randompersonrandom
Explorer
Calm Logic said:
BNLFL said:
Yeah, I've been thinking about the beer for a while now—it just makes me feel full and I don't really get much pleasure from it anymore. It wasn't a problem before, but it tracks that things changed once I began this at the start of Feb. Like I said, I'm grateful for everyone's feedback.
Yes, the current line is that "there is no healthy amount of alcohol." Back when it was believed to benefit the heart, I would occasionally enjoy a glass of wine with a meal (the buzz being an extra perk), but these days I mostly just have plain water or hot black coffee.
So, @BNLFL, have you given the zero-alcohol beers a shot? They're actually quite decent. As for catching a buzz, marijuana gummies once struck me as nearly healthy, yet a small study (CANDIDE study, 2025) indicates they harm the endothelium.
A liver specialist on Reddit claims the top "supplement" for the liver is black coffee. NAC is a solid supplement overall, but particularly for the liver:
Gemini said:
If you are using NAC specifically to protect your liver from alcohol, timing is everything:
Take it BEFORE drinking: Taking NAC an hour or two before alcohol can help prime the liver and prevent damage.
Avoid it DURING/AFTER drinking: Some studies suggest that taking NAC after you’ve already started drinking (or while hungover) might actually increase liver stress or toxicity. It’s best used as a "pre-game" preventative rather than a "morning-after" cure.
Click to expand...
My second husband struggled with alcohol use, so I always kept those at home as a sort of bargain I could offer whenever I really needed him to stay sober for some event or another. (note: that doesn't work, but I was young). I drank them too, in "solidarity," and ended up liking them so much that I still do. It's soda, just not over-the-top sweet.