Cutting retatrutide while still lifting heavy

lastresort

Explorer
Joined
Mar 10, 2026
Messages
439
Reaction score
0
Location
NorthEast US
Has anyone here run into downsides after lowering their retatrutide dose?

Right now I'm on RT at 15mg plus 700mg/week of T propionate, and although it got me past the 240lb plateau, I keep wondering whether such a big RT dose is blunting muscle synthesis. Between the anecdotes I have read and how RT is supposed to work, it comes down to three points:

1. Ongoing GCG receptor activation drags mTOR activation down, which cuts into muscle synthesis and makes the whole picture effectively catabolic.

2. That said, retatrutide favours lipid oxidation over amino acid oxidation, so it wastes less muscle than you might fear.

3. Anabolics block the pathways that break muscle down while raising nitrogen retention and synthesis.

So the real question is whether 15mg of retatrutide still earns its keep. I began at 2mg in March and climbed steadily through 4mg, 6mg, 8mg, 12mg and 14mg. Fair warning: I have had neither the time (nor, thanks to a few surprise expenses, the money) for a DEXA scan, yet raising the reta dose never noticeably sped my fat loss up.

On the other side of it, some people reported that stacking reta onto anabolics made cutting far easier, at the price of visibly slower muscle growth.

Would it be sensible to try pulling the retatrutide dose back and just watching what happens?

EDIT: typical daily intake lands around 200-240g protein, 170-200g carbohydrate and under 40g fat.
 
I'm running 12mg a week and I'm also feeling like it needs to come down. I'm not eating enough to hit my cut macros. For the December lean bulk I'm eyeing 6mg a week, and that means forcing in more carbs plus 2 extra chicken/beef/pork meals each day to reach the targets I have set.

Below is what a normal day looks like for me - nowhere near enough, given that I am aiming at 2,114 kcal | 224.5g P | 73g F | 181g C (123g Net C)

Totals for the day: August 12

  • ~1491 kcal - Calories
  • ~144g - Protein
  • ~59g - Net Carbohydrates
  • ~72g - Fats
Line-by-line breakdown

  • Nurri 30g Protein Shake: fat 1.5g | net carbs 2g | protein 30g | 150 kcal
  • 12.0 oz Simply Nature 85/15 Ground Beef (3 patties): fat 51g | net carbs 0g | protein 63g | 720 kcal
  • 2 Aunt Millie’s Live Carb Smart Buns: fat 3g | net carbs 6g | protein 12g | 100 kcal
  • 4 tbsp G Hughes Maple Brown BBQ Sauce: fat 0g | net carbs 4g | protein 0g | 20 kcal
  • 1 Medium Banana (118g): fat 0.4g | net carbs 24g | protein 1.3g | 105 kcal
  • 1/2 cup Meijer Cottage Cheese: fat 1g | net carbs 6g | protein 12g | 80 kcal
  • 1 container Friendly Farms Super Zero Greek Yogurt (Mixed Berry): fat 0g | net carbs 7g | protein 15g | 90 kcal
  • Fried Onions (1/4 cup estimate): fat 7g | net carbs 8g | protein 1g | 100 kcal
  • 1 Medium Apple: fat 0.3g | net carbs 19g | protein 0.5g | 95 kcal
  • 1/2 cup Mixed Berries: fat 0.2g | net carbs 7g | protein 0.5g | 40 kcal
 
Such1943 said:

I'm running 12mg a week and I'm also feeling like it needs to come down. I'm not eating enough to hit my cut macros. For the December lean bulk I'm eyeing 6mg a week, and that means forcing in more carbs plus 2 extra chicken/beef/pork meals each day to reach the targets I have set.

Below is what a normal day looks like for me - nowhere near enough, given that I am aiming at 2,114 kcal | 224.5g P | 73g F | 181g C (123g Net C)

Totals for the day: August 12

  • ~1491 kcal - Calories
  • ~144g - Protein
  • ~59g - Net Carbohydrates
  • ~72g - Fats
Line-by-line breakdown

  • Nurri 30g Protein Shake: fat 1.5g | net carbs 2g | protein 30g | 150 kcal
  • 12.0 oz Simply Nature 85/15 Ground Beef (3 patties): fat 51g | net carbs 0g | protein 63g | 720 kcal
  • 2 Aunt Millie’s Live Carb Smart Buns: fat 3g | net carbs 6g | protein 12g | 100 kcal
  • 4 tbsp G Hughes Maple Brown BBQ Sauce: fat 0g | net carbs 4g | protein 0g | 20 kcal
  • 1 Medium Banana (118g): fat 0.4g | net carbs 24g | protein 1.3g | 105 kcal
  • 1/2 cup Meijer Cottage Cheese: fat 1g | net carbs 6g | protein 12g | 80 kcal
  • 1 container Friendly Farms Super Zero Greek Yogurt (Mixed Berry): fat 0g | net carbs 7g | protein 15g | 90 kcal
  • Fried Onions (1/4 cup estimate): fat 7g | net carbs 8g | protein 1g | 100 kcal
  • 1 Medium Apple: fat 0.3g | net carbs 19g | protein 0.5g | 95 kcal
  • 1/2 cup Mixed Berries: fat 0.2g | net carbs 7g | protein 0.5g | 40 kcal
Oh, so you're cutting pretty aggressively then.

I basically dropped meat entirely - even the smell of it cooking is enough to make me feel full.
 
Even in a deficit I keep adding strength - I'm running 225mg Test Cyp TRT, 5.5ius gh and 4mg Reta. My training is animal-level and I eat to a plan rather than to appetite.

If you're putting the food away, the Reta will not stop you getting bigger, but it can certainly make eating harder, and that could hold you back depending on how it lands - a lower dose may be what you need.

Going by the macros you listed, you simply are not eating enough to bulk.
 
Are you cutting still, or bulking by now? How many calories are you taking in? 700mg is a hefty amount, so muscle preservation shouldn't be an issue while you are still in a deficit. Even so, packing on much muscle during a cut is tough - it can happen, just slowly. The reta itself I do not see getting in the way, apart from making it hard to eat enough. My move would be to lower the dose until a slight deficit is easy to hold. From there, if your training is heavy enough, you will recomp gradually. Bulking instead? Then it is straightforward: cut the reta and eat more. Your training might also be the bottleneck.

For hypertrophy I would say this: take each working set all the way to failure. Then on the last set of the movement (I run 3 sets per exercise), after failure arrives, grind out partials until the weight will only travel a couple of inches. Every muscle group worked two times a week, at least 10-12 sets total across the week (and legs don't get skipped!). With everything driven to failure, tracking progressive overload stops mattering and there is nothing to overthink. Expect it to blow you up pretty fast, especially with 700mg of test behind it.
 
On the subject of going to failure - can you actually overtrain?? Everyone tells you something different, and at this point I am just like "idk whats right anymore" lol
 
Back
Top