Crypto newbie seeking guidance on vendor payment

dayumay

Explorer
Joined
May 1, 2026
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
Location
Chiang Mai
I'm getting ready for my 3rd purchase on the grey market, but the 2 vendors I've dealt with before who take Alipay (which is quick and easy for me) don't carry the item I want to buy. That means I have to go with a different seller, and sadly they only take crypto, which I know nothing about. For the past 2-3 days I've been trying to study up on how crypto transactions work, but I'm still pretty lost. So my question: is there any issue with topping up Exodus and then sending directly to the vendor?

Or do I need to put money into Coinbase first, then move it to Exodus, and only then send it to the vendor? That feels like a marathon to me, since I've only ever used Alipay and never had issues — it takes 1 minute to transfer, and my Alipay is linked to my debit card.

If I've broken any forum rules with this post, I apologize.
 
I wouldn't call myself an expert, though I have completed 20-30 purchases without issues. There may be more efficient routes, but here's what I do:

I get Ethereum through coinbase (or coinbase wallet), move it over to coinbase wallet, then use the unipay extension to swap Ethereum into USDT eth (USDT sol also exists, which is really confusing, and a newcomer might struggle to distinguish them. Each one has small colored flags tied to it). After the right crypto is swapped, all that's left is pasting the address you want into the send to field, and picking the right crypto to send (just so you know, that's the specific symbol for usdt, which every vendor accepts. The vendor gives you an address (or you can ask for a particular one, i always ask for usdt) that appears as a mix of numbers and letters, you could also scan a qr code, i never bother.

The bigger concern is making sure you're actually talking to the real vendor and not a scammer who looks identical to the vendor, otherwise your money goes into the ether, never to come back.

.




0a64e46588f075dbc36e243ce93df456ec2b4b33b8c2999b6a199b998ed4be3c.webp
 
Still pretty green, but I managed to work it out — honestly it looks more complicated than it really is. The most useful tips I've picked up:

Keep all vendor contact over email (and remember time zones differ, so give them time to reply).

Before sending the full amount, try a small test transfer of about $5.

Besides whichever crypto you're buying, make sure you also grab some SOL for your wallet — it covers the "transmission fee" every time you send $$ to someone, usually just a few cents, so $5 worth of SOL lasts a long while. On my first attempted buy I hadn't bought any SOL, and the transaction refused to go through until I did.

Once you've created Coinbase or whichever service you pick, link a debit card right away. I learned this the hard way — if you add $$ to a fresh CB account by other methods, those funds get stuck in a mandatory hold period before you can touch them. Money from a debit card is ready to move immediately.

Personally I purchase USDC and always route it over the SOL network, though you might prefer something else.

As for your question about sending directly from CB — from what I understand, that's a good way to get flagged or compromised. Shifting your $ into a wallet is much safer and more secure. My flow is: bring $ into Coinbase as USDC, then send it to Phantom wallet. I began with Kraken wallet but it turned out to be buggy as hell.

Be patient with yourself. My first buy was a mess of stumbling over my own ignorance, but I got there in the end. Good luck!
 
Yes — Exodus lets you top up funds and then forward them directly to the vendor. There are folks who enjoy juggling the buying and swapping of several different coins. Personally, I don't see what that gains you.

In my view, the most straightforward route is to purchase BTC (Bitcoin) through Exodus and then use that BTC for every purchase you make.
 
spanky2026 said:

Still pretty green, but I managed to work it out — honestly it looks more complicated than it really is. The most useful tips I've picked up:

Keep all vendor contact over email (and remember time zones differ, so give them time to reply).

Before sending the full amount, try a small test transfer of about $5.

Besides whichever crypto you're buying, make sure you also grab some SOL for your wallet — it covers the "transmission fee" every time you send $$ to someone, usually just a few cents, so $5 worth of SOL lasts a long while. On my first attempted buy I hadn't bought any SOL, and the transaction refused to go through until I did.

Once you've created Coinbase or whichever service you pick, link a debit card right away. I learned this the hard way — if you add $$ to a fresh CB account by other methods, those funds get stuck in a mandatory hold period before you can touch them. Money from a debit card is ready to move immediately.

Personally I purchase USDC and always route it over the SOL network, though you might prefer something else.

As for your question about sending directly from CB — from what I understand, that's a good way to get flagged or compromised. Shifting your $ into a wallet is much safer and more secure. My flow is: bring $ into Coinbase as USDC, then send it to Phantom wallet. I began with Kraken wallet but it turned out to be buggy as hell.

Be patient with yourself. My first buy was a mess of stumbling over my own ignorance, but I got there in the end. Good luck!
This is the simplest and most effective tip. Some people bring up BTC and ETH—they do have their purposes, but they aren't ideal for sending money to vendors. Phantom wallet is also far superior to the Exodus option that keeps getting pushed by everyone.
 
Standish said:

Yes — Exodus lets you top up funds and then forward them directly to the vendor. There are folks who enjoy juggling the buying and swapping of several different coins. Personally, I don't see what that gains you.

In my view, the most straightforward route is to purchase BTC (Bitcoin) through Exodus and then use that BTC for every purchase you make.
That approach works, but it ties an unchangeable, permanent record to your actual identity showing you did something not entirely legal. If the government ever wants an easy victory in the "War on Drugs," you're the easiest target they'll find.

When you route through an intermediary wallet, the authorities have to establish that the middle wallet is yours. That's enough hassle that they'll pass you over in favor of folks who simply pay straight from their own wallet.

On top of that, bitcoin comes with fees, price swings, and slow confirmations.

Fees have been cheap lately, roughly 0.5 USD per transaction, but there have been stretches lasting multiple months where each transaction cost more than 20 USD.

Like most crypto, bitcoin's value jumps around a lot. Over the past month it dropped 20%, so anyone who bought a month ago in preparation has already watched one-fifth of their money disappear.

And bitcoin's block time sits at 10 minutes. Since lots of vendors ask for 2–3 confirmations, most transactions need at least 20 minutes to settle, though sometimes it drags on far longer, occasionally as much as 24 hours.

Switching to another crypto such as USDC or USDT on Solana solves every one of those issues. Solana's fees are tiny, usually somewhere between 0.0004 USD and 0.015 USD; USDT and USDC are stablecoins whose value barely moves, and Solana's block time is 400 milliseconds, so nearly every transaction finishes clearing before your browser or app even gets a chance to refresh.
 
maokai said:

spanky2026 said:

Still pretty green, but I managed to work it out — honestly it looks more complicated than it really is. The most useful tips I've picked up:

Keep all vendor contact over email (and remember time zones differ, so give them time to reply).

Before sending the full amount, try a small test transfer of about $5.

Besides whichever crypto you're buying, make sure you also grab some SOL for your wallet — it covers the "transmission fee" every time you send $$ to someone, usually just a few cents, so $5 worth of SOL lasts a long while. On my first attempted buy I hadn't bought any SOL, and the transaction refused to go through until I did.

Once you've created Coinbase or whichever service you pick, link a debit card right away. I learned this the hard way — if you add $$ to a fresh CB account by other methods, those funds get stuck in a mandatory hold period before you can touch them. Money from a debit card is ready to move immediately.

Personally I purchase USDC and always route it over the SOL network, though you might prefer something else.

As for your question about sending directly from CB — from what I understand, that's a good way to get flagged or compromised. Shifting your $ into a wallet is much safer and more secure. My flow is: bring $ into Coinbase as USDC, then send it to Phantom wallet. I began with Kraken wallet but it turned out to be buggy as hell.

Be patient with yourself. My first buy was a mess of stumbling over my own ignorance, but I got there in the end. Good luck!
This is the simplest and most effective tip. Some people bring up BTC and ETH—they do have their purposes, but they aren't ideal for sending money to vendors. Phantom wallet is also far superior to the Exodus option that keeps getting pushed by everyone.
Whether a wallet is 'better' or not, I honestly can't tell what difference it would make—but if it works for you, that's what counts...Coinbase serves as my 'on ramp' for getting $$ turned into USDC automatically...once I'm set to buy, I message the vendor on whatsapp...once the price is settled, I shift the agreed amount from Coinbase over to Exodus and then directly onward to the vendor. Exodus never really holds much—just a small leftover of USDC plus the necessary Eth and Sol to cover transfers.

There are still perhaps 3-4 orders that are slowly arriving, but after not too many more transactions, the storage boxes will be at capacity and Coinbase or Exodus won't serve much purpose for me anymore...
 
Back
Top