at 1892. Anything up to 0-800 is the accepted normal range for the latter. Apparently it read high because of neutrophils being high and lymphoctyes being low, both of which feed into the SII calculation.

Every AI engine I put my data through took the view that the inflammation was connected to physiological stress from losing weight fast. They expected SII to come down once my weight had stabilised. So the conclusion, I suppose, is that although Tirzepatide may bring inflammation down, rapid weight loss can do the opposite — at least for a while.

Has anyone else had this happen?
Interesting. That's a new one on me
 
Scientifically I've no idea, and I haven't had any bloodwork on this subject (yet). What follows is only my own experience (and of course experiences differ).

I began on Tirz & my pain levels dropped right from the start. Not long after, dazzled by the idea of faster weight loss, I decided to move to Reta, and the pain came straight back (both were started low, as side effects worried me). That's why I went for a stack. Now, up at 5.5 Tirz & 3 Reta, the pain comes and goes but is far better controlled.
 
spanky2026 said:

Well, I'll disagree that Tirz's anti-inflammatory benefits come primarily from weight loss, going on my own experience — though that's a trial group of exactly one. The anti-inflammatory side was a big part of why I went on Tirz at all; I'd reached the age where something hurt every single day. My reasoning was that if even a fraction of what people claimed about Tirz held up, I'd take it as a bonus. Aches and pains dropped SIGNIFICANTLY in the first week, far too early for weight loss to be the explanation. Inside a month I came off the Mobic I'd been taking for years. The only inflammation since then has come from those moments when the Tirz whispers, "Don't you feel like you're 20 again?!" and I go and do something stupid until I remember I'm 65.
My point isn't that GLP-1s lack an anti-inflammatory effect. It's that the benefit showing up ahead of the weight loss doesn't really rule out weight loss as the driver. Body mass isn't the whole story — energy abundance versus scarcity plays a big part in inflammatory tone. Once you're running a meaningful calorie deficit, a large fall in inflammation is what you'd predict, because that's simply part of the physiological response to scarcity, and it arrives before the scale moves. Blood pressure behaves the same way, with the gains mostly arriving ahead of the actual weight loss.
 
A wild personal speculation: the gap people perceive between tirz and reta on inflammation might have less to do with any real anti-inflammatory difference and more to do with sensory perception.

Consider the skin sensitivity issues that come with reta. It could be a direct pain response from reta acting on skin tissue (though I don't remember many relevant receptors in that tissue), or an indirect one through hepatokines or adipokines or whatever. But there's a compelling alternative: it could come down to how existing nervous signals are perceived. The nervous system is loaded with GLP-1 and glucagon receptors, and reta may be changing how sensory signals already being generated get transmitted. So instead of reta creating skin pain itself, it makes sensations that already exist more noticed.

Much the same mechanism could apply to inflammatory discomfort. Rather than one being better or worse for inflammation, which we don't really have evidence for, it could be that reta makes inflammation that's already there more noticeable.

But that's feral speculation.
 
SVT810E said:

A wild personal speculation: the gap people perceive between tirz and reta on inflammation might have less to do with any real anti-inflammatory difference and more to do with sensory perception.

Consider the skin sensitivity issues that come with reta. It could be a direct pain response from reta acting on skin tissue (though I don't remember many relevant receptors in that tissue), or an indirect one through hepatokines or adipokines or whatever. But there's a compelling alternative: it could come down to how existing nervous signals are perceived. The nervous system is loaded with GLP-1 and glucagon receptors, and reta may be changing how sensory signals already being generated get transmitted. So instead of reta creating skin pain itself, it makes sensations that already exist more noticed.

Much the same mechanism could apply to inflammatory discomfort. Rather than one being better or worse for inflammation, which we don't really have evidence for, it could be that reta makes inflammation that's already there more noticeable.

But that's feral speculation.
Sounds like a partial exorcism is in order, and elora is the tool, haha.

On a more positive note:

GLP-1 receptor agonists for nerve pain and neurodegenerative conditions: how they work, what they might achieve, where research is heading

Progress on GLP-1 receptor agonists as pain treatments, and the potential still to come

GLP-1 receptor agonists and DPP-4 inhibitors in nerve pain: what they do therapeutically and what that means clinically
 
To my mind, weight loss plus a better diet is what contributes most to bringing inflammation down.

Reta, though, is proven to cut liver fat substantially, and fatty liver is a big driver of metabolic dysfunction.
 
Back
Top